Author Topic: yeast infection in 4-year-old  (Read 32806 times)

Offline p31mama

• Learning
yeast infection in 4-year-old
« on: December 12, 2006, 06:25:20 PM »
My daughter has had--I think--varying degrees of a yeast infection since she was about 18-20 months old, she is now 4.  She has had several antibiotics in the first 2 years of her life.  Since then, our diet has begun to include more whole foods and we have tried to avoid doctors for illness as much as possible (they always want to give you a pill).  I have also begun in the last year to give all three of my children the original tummy tune up.  This in addition to the fact that she has been potty trained for nearly 2 years has helped considerably, but she has had a pretty severe flare up off and on for about the last 2 months.  Her vagina is inflamed and swollen and she complains that it hurts.  She loves yogurt and we eat it pretty regularly, I am giving her tummy tune up almost every day, and again trying to eat a healthier diet than when she was a baby.  Can anyone help me with ideas to clear up her infection??? 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:01:46 AM by healthybratt »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: yeast infection in 4-year-old
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:24 PM »
Is it possible that she is reacting to some kind of t.p., laundry product, soap, bubble bath etc? Maybe even the cleaner you use to clean the bathtub or her bath toys? Keep in mind that a lot of soaps, laundry products, & cleaners don't rinse off/out completely. Even VERY SHORT or VERY DILUTED contact can set off a reaction if you are sensitive. My DD & I both have chemical sensitivities & I have to watch all of the above or we get a reaction that seems like a yeast infection.(which I have also had) Many brands of t.p. drive me up the wall, same w/most soaps. I buy most of our clothes (except underwear & socks) at the thrift store but I have to wash them repeatedly to get the residues out of them or we will get a really bad irritation that seems like a yeast infection- even though we are wearing underwear- the residue migrates through the underwear. New clothes are the same way because of the finishes they put on new clothes. Even sitting on the bed while undressed if the sheets have residues. This can happen even when items are washed out enough that it doesn't bother us in any other way. There is NO WAY I could ever use reg. bleach on clothes-I would never be able to get enough out to be able to wear it. Having a yeast overgrowth will make the skin MUCH more sensitive. Maybe this isn't the case w/your DD but it may be something you want to look into.

Along the same line, we use all natural fibers for clothes, sheets, blankets, futons, etc. Synthetic fibers cause us problems including rashes, insomnia, & just in general run down your health. All items outgas which means that the molecules that it is made of get into the air around it. Outgassing is why cars have that new car smell & why a lot of plastics have an odor. When synthetic items of all types outgas, it can cause illness. Synthetic fibers are basically plastic and are heavily coated with formaldehyde- it's the formaldehyde that makes fabric perm. press (including wrinkle-free cotton). Sheets get coated the heaviest. Something you might want to look into.

I also have chronic yeast/fungal overgrowth. Check out Doug Kaufmann's Fungus Link books. Also the website www.knowthecause.com. Find out if the show Know the Cause is available in your area & if it is watch it. There are a lot of very good threads on this site about fighting yeast.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 01:53:45 AM by herbalmom »

Offline littlemama

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 09:02:12 PM »
   My 5 year old girl gets various problems from foods with various types of fungus.  For example: peanuts, corn syrup, yeast anything, & cheese (to name the few big ones).  I keep her off these foods.  Whenever she accidentally gets fed these foods (like when were at a social gathering), she gets various flare ups.  One of the common problems she gets from these foods is a yeast infection.  When she gets the problem, I treat it with yogurt or over the counter yeast infection cream.  Both treatments seem to work well. 
   I don't know if this causes your daughters yeast infections, but I just thought I'd share what has worked for my daughter.  Oh, I also recommend Doug Kaufmann's Fungus Link Book.  The information in this book is very helpful in treating various health issues that are caused by fungus.
Wife of a manly chain-saw slinging, computer programming guy, homeshooling mother of 6 kids (4 wild boys, a pretty little girl, and 1 pretty baby girl).

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »
**************************************************** think my 4 1/2 year old dd has a yeast infection.  She keeps saying that it hurts "down there" and that it feels wet.  I checked her panties, but they were dry.(?)  She did say that it hurt to pee once so I think she might also have a UTI.  I'm giving her cranberry supplements and a probiotic three times a day.  Is there anything else I should do?  I think the whole thing started because she was taking an antibiotic for a really bad sinus infection.  She still had a whole day to take the antibiotics but I stopped it because of this.  She was taking a probiotic while on it.  I don't want to take her to the doc if the yeast infection doesn't go away.  How do I treat this in a 4 year old?? ???
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 05:17:58 PM by larissakissa »

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:30:37 AM »
Our daughter battles this, as well.  We have had some success with what we call "honey baths."  I spread honey over the whole area (she doesn't like this because it hurts), and then we let it set for 10 minutes.  She just sits on a toilet and looks at books during that time.  Then we give her a warm bath, to which is added some vinegar and salt.  I don't measure these; I just dump some in.  The warm water rinses away the honey, and we let the area soak for a while.  This usually clears up the problem quickly.  However, since it does return I'm thinking I should give her more of these until it's totally gone. 

