Author Topic: Broken Bones: Natural Healing and Pain Relief  (Read 60049 times)

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
Broken Bones: Natural Healing and Pain Relief
« on: August 30, 2006, 01:19:18 PM »
A guy my husband works with took a bad fall yesterday.  they were at school learning to jump out of planes and I am not sure exactly what happened but he fell from about 50 feet to the ground.  He fractured a vertebrae and I guess his feet and knees took the brunt of the impact, but they arent broken.  He is in a lot of pain and still in hospital.  any suggestions for natural things to offer him?  I dont know if he will be willing to take anything but I thought we should offer anyway.  Also, he is not saved.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Broken Bones: Natural Healing and Pain Relief
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 02:37:27 PM »
I would recommend cod liver or fish oil for healing of any ligament or joint tears and to help prevent calcium deposits while the bones are healing.

Here's the info I picked up on broken bones:

Bone Fracturehome remedy:

from  Home Made Medicine

When  a bone in the body breaks or cracks it’s called fracture. There are two types of fractures: closed or simple, when the skin that covers the bone remains intact or it’s open or compound when the bone breaks the skin.

When a fracture occurs, cause terrible pain and tenderness in the area fractured, along with swelling, the appearance of some blood under the skin and some numbness, tingling or paralysis below the injured area.

When a person fractures an arm or leg, he or she could lose the pulse below the fracture. Fractures are more common in young children and in older adults. As we grow older, our bones get weaker and more fragile, and they take more and more time to heal themselves.

A fracture requires professional attention, what we offer here are recommendations that will aid in healing after the bone has been set.

NOTE: Bone mass increases continually throughout life until approximately 30-40 years of age. In later years, net bone loss occurs when bone resorption exceeds the amount of bone formed. In fact, bones lose their density continuously each year after the age of 30 in both men and women. To assist in promoting the health of our bones, studies have long shown that a daily intake of Calcium is critical. Get Calcium Here

We recommend

*Eat half pineapple every day until it's completely healed. It contains Bromelain, an enzyme that helps to reduce swelling and inflammation. Do not eat canned or processed pineapples. If you don't  like fresh pineapple, take the supplement Bromelain. It has the same effect as pineapple.

*  It is very important to regain Bone Strength as soon as possible to avoid future injuries and to insure a solid bone fusion. we recommend that you take this.

*Do not eat red meat, and avoid drinking colas and all products containing caffeine.

*Avoid eating foods with preservatives, they contain Phosphorous which can lead to bone loss.

*Take Boron, is important for the health and healing of the bone.

*Take Calcium + Magnesium + Potassium.  They are essential to repair bone damage and to maintain a good muscle and heart condition.

*Take Zinc, helps repair tissue damage.

* Calcium Information
Essential Calcium Information for osteoporosis treatment,arthritis pain relief,to prevent bone disease,to improve bone density,back pain relief and promoting healthy strong bones.

Bone Fractures: Broken Bones Can Take Longer To Heal With Painkillers

from theHealthierLive.co.uk
There are plenty of good reasons to avoid extended or everyday use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

In several e-alerts we've told you how NSAIDs (such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and COX-2 inhibitors) have been shown to contribute to liver and kidney impairment, gastrointestinal problems, and even an increased risk of congestive heart failure.

Now a new study demonstrates that if you fracture a bone, a NSAID is not the best choice for managing pain. Fortunately, there's a natural alternative that's much safer.

Foot bone's connected to the leg bone
In the most recent issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, two US researchers from the University of North Carolina School of Medicine (UNC) review several studies that examine the use of NSAIDs as analgesics for patients recovering from fractures.

One of the studies - as reported in the Journal of Bone Joint Surgery (2000) - compared the recovery of nearly 100 patients who had fractured a femur (the long bone that runs from the hip to the knee). The fractures of 32 subjects healed improperly and were classified as "nonunion," while fractures repaired correctly in a control group of 67 subjects.

The researchers found a significant association between the use of NSAIDs and the nonunion of fractures. More than 60 percent of the nonunion group reported regular NSAID use compared to only 13 percent in the control group. Among the subjects who used NSAIDs, the average healing time was a full two months longer than among those who used no NSAIDs at all.

Based on this and other similar studies, the UNC researchers concluded that during the healing of fractures, NSAIDs should be avoided. They also noted that COX-2 inhibitors not only have an adverse effect on bone healing, but may also impair the healing of ligaments.

Pineapple pain relief
It's one thing for a researcher to crunch some numbers and recommend that NSAIDs not be used to manage fracture pain. But that same researcher might have a different opinion if he were to suddenly find his own femur in two pieces rather than one.

For daily reports on the very latest health breakthroughs, join our FREE daily email service:

The problem is, there aren't a lot of pain relief alternatives out there.

Acetaminophen isn't an NSAID, and it can be an effective pain killer, but as I've mentioned in previous e-alerts, acetaminophen products can create health problems that are arguably worse than those of NSAIDs.

