Author Topic: What's In the Water?: Finding the Best Source of Water  (Read 28020 times)

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
What's In the Water?: Finding the Best Source of Water
« on: April 27, 2006, 10:54:46 AM »
I've done a bit of looking around about this, but I am hoping to get some additional input here.  We don't have a filter on the tap for our well water and can't get one until we get a water softener, so in the meantime I have been buying bottled water at the store.  I have been buying spring water- not from a municipal water supply- but I wonder if distilled would be a better choice.  I understand it doesn't have the minerals that spring water does, but is that necessarily a bad thing?  Any opinions welcome :)  Thanks.
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: What's In the Water?: Finding the Best Source of Water
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 11:53:17 AM »
I've done a bit of looking around about this, but I am hoping to get some additional input here.  We don't have a filter on the tap for our well water and can't get one until we get a water softener, so in the meantime I have been buying bottled water at the store.  I have been buying spring water- not from a municipal water supply- but I wonder if distilled would be a better choice.  I understand it doesn't have the minerals that spring water does, but is that necessarily a bad thing?  Any opinions welcome :)  Thanks.

Distilled water is basically dead water.  It really has very little health benefits other than hydration, unless you are fasting.  According to an article by Chet Day at mercola.com, since distilled water is void of any minerals or trace substances, it can readily absorb toxins while cleansing and detoxing for short periods of time; however, there are more drawbacks than benefits.  I recommend you read the entire arcticle, but here is an exerpt.

Why I Now Say No to Distilled Water Only

Distillation is the process in which water is boiled, evaporated and the vapour condensed. Distilled water is free of dissolved minerals and, because of this, has the special property of being able to actively absorb toxic substances from the body and eliminate them. Studies validate the benefits of drinking distilled water when one is seeking to cleanse or detoxify the system for short periods of time (a few weeks at a time). Fasting using distilled water can be dangerous because of the rapid loss of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride) and trace minerals like magnesium, deficiencies of which can cause heart beat irregularities and high blood pressure. Cooking foods in distilled water pulls the minerals out of them and lowers their nutrient value."
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 05:16:25 PM »
I have a book written by Steve Meyerowitz called Water, The Ultimate Cure. It is just shy of 100 pages, but full of information on water, how it affects our bodies, the different kinds of water, filtration systems, and water storage.

He admits that adversaries of distilled water call it dead water because it is sterile, containing no mineral or organic life. Critics believe that distilled water attracts any organic material that it comes in contact with.

Once distilled water becomes "contaminated," it becomes stable and no longer attracts material. You could accomplish this by putting your finger in the water.

The fact that distilled water attracts minerals to compensate for its lack causes some to leap to the conclusion that it is dangerous to drink. Distilled water does not have the ability to draw minerals that are bound in your bones and cells.

The minerals found in spring water are INORGANIC. They are the runoff from stone, soil and other materials that the water has dissolved as it ran over it. ONLY PLANTS can convert inorganic minerals and nutrients to organic. That's why fruits and vegetables are our best source for vitamins and minerals. While distilled water can "leach" inorganic minerals, this property is immediately neutralized when it comes in contact with your stomach contents.

While technically correct, the claim that distilled water can leach has no practical impact on human health. Kidney patients receiving dialysis use distilled water in their treatments without losing organic minerals from their bodies.

Now, here's another thing I didn't know until reading this book. The numbers on the bottom of plastic containers let you know how stable the plastic is. For instance, if there is a #2 on the bottom of the jug of water you purchased, it is made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE). This is a flaccid, opaque plastic that is likely to impart a plastic taste, indicating that there is, in fact, plastic leeching into the water. If you've ever bought distilled water in one of these jugs, you will notice that it has an expiration date. It isn't that the water will spoil. Instead, it is because of the unstable nature of distilled water. It will try to chelate the plastic, and you will notice it in the taste.

Instead, look for water packaged in bottles labeled with a #1 on the bottom (PETE -- polyethylene terephthalate), considered the most inert. Or look for bottles with a #7 on the bottom. This uses Polycarbonate plastic and is considered highly inert.

Then, you can make your own version of mineral water by taking advantage of distilled water's natural chelating ability. Place a few grains of high-quality, organic brown rice in the water. This will stabilize the water in minutes and add organic minerals to it, causing it to be alive with nutrients. Store this in the refrigerator and drink within a few days.

