Author Topic: Dental Cavities [Caries]: How to Fix [Heal] my Teeth Naturally  (Read 86962 times)

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
Dental Cavities [Caries]: How to Fix [Heal] my Teeth Naturally
« on: December 30, 2006, 10:41:38 PM »
Hi again! Me with all my questions!! This site is just awesome!! ;D

Here it goes: I know I have cavaties. I will not go to the dentist. I want to know if there is something I can do naturally to "fix" my teeth. I hardly every drink pop or juices. I do like sweets, but I try to brush my teeth right after eating sweets. Is there anything to fix the cavaties? Also, should I be rinsing my mouth with some sort of mouth wash? I'm thinking more of some home made really good for your gums and everything else mouth wash.  ::) Anyone know of anything like that? I would sure appreciate ALL the advice I can get on naturally taking care of teeth... oh, and our toothpaste is fluoride free (fluoride is really bad for you ;))

Hope to get a lot of replies asap!!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
Re: Dental Cavities [Caries]: How to Fix [Heal] my Teeth Naturally
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 02:43:21 AM »
To minimize and stop the damage already happening in your mouth the most important thing you can do is stop all processed sugar -- including processed sugar found in packaged foods.

Sugar in its natural state is packaged in fruit and vegetables and accompanied by the proper balance of enzymes, vitamins, minerals and other trace elements that your body requires to get the greatest benefit, supporting digestion and replenishing itself. Processed sugar offers you none of this and forces your body to draw from its own stores in order to deal with and dispense with it.

Your body has to draw on its reserves of minerals and nutrients in order to deal with any processed sugar you consume. Think of processed sugar as an "anti-nutrient." One sure way to weaken bones (teeth), immune function and overall health is to consume processed sugar.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 03:37:10 PM by chopchop »

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 11:30:30 AM »
I've mentioned it before here somewhere... cloves are a wonderful thing for teeth. I have overcome a couple tooth or gum infections by just placing two or three cloves between my cheek and the offending area. I keep the cloves in and kind of suck on them until they start to deteriorate at which time I chew and swallow them or spit them out. I then put a new set it. Usually in less than a day the infection is gone.

Cinnamon can also be used, but it is usually hotter... some people can take it, others cannot. I like cloves. I munch on cinnamon sticks now and then for a nice post-meal desert / digestive aid. Remember that cinnamon can also lower blood sugar... don't eat too much, especially if you are diabetic or hypoglycemic.

Mind you, this does nothing for the actual cavity (if there is one), the hole is still there, the infection is just gone now.

Remember that tooth/gum infections can be some of the worst that you can get. If you decide to treat one naturally, treat it aggressively. They can be life threatening. As with all infections, the earlier you begin treatment, the better.

--gabe

PS: I would love to see some experimenting with Xylitol. Some of the stories claim that Xylitol actually helps rebuild tooth enamel. Seems unlikely, but... like I said, I'd love to see some experiments.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 11:34:48 AM by Gabriel Anast »

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 11:52:41 AM »
Gabe, is a cavity itself an infection, or the result of feeding bacteria?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 03:11:40 PM »

I do not know if this will work on cavities but I know that dentists use it regularly in Austrailia to treat gum disease.  My husband has a horrible propensity to cavities and my daughter inherited it.  They call it "aggressive bacteria."  Some folks could eat straight sugar and let it sit on their teeth and wouldn't get a cavity (that would be me  ;D), others have aggressive bacteria.  If a person has a propensity to cavities they probably have aggressive bacteria. 

That all said - here's what my husband and daughter do.  My husband takes tea trea oil and puts several drops on his regular toothpaste (varies between tea tree oil toothpaste and regular toothpaste).  He brushes really well his teeth and gums with this every day.  If it seems like he's getting a cavity or gengivitis again he will put a few drops of TTO in his mouth and swish with it, spit it out, and then brush with his usual TTO and toothpaste. 

My daughter uses ACT flouride to swish with at bedtime in addition to her regular brushing.  There are two kinds of flouride and it's important to know the distinction.  The flouride they put in our water (yuck!) is a by-product of aluminum plant production.  The flouride you get in toothpaste and flouride rinses is "real" flouride not a by-product of aluminum production.  When we asked our naturapath about this (and a friend asked hers and got the same answer) she said that if a child had a propensity to cavities swishing with the flouride and spitting it out is totally harmless.  My friend's ND went a step further and said if there are concerns a child might swallow some of it (because it is bad for you internally) then using a flouride paste that is brushed on the teeth and then rinsed and spit out is better.  Since my daughter is almost 9 I don't worry about her swallowing any of it.  My other kids don't need it so I don't have them use it. 