A safe alternative to both acetaminophen and NSAIDs is a natural agent called bromelain,[/b][/color][/i] which we've written about in previous issues of HSI. Bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapple, and it's been shown to reduce pain, inflammation, and swelling, AND help thin the blood as well.

Some people are allergic to bromelain, and ulcer patients should avoid using it. For most people, however, bromelain is free of side effects. A dose of 500 mg, taken three times each day, is typical for general pain management. But before starting a bromelain regimen, you should consult an doctor or healthcare professional who's knowledgeable about alternative medicine.

Food tip
In most cases, supplements are absorbed most effectively when taken with meals. But bromelain is the exception to that rule.

In an email to me, US HSI Panellist Dr. Richard Cohan wrote, "I believe that it is important that you draw the distinction between bromelain's activity as a digestive aid when consumed with a meal, and its effectiveness as a pain modulator when consumed before a meal or three hours thereafter (depending on how much fat was consumed and therefore how long digestive juices are present in the stomach). It apparently has no effect on pain when consumed with a meal."

So if you do use bromelain to control pain after a fracture, save it for between mealtimes and you may end up healing faster and more effectively than if you use an NSAID.

Bone Fractures

from alive.com

Symptoms

A fracture can occur in any bone in the body, including the vertebrae or the ribs, although it is most common in the extremities. Broken bones are called simple fractures when the skin is intact and compound fractures when the skin is broken. Compound fractures cause complications because open *wounds are more susceptible to infection and substantial blood loss.

A fracture is obvious if a cracking sound occurs with injury, or when the affected part is deformed and immobile. If swelling, *bruising and *pain are marked after an injury, or if the injured part is difficult to move, a fracture should be considered. Fractured bones near *joints are often mistaken for a bad *sprain. Fractured ribs are particularly painful on breathing and *coughing, but are no more painful than bruised ribs. If you are uncertain, an X-ray is often the only sure method of confirming a break. Immediate medical attention is recommended before the bone sets improperly. It usually takes between two weeks and six months to heal a fracture, depending on the age and health of the person afflicted and the severity of the injury.

Causes

A bone fracture is a break that results from an injury-often a fall or a traffic accident. Any bone disease will increase a predisposition for fractures, so much so that a mild injury causes multiple breaks. The older the individual, the more common this is, and it is often related to *osteoporosis. Minerals are essential for bone strength, while protein added to the diet will provide tissues with flexibility. If either element is lacking, bones will become too soft or too brittle to withstand injury. A poor diet will not provide the essential nutrients for bone structure. Nutrient absorption is often hindered by digestive problems. Contributing to osteoporosis are hormonal imbalances and inadequate physical activity

Nutrition

A diet rich in silica, particularly from raw oats, is essential for bone maintenance. Eat rolled oats as porridge or soak them overnight to make a Swiss muesli.

Include adequate quantities of calcium and phosphorus, which the body deposits among protein fibers to form new bone. Figs are an excellent healing food for broken bones. They contain phosphorus and calcium, and are also a good source of magnesium, which keeps calcium soluble and builds bones.

Fresh, raw, organic, green vegetables and whole grains should form the mainstay of the diet. They provide calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and silica, as well as enzymes for boosting metabolism. Eat some fresh fruit daily. Mangos, apricots, papayas and cantaloupe are excellent sources of vitamins A and C and potassium, all important for bone development and maintenance.

Fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel are good food for bones.Their oil is the best dietary source of vitamin D, needed for calcium absorption. They also contain magnesium, calcium and phosphorus. Eat nuts and seeds for boron, an important trace mineral for building strong bones.

Avoid red meats and sugar, which cause phosphorus-calcium imbalance. Vegetarians have denser, better-formed bones because their calcium comes from vegetables. Contrary to popular belief, milk alone does not build strong bones. It does not contain the magnesium needed to keep calcium soluble, so that its calcium tends to remain unused in the body, forming unwanted deposits.

Nutritional Supplements

Since the bones are composed of proteins and minerals, these are the most essential nutrients needed to heal a broken bone. Silica, calcium and magnesium are the most vital minerals. Silica is available in water-soluble vegetal silica capsules or in gel form, called silicea. Vitamins C and D promote the absorption of calcium. Vitamin C is also important for healthy bones. Green food supplements rich in chlorophyll are also recommended for their trace mineral supply.

Daily Dosages:

* Silica, 1,000 mg

* Calcium, 1,000-1,500 mg in divided doses

* Magnesium, 500-750 mg in divided doses

* Vitamin C, with bioflavonoids, 500 mg

* Vitamin D, 400 IU

* Chondroitin sulphate, 500 mg

* Glucosamine sulphate, 500 mg

* Boron, 10 mg

* Green food supplements, 1 tbsp.

Herbal Remedies

To reduce swelling, help absorb calcium and rebuild bones, herbal remedies provide effective results.

