† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Sprains, Torn Ligaments & Injured Joints  (Read 37435 times)

Offline naewood

• Adept
    • Sunset Acres Rat Terriers
Sprains, Torn Ligaments & Injured Joints
« on: December 21, 2006, 07:25:49 AM »
I have read almost all the posts regarding these issues.  But I have a different question, so I thought I would start a new post.  My dh hurt his ankle/foot sometime in September.  We don't know exactly what he did, he said it just started hurting.  It is still bothering him and it was swollen this past weekend.  We don't have insurance so a trip to the doctor for ex-ray or diagnosis is out.  I was wondering if we should try the comfrey and how we should do that?  Can you eat it?  Does it do good from the inside or should we just do a compress?  I also have a foot injury and assume that I fractured my foot last summer.  I had a horse rear up and come down on my foot, between my ankle and my little toe.  It was quiet pretty for awhile, but I still have pain and it feels like the skin is going to split when I first stand up in the morning.  Can comfrey help this long after an injury?  Should I try the compresses too?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
RW
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:12:34 PM by healthybratt »

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Re: Sprains, Torn Ligaments & Injured Joints
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:23:23 PM »
Yes, Comfrey compresses are great for the ailments you listed. Also Arnica compresses. Gabe sprained his ankle about 10  months ago and we used Arnica/Comfrey poultices on it.

Omega Balance, or some other supplement containing the Omega oils will help with inflamation and rebuilding healthy tissue.

Drinking Aloe juice every day, and doing hot sea salt water soaks are the other things that I would personally do.

Recently I read about the benefits of Cinnamon oil causing circulation increase and healing when applied topically. It's a cheap remedy to "leave on" after you do a salt soak. Make sure to add olive oil or some other base to the cinnamon oil so it won't burn the skin. Cinnamon oil can be very hot! A little tingle is good - but don't scorch your skin. If you apply too much, just wash it off with soap and water and try a more diluted mix later.

Rebekah

Ho - I see HB has directed you to the mother-load of info. There you go.
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 02:08:44 PM »
Comfrey works by speeding up cell regeneration so it very likely will help. It has a long history of healing even old injuries. It works for broken bones & strained ligaments which it sounds like it could be either one. If it's the ligaments it may be helpful to brace the foot to keep the ligaments from being stretched but I'm not sure on this part. Comfrey herb is the green, top portion of the plant. The root is stronger than the herb & comes in little rock-like chunks or powdered. The powder is the easiest to use. Mix w/warm water-it will clump horribly at first but if you work it w/your fingers it will dissolve. To get the glop that sticks to your fingers off scrub w/net- a bag from onions works well. (The kind that's made from the same kind of net that bath scrubbers are made from, not the softer kind that looks like it's crocheted) If you can only get the herb make a STRONG tea out of it & don't strain it- it will be stronger if you leave the pieces in. The root chunks need to be simmered for 1/2 an hour or longer to soften them up. Comfrey is gooey & slimy- this is normal & the goo is the healing part. Soak as often & as long as you can. Adding pureed onion to it will help w/ swelling & treats bruises. My mom once fell outside on concrete steps. She was swollen & bruised to the hip & we're sure that her foot was broke. The first few days she didn't due anything to it because she thought it would get better on it's own. It didn't get better, if anything her foot was worse. I soaked comfrey herb in boiling water, added pureed onion, packed it around her foot & leg to the hip, wrapped everything in plastic, & left it for the night. It was messy but effective. By the next morning, the bruising was drastically reduced. We continued to soak her foot in comfrey herb a few x's a day for a couple of weeks & it healed beautifully. She did have a little bit of pain when she would wear one certain pair of heels for several hours-while dancing no less! (She's not a Christian & she was trying to get started managing bands at that time) That lasted for 6 months to a year & after that even that pair of shoes didn't bother it. It's been about 12 years & she hasn't had any problems with it since. Historically comfrey has been used internally for healing & my mom took it daily for over a year in a lung formula (her lungs had been horribly scarred in a house fire & she could barely breath) about 15 years ago with no apparent ill effects but it's not recommended for internal use. It is said that it can cause liver damage so you will have to research it & decide for yourself. Comfrey is a wonderful, healing herb & one that we always keep on hand. Using it the same way as above but chilling it before use (or adding ice to it) heals burns. Get the book 10 essential herbs by Lalitha Thomas for more info about comfrey. This is one of my favorite herb books & a good beginners book- a good $15 investment in health. Let us know how it goes. HTH~herbalmom
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 02:10:31 PM by herbalmom »