Once a cavity is gone it will still leave a hole in the tooth that is going to be a problem for future bacteria.  The only way to fill it that I know of is to use a composite material (resin based).  Otherwise, you'll just have a hole.  I suppose if you used the TTO daily the hole might not present a problem.  Just a caution - do be careful about not getting rid of any health issues in the mouth.  We fully believe my MIL's cancer was caused by an infection in her mouth that she was unaware of until it surfaced on/under the gum  (see WestonPrice stuff).

HTH

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline lynn

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:53:08 AM »
I just came home from the dentist with my three girls.  My oldest dd had a great check up but the younger two-OH MY :o  Of course we have requested the past two visits that the kids don't receive flouride treatments and we skipped our last 6 mo. appt. (I'm real popular in that office right now ;))  I spent a fortune last May on the kids teeth and unfortunately it's going to happen again.  My 5yo had a upper molar that has been causing her pain the dentist said that even though he filled it last year the cavity has gone deeper and is huge! The tooth now needs a silver cap!  Ditto with my 9yo dd!  My 9yo also needs a tooth pulled and he wants to put a sealent on her tooth.  My 5yo has two small cavities he wants to fill.  OK, if he filled the molars last year why have the cavities come back- did he miss something ???  Anyway what really ticked me off is he acted like I was neglecting my kids because of their teeth (we cancelled our appt. last Nov.-basically because I was still paying on work they had the following appt.)  then he looked at me and asked if my kids were vaccinated!  What does that have to do with their teeth >:(   I'm think I need to switch dentist but I don't know what to do about the work they need done, any suggestions? 

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:46:13 AM »
I ran into similar problems with a dentist. My son showed me this HUGE cavity and so I took him in. Huge means that half the tooth was missing. We were on a waiting list for app 3 to 4 months before he was finally seen. I kept that thing SO clean. It was NOT going to get worse now that I knew about it.

We went in and the dentist acted like I was dirt. She was mad about the no flouride. Then she tells me he has 4 more cavities and will need to be put to sleep to take care of them. I just felt bad about that. Then I got put on a waiting list for 4 more months!

One day my dh looked at my son's cavity and said, "Didn't he have one filling before? I don't see it. I think this cavity is from the filling falling out!" I looked and sure enough, that is what it was. I had been beating myself up because I let half my kids tooth rott away and the dentist and lectured me and treated me badly, when it was a tooth she had filled less than a year before!

Then my oldest son had an absessed tooth, the absess was UNDER a filling she had done. We got in as an emergency (still had not had 2nd son taken care of because we were on that list) and she decided she needed to pull that tooth and replace another filling....did that 4 weeks later. I was not happy.

I explained to her that my middle son's front teeth (that she said had cavities) were loose, so she would only be filling 3 cavities on the surgery date (about 3 weeks away). She said, no, she would be pulling them then! We went around and around and I finally gave up, smiled and left the office. On the way home I called TONS of places.

The next day I called TONS more. I finally found a dentist that accepted our insurance. We got in within a month (no 4 months of waiting). I right off explained that I was against flouride and he said, "I don't agree with you but I respect your opinion." That was that! The other one had argued with me. I do not feel that I have to explain myself to anyone else.

Anyway, within 1 month we had my middle son's teeth fixed. He was put to sleep, but at a nice surgery center. The dentist that did the silver cap was pleased with how we kept the tooth clean and had even heard of xylitol (I was using it and not sugar). He did not fill OR pull the loose teeth.

So, all that for my advice:

Find another dentist. Explain that you are not pleased with the work that the last dentist has been doing. Explain that the cavities that were already filled are worse and need to be refilled. Also state that you do not appriciate being made to feel as if it is your fault. Do NOT say anything bad about the other dentist, just make the statements with an "I" at the beginning. This way you are not written off as a complainer. You are telling your feelings and not saying, "Can you believe this!?!?" to them.