* Horsetail baths help reduce chronic swellings around broken bones. The silica in horsetail is a great rebuilder of bones, aiding the body to absorb and use of calcium. Add 5 drops of horsetail oil to bath water.

* Apply a comfrey tincture to the injured area, followed with herbal packs of sorrel or goldenrod.
  My favorite herb book!!

Nickole

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 03:41:15 PM »
Wow, thanks for all this.  My 7 year old son just flung himself off his swing today and landed right on a nice piece of hard dry earth on his shoulder and fractured his clavacle.  YIKES!  I have some comfrey - at least I can do that.  I definately want to help him heal faster - it's his right shoulder, and he writes with that hand but also he has to wear a harness thing to help his shoulder stay in place to heal.  For weeks.  So much for running, playing, climbing trees, playing in the treehouse, etc etc.  SO MUCH FOR BEING A BOY FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS!  :(  I hope this heals fast for him.   

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 02:39:39 AM »
Recently (Friday) my mom slipped in the mud and broke her ankle.  She went for 3 days without the dr seeing it (during which time I was trying to keep a comfrey poustice on it), nd the x ray shows it is a fracture and since it is not major does not need a cast, but to just stay off it.   Is there anything I can do for her other than the comfrey poustice?  Not to mention that it tends to be quite wet LOL.  I did comfrey a few drops of lavendar oil in hot water...by the time I got down the hill to mom the water was cool enough for her.  I would soak a rag in this trying to scoop up the leaves too ad wrap it around her ankle.  It did cut back on the swelling!  But she didn't like to keep it on too long cause it would get cold.
  As a way of intro, I am 29 and have 3 beautiful and spirited children...2 girls and one boy.  I do homeschool (this is my dfirst year LOL).  I have been studying natural health now for about 10 years but am only now starting to use it.  I really cannot tell youexactly when I was saved.  I grew up n a Christian home and for a long time trusted in a prayer that I had said when I was 6.  About 2 years ago though I realized that it was not my prayer that saved me, but rather Christ.  When I finally realized that I could never pray, repent, or be sincere enough...that I had to rest in what Jesus did, I surrendered it all to Jesus.  For the first time since I can remember I have peace about my savation.   My husband was just saved in March of this year.  He too grew up in a Christian home and said a prayer when he was 13, but had (as most Baptists would say) back slid.  The truth was he was never saved.  Since then he has changed so much attitude wise.  Please pray for us though as we still struggle with flesh a lot.  My husband still smokes and I have my struggles with being a mother and home maker.  ANYWAY!  Hi all.  I hope to learn a lot and enjoy fellowship with other Christian home makers. :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 04:18:19 AM »

Recently (Friday) my mom slipped in the mud and broke her ankle.  She went for 3 days without the dr seeing it (during which time I was trying to keep a comfrey poustice on it), nd the x ray shows it is a fracture and since it is not major does not need a cast, but to just stay off it.   Is there anything I can do for her other than the comfrey poustice?  Not to mention that it tends to be quite wet LOL.  I did comfrey a few drops of lavendar oil in hot water...by the time I got down the hill to mom the water was cool enough for her.  I would soak a rag in this trying to scoop up the leaves too ad wrap it around her ankle.  It did cut back on the swelling!  But she didn't like to keep it on too long cause it would get cold.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 02:24:14 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 05:59:32 AM »
Comfrey is THE thing for broken bones. Do not underestimate it, especially fresh. Also, make sure the bone is properly set before you begin to apply Comfrey... or you will get a healed bone that needs to be re-set... ie: re-broken!

--gabe

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 06:09:53 AM »
I second (or third?) the comfrey; also, there is a suppliment by Dr. Christopher called "Bone, Flesh, and Cartiledge Formula" that my MIL has used that has worked AMAZINGLY well on several severe breaks in several diff. families. Here is an article on it:
http://www.herballegacy.com/id508.htm
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Soņadora

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 06:17:32 AM »
I second (or third?) the comfrey; also, there is a suppliment by Dr. Christopher called "Bone, Flesh, and Cartiledge Formula" that my MIL has used that has worked AMAZINGLY well on several severe breaks in several diff. families. Here is an article on it:

We ended up using this same Dr. Christopher formula when my husband broke his ribs a while back, and they healed a lot faster than they had the previous time. :)
You have no idea who I think I am.

Nickole

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 08:41:18 AM »
Comfrey is THE thing for broken bones. Do not underestimate it, especially fresh. Also, make sure the bone is properly set before you begin to apply Comfrey... or you will get a healed bone that needs to be re-set... ie: re-broken!