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 01:21:01 AM »
bump
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 08:13:28 AM »
I wouldn't think that the bruise on the underside of his foot is anything to worry excessively over.  I know that when my foot was hit head-on on the toes years ago, the entire foot -top, sides, and underside- was bruised up to and slightly beyond the ankle.  More than likely the internal bleeding at the injury site was more than local and that caused bruise in that area as well.

Keep on using the comfrey compresses.  Also try to persuade him to sit with his foot propped up every couple of hours to allow any pooled blood to circulate.  With swelling, circulation can be impaired.  Should be seeing results in two or three days from injury. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline sevenfold

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 07:03:38 PM »
I used to clean carpets for aliving and anytime I injured a muscle or my back I'd grab Kava kava, MSM, lots of vitamin C (4gms a day) and if it was real bad a little lobelia. I'd take just enough Kava to ease the pain, and the Msm is supposed to help rebuild connective tissue. You can get MSM at just about any health food store. (We were in a bind one time and got it at the feed store, which was less expensive and looked, tasted, and worked just as well)

Jim
http://www.tea-tree-info.com

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 08:06:19 PM »
son-in-love sprained/twisted his ankle yesterday playing football - yesterday it was "no big deal" tonight he was limping after working on his feet all day at a lumberyard.  thankfully we have a great relationship and I told him I wanted to look at it so he complied - could barely get his sock and boot off - very swollen and bruised!

Currently he has on a comfrey poultice and he is elevating it - I plan on instructing my daughter on doing a comfrey/pureed onion poultice for the night as herbalmom suggested earlier in this thread - my question is about the bruising - it is around the ankle but also runs along the sole of his foot on the outside of it - runs the length of his foot in dark bruised line - could this be the blood pooling from standing on it all day? 

Any other suggestions would be great!

Probably is pooled blood. Sounds like the exact path it would follow with standing & gravity. He can also soak his foot/ankle in a pan or something his foot fits into with the comfrey & pureed onion in it. Cover across the top of the pan around the leg w/plastic wrap if the onion gets too strong. You may want to continue the comfrey a few days longer after the onion is no longer needed to insure the ankle is fully healed. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »
Peace4all, how is you son-in-love doing? I hope he's fully recovered. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 08:14:59 AM »
My one year old, fell out of his crib this morning.  :'( I thought he was okay, just a bump on his head. But, he woke up crying from his nap, laying on his belly. Which, isn't typically. He usually plays when he wakes up. Anyway, he was still sniffly after awhile but I got him calmed down and he wanted to get down and play. When I set him on the floor, he went to crawl and he fell. So, after I got him settled again, I put him on the floor once more and watched more closely. He fell, but it appears his wrist is either giving out or he is in pain and stops putting his weight on it. It also appears to be a little swollen. I can move his arm, hands, fingers but he cries when I do this. He is reaching for things but not much.
So, I have the muscle rub cream from the BHS and I put that on his wrist. What else can I do if it's a sprain? I don't have comfry or arnica. I just have the muscle rub cream, plantain, and eden salve. I can give him some aloe juice too, if that would be helpful. Oh, I also have epsom salts.
I'm willing to go to the doctor tomorrow if it doesn't appear but better but would like to avoid doing that.
Help!
Jessica