I prefer distilled water because I can trust that it is from a pure source, rather than having to compare all of the unknowns in bottled waters.

If your choice is spring water, Steve Meyerowitz recommends Mountain Valley from Hot Springs, Arkansas as the oldest and best known. For the world's deepest known source of bottled spring water, he recommends Trinity Springs in Paradise, Idaho. It is 2.2 miles deep and reaches the surface at 138 degrees F. It is protected from contamination by granite.

Now, I think I'll go have a drink  8)!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 06:14:33 AM »
I read that distilled and reverse osmosis water not only have no minerals but they have an acidic ph that is the same as the ph of people with cancer, but what really interested me was the claim that they have no available oxygen and that's why fish can't live in it. What do y'all think? Anyone willing to test the "fish can't live in it" theory?  :-\
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:05:39 AM »
I just got a Berkey, so I was reading a lot trying to find out what the best kind of water would be (distilled, R/O, etc...) and I came across this article saying distilled water is perfectly good -- just wonder what you all think about it?  It came from here:
http://www.medical-library.net/sitesd/framer.html?/sitesd/_distilled_water.html

There is circulating a point of view about distilled water, undoubtedly promulgated by producers and sellers of mineral water. This point of view is that water should be mineralized in order to have health benefits and that distilled water somehow leaches out minerals from the body.

To understand the truth about this matter one must know a little about mineral chemistry in living systems. In order for a mineral to be of any use to the body it must be presented in a form in which it can be used. That form involves an association with an organic (carbon based) molecule. Carbon based molecules are to be found in living systems, and are not found in the ground which is where mineral water comes from. Water from the ground comes with minerals alright, but these minerals are in salt form. When salt is presented to the body (with rare exceptions such as sodium chloride) it must be either stored or excreted. A good example is CaCO3 (calcium carbonate). Carbonate is not a sufficiently complex organic molecule and therefore cannot properly contribute its calcium to living systems. The calcium comes out instead in ionic form (with a positive charge) and precipitates by forming other salts. Common locations for precipitation of calcium are the lens of the eye (cataracts), the kidneys (kidney stones) and the walls of arteries (arteriosclerosis). Unbound minerals must be excreted, which is extra work for the kidneys) or stored. This makes dust of the argument that healthy water is mineralized, and dust is of course the source of minerals in mineral water.

Incidentally, CaCO3 comes from lime stone and comprises the bulk of most calcium supplements, including that in “calcium enriched orange juice.” If you want cataracts, kidney stones, and arteriosclerosis, be sure to eat and drink “calcium enriched” foods.

Now as to the argument that distilled water leaches out minerals. This is true, and this is exactly what we want it to do. The minerals it leaches out are of the unusable, ionic form and we want these to leave the body rather than be deposited and cause disease. Distilled water does not leach out significant amounts of biologically available minerals because these are quickly taken up by the body on an as needed basis. If they are present in excess then they are filtered through the kidneys and this is exactly what needs to happen with all things which are in excess in the circulation. Distilled water cleanses the body through promoting healthy kidney function.

Finally, if mineral water is not a good source of biologically available minerals, then what is? Think about it. Minerals are present in the ground and must be biologically bound in order to be used by the body. Where would that come from? Plants, or course! Your mineral source should be plants not water. The purpose of water is to cleanse the body. To do the best job of that, it must be free of everything else. Only distilled water fits that bill.

As to carbon filtered and reverse osmosis water, these are better solutions than tap water or mineral water, however they still fall far short of the standard set by distilled water.

Nature knows best and nature supplies distilled water in the form of rain. However, rain water is no longer pure due to atmospheric pollution. The only remaining option is for us to distill our own water. To that end, I have found no equal of the WaterWise 9000 for up to five people in a home or office.

If you would like to read more I recommend two books: The Truth About Water and Your Body’s many Cries For Water.

Ron Kennedy, M.D.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 07:22:22 AM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 07:10:23 AM »
This is so interesting....I have used distilled water for yrs and have gallons of it in my downstairs fridge! I love the taste of it and use it and now read it isn't good for me?.....yikes! I just have always felt that....distilled is better....I will have to do some more investigating....on this...Beth in Idaho

PMESguy

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 11:29:40 AM »
Ask yourself the following question: what type of water does nature provide for us to drink? If you were to take a time machine back 200 years to your family's farm (most likely) where what kind of water were they drinking??

www.healthywater.com

I personally drink spring water. Evian is very good quality and is available pretty much everywhere.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 12:19:38 PM »
Okay, so what type of filter is best? How do you get all the chemicals out of your tap water and still leave the minerals in?

