Author Topic: non-homogonized milk for you all in GA, SC & NC  (Read 5853 times)

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
non-homogonized milk for you all in GA, SC & NC
« on: November 11, 2006, 05:08:03 PM »
I just wanted to let you guys know about a new great find for good non-homogenized milk.  I live in Augusta, GA and I drove to Greenville, SC today to a diary farm.  It is called Happy Cow Creamery and they sell their fresh non-homogenized milk.  It has been pasteurized but at a very low temp and for a very short time.  They have fresh butter as well and every kind of cheese you can think of.  They also have some good fresh ground meat.  There is no where that I know of to get raw milk and the stores around here do not sell non-homogenized so this was a great find for me.  I know some of you have a hard time getting good milk as well so I wanted to let you know about it.  It was a two hour drive for me but it was worth it, I just stocked up and brough a lot home.  They will pack your cooler with ice and everything for you. Their cows are fed only grass, they switch around to different fields and are always free roaming and are never given any kind of antibiotic or growth hormone.  I felt like it was a good price too, it was 3.75 a gallon.
hope it helps for someone!   :)

Offline K.Sarah

• Adept
Re: non-homogonized milk for you all in GA, SC & NC
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 05:10:11 PM »
Thank you!  I feel like it's impossible to find any sort of natural milk around here (NC), and I had given up looking.
Happily married to my kind of guy, mama to 4 great  kiddos here and one little beauty with our Father.

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 05:16:16 PM »
no problem, I had been looking too.
I know it will be too far for some to drive but if you live near the border of NC or GA it should not be too bad! 
They have a website too.
I think its
www.happycowcreamery.com/index.htm

Offline BlessedWith4

• ~Blessings~
  • Adept
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 05:20:20 PM »

Did you guys check RealMilk.com for people in your area that have fresh milk? That's how we found our new farmer friends just down the road from us - and the milk we get from them is GREAT! :D

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 05:47:14 PM »
I have heard of Happy Cow in Greenville, but I get mine from Buttermilk Jerseys from a farm in Saluda, about an hour from me, maybe not quite. I'm in the capital of SC.  :)
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 09:58:38 AM »
Happy Cow is AWESOME.  We toured it with a homeschool group a week ago.  They have a field growing something different for each month so that the cows are always eating something freshly growing. They distribute the milk to area health food store too, so if you can't get to the farm south of Greenville, you can get it in the stores.

The cheese is actually from farms in Wisconsin.  But they are equally excellent!  They purchase them and slap a Happy Cow label on it.  They said they did not want to seperate the cream from the milk to make it themselves.  They wanted to keep the cream in the milk for us to drink! 

There is ANOTHER farmer just north of Greenville.  Whites Jersey Dairy sells RAW milk.  His info is on the Rawmilk website mentioned above.  Or his website is: http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M14993
We buy our milk from him now.  Not the same size farm as Happy Cow, but it is not pasturized.  Talk about FANTASTIC milk!!  I can't believe the difference between store pasturized/homonginized milk and raw milk.  There is no comparisson!

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 10:15:44 AM »
As I mentioned before in this thread we have been able to now find non homogenized milk...but lightly pasterized...in our area...about 5.00 1/2 gallon which is pricey but so good...I have been checking on raw milk..and was looking at organic pastures site...interrupting myself to say...we have been eating the raw milk cheese from organic valley that I found at the co-op..oh my gosh..no comparison to store bought cheese! everyone loves it...and it is pricey too...but oh so worth it...anyway...i was checking on the site of op and was SHOCKED that their cream is 34.00 for 1/2 gallon!! Is that a normal range? I just thought the cream came on top of the milk and you could scrap it off and use that ....am I wrong here? I can never imagine paying that much..I would like to try some raw milk though but the prices are just so expensive for frozen milk...Beth in Idaho

Offline momof4

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 10:32:53 AM »
Wow, that is good to know, thanks.  We live in NC and go to Atlanta every few months to visit my sister. We go down 25, through Greenvilleto hit I-85. Next time we will have to stop in there and take a look around :)

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 10:38:27 AM »
yes, do that, I think you will be happy you did.  we definitely were!
It is literally right off 25, you can see the big sign! 
they are the sweetest christian people and seem to really believe in providing good healthy milk and will not compromise!

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 11:11:36 AM »
Wow, that is good to know, thanks.  We live in NC and go to Atlanta every few months to visit my sister. We go down 25, through Greenvilleto hit I-85. Next time we will have to stop in there and take a look around :)

Whites Jersey Dairy isn't far off of 25 either.  Take 414 to 253 and you are basically there!

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 11:12:56 AM »
it was 3.75 a gallon.

I've always paid $4.75 per gallon.  You definately got a deal that day!

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 11:42:58 AM »
Everywhere I have asked about raw milk tells me that it is illegal to sell it without pasteurization.  ??? Anyone know where to get non-homogenized milk in lower Alabama or in the Florida panhandle?

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 11:45:59 AM »
It is definately illegal "for human consumption" in FL.  My SIL lives in the Orlando area and pays $8.00 per gallon.  All bottles have a label by law that states "Not for human consumption".

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 12:07:26 PM »
I use Happy Cow's butter. It is sold in 2 pound rolls, wrapped in waxed paper. It is DELICIOUS to say the least. Also, I purchase raw milk from our local health food store. The health department has a LONG process through which farmers can go through to be liscensed to sell raw milk legally. We are blessed to benefit from those precious dairymen who are willing to do so.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 12:56:25 PM »
Everywhere I have asked about raw milk tells me that it is illegal to sell it without pasteurization.  ??? Anyone know where to get non-homogenized milk in lower Alabama or in the Florida panhandle?

If it is pasteurized then it is NOT Raw milk.  Then it is pasteurized non homoginized milk....and as some others have already mentioned, it is illegal to sell raw milk in Florida except for pet consumption.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 03:02:25 PM »

If it is pasteurized then it is NOT Raw milk.  Then it is pasteurized non homoginized milk....and as some others have already mentioned, it is illegal to sell raw milk in Florida except for pet consumption.

I know pasteurized milk is not raw.  ::) What I meant to say was that I am looking for raw milk but everywhere I ask about it tells me that it is illegal to sell it raw. It must be pasteurized. (I am not very articulate! Sorry! No one knows what I'm talking about half the time! Many times I have had to try to say things in a different way so people would understand me.)

Is every state different? Does anyone know if it is LEGAL to sell in ALABAMA? I really need to find a local farmer who is willing to just sell it to me. (for my dog ;))

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 03:07:58 PM »
I am sorry, I didn't mean to make you out as looking silly....I just wasn't sure....My apologies :(
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 03:11:07 PM »
No problem!  ;) No offense taken ;D

Offline Elle

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 08:22:48 AM »
Do you know if the milk is also certified organic? I am preparing to move back to NC after 20 years in CO, where I can buy organic, non-homogenized milk at a local store. It is frustrating not to be able to find it close by in NC.