--gabe

Gabe,

I have over a year old comfrey - will it still work?????
My son as mentioned above broke his collar bone IN HALF.  It has been two weeks and you can see the bone has not come together yet.  Doc said it would take a while and it would go back on its own since he is so young (7).  I did the poultice once.  I just wasn't sure how long.  Leave it on ALL day, fresh every day, or what?  Can you give me some recommendation?  I know HOW to do a poultice, but how often is the question.  I would appreciate your input.  Should I not do the poultice since it does not look like to me that the bones have moved back together?  After two weeks.  Is this normal? 
I am a little perplexed.
Thanks.

Nickole
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 01:27:32 PM by Nickole »

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 12:23:24 PM »
I searched for these two questions, but didn't find any answers.

My left foot was broken in a car accident in 2000.  I have 3 avulsion (may be spelled wrong- bone chips) in my foot and ankle.  Two are in the side of the foot up near the little toes and the other one is in the ankle (the end of one of the calf bones).  My main concern is the range of motion is not back to normal in the ankle.  Is there anyway that it can rebuild back to normal??  Also, recently I stubbed those two smaller toes and pulled them to the side.  It has been about 3-4 weeks now and it is still sore.  I'm not sure if I've broken them again or just strained ligaments.

On the other foot, my right heel has been bothering me.  When explaining the symptoms (hurt like a pulled muscle at first, now it tingles often like circulation is cut off, hurts often too) to a friend, she thinks I have a bone spur just like her.  She let hers go for a year before seeking medical advice and now nothing will work except surgury (which she never has time for).  Mine has been hurting since February.  When it first started hurting, it hurt for about 2 months solid.  Then we switched beds and it got better for a while, then had to switch again and now it bothers me off and on.

Anyway, in the last issue of NGJ, Rebekah mentioned she had a bone rebuilding cream that helped Lady's hips with her bone chips.  I was wondering if it would help both my feet?

Rebekah, if you are reading this, do you think it would help?  Could I get the recipie or buy the cream from you??

Anyone else have any ideas?  My foot is at the point that I feel something needs to be done or it will get too bad.  I've let it go on too long!

Thanks!
Dawn

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 04:31:10 PM »
Well I've broken 10 bones and spent 2 years in phys therapy to regain the use of the three bones I broke (all at once) in my left arm.  I'd say that fish oil and/or omega 369 capsules are helpful as is cod liver oil. 

About the toes, have you taped them?  When I had a  broken toe I taped the smaller one to the one next to it and kept doing that for about 4 months.  I then rebroke the same toe about 7 years later and did the same thing.  It healed.  It aches from time to time, and is a little crooked, but nothing major.

I'd definitely get the heel checked out; you don't want to have surgery.  First you could try some cayenne to purify the blood and maybe help circulation if you think it might be a circulation problem.  Also, sleeping with your feet slightly elevated or taking 81 mg of aspirin (IF YOU ARE ABLE) might help circulation, too.

Have you been to a therapist to help your range of motion in your heel?  You do not need to go to one regularly.  You can go for an initial visit and get the exercises on a sheet and do them yourself at home.  Our YMCA offers this for free to members, and for $15 for guests, so ask around.  Also, if you have a friend or family member who is a physical therapist you can ask them for exercises, or sometimes the bio students at community college transfer programs offer physicals and consultations for free or cheap so they can get experience. 

Also, you can find more exercises here:
http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/orthopedicsandpt/ss/anklerehab_4.htm

What kind of shoes are you wearing?  You could try wearing a cross-trainer tennis shoe with serious support.  Lace them good and firm, and make sure you wear padded, cushy cotton socks (or wool).  If you go to an REI store or similar backpacking store they are very knowledgable.  I know I can only wear 2 pairs of shoes in the world.  I have orthotics in my cross-trainers, and I have a pair of Chako sandals.  If you are wearing flip-flops, or heels, or any cheap shoe you could just have stress (or deep tissue bruising) and not a spur.

Let me know how it all pans out!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 04:26:18 PM »
Okay, I re-read the article.  It was not Rebekah, but Shoshanna that did the tending to her friends!  Sorry!  I guess since most of the article was first person and then just after the end of the article they were telling about Rebekah's site (here) I thought it was her that helped out the Lady and the Man in the article.

Also, I saw that Shoshanna did tell us what her recipe was.  It was comfrey(several large leaves) and aloe (one 4 inch piece).  At the end of the article Rebekah says this about comfrey: "...used to speed the healing of flesh wounds and bruises, and to reduce inflammation of sprains and broken bones."

So, I don' think it would help in my case.  I did finally find these that seem to help me in my 'diagnosis':
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1904.0.html
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2759.0.html

I think it is quite likely that I need new shoes.  Hmm, a new bed would be good too!  ;)

Sorry, I'd tried searching for 'bone spur' before I started this thread.  Should have tried 'bone spurs' since that is where I found the topics that helped! ::)

Blessings,
Dawn

Offline sixweechillens

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 02:22:14 PM »
A friend of mine fell off a roof he was buliding last night and fractured his hip. He is self- employed and has a stay-at-home wife and five children. He was sent home from the hospital with strong pain killers and told to "wait because there's nothing else we can do."  :'( He is in much pain and will be hopelessly behind in his work. What can we do for his fracture? It is not a complete break, just a hairline fracure... What about the comfrey-aloe poultice mentioned in the Sept-Oct NGJ issue, article "When the Rubber Missed the Road"? Does that help? Where can I get comfrey? He really needs help! Please respond!