PMESguy

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 05:08:02 PM »
Okay, so what type of filter is best? How do you get all the chemicals out of your tap water and still leave the minerals in?

Look for a Doulton filter for drinking water. www.bestfilters.com If you use RO water, you can add the minerals back in with high quality sea salt, bentonie clay, or other liquid muti forumulas.

Also keep in mind that your body essenitally "drinks" ~60% of the fluids on your skin. A shower filter is as important as a drinking water filter IMO.

Offline starryiz

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »
I hate my tap water.  We have city water and to me it smells like a swimming pool it has so much chlorine smell in it.  If you leave a glass out to sit, it gets white powdery stuff in it.  I couldnt use it to boil things to sterilize because it leaves a white powderly residue.  But I have not choice but to drink it.  I cant afford a bottled water.  The best I can do is filter it with a Brita filter....that is the best filter I can afford as of now.  Do you think city water is safe for drinking?  I hate that it has fluoride and stuff in it.  Do you drink your tap water?

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 09:57:50 AM »
I've been drinking our tap water but I don't like it and I don't think it's affecting me in a good way. I think I felt healthier when I drank bottled. I drank more water when it was filtered also...the clean cold taste was great! We are saving for a Berkley Light Filter...I can't wait! I'm sure a Brita is better than nothing!

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 10:21:48 AM »
We have spring water and still use our Berkey Light. We've gotten used to the taste and now can't be without it. I wouldn't drink city water at all. If you can't afford anything else for right now, I would definitely use the Brita, but research something else for when you can save up for it. I found the Berkey Light on More Than Alive for $175 shipped.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 12:02:34 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think the white residue is lime and calcium deposits.  I don't think (don't quote me) that this will hurt anything.  The chlorine is what I would worry about the most and boiling will take care of that.  As far as flouride goes, it really depends on where you live how much flouride you have in your water.  Some places actually add flouride to the water and others don't.  In most states, you can send a sample of your water to a state university and they will test it for you and send you the results.  Something to think about anyway. 

We drink our tap water, but we eat and drink lots of probiotics.  I would drink bottled water, but most of it's not any better than our tap water.  How do I know this?  I used to work for a water company and we tested many of the bottled waters they sell in the stores and many of them came up just as contaminated as our tap water--again it depends on the source.  There are no FDA regs for purified water, so they can just run it through a coffee filter and then slap a purified water label on it and sell it as so.  If you want pure water, the best way to go is an R/O from a reputable company or possibly one of these Berky things (no experience with these) or send in some samples of your favorite bottled water along with your tap to get them tested.  I just bet you'd be surprised at what you find out.

Hubby thinks (it's been a long time) that Hinkley & Schmidt and Culligan were two of the brands that tested above average and we tested for nitrates, chlorine, fluoride, iron and hardness (calicum & lime).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 12:06:28 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 12:18:53 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think the white residue is lime and calcium deposits. 

I think that HB is right here.  When we lived in Mexico, we got our water directly from a well.  The groung surrounding the well was practically solid lime stone.  There were no added chemicals, and we had a ton of the white stuff in our water.  If I boiled a pan of water and let it sit, I could pour off the water and have a couple of tablespoons of white powder.  We never considered it to be anything but lime.  We figured, its just calcium, it couldn't do much harm.  And yes, we drank it. 

PMESguy

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 12:34:15 PM »
Depens on you overall health and stress levels really. How good is your body at getting rid of the things in your diet that aren't supposed to be there? If the avg person has something like 180 toxins in their fat cells, do we really need to be adding more if we can help it??

It's not nature that you should be afraid of in the water. Bacteria are everywhere.  It's the presense of Man that you need to filter out.

Every major waterway in the world is far beyond 'safe' levels of environmental pollution. I don't think there's a city water sourced tap in America that dosn't come without a random assortment of petrol chemicals, DDT, antibiotic residues, Prozac and Lipitor residues, herbicide, fungicide, rodenticide, pesticide, or any -cide you can shake a stick at!!!