The cavities with fillings already WILL need to be fixed. Why do I say this? Because they were already drilled and compromised. The infection that was not taken out is getting bigger and badder. The tiny cavities can be fixed by keeping them clean. I personally like xylitol. Eat it, chew it and rinse with it. I would do the garlic or cloves against those teeth to kill the infection and then use the xylitol. I know some people do not like xylitol, so if you are one, then just keep it really clean. Brush often. I have had cavities that I did not get filled that were gone the next time I went it. I kept them clean and brushed all the time (pre-xylitol). Hope it works out, CJ

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »
My daughter always had really awful teeth.  Everytime we went to the dentist she had more then one new cavity.  Thankfully, I had a really good dentist.  At that time I was researching flouride and pulled everything flouride ouf of their lives and put in xylitol.  Beka had recommended The xylowhite and that's what we started using (wow is that pretty cheap!).  I also started letting my kids chew a piece of trident gum with xylitol in it at least once a day.  We've moved and have a new dentist.  It's been over a year since my kids went to the dentist and the older one had a small cavity that was next to a filling.  But the tooth is loose and the dentist said he wouldn't fix it because she was going to lose it within 6 months anyway.  So the little girl who always had 3-4 cavities stopped getting them when I went to xylitol.  The one she did have was the result of a poorly done filling originally.  And, oh yes, CHANGE dentists.  If you kept from saying something rude to that person, you are better then I.   ::) :P

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline rockclimber

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:35:15 PM »
I'd like to add my two cents and recommend finding a new dentist.  When I got married, I had to find a new dentist because of my change in insurance.  I got a recommendation from a friend.  I liked my old dentist, but it only took one apt. for me to be grateful that I had to change dentists.  One of the first things the new dentist did was to replace my mercury/amalgam fillings  (I only had a few)and a bad composite filling.  When my new dentist saw the cavity under the bad composite filling, he commented that the dentist that put it in didn't know what he was doing.  Then my new dentist explained to me that as soon as the technology came out for composite fillings, he switched his whole office over from doing mercury fillings to only composite fillings - he didn't want to be constantly exposed to the mercury.  So he's been doing composite fillings for a long time.  So if you go looking for a new dentist, try to find one that has been doing composite fillings for a long time. (I;m just assming that if you want to keep flouride out of your mouth, you probably feel the same with mercury amalgams :) ).

Also, here is some new info I learned from my dentist apt. last week:  I have a few small cavities, but my dentist doesn't want to fill them because they're still shallow.  He said that if the cavities stay in the outside enamel, there is a possibility that the body can heal that (maybe re-calcification, not sure), but if the cavity gets into the inner soft dentin, then that can't be corrected on it's own - and will probably get worse, and that's when he would put in a filling. 

So to help the teeth when the cavity is only in the enamel, my dental hygenist recommended flouride mouthwash, of course.  She knows that I avoid flouride, and she said dabbing some flouride mouthwash on the teeth with a qtip would decrease the overall exposure while still getting it on the teeth.  She also recommeded liquid calcium that you can get at a health food store.  I think she recommended swishing with it and taking it internally (swallowing).  If I remember right, she said that both flouride and calcium work to recalcify the enamel on the teeth, but flouride can withstand a more acidic environment, which is why she thinks flouride works better than calcium. in the mouth.  Anyway, in the little bit of looking i've done, it looks like the Now brand liquid cal-mag might be a good option because it doesn't have any sweeteners except xylitol and doesn't have citric acid (i'm trying to avoid citric acid because of an anti-fungal diet).  One more thing that she suggested, you probably already know this, but she suggested green tea because it has natural flouride in it.

Hope you're able to find a wonderful dentist.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
I thought I would add my .02 here, because I cannot find a better thread to place it in.  I have been drinking raw milk for a little over a year, now.  I have had an ENTIRE year of perfectly healthy teeth.  The first time in my LIFE!  I have always been prone to dental carries.  As a child, using fluoride consistently, and as an adult with a fluoride free toothpaste.  But since I have started with raw milk, my teeth have been stronger, as well as my gums.  And honestly, I have been lax on my brushing and flossing.  My dental hygienist, who is also my Aunt, was curious as to how I got my teeth to do a 180, since she has always known my teeth to be a problem.  I told her that we started drinking raw milk, and was it possible that the calcium in the milk was helping?  She said it could be a possibility. I am glad for the research of Dr. Weston Price.  I would have definitely made a good case study.  ;D (<--those are my teeth, now. lol)