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 02:30:16 PM »
I was jsut going to refer you to the NGJ article! I believe you can get comfrey from bulkherbstore.com. You could probably e-mail them any questions as well. I e-mailed them a question and they answered within a half hour. Hope this helps.
LKS

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 03:45:28 PM »

sixweechilluns- I would highly recomend the above BF&C Formula. My Master Herbalist friend swears by the stuff, and has used it successfully several times with family with amazing results.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline naewood

• Adept
    • Sunset Acres Rat Terriers
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 07:39:10 PM »
I have a serious question about using comfrey leaf as a bone knitter.  I have read that it has been used as such.  A dear friend of mine's husband broke his leg (compound fracture) in an explosion almost 2 years ago.  He has had many surgeries and done therapy and all the rest.  She just told me tonight that they will be going to another specialist next week and he is probably going to recommend another surgery to actually try and stimulate the healing process again, as he feels it has stopped.  This may include scraping the bone to stimulate re-growth and healing or taking bone from his hip and putting it in the slot that hasn't seemed to have healed together as they thought it would.  They are about to the end of any medical insurance and his employment will only hold his position through August of this year.  So if he opts for another surgery it will be with NO weight baring for at least 3 months after that.  He is on slight weight baring now, but in severe pain still.  The break is just above his ankle.  Would comfrey compresses help in this situation?  And her other question was, there will probably be a high risk of infection to the bone with surgery, so could compresses be applied lower than the break and still be effective?  At least until the skin healed enough to allow for compresses over the actual break?  This has been a sad ordeal for their family.  They own a farming business and the dh also works as a machinist.  But he has already been denied any disability and they don't qualify for assistance due to the farming equipment they own.  They are just trying to hold onto as much of their livelihood as possible, but it seems you can only get help if you have nothing.  Any suggestions or ideas would be a wonderful help.  RW

Offline hjm

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 08:38:40 PM »
The Bulk Herb Store sells a book titled Comfort for the Burned and Wounded by John W. Keim.  In it he lists his recommendations for healing mostly burns and some wounds.  I believe there is a case similar to what you are describing.  It would be a good book to get and read.  Mr. Keim has a few dietary recommendations as well as herbal remedies.
http://www.bulkherbstore.com/CBW

hjm

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 06:51:16 AM »
I have a serious question about using comfrey leaf as a bone knitter.  I have read that it has been used as such.  A dear friend of mine's husband broke his leg (compound fracture) in an explosion almost 2 years ago.  He has had many surgeries and done therapy and all the rest.  She just told me tonight that they will be going to another specialist next week and he is probably going to recommend another surgery to actually try and stimulate the healing process again, as he feels it has stopped.  This may include scraping the bone to stimulate re-growth and healing or taking bone from his hip and putting it in the slot that hasn't seemed to have healed together as they thought it would.  They are about to the end of any medical insurance and his employment will only hold his position through August of this year.  So if he opts for another surgery it will be with NO weight baring for at least 3 months after that.  He is on slight weight baring now, but in severe pain still.  The break is just above his ankle.  Would comfrey compresses help in this situation?  And her other question was, there will probably be a high risk of infection to the bone with surgery, so could compresses be applied lower than the break and still be effective?  At least until the skin healed enough to allow for compresses over the actual break?  This has been a sad ordeal for their family.  They own a farming business and the dh also works as a machinist.  But he has already been denied any disability and they don't qualify for assistance due to the farming equipment they own.  They are just trying to hold onto as much of their livelihood as possible, but it seems you can only get help if you have nothing.  Any suggestions or ideas would be a wonderful help.  RW

Could he wait to have surgery for a few weeks & try the comfrey instead? It seems to me that waiting a few more weeks to do surgery wouldn't change the outcome of the surgery but comfrey has so many stories of near miraculous healing for old injuries that wouldn't heal that it would be a good idea to give it a chance. I would use comfrey root & soak the foot & leg as long & as often as possible. He could use a canning kettle or something like that to soak in, he should have the coming WELL ABOVE the break because there is probably damage above as well. The joints, muscles, & ligaments are probably damaged as well because of lack of use & what little use they DO get he is standing & moving differently which puts unnatural strain on the leg. I once got a very bad sunburn on my lower legs that was so bad I couldn't bear to stand & I got 2 new trash cans the right size for my feet to fit in & tall enough to come to just below my knees & put the in comfrey in those to soak in, the plastic probably wasn't very good for me but it was the only thing I could find deep enough.

