Author Topic: Broken Bones: Natural Healing and Pain Relief  (Read 58306 times)

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
Re: Broken Bones: Natural Healing and Pain Relief
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 05:43:12 PM »
bump...Thought I'd check again to see if anyone might have a suggestion for how to apply a comfrey compress to the back.  (see previous post)

Thanks!

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2007, 04:07:46 AM »
bump...Thought I'd check again to see if anyone might have a suggestion for how to apply a comfrey compress to the back.  (see previous post)

Thanks!

When applying a compress to a hard to reach or hold place I like to use Ace (compression) bandages.  Just wrap it around a couple of times with the compress underneath and it usually works.  I've never tried it on a back, but it worked great for a toe/foot compress during the night.  One idea at least  ;D

-Heather

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2007, 06:19:39 AM »

Thanks!

Heather's ace bandage sounds best.  But she might not be able to put one on herself very well.  If she had a long cloth... like a scarf only woven instead of yarn knit - she could put the compressed materials in that.  Then she could hold that around herself on the skin and tie it in front for a while.... with the shades pulled.

...  that's my try at it anyway.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 02:51:42 PM »
So, what can I do with a break that has a cast on it? I've been using a comfrey/onion poultice on my 12 mos. wrist but he is going to have a cast put on this week. The poultice did wonders, in fact, nobody believed that it was broke and I believe it was because of the herbs. He has a brace on now, but I hesitate to put the poultice on because I know it is broke. It is out of alignment so we have to have a pediatric orthopedist look at it. I don't want it to heal out of place. He gets lots of calcium, he nurses and drinks raw cow's milk. He also takes liquid mineral in his beet kvass and I give him cod liver oil. I figure if I can get him to drink the yucky stuff now, he won't know any different. ;) Anyway, I didn't know if there was a way to still use comfrey...is he too young for comfrey tea? He'll drink it if I sweeten it with stevia. Thanks for any input. He is such a trooper, he only fussed when he fell.
Jessica

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 03:47:03 PM »
My six-year-old broke his arm badly a couple weeks ago and it required surgery and pins. I've been giving him Bone Ami pretty much every day. Today he saw the orthopedist for an x-ray and checkup and the doctor was startled at how advanced the healing was. I wonder if there is a connection?  ::)

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 04:18:16 AM »
Bone Ami is liquid right? I could give it to my 1 yr. old? I know he will heal quickly because he is so young but I want to do all I can to make the bones strong.

Offline Andi

• Learning
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 05:34:22 AM »
Syphytum Officinal is the homeopathic form of comfrey. It's easier to do than comfrey cause you just put it in your mouth. It is supposed to heal a broken bone in 7-10 days. A website to get it at is www.homeopathyworks.com. Order the 30C kind. It works the best.

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 12:00:49 PM »
Okay, what can I do for a (more than likely) broken finger? I smashed the middle finger of my right hand between 2 logs. The nail immediatly turned purple. It hurts like heck. I have no comfrey or plaintain or anything helpful. I'm looking for pain management. If y'all don't come up w/ something good I'm going for the ibuprofen  :'(
LKS

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »
BUMP

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
White Willow Bark and Feverfew are good for pain.  I have a tincture of them mixed that helps when DH gets a migrain.

Arnica might help with pain and healing as long as there is no broken skin.

Sorry I'm not much help.  I'll be praying for pain relief and speedy healing!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »
Thanks.  ;)
Liese

YoopreMama

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 02:17:26 AM »
Here's a thread on natural pain relievers...

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,10777.0.html

Hope you're feeling better!  :)

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »
Thanks Yooper.  :)
LKS

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »
I'm sure your nail is better now, but just for the record I've been told by several people that you need to drill a small hole in the nail with a small drillbit to releave the pressure. My husband had this happen to him recently, and so that's what he did. All of the blood oozed out, and he said the throbbing stopped and he felt much better. He did take Tylenol and Ibuprofen before he drilled the nail. Neither helped the throbbing, only getting the blood out from under the nail. I've also heard that this prevents you from losing your nail as well. His is still on. We're just watching it now to make sure no signs of infection develop. HTH someone!

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 08:19:36 AM »
Good to know for next time. (hopefully there won't be next time)
LKS

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2008, 05:21:36 AM »
hi gals, just looking for some advice.  last summer i chipped a bone in my foot.  it is the bone right under the pinky toe, on the padded part.  when they take the callous off the pain goes away, then as it regrows it gets painful.  i am scheduled for surgery to remove the bone that is chipped.  i don't want it to mess up my foot worse, do you all think it is a safe bet to have the chipped stuff removed?  it is going to mess up my life to be laid up for a month, but i don't want to have this pain forever.  any other ideas?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2008, 11:07:26 AM »
from Broken bone protocol:

Spring 2005--RAPID HEALING

I broke my ankle bone (fibula) a month ago, and the doctor said it was a significant injury and may need surgery. I followed the Weston Price protocol for fractures, using 1 teaspoon cod liver oil daily, 1 teaspoon high-vitamin X Factor butter oil daily, lots of raw milk, raw cheese, kefir and bone broths daily, as well as lying in the sun.