Before the industrial revolution I suppose, "natural" water was readly available. But natural water isn't pure, it has "stuff" in it. It has a natural hardness to it. You have to wonder if "pure" "clean" and "sanitary" water is really what the body needs.

So what's the real deal with "clean" water anyway?? www.healthywater.com

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 12:38:35 PM by PMESguy »

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 09:08:41 AM »
No, it is not safe. Something you could do is buy organic, fresh lemons. Cut the lemons into small chunks and make sure you put a chunk into your water. The lemon will help purify it and the peel will help suck up chemicals into the rind so you aren't drinking it.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 09:49:52 AM »
I try real hard not to drink mine. It alternates between heavy chlorine & smelling like dirt &/or mold. The pipes in our complex are old so I figure that has something to do with it. Chlorine makes me sick to my stomach so that's another reason I don't want to drink the tap water. One time several months ago DH had been using hot tap water to make instant coffee & started having bad cramps & diarrhea every night. The only thing he was doing different than the rest of us was the tap water. He switched to bottled water for his coffee & used Oreganol for a few days & it has never returned. Maybe it was something else but we figure that he picked up some bad bacteria or more likely a parasite from the water. Sometimes we buy bottled from the groc. store & sometimes we fill our own jugs from one of the machines at the HFS. One of my local groc. stores has one of the machines too but I figure the one at the HFS is better maintained because the people that work there care about things like cleaner water so they would tend to pay more attention to wither the machine was maintained on schedule. Just the way I figure it. Blessings ~herbalmom

Asthedeer1

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 11:25:38 AM »
Yuck!  I can't make myself drink tap water.  As of now we use a faucet mounted Brita filter.  I am sure that is better than nothing, I can sure taste the difference.  Just this last week our town found high levels of unsafe bacteria in the water system linked to feces, (I can't remember now what it is called) UGH, it was so gross.  Then they added tons of chlorine, before even notifying anyone, so one morning I was doing laundry and the water came out smelling like really strong swimming pool water.  I won't trust them again, and they said not to even boil it, that that would not do anything to the chlorine.  We really want to purchase a whole house filtration system but can't afford it at this time.  The Bible warns us about what will and has become of our water. 

Rebecca :)

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 11:29:21 AM »
We have been using a Berkey for over a year and I really like and trust it.  I actually did a sniff test with my husband.  I had him smell our tap water and compare it to the filtered water.  There is a huge difference.  Sometimes when I turn on our tap it smells like straight bleach is pouring out of it.  My question is, what are they trying so hard to remove.  Luckily, we don't have flouride in our tap - yet, there are some people pushing for it but we are moving away soon anyways.  We will have a well.  I know nothing about that.

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 12:16:26 PM »
I hate my tap water.    I couldnt use it to boil things to sterilize because it leaves a white powderly residue.   Do you drink your tap water?

So that's what that residue is!!! No I don't drink tapwater, I used to live in and around Fresno, Ca and the water smells so bad, so now that I live in the NW I still can't drink tap, We use a brita but would like to switch to something better in the future.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 07:29:43 AM »
NO!

Offline MotherOfBlessings

• Adept
  • Blessed beyond what I deserve!
    • My Homestead Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 07:35:32 AM »
We use a Pur filter that is mounted on the faucet.  It is affordable and I definitely notice the difference in smell and taste.  I would like a Berkley but it is too much $$$ right now.  I use filtered water for all cooking and even for ice cubes.  Our ice is pretty clear.  If they get made with tap water they are cloudy!  Yuk! >:(
Wife to SSgt. Cole, former USMC, now USNG
Homeschooling Mommy of 8 Blessings from the Lord

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
NO!