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 07:54:49 PM »
My one year old, fell out of his crib this morning.  :'( I thought he was okay, just a bump on his head. But, he woke up crying from his nap, laying on his belly. Which, isn't typically. He usually plays when he wakes up. Anyway, he was still sniffly after awhile but I got him calmed down and he wanted to get down and play. When I set him on the floor, he went to crawl and he fell. So, after I got him settled again, I put him on the floor once more and watched more closely. He fell, but it appears his wrist is either giving out or he is in pain and stops putting his weight on it. It also appears to be a little swollen. I can move his arm, hands, fingers but he cries when I do this. He is reaching for things but not much.
So, I have the muscle rub cream from the BHS and I put that on his wrist. What else can I do if it's a sprain? I don't have comfry or arnica. I just have the muscle rub cream, plantain, and eden salve. I can give him some aloe juice too, if that would be helpful. Oh, I also have epsom salts.
I'm willing to go to the doctor tomorrow if it doesn't appear but better but would like to avoid doing that.
Help!
Jessica
If you think it's just bruised or sore, you could try wrapping it with ace bandage.  I don't know if something like this is recommended for small children, but if it were my wrist, I think the extra support would lessen the pain and speed up recovery.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4lilkeepers

• Adept
Exercises to strengthen the muscles around my meniscus?
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 02:35:11 AM »
I think mine is injured . my husbands tore several yrs ago.  he had to have surgery.  I'm trying to avoid that.  anyone know of any good exercises to help strengthen.

thanx

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 09:23:40 AM »
questions for anyone who thinks they can help

I hurt my ankle (have NO idea how) on Friday, The bone started swelling and bruising right away. I kept ice on it off and on till Saturday evening.

On Sunday, the majority of my foot and ankle on the outside was bruised, however, it did not hurt and it wasnt swollen.
So that afternoon I did some shoveling- trying not to use it too much, and then walked around wal mart for 1 hour.

By bedtime my foot ankle was swollen again and hurting. Today it is even worse. So, I am putting Ice on it again. I tried my arnica/st.john muscle rub on it today. It did not help.

Is there anything I should or should not be doing to help it heal. My  dh just called and told me not to walk on it at all. I find that a bit extreme, but I am NO expert on injuries..

Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 10:20:07 AM »
I just saw this. How are you doing? If it hasn't healed yet the comfrey & onion I posted about earlier in the thread should help. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

I hurt my ankle (have NO idea how) on Friday, The bone started swelling and bruising right away. I kept ice on it off and on till Saturday evening.

On Sunday, the majority of my foot and ankle on the outside was bruised, however, it did not hurt and it wasnt swollen.
So that afternoon I did some shoveling- trying not to use it too much, and then walked around wal mart for 1 hour.

By bedtime my foot ankle was swollen again and hurting. Today it is even worse. So, I am putting Ice on it again. I tried my arnica/st.john muscle rub on it today. It did not help.

Is there anything I should or should not be doing to help it heal. My  dh just called and told me not to walk on it at all. I find that a bit extreme, but I am NO expert on injuries..

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 01:07:34 PM »

I was taking very large doses of fatty acids to attempt to help my skin and found quite by accident that it sped up healing to an injury to my neck and shoulder.  I would recommend high doses of the essential fatty acids.  Here's a post that has all the details of how much I was taking.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,9697.msg93509.html#msg93509 

CLO supplements also sped up the healing of a torn ligament in my finger.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »
Hubby just hobbled home with what we hope is a sprained foot. Something in his foot snapped but it's the same place that I injured and the snap for me was a ligament and not a bone. I have arnica but no comfrey. Ant other herb suggestions? Thanks
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »
Hi yall and thanks for replying - I am STILL having problems with my ankle! It seems as if it is swollen and hurting at least once a week- sometimes 3 days a week! Still no insurance to get checked by a dr. . My dh just lost his job again- so I really need to buckle down and help it get to healing.

I cant pinpoint what is causing it to swell up? I dont wear shoes most days since I am home. I noticed that often it hurts after I wear shoes with backs, but not if I where a backless shoe. Also, maybe it hurts more when it is cold- the weather here is cold one day and hot the next. This evening it started hurting not long before a cold front rolled through. That is what made me wonder... 
I know that I am not getting the omega s in like I used to- I used to eat extremely healthy but since aug. or so my diet has dwindle down to what is available. and I am not drinking enough water. Could all these things be effecting it?

I am going to place an order for comfrey = any other herbs I missed that I should use in poultice? I already have arnica and cinnamon and cayenne. I can get fresh onion at the grocery store.