Went back for checkup, and doctor said the bone was clinically healed at 4 weeks! I am out of my boot cast and walking all over the place in my sneakers! For a 40-year-old woman, this is quite a testimonial.

I share the beliefs of this organization with everyone, just wanted to say thank you, the diet really works. I have followed a traditional diet for over a year now and really am feeling good these days.

Juliann Rank
Dade City, Florida

HTH. Praying for his salvation and his healing!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2008, 11:26:56 AM »
hi gals, just looking for some advice.  last summer i chipped a bone in my foot.  it is the bone right under the pinky toe, on the padded part.  when they take the callous off the pain goes away, then as it regrows it gets painful.  i am scheduled for surgery to remove the bone that is chipped.  i don't want it to mess up my foot worse, do you all think it is a safe bet to have the chipped stuff removed?  it is going to mess up my life to be laid up for a month, but i don't want to have this pain forever.  any other ideas?

It surprises me that it is hurting.  Seems like the bone chip would be surrounded by scar tissue by now.  Does the doc say what is causing the pain? 

I'm curious about what shows up on the x-ray.  If it were me, I would think seriously about getting a second opinion before having surgery.   But then, I would prefer to have some real definate answers before risking surgery.   

If you do have the surgery, prepare as much as you can ahead of time to keep your house running smoothly.  Set up a way to get the laundry done, make a lot of meals ahead, etc.

just my .02
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »
I have a broken bone in that spot and it healed crooked and the piece pokes towards the bottom of my foot.  I thought it was causing me pain and you can even see it on an xray but my orthopedist said I had something called a neuroma in there and the bone wouldn't/shouldn't even bother me.  I can't recommend this - cuz I know that it can cause a softening of the bones, but here's what happened with my foot.

The doc gate me two shots of cortizone in the foot - OWIE!  It hurt worse than normal shots but I recovered quickly  ::)  Within a few weeks, my pain was gone except when the barometric pressure would change it would ache like arthritis.  Then when I started taking CLO and other fatty acid supplements even this went away.

This might not help, but what I'm getting at is that I think I agree on that 2nd opinion.  If you've already had xrays you might want to have another doc look at them - one who isn't gungho for surgery.  Mine was trying to avoid it at all costs - some are of the other mindset.

HTH
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »
ok, thanks a lot!  i really appreciate all the advice.  i had thought about getting a second opinion, but then thought maybe i was just being to paranoid of dr's etc.  i think the guy i saw was a foot surgeon.  hhhmmmmmm.......will look into finding an orthopedic dr?  not sure what they all are.  i am taking CLO, etc. and no relief yet.  it keeps getting worse.  they say it is the chipped pieces (2) that are causing the callous and it is causing pain.  well, i will call a different doc tomorrow.  thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2008, 06:50:13 PM »
I had a ankle sprain and after the initial injury healed I still had lots of pain on cold days - I got some great advice here and realized it was the bone that hurt. I had a cheap vit. a cod liver oil here and started taking that. The pain seemed to increase the first week then went away. How long have you been taking it? 

What about rubbing coconut oil on the area that gets the calluse? Maybe the lauric acid in the coconut oil would keep the caulluse from forming and eventually heal it.
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2008, 06:26:12 AM »
well, just thought i'd post my experience here, after ya'lls advice i made another appt. to see a different dr.  then after driving an hour to see him, i had forgotten my xrays.  instead of having them redone and paying for them myself, i decided to just have the surgery.  so friday i did that.  what they found was that i had "extra" bones, not broken ones.  so they were removed and i am sitting around here with my foot up and on ice, trying not to go crazy.  doing as many things as i can while sitting.  my family is taking good care of me!   ;D  i hope when it's healed it won't hurt. 

YoopreMama

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2008, 08:57:14 AM »
Thanks for posting this...my dd may have broken her arm this weekend...
from Broken bone protocol:

Spring 2005--RAPID HEALING
I broke my ankle bone (fibula) a month ago, and the doctor said it was a significant injury and may need surgery. I followed the Weston Price protocol for fractures, using 1 teaspoon cod liver oil daily, 1 teaspoon high-vitamin X Factor butter oil daily, lots of raw milk, raw cheese, kefir and bone broths daily, as well as lying in the sun.
I'm also trying to give her teas high in calcium/silica (oat straw, nettles, horsetail).