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 05:48:49 PM »
I think I have a dental cavity or two.  I have black spots that have appeared on two of my back jaw teeth.  I cannot eat anything sweet on those teeth as it causes severe pain.  I've never had a cavity before and do not want to get a filling.  Has anyone had success trying to heal a cavity?  I read this on the Weston A. Price Foundation site and think that maybe I could heal it.  Any thoughts?
Vitamin K2 and Dental Health

Weston Price was primary interested in Activator X because of its ability to control dental caries. By studying the remains of human skeletons from past eras, he estimated that there had been more dental caries in the preceding hundred years than there had been in any previous thousand-year period and suggested that Activator X was a key substance that people of the past obtained but that modern nutrition did not adequately provide. Price used the combination of high-vitamin cod liver oil and high-Activator X butter oil as the cornerstone of his protocol for reversing dental caries. This protocol not only stopped the progression of tooth decay, but completely reversed it without the need for oral surgery by causing the dentin to grow and remineralize, sealing what were once active caries with a glassy finish. One 14-year-old girl completely healed 42 open cavities in 24 teeth by taking capsules of the high-vitamin cod liver oil and Activator X concentrate three times a day for seven months.

Activator X also influences the composition of saliva. Price found that if he collected the saliva of individuals immune to dental caries and shook it with powdered bone or tooth meal, phosphorus would move from the saliva to the powder; by contrast, if he conducted the same procedure with the saliva of individuals susceptible to dental caries, the phosphorus would move in the opposite direction from the powder to the saliva. Administration of the Activator X concentrate to his patients consistently changed the chemical behavior of their saliva from phosphorus-accepting to phosphorus-donating. The Activator X concentrate also reduced the bacterial count of their saliva. In a group of six patients, administration of the concentrate reduced the Lactobacillus acidophilus count from 323,000 to 15,000. In one individual, the combination of cod liver oil and Activator X concentrate reduced the L. acidophilus count from 680,000 to 0.

In the 1940s, researchers showed that menadione and related compounds inhibited the bacterial production of acids in isolated saliva.47 Menadione itself is a toxic synthetic analogue of vitamin K, but animal tissues are able to convert a portion of it to vitamin K2. The ability of vitamin K-related compounds to inhibit acid production in isolated saliva had no relationship to their vitamin activity, and the most effective of these compounds had practically no vitamin activity at all.48 Researchers unfortunately assumed that because vitamin K did not have a unique role in inhibiting acid formation in saliva within a test tube that it had no nutritional role in preventing tooth decay within living beings.

In 1945, American researchers conducted a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of menadione-laced chewing gum and showed it to reduce the incidence of new cavities and cause a dramatic drop in the L. acidophilus count of saliva.49 The next year, the Army Medical Department attempted to repeat these results but failed, and research on vitamin K and dental health in the United States was subsequently abandoned.50 The authors of the original study assumed that the menadione exerted its effect simply as a topical anti-bacterial agent, even though it was highly unlikely to sustain a sufficient concentration in the saliva to exert this effect. Ten years later, German researchers showed that injecting menadione into the abdominal cavities of hamsters more effectively prevented tooth decay than feeding it orally.51 Although they could not rule out the possibility that some of this menadione was secreted into the saliva, their results argued in favor of a nutritional role for the vitamin K2 that would have been produced from it. Despite this finding, to this day no one has investigated the role of natural K vitamins in the prevention of dental caries.

Nevertheless, our continually expanding understanding of the physiology of both K vitamins and teeth now makes it clear that vitamin K2 plays an essential role in dental health. Of all organs in the body, vitamin K2 exists in the second highest concentration in the salivary glands (the highest concentration is found in the pancreas). Even when rats are fed only K1, nearly all of the vitamin K in their salivary glands exists as K2.15 Both vitamin K52 and vitamin K-dependent proteins53 are secreted into the saliva, although their function is unknown.

We now know that the growth and mineralization of the dentin that Price observed in response to the combination of cod liver oil and Activator X concentrate would primarily require three essential factors: vitamins A, D, and K2. There are three calcified tissues of the teeth: the cementum forms the roots, the enamel forms the surface, and the dentin forms the support structure beneath it. Cells called odontoblasts lining the surface of the pulp just beneath the dentin continually produce new dentin material. If a cavity invades the dentin and reaches these cells they can die. The pulp tissue, however, contains stem cells that can differentiate into new odontoblasts that could regenerate the lost dentin if the right conditions were present.54

Dentin is unique among the tissues of the teeth for its expression of osteocalcin, a vitamin K-dependent protein better known for its role in organizing the deposition of calcium and phosphorus salts in bone. In the infant rat, whose teeth grow very rapidly, dentin manufactures much more osteocalcin than bone does, suggesting that osteocalcin plays an important role in the growth of new dentin. Matrix Gla protein (MGP), which is required for the mineralization of bone, is also expressed in dentin.55 Vitamins A and D signal odontoblasts to produce osteocalcin,56,57 and probably regulate their expression of MGP as well. Only after vitamin K2 activates these proteins' ability to bind calcium, however, can they lay down the mineral-rich matrix of dentin. The remarkable synergy between these three vitamins exactly mirrors the process Price observed.

