Author Topic: RSV Persistant Cough - Please help!  (Read 9306 times)

Offline Julie G

• Adept
RSV Persistant Cough - Please help!
« on: December 20, 2006, 11:29:41 AM »
My two little ones came down with RSV.  My two year old will NOT stop coughing.  I feel so bad for her...she is having very restless sleep and is so gunked up, (runny nose...non-productive cough...etc.)  What can I give her to help her feel better? 

I did start giving her treatments via a nebulizer and she's been taking Ricola cough drops along with a tincure that is suppose to help her cough but as of yet no relief.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm even willing to try tylenol if it will at least help her to sleep.

Since RSV is viral my understanding is that is just needs to run it's course so would I be hindering her healing by giving her some type of cough syrup?  Thanks in advance...I'm scratching my head on this one and just don't know what to do to help her get through this easier.
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline still*learning

• Adept
Re: RSV Persistant Cough - Please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »
My son had bronchiolitis last year three times and that is caused by the RSV virus. He would just cough and cough and cough.

Are you using a humidifier? Are you taking her into a steamed up bathroom when she is coughing?

I haven't tried it yet - but I have read on here that eucalyptus oil helps with congestion.

Hopefully someone else can shed more light on this. Praying that they feel better soon.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:36:13 PM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 05:08:42 PM »
My almost 3 mo old ds just tested positive for RSV. We are still at home and PRAY to avoid hospitalization  - several other babies in our community have been in the last month for RSV.

I have been using lots of GOOT, a saline spray with xylitol and silver, and silver drops in the nose. Anything else I should be doing for one this small?

He has not had a fever and is not breathing rapidly, just a nasty wet, rattling cough.

My hubby is on a men's retreat this weekend, so prayers would be appreciated too - wisdom, peace, etc...

thanks in advance,

Corrie
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
What about some Eucalyptis Oil?
You can put some on a cloth and hold it close to his nose and mouth (don't let the oil touch the skin). Or you could put the Eucalyptis oil in a humidifier.

What about a chest rub like this:
http://www.lotionsandnotions.com/product_detail.php?chestrub

I have a podcast out where Shoshanna talks about about Herbal Cold Relief (as far as I understand.. RSV is a common cold virus)
www.backtobasicspodcast.com
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 06:05:36 PM by KristenA »
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »
What about some Eucalyptis Oil?
You can put some on a cloth and hold it close to his nose and mouth (don't let the oil touch the skin). Or you could put the Eucalyptis oil in a humidifier.

What about a chest rub like this:
http://www.lotionsandnotions.com/product_detail.php?chestrub

I have a podcast about Herbal Cold Relief (as far as I understand.. RSV is a common cold virus)
www.backtobasicspodcast.com

Thanks, KristenA.

Just curious: If I don't want the eucalyptis oil to touch his skin on a cloth, why is it okay to put it in the chest rub?

I don't have Euc. Oil on hand, but I am going to try to get to the health food store tomorrow. I do have melaleuca oil - which i think is the same as tea tree oil? Would that be helpful? Just in the humidifier maybe?

Yes, I think RSV infects almost all kids by the age of three. But for babies, it is also one of the leading cause of hospitalization. I am pretty sure my 2 yo ds had it last week, but he is okay. But then again, he could take a lot of other stuff - berrywell, etc.

Oh, another question... does anyone know for sure WHAT transfers through breastmilk: Vit C, echinacea, garlic, Ultra Immune??

Thanks again!
Corrie

We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »

Just curious: If I don't want the eucalyptis oil to touch his skin on a cloth, why is it okay to put it in the chest rub?

Since the Eucalptis Oil (EO) drops on the washcloth are full strength...it could bother the baby (by burning). But the EO in the chest rub is VERY diluted and won't hurt.
KWIM?

I've never heard of Tea Tree Oil helping coughs....I just use if for cleaning.  :D

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 06:14:27 PM »

Oh, another question... does anyone know for sure WHAT transfers through breastmilk: Vit C, echinacea, garlic, Ultra Immune??

Dunno specifically about those... But I know good nutrition passes through. I wouldn't eat any processed sugar. Make (real) chicken soup. (listen to Shoshanna talk about it on my Pod  :D)
Just eat foods SUPER SUPER good for you. That will help your baby immensely!

It's strange...I don't usually hear of BF babies getting RSV. It's been a BAD winter for sickness!  :'(

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 03:55:09 AM »

[/quote]

I know echinacea and garlic transfer through breastmilk, so I assume that Vit C and Ultra Immune would too.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 07:37:23 AM »
It's strange...I don't usually hear of BF babies getting RSV. It's been a BAD winter for sickness!  :'(

I was sure he was safe because I was BFing. Besides, he and I should be the healthiest people around with all the C, raw garlic, Berrywell, immune stimulants, Ultra Immune, etc that I am taking. What is really frustrating is that even with taking all that (originally for him), I have a sore throat and snot! Ugh. We will keep fighting the battle.

As far as eating healthy, we do, except for my addiction to dark chocolate. I am being forced by this to break it though - which I guess is good!

Thanks for all your help, everyone. We are on day 5 of RSV and still home, pretty happy, no fever. Just a BAD cough and some odd-sounding breathing.

Corrie
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:13:04 AM by Gabriel Anast »

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline zmama

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 12:03:41 PM »

I was sure he was safe because I was BFing. Besides, he and I should be the healthiest people around with all the C, raw garlic, Berrywell, immune stimulants, Ultra Immune, etc that I am taking. What is really frustrating is that even with taking all that (originally for him), I have a sore throat and snot! Ugh. We will keep fighting the battle.

Corrie

My 5-week-old breastfed baby got RSV during the month of June!  Go figure that one!  Surprised the doctor as much as me.  Maybe it's the immature immune system of young babies?

Offline blessingskx4

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »
I have children with residual lung damage due to RSV. I diffuse Young Living Oils Raven or RC blends in their bedroom at night when they are ill. Which ever one I diffuse I use the other one mixed with coconut oil or other carrier oil and rub it all over their chest, back, neck, etc. You only need one tiny drop of EO mixed with the carrier oil to be effective, in my experience. I do put tea tree oil on the soles of their feet, also. I have had success with Beeyoutiful's Winter Breeze Vapor Rub as well.

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 05:16:04 PM »
I'll be praying for you moms with RSV babies.I remember how hard it was when mine was sick.  My son (now 6) had RSV at 8 weeks.  He was almost 9 pounds born at 38 weeks and was only breast fed.  He was hospitalized and had the terrible RSV cough for over a year.  Fortunately, he did not continue to wheeze as many rsv babies do.  Here are the things that really helped the most to give him some relief from the constant coughing.  Putting an air purifier in his bedroom helped him to sleep better.  We also could not take him out into the night air without severe coughing fits.  I used the Johnson's baby bath with the vapor rub smell, but know that you could come up with something more natural that would work as well. In addition, his doctor prescribed for him to go back on the albuterol nebulizer treatments for the cough, but they had some bad side effects.   
We benefited from owning a stethoscope at that time.  That way I could listen to his lungs to make sure he wasn't wheezing.  Some RSV babies do develop asthma so keep an eye out for that.

Jammie
Mrs. P