Also, which brand would you recommend for  omega 3s? It needs to be cheap but effective-- money is extremely tight now that dh is unemployed again.

Any other helpful source I am missing beside the herbs and omegas? Should I be icing it or using hot herb poultices or alternating???

Any advice would be appreciated.
Jessicah

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 01:10:33 AM »
I cant pinpoint what is causing it to swell up? I dont wear shoes most days since I am home. I noticed that often it hurts after I wear shoes with backs, but not if I where a backless shoe.
I do not  recommend a backless shoe esp, if you are having pain in your ankle - too much instability and a tendency to reinjure.  I would stick to the best pair of tennis shoes you have (ones with most arch support that hug your feet and have laces. 
Also, maybe it hurts more when it is cold- the weather here is cold one day and hot the next. This evening it started hurting not long before a cold front rolled through. That is what made me wonder... 
I know that I am not getting the omega s in like I used to- I used to eat extremely healthy but since aug. or so my diet has dwindle down to what is available. and I am not drinking enough water. Could all these things be effecting it?
Any of these could be affecting the joint.  It sounds like you are having either chronic ligament issues or chronic arthiritis type issues in that ankle.  Not knowing your history I'd lean toward chronic ligament sprain.  Not fun.  Good news, because it is chronic you can alternate heat and ice when it is painful: heat for comfort, ice to reduce pain and swelling.  You can just use ice though still in 15 minute incriments.  On the non-painful days you can do non-weightbearing exercises to strengthen the muscles that surround the joint so the ligaments don't have to work so hard.  PM me and I can give you better details otherwise google ankle ROM exercises (preferrrable with moderate resistance).

Should I be icing it or using hot herb poultices or alternating???
see above ;)

Any advice would be appreciated.
hth

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 06:41:59 AM »
Thanks! ON New years eve I wore some good nike running shoe. It started hurting realy really bad- more than it had in about 3 weeks. That is why I was thinking the shoe makes it worse. But I guess it is one of those things- it has to hurt to get better sometimes.

I could PM you about the ROM exercises but do  you  think it would also be good if you posted them here for others to know about?

thanks again
Jessicah

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
Sure,  I didn't think about that.  If you can get ahold of some exercise bands (think giant rubber bands - come in different colors - many workout vidoes are using them these days), that is best- but you can try to improvise if you can't get ahold of any (or I could ship some to you if you pay shipping  ;)).  Anyway, in a long-sitting position (sitting with your leg extended in front of you, other leg bent however comfortable), wrap the band aroung the ball of your foot - holding the ends of the bands in each hand.  Push your foot into the band slowly and then slowly bring it back to the original position (this is resisted plantar flexion of the ankle).  You do this 10 or so times at first.  Then you put both ends of the band in your right hand and pull the band over to the right as far as you can comfortably reach while keeping your foot straight up.  You then push your foot toward the left into the band (away from your hand) slowly and return to starting position slowly (this is resisted ankle eversion - if it is your left ankle, inversion if it is your right ankle).  Repeat 10 or so times.  Then switch sides (put the band in your left hand and push your foot into it toward the right (exact same motion in reverse).  Repeat 10 or so times just like you did the others.  Lastly, see if someone will hold the band ends for you while you loop it around the top of your foot and they sit in front of you.  You will then pull your foot toward you into the band (resisted dorsiflexion of the ankle - very important to ankle function- will be difficult if your calf is tight) the same way, 10 or so times slowly and returning to start position slowly. 

I hope that was clearer than mud.  I am looking up some pics to help you.

Ok here are really good ones but I had to "register" to see them so I hope you don't need to - it didn't cost anything though...
 http://thera-bandacademy.com/exercises/showroutine.asp?erID=40&cat=bodypart&id=11&valname=Ankle&t=12%3A35%3A51+PM

I will try to find more:
http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/orthopedicsandpt/ss/anklerehab_4.htm

You then progress to various activities while weight bearing as you gain strength. 