Dr. John Christopher has several good books that include stories of using his Bone, Flesh & Cartilage (BF&C) formula which contains: 6 parts oak bark, 3 parts marshmallow root, 3 parts mullein herb, 2 parts wormwood, 1 part lobelia, 1 part skullcap, 6 parts comfrey root, 3 parts walnut bark or leaves, & 3 parts gravel root to heal crushed & mangled bones.

His book Every Woman's Herbal says the following:

"One of the most outstanding examples of this formula's use came from a family whose father had really ridiculed Dr. Christopher. He was a businessman, but he liked to fuss with his automobiles. He had taken the motor out of a car, & hoisted it into the air. One of his daughters was playing down on the floor of the garage when something happened to the hoist & it came loose, dropping the car engine on this little girl, mashing her pelvic area & hips. The doctors told her father that the injury was too severe to do anything about. This man had heard about the BF&C formula, & he used it as a formentation over the entire area where it had been mashed. The particles went jelly-like over a week or two & then started to form. They formed the bones & the pelvic area came back identical to what it was before. As in a jigsaw puzzle, each piece went back into place. This girl went on to live a normal life."

Dr. Christopher started The School of Natural Healing which is now ran by his son, David. The phone # is: 1-800-372-8255. If you call them, they should be able to give you more info.

Get the book 10 essential herbs by Lalitha Thomas for more info about comfrey. This is one of my favorite herb books & a good beginners book- a good $15 investment in health.

If it were me I would use the BF&C formula as a soak as often & as long as possible although I think I would add more comfrey to it if. If I couldn't get the BF&C formula I would use comfrey root alone to soak as often & long as possible. I would also take the same mixture internally. It is not recommended to take comfrey internally but I have done so before w/out problems so I would be inclined to do it again. However, I am NOT recomending that anyone else take it internally, each person would need to study the issue & decide for themselves. I would definitely try this before undergoing more surgery, but again, that is just me & he will have to decide for himself.  If he has the surgery he should be able to use the comfrey above & below the wound. If it is applied to the wound itself, he might be surprised at how quickly it heals because comfrey speeds cell regeneration. If he applies it to the wound, he MUST make sure there is no infection in it, comfrey can speed healing so much that it seals in infection.  

The School of Natural Healing should be able to tell you where to get the BF&C formula in bulk form. Frontier Herbs will probably have the best price on powdered comfrey root in 1 lb bags. You can buy directly from them.

Below is a post that I made on another thread that I have slightly modified for this thread that explains a lot about comfrey, some of it's uses & how to use it. I hope this helps.

Comfrey works by speeding up cell regeneration so it very likely will help. It has a long history of healing even old injuries esp.broken bones. Comfrey herb is the green, top portion of the plant. The root is stronger than the herb & comes in little rock-like chunks or powdered. The powder is the easiest to use. Mix w/warm water-it will clump horribly at first but if you work it w/your fingers it will dissolve. To get the glop that sticks to your fingers off scrub w/net- a bag from onions works well. (The kind that's made from the same kind of net that bath scrubbers are made from, not the softer kind that looks like it's crocheted) If you can only get the herb make a STRONG tea out of it & don't strain it- it will be stronger if you leave the pieces in. The root chunks need to be simmered for 1/2 an hour or longer to soften them up. Comfrey is gooey & slimy- this is normal & the goo is the healing part. Soak as often & as long as you can. Adding pureed onion to it will help w/ swelling & treats bruises. My mom once fell outside on concrete steps. She was swollen & bruised to the hip & we're sure that her foot was broke. The first few days she didn't due anything to it because she thought it would get better on it's own. It didn't get better, if anything her foot was worse. I soaked comfrey herb in boiling water, added pureed onion, packed it around her foot & leg to the hip, wrapped everything in plastic, & left it for the night. It was messy but effective. By the next morning, the bruising was drastically reduced. We continued to soak her foot in comfrey herb a few x's a day for a couple of weeks & it healed beautifully. She did have a little bit of pain when she would wear one certain pair of heels for several hours-while dancing no less! (She's not a Christian & she was trying to get started managing bands at that time) That lasted for 6 months to a year & after that even that pair of shoes didn't bother it. It's been about 12 years & she hasn't had any problems with it since. Historically comfrey has been used internally for healing & my mom took it daily for over a year in a lung formula (her lungs had been horribly scarred in a house fire & she could barely breath) about 15 years ago with no apparent ill effects but it's not recommended for internal use. It is said that it can cause liver damage so you will have to research it & decide for yourself. Comfrey is a wonderful, healing herb & one that we always keep on hand. Using it the same way as above but chilling it before use (or adding ice to it) heals burns. Let us know how it goes. HTH~herbalmom

Edited to add 12/20/10 I can't believe that I forgot to add this before. (I posted it on another thread but forgot to add it to this thread)

Also, Dr. Christoper's original Bone, Flesh & Cartilage (B,F & C) formula is supposed to do wonders when taken in large quantities. Someone recently told me that her DD broke her arm & she had the girl take a handful of the pills each time it hurt. She ended up taking a bottle a day for a few days & then tapered down as the pain lessened. The arm was totally healed in 2 1/2 weeks:o The original B,F & C does contain comfrey so you will have to decide for yourself whether to take it or not.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:25:34 AM by herbalmom »

YoopreMama

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
I just have a simple testimony of our use of comfrey...