Definitely keep up the probiotics.  When I've had this trouble myself, I've put plain yogurt on a tampon, which worked fine.  But I can't do that for a child.  I have wondered if I combined a little olive oil with probiotic powder and spread it in the area, would that do the same thing?
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:42:19 AM »
Vinegar baths have helped me in the past with this problem.  Also, I took it one step further.  I diluted vinegar in a spray bottle and would spray the area two or three times a day.  Then, I used a blow-dryer on cool or low to dry the area.

I think between pro-biotics, honey pack with a vinegar bath, and maybe including the spray treatment if that doesn't work quickly enough, you can whip this problem.

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:08:50 AM »
If it is yeast, you're smart to use a probiotic. I have even been known, by DH only, till know, lol, and only when desperate, to put yogurt (w/ active cultures) "down there" topically and have gotten relief. It took a few applications and keep the internal probiotic going, but if that won't weird her (or you!) out, that may be an option.

I'm going to hit POST and say a prayer for this baby girl! :)

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:52:19 AM »
Thank you all for your help. :) I will definitely try the honey with the bath.  Hopefully it will clear up soon.

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:51:23 AM »
Okay, I'm a bit dense here... but help me out. If a person is supposed to avoid sugar during a yeast infection, why would honey help? 

Also, if all I can get is storebought clover honey, is that effective?  I have no idea if honey sold here (Mexico) in the open air market in unmarked bottles is pasteurized or not. I also question the sanitation of the receptacles they scoop the honey out of.  It's just a big orange crate mounted on a wheel barrow.  So I'm wary of buying that honey. 

I assume it's the unpasteurized honey that is beneficial.  My 5 1/2 year old daughter has had off and on yeast problems as well, so that's why I'm interested in this thread. 

Also, would GOOT work on a yeast infection applied topically to the outside?

I'll try the vinegar bath idea next time though, that sounds good and it's something I haven't tried yet.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:52:13 PM by shekinah »

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 02:37:54 PM »
Sorry I didn't reply sooner; I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would have an answer for you.  :) I don't know why honey works, except that it is good for healing all sorts of cuts and scrapes.  The website I visited that recommended this treatment just said to use honey.  It didn't say that it had to be raw.  All I know is that it works quickly.  We do use raw honey, followed by the salt and vinegar bath.  The redness and pain is usually gone after one or two treatments.  Our daughter had a flair-up again, so I'm doing honey baths every night, even though the redness is gone.  I want to be sure it's totally healed this time before we quit.  Following someone else's suggestion, I also made a little spray bottle of half vinegar, half water, and have sprayed the area a couple times.  She didn't like it the first time because it burned (of course), but the second time it didn't.

There is an e-mail forward going through cyberspace about the healing benefits of honey and cinnamon.  Add vinegar to the list, and I think we could heal a whole bunch of stuff with just those items in our houses!
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 04:34:10 AM »
Just wanted to say that we have had yeast issues in our family and two of my dd's have had the same problem.  The honey does work!  I went and bought a basin that fits on the toilet (can't remember the name for it) I fill it with warm water, 1tsp honey, and 2tsp baking soda.  Do this once a day 3-4 times a week and it takes care of all the symptoms.  I also used a chewable acidophilus for about 1 month.   

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 06:59:24 AM »
Sorry I didn't reply sooner; I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would have an answer for you.  :) I don't know why honey works, except that it is good for healing all sorts of cuts and scrapes.  The website I visited that recommended this treatment just said to use honey.  It didn't say that it had to be raw.  All I know is that it works quickly.  We do use raw honey, followed by the salt and vinegar bath.  The redness and pain is usually gone after one or two treatments.  Our daughter had a flair-up again, so I'm doing honey baths every night, even though the redness is gone.  I want to be sure it's totally healed this time before we quit.  Following someone else's suggestion, I also made a little spray bottle of half vinegar, half water, and have sprayed the area a couple times.  She didn't like it the first time because it burned (of course), but the second time it didn't.

There is an e-mail forward going through cyberspace about the healing benefits of honey and cinnamon.  Add vinegar to the list, and I think we could heal a whole bunch of stuff with just those items in our houses!
I'm sure it would need to be raw.  Raw honey contains enzymes, probiotics and anti-parasitic (yeast, bacteria, virus) compounds.  Pasteurized honey would contain none of these agents as they are all living components and would be killed during the pasteurization process.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »
Ok, I have been doing this with my 4 year old boy (its an anal yeast infection) for THREE weeks. The symptoms are not going anywhere. Its just as bad. He is taking a probiotic. WHY is this not helping? I try to do it every single day, most days 2 times a day. And I blow dry the area afterwards.

Why is it not getting better?

Is there some sort of cream I can go get that will make it better??
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »
Ok, I have been doing this with my 4 year old boy (its an anal yeast infection) for THREE weeks. The symptoms are not going anywhere. Its just as bad. He is taking a probiotic. WHY is this not helping? I try to do it every single day, most days 2 times a day. And I blow dry the area afterwards.

if it were me, i would apply coconut oil.  is he eating any fruit or sugar or white stuff?  (flour, etc.)  just some ideas, hope you figure it out.  :-\
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
  • "It starts when you sink in his arms and ends with
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 02:59:17 AM »

I have used coconut oil with the powder from a TTU mixed in on diaper rash/yeast before and I love how it worked.  It seemed to work very fast too.  I would put it on after each diaper change. 
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 01:41:15 PM »
Ok, I have been doing this with my 4 year old boy (its an anal yeast infection) for THREE weeks.
What is "this" that you're referring to?
  My favorite herb book!!