Were your tennis shoes new or old?  Just wondering.  Don't bear total weight if it is painful to, but I still do not recommend wearing no-back shoes...JMHO.  It might seem silly- but crutches can help a lot to not put all the weight through it.  It takes a great deal of time longer than peole usually realize to recover from an ankle injury...hth

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 09:00:14 AM »
Something I was told to do when I had torn ligaments in my ankle was to 'exercise' and strengthen the ankle by propping it up and spelling my full name in the air, keeping the leg supported at the end of the calf.  kwim?  Moving your foot through the capital letters, below the line letters, etc. should give you a full range of motion and gently stretch everything. 
The thing I liked best (other than it worked so well!) was that I could do this anywhere with no accessories.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 02:14:58 PM »
blessed213 - that is an EXCELLENT exercise for ROM and keeping the joint lubricated and not getting stiff.   ;)  It really doesn't do anything for strengthening though...which is where you want to head if the injury is getting chronic.  The spelling with your toes, is always great to do though for any ankle injury at any phase- thanks for mentioning it!

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 06:29:24 PM »
Sure,  I didn't think about that.  If you can get ahold of some exercise bands (think giant rubber bands - come in different colors - many workout vidoes are using them these days), that is best- but you can try to improvise if you can't get ahold of any (or I could ship some to you if you pay shipping  ;)).  Anyway, in a long-sitting position (sitting with your leg extended in front of you, other leg bent however comfortable), wrap the band aroung the ball of your foot - holding the ends of the bands in each hand.  Push your foot into the band slowly and then slowly bring it back to the original position (this is resisted plantar flexion of the ankle).  You   do this 10 or so times at first.  Then you put both ends of the band in your right hand and pull the band over to the right as far as you can comfortably reach while keeping your foot straight up.  You then push your foot toward the left into the band (away from your hand) slowly and return to starting position slowly (this is resisted ankle eversion - if it is your left ankle, inversion if it is your right ankle).  Repeat 10 or so times.  Then switch sides (put the band in your left hand and push your foot into it toward the right (exact same motion in reverse).  Repeat 10 or so times just like you did the others.  Lastly, see if someone will hold the band ends for you while you loop it around the top of your foot and they sit in front of you.  You will then pull your foot toward you into the band (resisted dorsiflexion of the ankle - very important to ankle function- will be difficult if your calf is tight) the same way, 10 or so times slowly and returning to start position slowly. 

I hope that was clearer than mud.  I am looking up some pics to help you.

Ok here are really good ones but I had to "register" to see them so I hope you don't need to - it didn't cost anything though...
 http://thera-bandacademy.com/exercises/showroutine.asp?erID=40&cat=bodypart&id=11&valname=Ankle&t=12%3A35%3A51+PM

I will try to find more:
http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/orthopedicsandpt/ss/anklerehab_4.htm

You then progress to various activities while weight bearing as you gain strength. 

Were your tennis shoes new or old?  Just wondering.  Don't bear total weight if it is painful to, but I still do not recommend wearing no-back shoes...JMHO.  It might seem silly- but crutches can help a lot to not put all the weight through it.  It takes a great deal of time longer than peole usually realize to recover from an ankle injury...hth

Great instructions. I dont have any tension bands, but I will ask some friends and family = I am sure I will find some to borrow. I did the "air name writing" excercise. At least I can do that for now and the ROM exercises I can do without bands for a few days.

I wore a different pair of tennis today. These did bother me but not as bad. They are not as old as the other pair. However, neither of them look too worn. I dont wear them that often.  What about an ace wrap? Could I wrap it for around the house instead of always wearing shoes?

I did use crutched when I originally sprained it. I used them for two weeks. At first I used them exclusively, but after the first week I used them for extra support. It is such a pain - to have a baby, a bunch of LOs and diaper bag, purse,etc. and try to run errands and litterally go ANYWHERE on crutches   :'( :(   I was trying to avoid that scenario again.... >sigh<
Jessicah

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 03:32:57 AM »
Sure you can ACE wrap it.  It might provide some extra support for ya'.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 07:08:54 AM »
Absolutely.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 07:48:12 PM »
I have not found any exercise bands yet, but I have been wearing the tennis shoes every day- all day until after my bath which is usually late.

I have noticed they help. BUT I am definitely noticing that it hurts/swells up when it is cold. What could this mean??? Do muscles get inflamed more when cold? Or just joints and bones?