DS broke the bottom of his leg bone (right by his ankle) when he was 1 1/2. A splint did not stay in place and after a week of him crawling, I decided to apply comfrey.  W/i in 12 hours, he was standing, 24 hours, walking, and the next day, he was running! It was incredible.  I was so thankful for the poultices! 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:24:56 PM by Yooper »

Offline jbbabyslings

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 07:43:50 AM »
Sorry I have been gone for a few months but its been crazy but ALL of our kids have been injured or seriously ill with one this or another. It'd take all day to explain everything in detail but you can read more at my blog at www.xanga.com/themacdonaldclan Anyway with my 11 year old she broke the head to her leg bone at the hip joint (show goat pulled her over) which supplement would be good for her to take to reheal quickly and prevent future injuries of this type. She seems to break bones easy. I have asked the doc to review her MRIs to see if she has a bone weakness. She drinks LOTS of milk and eats lots of cheese so its not a calcium dificiency. I was thinking Bone Ami but does anyone have any suggestions?

Also my son Samuel has just had two bone scans (the think he has cancer). The first one he wouldn't cooperate with them so they weren't able to complete the scan so they redid it a few days later and had him sedated. My question is. I am owrried about him getting two doses of radiation dye they use. Can someone tell me what I can do to help him heal and is he still radioactive in some way?

Marie
WWW.JellyBeansBabySlings.com Handmade with Care

Now selling Supermom Vitamins & other Beeyoutiful Products. FREE SHIPPING

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 08:16:21 AM »
She seems to break bones easy. I have asked the doc to review her MRIs to see if she has a bone weakness. She drinks LOTS of milk and eats lots of cheese so its not a calcium dificiency. I was thinking Bone Ami but does anyone have any suggestions?

A person can ingest sufficient calcium and still be deficient.  The fact that her bones break easily would be indicative of a deficiency.  The problem probably lies in her inability to absorb the calcium efficiently due to a deficiency of some other type.  The most usual deficiencies in this case are magnesium (contained in Bon Ami), vitamins A and D (contained in Cod Liver Oil) and vitamin E. 

Read back through this thread for more information.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 08:17:52 AM »
Sorry I have been gone for a few months but its been crazy but ALL of our kids have been injured or seriously ill with one this or another. It'd take all day to explain everything in detail but you can read more at my blog at www.xanga.com/themacdonaldclan Anyway with my 11 year old she broke the head to her leg bone at the hip joint (show goat pulled her over) which supplement would be good for her to take to reheal quickly and prevent future injuries of this type. She seems to break bones easy. I have asked the doc to review her MRIs to see if she has a bone weakness. She drinks LOTS of milk and eats lots of cheese so its not a calcium dificiency. I was thinking Bone Ami but does anyone have any suggestions?

Also my son Samuel has just had two bone scans (the think he has cancer). The first one he wouldn't cooperate with them so they weren't able to complete the scan so they redid it a few days later and had him sedated. My question is. I am owrried about him getting two doses of radiation dye they use. Can someone tell me what I can do to help him heal and is he still radioactive in some way?

Marie

For your DD check this thread:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3502.0.html

For your DS Kelp tablets would be good if he is not allergic to iodine. All types of seaweed help remove radiation from the body. Kelp comes in tablets & you can get a powder form of it for cooking with. Some brands taste better than others, if you don't like the first one you try, try another. We used ParKelp brand when we first started getting it, now we use whatever they sell in the bulk food section at my HFS. Kombu is seaweed that comes in long flat pieces, you can use it when cooking beans, broth, soup, etc (start with a small amount) & my kids eat it dry & straight. Seaweeds are VERY high in vitamins & minerals so they are good for everybody in the family. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 08:35:51 AM »
First, bless you all.  I know this has been very taxing on your family and my heart goes out to you.

It sounds like you need to use bone-strengthening herbs and minerals.  You might google osteopenia or osteoporosis.  Bone Ami is a good formula, but you might want to add to it.  Of course, weight-bearing exercise is essential as well for building bone strength.  Natural sunlight (15 minutes a day at noon on as much exposed skin as possible - not just hands and face), or Carlson's CLO during the winter months will provide vitamin D.

Boneset is used for healing bone injuries.  Also, Dr. Christopher's Bone, Flesh and Cartilage ointment and the oral supplement would be very helpful.  Those are manufactured by Nature's Way.  (I see lots of moms have found out how good BFC works!)