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline MacyMay

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 06:26:47 PM »
Can't offer any hope - never healed a cavity (but then again, never had one yet  ;D). But I do have a question: what in the world is Activator X? Maybe I just missed it in the article (it's late and I'm tired), but I never saw where it explained what it WAS. And where do you get it?

I'm intrigued by this. I'm convinced that the body is capable of healing a LOT more than we give it credit for - why not our teeth, too?

If you try it, please be sure to post and let us know how it goes. I, for one, am very interested.  :)
"If you hold on tight, to what you think is your thing, you may find you're missing all the rest" ...Dave Matthews Band

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 01:50:51 AM »
I wondered what it was, too.  Here's a link:  http://www.bodyecology.com/07/04/05/activator_x.php

Hope that helps!
Jeni

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 06:30:35 AM »
Reading through these posts, I wonder if the BeeYoutiful Bon Ami would also help the teeth.  I'm also drinking raw milk every day now to see if that helps.  It may be that my cavities are too far gone to heal, but I sure would like to prevent new ones.

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
  • "It starts when you sink in his arms and ends with
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 04:24:28 AM »
Has anyone heard of rapid tooth decay?  My mom just found out that two of my sibling 9yr and 4 yrs have rapid tooth decay, by the time you see a spot on the tooth it is too late.  Will the things listed on this thread help help with rapid tooth decay.  Also does anyone know if gold caps are safe for teeth.  My little brother 4yrs needs several caps.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 04:43:20 AM »
Tooth decay is nutritional and can be fixed (although tooth deformation cannot).  See westonaprice.org, along with other threads on WTM.  If you can't find the info, post again and I'll help you find it.

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »
I have a wisdom tooth that came in sideways, like it is standing up on end. It now has had a brown spot in the middle of it, and it hurts to eat anything too chewy. It is hard to keep clean, because there is an empty pocket right in front of it. Would it be best to just have it pulled? I clean my teeth with a homemade paste with that xtol sweetener, cayenne, b. soda, and a whole bunch of other stuff, and then do a mouth wash with grapefruit seed extract and water. The tooth is no better. Anyone have any wisdom or "sage advice" to share?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »
I have a wisdom tooth that came in sideways, like it is standing up on end. It now has had a brown spot in the middle of it, and it hurts to eat anything too chewy. It is hard to keep clean, because there is an empty pocket right in front of it. Would it be best to just have it pulled? I clean my teeth with a homemade paste with that xtol sweetener, cayenne, b. soda, and a whole bunch of other stuff, and then do a mouth wash with grapefruit seed extract and water. The tooth is no better. Anyone have any wisdom or "sage advice" to share?
I can tell you that I had 2 of mine removed (I only had 2 to start with) because they were difficult to clean and one had a cavity and the dentist said I had no other teeth to meet on the bottom so they were basically useless.  All I can say is that it was relatively painless (shots first and a bit achey for a day or two) and I've had no problems since (about 2years ago).  Mine were grown all the way through the gums, but were both crooked and leaning sideways.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 03:32:55 AM »

Pulling it is certainly an option.  Other than that, I would recommend calcium and/or magnesium and/or vitamin D, depending on what your body needs.  Also, sugars can slow down a tooth's healing.

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 03:47:09 AM »
Has anyone heard of rapid tooth decay?  My mom just found out that two of my sibling 9yr and 4 yrs have rapid tooth decay, by the time you see a spot on the tooth it is too late.  Will the things listed on this thread help help with rapid tooth decay.  Also does anyone know if gold caps are safe for teeth.  My little brother 4yrs needs several caps.
I would recommend your mom try the X-factor high vitamin butter oil from Green Pastures for your sibs.

http://www.greenpasture.org/products/butter-oil

And look at Weston Price website for info. about X-factor:

http://www.realmilk.com/price.html

Offline Leat

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 04:11:18 AM »
Yesterday I took my two oldest sons for their six month cleaning. About 4or5 months ago they each had sealants put on their back teeth. On my 7 year old, the hygienists checked and said the sealant had come off,but before she redid it she had the dentist look. The tooth was starting to get a soft spot. The dentists said not to redo the sealant because the tooth is in a position to almost  form a cavity but hasn't yet and to reseal would just cover and let the bacteria go nuts.