No Berkey or no tap water?
I think she means "No, it isn't safe" and "No, she doesn't drink it" in answer to the original question (topic title).  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 09:34:36 AM »
   Interesting topic. We've drank RO water for a long time, but recently my dh. started going to a doctor that's natural. His arthritis flared up and all the medical world or nutritionist wanted to do was throw pills at him. Local friends told us about this man who was a medical doctor for yrs. but about 6 yrs ago went all natural. I'm talking Nourishing Tradition natural. Awesome guy. He's also a chemical engineer. Anyway, when we told him we drink and cook with reverse osmosis water he said, "dead water." Completely shocked my dh. He asked us how God made water and said we can't improve on how He made it. Water picks up minerals as it goes through the ground that your body needs to move sludge. We asked him about all the chemicals in the ground nowadays and he said because of our poor stewardship of what God gave us it's how it is and most water isn't fit to drink. He said to test our water and if it isn't safe, find water that is. Find someone that has a well that is safe. He also said that many people can handle RO water without a problem but someone like my dh. who's trying to get his system straightened out needs good water with all the minerals.
   Funny thing is, my dh works for a company that sells water purifiers and he just found out that "pure" water is very acidic. Will eat the pipes. He doesn't work in that part of the business but still is in on the meetings.  When i mean "pure" i'm talking distilled or RO water. I've often wondered about the "pure" water, because seems to me that God made water the way He did for a reason. Everyone knows clean, icy cold water from a mountain stream is the best. For now, i'll continue to cook with RO water and me and the kids are going to drink it, but we're buying pure spring water from a source that's been tested for my dh, and see if it makes  a difference in him. Another interesting thing is, my dh has struggled for a long time with his immune system and his gout arthritis, and all these yrs he's been drinking Ro water. Could there be a connection?
   My dh. says that he knows from training that distilled water is very drawing when it goes through your body, so it would make sense that he's not getting near as much from his vitamins as the water takes it with it. He's also been shown that his body is very deficient in minerals which would explain the low immune system.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 09:51:32 AM »
NO!

No Berkey or no tap water?
"Is Tap Water Safe??? Do You Drink It??? --- NO!"

Check this link for a discussion on types of water
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,356.msg11019.html#msg11019
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 09:54:38 AM by SC »

Asthedeer1

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 10:05:16 AM »
Diaperswyper, I have read the same thing you are describing.  We do need the minerals, and distilled water is not safe, from what I know, to drink on a regular basis.  Spring water is the best if you can afford it.  I think in the case of tap water it would still be healthier to filter it than just drink it straight from the tap and ingest all the chemicals man adds.  I looked into buying spring water once and the companies I checked with filter their water to a point as well.  Call around and ask a lot of questions.

Rebecca :)

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 10:11:33 AM »
Does anyone know of a entire house filter? I want to get rid of the chlorine at all the sinks and showers. We have a nice water purifier at the kitchen sink. The systems I have looked at have two problems: $$$ and slowing down all the water coming into the house. No one wants to take showers with no water pressure from the filter.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 10:54:09 AM »
Does anyone know of a entire house filter? I want to get rid of the chlorine at all the sinks and showers. We have a nice water purifier at the kitchen sink. The systems I have looked at have two problems: $$$ and slowing down all the water coming into the house. No one wants to take showers with no water pressure from the filter.

Here's a link.

Water Filtration Systems

Something to consider (just thinking out loud).  One of the most harmful sediments in your water is also the smallest in particle size.  So if you're trying to just use a so-so filter, you're going to filter out dirt, calcium, lime and other sediments while allowing the smaller particles to pass through (chlorine, flouride, nitrates, etc.).  I think you'd be better off drinking all or nothing.  No t really sure though. 

I really do think that your body is designed to ingest a certain number of toxins and be able to waste them efficiently.  I think if your tap water (depeding on the source) is your only problem, it's probably safe to say that your body could metabolise and waste what shouldn't be there; however, in this society, about 90% of what we put in our bodies is toxic (processed foods, vaccinations, drugs, plastics, aluminum, sprays, hygeine products, etc), that the chlorine in your water could very well be the straw that broke the camel's back.   :-\

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 04:56:45 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mxmom

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 12:36:16 PM »
When we lived on the eastern slopes of the Rockies, our well was 400' deep and the water was sooooo good.  However, we moved and now have tap water, so I get filtered water in big bottles for our water cooler.  The small company I get it from claims all those really tiny, gross, and creepy things are filtered out.  I have not submitted a sample for analysis, but think I will after reading this.  They did tell me that I could get a flouride tablet from the Health Unit to replace the flouride they filter out.   ;D

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 02:19:38 PM »
We have been on well water for the last 7 places we've lived(or the last 12 yrs) Benefits of livlng in the boondocks  ;D. We haven't had our current well tested but it tastes great, our ice is pretty clear and we have had no troubles. We visited a friend who recently moved to a city and when you turned on the tap it smelled like a YMCA. Yuck!
LKS