Of course, sugar and the acid in soda are two of the worst things for bone health, so avoid those while concentrating on whole foods.  Undetected celiac disease can be the cause of weak bones, so you might want to try a gluten-free diet as well.  Dark leafy greens are the best foods for bones, as well as bone broths.  Dairy that is not being digested will not provide useable calcium.  Either raw or fermented dairy is most preferable.  There are voumes written about all that on a couple of other threads, so you might read up on that, keeping in mind that if your daughter cannot digest dairy, then it is harmful to her, not helpful.  Digestive enzymes can go a long way to helping the body assimilate the available nutrition.

To combat the effects of radiation you need to detox: any green foods like chlorella or spirulina, plus miso, vitamin C, and a very powerful probiotic called Del-Immune.  There are a couple of different makers.  You want the cell-wall derivative of the lactobacillus rhamnosis strain, not the usual strain found in many refrigerated probiotics. It is shelf-stable.  Google it and you should find it for about $20 per month.  This product was developed to address the radiation sickness resulting from the Chernobyl disaster.  It really does enhance immune function very quickly.

Look at http://www.nzhealth.net.nz/products/del-immunev.shtml  for more info.  There is quite a bit of information out there.  I first read about it in Second Opinion Newsletter.

I want to encourage you to investigate your gut instinct.  If something feels amiss, then it probably is.  That is part of God's plan for us to protect and provide for our children, and God is good.

Offline Janacat

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 06:35:42 AM »
I went to the link for Dr. Christopher. How do you get the products? I didn't notice a "store" to purchase, or do you make it yourself? I have a 3 year old sesamoid (ball of foot) fracture that may be re-injured. I am breast feeding, though. I am in this walking cast again, which isn't good for my knee that has been diagnosed with arthritis. I start physical therapy this week for the knee. But , with this cast I am wondering if the phys ther will do anything. I wonder why they don't do crutches anymore? I still have some pressure since I am walking on it. I do have a 4 month old so it would not be ideal with crutches. Just trying to understand their thinking on the "walking casts". Last time I wore the "boot" for 4 mos. Any other quick healing tips. I do need to lose 25 lbs which would greatly help the knees and the foot, but it is hard to exercise when you do have the foot injury. I was planning on starting a walking regime this month, but now it is delayed. Prayers would help if you think of me! 8). Thanks!

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 09:28:17 PM »
My beautiful husband fell 20 feet when his ladder slipped . His tail bone hurts and he has some deep cuts and scrapes. I made him drink some comfry  tea. I just made coconut oil with comfy in it . I am going to put it on in the morning. Any one have any suggestions for healing. He is 62. I thank the Lord for His protection, I am SO grateful to God for husband.  I would appreciate so much for any input.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 09:45:01 PM »
My beautiful husband fell 20 feet when his ladder slipped . His tail bone hurts and he has some deep cuts and scrapes. I made him drink some comfry  tea. I just made coconut oil with comfy in it . I am going to put it on in the morning. Any one have any suggestions for healing. He is 62. I thank the Lord for His protection, I am SO grateful to God for husband.  I would appreciate so much for any input.

Thank you, Lord for your protection.

This thread has good info that will help:

Major Car Accident! Need herbal advise please!

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 03:25:43 AM »
thank you so very much.   I will go to that website now.  I also read Shoshanna,s  when the rubber missed the road.

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 04:02:52 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering what can be done for a broken bone once a cast is on?
My 7yos broke his wrist and now has a cast on it.  Before the cast I soaked his arm in comfrey and cold water to reduce the swelling--it worked great!  How can I apply/use the herb now that his cast is on?
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Rebecca

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 04:59:45 PM »
I am bumping this thread because my mom will be wearing a cast for a while (see prayer request thread) and I still want to help her with the healing and pain relief if I can. What can you do if there's a cast?
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 06:50:21 AM »
I posted on a different thread about my gm who has been diagnosed with osteoporosis and has constant pain in her back and chest.  Well...she finally got some answers from the dr that explain the pain (and give her hope for a normal life in the future! :) ).  Apparently she has an acute compression fracture in one of her vertebrae.  (I think someone on here had actually suggested something like that when we were still thinking the pain was caused by pleurisy!)  Anyway, when the fracture heals she will, of course, no longer suffer from the pain that she's been having.

So, needless to say, I would love to help her help it heal!!  I plan to get some horsetail oil for her to use in her baths (as mentioned by hb earlier); maybe this will help with the fracture as well as the overall osteoporosis.  I am also ordering BoneAmi to replace the calcium supplements she is currently taking.

Now for my question...(finally ::) ):

I definitely want to use comfrey, as you guys have made me a BELIEVER in the stuff!  But does anyone have any suggestions of how I could use it on her back?  I can't come up with a way to keep a compress on the back for hours (especially since it's so messy)...unless at night?  All thoughts welcome, including any other ideas for a quick recovery.  Thanks!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 04:30:57 PM by PreachersWife »