So long story short, what can I do to keep a cavity from forming?  The spot is a deep groove that a toothbrush bristle can't even get into.

After reading most of this thread, I'm on information overload. Which is a good thing! Thanks for all of you sharing your experiences!

So do I need to put tea tree oil on it? I'm already planning to cut out sugar. We don't have access to raw milk.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Leat

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 04:42:55 AM »
Yesterday I took my two oldest sons for their six month cleaning. About 4or5 months ago they each had sealants put on their back teeth. On my 7 year old, the hygienists checked and said the sealant had come off,but before she redid it she had the dentist look. The tooth was starting to get a soft spot. The dentists said not to redo the sealant because the tooth is in a position to almost  form a cavity but hasn't yet and to reseal would just cover and let the bacteria go nuts.

So long story short, what can I do to keep a cavity from forming?  The spot is a deep groove that a toothbrush bristle can't even get into.

After reading most of this thread, I'm on information overload. Which is a good thing! Thanks for all of you sharing your experiences!

So do I need to put tea tree oil on it? I'm already planning to cut out sugar. We don't have access to raw milk.

Leat

I would try making a solution with xylitol & water & swishing with that to get it into the grove. If it's a bottom tooth you can have your DS hold the solution there for a few mins to help hold the solution right where it's needed. Xylitol is supposed to help remineralize the teeth. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 05:13:12 AM »

Leat

Bone broth, liver (finely chopped and mixed in food, if you don't like it plain), extra calcium and/or magnesium, vitamin D.  These will all help remineralize the teeth.  And of course eliminating sugar is a really good idea.  Read Dr. Weston Price's stuff. 

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 08:48:31 AM »
Not being able to afford quality bones for bone broth, liver, or spisific supplements (do have Super mom!  :)) I am very pleased to report that Gabe is right about the cloves. My tooth doesn't hurt at all now, and I am actually enjoying sucking on the things (hated it at first!  :o :-X :D).

Gargling with Grapefruit Seed Crush I think actually was eating away at my teeth, so I did stop that. (A minor amount is in my toothpaste)

Sugar is almost completely out of my diet. I do eat white potatoes, sweet potatoes, a few occasional sweet bread things with sucanat or honey (very occasional), and some fruit. When I can, I eat meat to keep my energy up, but it is usually from the store in ground form.

Pulling my tooth is going to be a loong way down the road, but I know that I'll be OK. With God, cloves, and careful care, I am staying healthy.

Just thought this might encourage y'all to try cloves  ;D It does work.

Offline biecmom

• Learning
  • "Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 06:46:33 PM »
Today I went to a new dentist that is on our insurance.  He said I had two small cavities.  When I asked to see them on the X-ray they were not holes, just a different color gray. I brush twice daily and uh, need to start back up on the flossing.  I have read thru this entire thread and would be sucking on cloves if I had some! 

We are drinking raw milk and have for the past 1 to 2 years. Why am I not getting the Activator X protection Dr. Price talks about? 

Here is my problem/question.  We are planning to drop our dental insurance at the end of this month, so I made an appt. today for tomorrow.  Do I go?  If I do what do I say?  That I don't believe his diagnosis could be correct and even if it is they are small cavities that can be "healed" with liquid calcium swishes and xylitol?
"Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot

Offline khrys

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 08:36:03 AM »
Weston Price discussed healing dental decay in his book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.  The main thing he mentions is using a high vitamin butter oil in equal parts with a high vitamin cod liver oil.  He recommended 1/2 tsp of this mixed oil three times daily with meals (when used with a diet that is low in sugars and starches and high in minerals). 

I think the butter oil would be more effective than raw milk because it is very concentrated.  The butter oil also needs comes from cows grazing on fresh green grass, so in the winter the milk would not have the needed nutrients.  Also, the butter oil and cod liver oil work together to produce the best results. 