We picked up some Herb Pharm Trauma Drops, too (out of Rescue Remedy due to last birth)...a liquid tincture of Calendula, St. John's Wort and Arnica.  That seems to be very useful.

She hasn't been in pain, or I'd give her white willow bark tea...

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2009, 03:17:31 PM »
Anyone have some ideas about this?  A friend's SIL is a marathon runner and she found out that she has a stress fracture in her shin.  She's basically just supposed to stay off of it completely for several weeks, and is on crutches.  She was very surprised when I told her that I thought comfrey could help with it, and was interested in learning more.  I told her I'd try to see what I could find out, and of course came here first  :)  I've read through this thread, and it does seem that comfrey seems to really help, though I didn't read anything specifically about stress fractures.  What I'm not clear on though is the best way to use the comfrey from your experience, and also how to prepare the remedy -- as a compress over the shin, or as a soak, or another method like a salve.
I also read on WAPF site about the link between soft drink consumption and bone fractures in young girls and teenagers, so I thought I'd pass on that info too.   
Thanks for what help you can give!     
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

YoopreMama

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2009, 03:31:19 PM »
I've used it in salves for minor injuries, but for the 2 broken bones we've had, I've made compresses of the roots and leaves.  They were both very minor fractures. 

I haven't read about comfrey specifically w/ stress fractures of the shin.  I'd certainly keep looking into it.  :)

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/comfrey.html
One person's use...

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_comfrey.htm
A favorite site...

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »
Thanks for the links and ideas, Yooper!  Anyone else??
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »
I've not had experience with stress fractures, but when my son fractured his wrist, we used comfrey poultices.  I soaked dried comfrey in water or EVOO (doesn't dry out as fast), warmed it on the stove and placed it in a cloth.

I applied arnica oil to the site for pain/swelling and then placed the comfrey poultice on that and wrapped with an ace bandage.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2009, 09:03:56 PM »
In reply #17 on this thread I explain how to prepare comfrey to soak in & also talk about using 2 new trash cans the right height to come right below my knees to soak both lower legs in when I got a really bad sunburn. In your friend's case, that's what I would recommend. That way the entire lower leg gets to soak including shins & ligaments. (her ligaments have probably been strained as well, IMO) Comfrey &/or BF&C should help stress fractures just as much as they help other fractures. The basic idea is to soak as often & as long as possible. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom   

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies!  I called the School of Nat. Healing in herbalmom's #17 post, and the gal I talked to (the receptionist) recommended taking 1 cup of the cut herb BF&C formula (now called Complete Tissue and Bone Formula) adding it to 1 gallon of water, and cooking it down (NOT boiling, just steaming) by 1/2.  Strain out the herbs, then use a 100% cotton cloth to dip in it, wrap it around the area, then secure in place with a self-stick bandage (she recommended a kind from ISA that is used for animals--said an Ace can be too tight)  She recommended changing this twice a day, leaving it off for an hour or so in between to air out.  She also recommended taking the capsules to help with pain, starting with 8 every 2 hours, taking more if there's still pain after 2 hours, or trying less if the pain goes away (within 2 hours).  I did find the website that sells his formulas, www.drchristophersherbshop.com, and noticed that there is no comfrey in this formula.  Also this premixed formula costs $32 for a pound, as opposed to comfrey for less than $7/lb from elsewhere.  Since I have comfrey on hand, and since herbal healing is foreign to her, I think I'll try making this up and giving it to her, rather than her spending the money on it, just in case she's not convinced that it's helping   :) 
I also asked about the leftover 'tea' and how long it could be stored, and the gal said what she does is bottle it and stores it in the back of the fridge for up to a week, pouring out what she needs at each application.  I can't remember if she said that she warms it first or not, but i guess it'd probably feel better if you did warm it a little. 

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2009, 05:04:18 PM »
Well I took my dd to the doctors today, and she did fracture her shoulder.   (I'm happy it wasn't dislocated), from that fall from the horse.  They couldn't put a cast on it, it's just in a sling.  I was reading thru the posts, and I do have bone ami, so i'm going to make sure she gets that.  i don't have comfrey, i need to look and see what it looks like, maybe I have some in the yard.  :)

Is there anything else to help her?  I've been giving tyelnol for pain, but I don't like to do that.  She is 12, probably about 75lbs or so.  We've been using a water bottle for the swelling. 

I'm curious, why do they set some bones and not others?  If it can heal on its own, why do they bother to set bones at all?  Just wondering. 

She has to go back in 3weeks to have x-rays again.

At least it's her left arm.  I do have coconut oil, lavender ess oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and some epsom salts.  Would any of those things help at all?

Thanks
Wendy