I can not see a doctor about this right now.My dh is unemployed and does not know how long it will be before he has steady work again.

Is it worth it to get the comfrey and do poultices? I already have the arnica but havent done poultices. Just rubbed my homemade arnical salve on it a few times. I guess I should be doing it several times a day.,

I always forget to stop and take care of  myself in the middle of taking car e of everyone else
Jessicah

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 04:07:38 AM »
cold wouldn't make a muscle swell.  It has been a long enough time that you can try alternating gentle heat and cold, but just elevating your feet at the end of the day (above your heart) should help a lot.  Elevate and then do your name spelling with your toes with your foot above your heart (that will help pull excess fluid out of the joint).  Comfrey is worth a shot - it can't hurt IMO.  I have used it with the kids when they have injuries.  It is definately joint/ligament related.  (and it still sounds like you're overdoing it ;))  I hope you feel better soon!

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 09:38:01 PM »
My hubbie sprained his ankle almost 2 years ago. This was not the first bad sprain to this ankle either. I'm guessing the ligaments are so stretched out it will give way when he stands on uneven ground, steps on a rock, etc.  The outer side is continually swollen...meaning 2 years later it's still bigger than the other ankle. We've had it x-rayed - no broken bones. I've put comfrey, arnica, aloe poltices on it, he soaks it in epsom salt, he wears ankle braces every day all day. I don't know what else to do for it. The only other thing I know is to go to an orthopedic surgeon and they're gonna suggest either surgery or put up with it. His job requires him to stand and walk all day long, so he can't stay off it, and it aches at night...I guess where he's been on it all day. He won't want to go for the surgery, so I'm trying to get some more ideas on how to help it heal. Once the ligaments are stretched is there anything you can do to get them back to their original length??

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 01:57:50 AM »
I started taking a fish oil supplement after reading advice from here and another thread. After one weeks I felt a small improvement. After two weeks I no longer had any pain! I continued on, but there are times when I skip a few days in a row. THEN it starts hurting again... So I know the fish oil is what is helping.

What does your hubby eat? I started drinking coffee daily since lasts fall and I think that is part of my problem. But I am also not eating my usual healthy diet and not getting enough omega 3s in. It could help to take a daily inventory of what he eats, look it up to see if it is inflammation causing foods and then go from there.

The fish oil supplement I am taking currently is from natures sunshine, vitamin A and D 10,000 IUs of vit. A and 400 vit. d ( I wouldnt nessassary use that kind, but it is all I have right now)  in one gel cap.  I was taking two daily the first two weeks and then after the pain went away I cut back to one daily (except when I skip a day- the next day I double up again)

The more I read on various health topics, the more I realize I probably have a vitamin A deficiency that began in childhood. So you may look into that for your hubby too.
Jessicah

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 03:54:23 AM »
My hubbie sprained his ankle almost 2 years ago. This was not the first bad sprain to this ankle either. I'm guessing the ligaments are so stretched out it will give way when he stands on uneven ground, steps on a rock, etc.  The outer side is continually swollen...meaning 2 years later it's still bigger than the other ankle. We've had it x-rayed - no broken bones. I've put comfrey, arnica, aloe poltices on it, he soaks it in epsom salt, he wears ankle braces every day all day. I don't know what else to do for it. The only other thing I know is to go to an orthopedic surgeon and they're gonna suggest either surgery or put up with it. His job requires him to stand and walk all day long, so he can't stay off it, and it aches at night...I guess where he's been on it all day. He won't want to go for the surgery, so I'm trying to get some more ideas on how to help it heal. Once the ligaments are stretched is there anything you can do to get them back to their original length??

Actually, once the ligaments are damaged beyond a certain point the body actually reabsorbs them - essentially they are gone.  At least that's what we were taught in school.  You can look up ankle strengthening exercises - the theraband ones I posted before should be good.  When the ligaments are that comprimised the only thing you really can do is super-strengthen the muscles to compensate.  Also, having him spend time standing only on that foot.  It promotes cocontraction of the ankle support muscles and enhances balance (which I'm sure is affected).  A really bad ankle though will never be back to the same...