Radiant Life sells butter oil and cod liver oil.  www.radiantlifecatalog.com
I have also bought butter oil from Green Pastures online (I think it is the same butter oil) and Carlson's cod liver oil at the health food store. 
Helpmeet to dh since 8/99, SAHM to ds1 (3/05) and ds2 (12/09)

Offline luvbnamommy2

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 04:43:44 AM »
Hi again! Me with all my questions!! This site is just awesome!! ;D

Here it goes: I know I have cavaties. I will not go to the dentist. I want to know if there is something I can do naturally to "fix" my teeth. I hardly every drink pop or juices. I do like sweets, but I try to brush my teeth right after eating sweets. Is there anything to fix the cavaties? Also, should I be rinsing my mouth with some sort of mouth wash? I'm thinking more of some home made really good for your gums and everything else mouth wash.  ::) Anyone know of anything like that? I would sure appreciate ALL the advice I can get on naturally taking care of teeth... oh, and our toothpaste is fluoride free (fluoride is really bad for you ;))

Hope to get a lot of replies asap!!

Use Xylitol!!

My son, at 18 months was diagnosed with extreme severe ECC - in other words rotten teeth!! His pediatric dentist had him scheduled for $3400 worth of dental work, 4 extractions, 2 root canals and 16 fillings.

Fortunately for him and me, an operating room would not be open for nearly a year in our local hospital! It sounds crazy me saying "fortunately" I didn't want to wait, because his dentist told me things were only going to get worse. He could not give me any encouragement, ideas on what to do, nothing...

My mom researched the net for something...anything that would halt the rot!! And she came across Xylitol. She did LOTS AND LOTS of research on the subject before ordering it for my son. Then we started using it vigorously.

In order for it to be dentally effective you need 6 to 10 grams daily, and if you start out too much at one time to begin with some folks will get tummy upsets and diarrhea. My son did [now his cousins, same age, never had a problem; now has his younger sister]. Now though he can suck upward to 21 grams without any problems.

We used/and still use many of these:

Spiffies a Xylitol wipe www.spiffies.com
SPRY candies, gum, RAIN [a spray], toothpaste  www.xlear.com or www.dentist.net
XYLOSWEET crystals www.xlear.com or www.amazon.com [Health Food store]
Emerald Forest candies [my son loves the grape & licorice] www.emeraldforestsugar.com
Epic toothpaste www.epicdental.com
Zellies candies www.zellies.com

My son is now 4 yrs old and is cavity free. He had 1 tooth extracted [he fell, broke the root and it developed a draining abscess] and 1 tooth filled. The cost? Something like, I'm thinking it was $158, under $200 at any rate.

Some people consider the Xylitol products mentioned expensive, but I've not even come close to the $3400 dental bill I would have had to pay.

Now I use Xylitol for my teeth too, and at my last dental appointment the dentist told me I was cavity free as well. That is a first in several years. I use Epic toothpaste and rinse twice daily, and chew or suck Xylitol gums or candies at least once during the day.

Dogs and Xylitol DO NOT mix, especially the toys and small breeds; but there are lots of others human foods we're advised not to give our pets. It is Toxic to dogs and possible cats to.

If you're really interested www.zellies.com, www.xlear.com and www.epicdental.com have lots of interesting research on them. Hope this helps. ;D

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »
luvbnamommy2, that is an amazing story! I used to know a little three year old boy that had really bad teeth - you could see black on many of his teeth. Were your son's cavities visible like that, and if so, could you see the damage reversing over time? At what point did you become convinced that the xylitol was working? And, what in the world did the dentist say when your son's teeth got better? This story is especially interesting to me, because the dentist had planned for 2 root canals... if this worked for everyone, doesn't this mean that even a tooth that was at the "your only option is a root canal" stage might possibly be salvageable?

I'm steadfastly convinced that cavities CAN be healed, but finding "real, live" people that have actually done it has been challenging so far. So this post was very encouraging! 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:44:01 AM by Jade »
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline momofskc

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »
I am also interested in whether your sons teeth were getting black spots. My 11 yr old son has probably inherited a very bad bacteria from me. My teeth are quite bad no matter what kind of maintenance I do on them.
I would love to know if these problems can be helped and healed even to some degree. The information from Dr. Price is awesome but seems like in this day it is hard to find reliable sources of butter oil or grass fed cattle. I live in a rural area but most people supplement they're feed with corn which I hear is not as good.
Thank you for these sites you posted and I will be doing lots more research. Thank you again.
Julie:)