Author Topic: GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]  (Read 89279 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]
« on: September 24, 2006, 02:45:14 PM »
I was making up a batch of Goot today (with dried plantain mixed in) and pondering the couple of reports I've seen of a Goot application burning very irritated skin.  :-\ So far, everyone seems to think it may be the severity of the irritation that is causing the discomfort, but I have one other guess.

The recipe calles for 3 tablespoons of MINCED garlic cloves. For me, this takes anywhere from 6 to 7 plump cloves. While I was chopping the cloves, it occurred to me that some of you may be using a kitchen gadget called a garlic press instead of mincing the cloves. If this is the case, it will take quite a few more cloves of garlic to get 3 tablespoons worth of garlic as it compresses the material.

That would explain the burning sensation that someone might feel during the application of this batch of Goot as the ratio of garlic to oil is much greater than in the actual recipe.

If you haven't been doing so, mincing the garlic by hand is your best bet. In addition you'll reap all sorts of benefits by taking the time to mince your own cloves as the garlic will penetrate the skin of your hands and give your own bloodstream a healthful dose. Thought I'd pass this along.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline dara

• Master
Re: GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 02:54:25 PM »
What's Goot?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 03:03:06 PM »
Sorry, Goot is a garlic oil ointment that uses 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 3 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic. For more information on how it is made and it's uses, click here. It is antibiotic, antifungal and antimicrobial. In addition, it can penetrate the skin and enter the bloodstream by topical application and is safe to use on sensitive areas.

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 03:15:08 PM »
I have just started trying goot and LOVE it!  I had three kids come down with sore throats all in a row and it wiped it out in two days for two kids and one day for the other.  I did the goot on the feet a.m. p.m. and also rubbed in on the outside of their throats a few times also.  I did also give immune booster, vit C and odorless garlic capsules (only two could take those).  But I must say that I believe it was the goot that did the trick as I have done the other things and have never been able to get rid of it that quickly.  The only draw back is that our house smelled like an Italian resteraunt for several days making me hungry for garlic bread!

I also found a use for the "left over" at the end of the two weeks when you are supposed to make more.  My dd was making eggplant Parmesan and she stuck the rest of the goot in with the olive oil to saute the eggplant in.  (thankfully I wiped my fingers before sticking them back in the jar after rubbing on feet! :P/).  Anyway, I don't know if we reaped any health benefits, but it sure tasted good!! 

Oh, I also stirred in some GSE into the goot when I made it.

Thanks SC for turning me on to the smelly stuff, won't be without it!! :D!

I also rubbed it on my dd legs as she had literally tore up her legs from scratching at poison ivy.  Some of the open wounds were looking like they were getting infected and it cleared it up nicely.  She didn't complain of it burning, but I also mince my garlic. (actually I cheat and use a PC chopper).  It did leave grease stains on the sheets, but it was better than an infection!!

I highly reccomend the goot and it is so easy and pretty cheap!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 03:30:31 PM »
Thanks SC!  i love it too!!   ;D 

i believe i smashed mine in a press, and have no complaints of burning.  have tried it on myself just a bit, but mostly used it on the dog so far.  will chop it next time though.  i didn't strain it out, cuz it was much to thick to strain. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 03:43:07 PM by fivewittletids »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 03:38:32 PM »
I've had some burning and I mince the garlic...... :-\

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 04:42:34 PM »
I've had some burning and I mince the garlic...... :-\

LOL! Stumped again! >:( ;)

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 06:04:23 PM »
Gee, I came to read this thread because I thought it said "GOAT mystery solved". How disappointing. I wanted to hear all about your goat. Oh well. Maybe I'll look into this "goot" stuff too.  ;D

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 02:07:46 AM »
Gee, I came to read this thread because I thought it said "GOAT mystery solved". How disappointing. I wanted to hear all about your goat. Oh well. Maybe I'll look into this "goot" stuff too.  ;D

;D ;D ;D
Dh doesn't like it when I refer to him as such! :-X ;)

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 07:12:14 AM »
Okay. I was just in the kitchen chopping up more garlic for some beans, and a mayonnaise/salad dressing. It occurred to me that I never asked if those of you who got reports of burning with a topical application of goot used organic garlic cloves or not?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 04:25:21 AM by SC »

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 07:34:34 AM »
I did not.

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 07:59:59 AM »
:-\
I would suspect that this could be the cause. It would also explain why children seem more sensitive to this reaction than adults. Children don't need as much of a chemical, herb, or whatever to get a reaction. My guess is that there were pesticides, chemicals, and/or synthetic fertilizers used in the soil the cloves were grown in.

At least, that's my guess until someone pops up and says they used organic cloves and had the same reaction  ::).

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 08:57:18 AM »
Sorry to blow your new theory SC, but I don't use organic garlic either and I have had no burning problems.  I didn't even strain the garlic like the directions said...even rubbed it on open sores on my dd legs and she didn't have any burning.  Out of anyone, she would be the most sensitive as she skin issues all the time.

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 09:35:17 AM »
Queentea, your example doesn't COMPLETELY blow my theory, although it does give me pause.

Just because something isn't organic, doesn't mean that it is necessarily full of pesticides and/or chemicals. Non-organic just means that there is no way to certify that the product hasn't been exposed to these things. So, it is possible that you benefited from a nice batch of non-organic garlic -- which is a good thing. I'm trying to figure out (with the help of all of you) what the variable is in those couple of instances where we got reports of a batch of goot which burned.

It also just occurred to me that if mama applied the goot right after having made the batch. There is another possibility. If the person who made the goot didn't wash hands before applying the ointment to an irritated part of the skin, straight garlic oil (from when it was minced) would have still been on her fingers and been transfered to the irritated skin. THAT would hurt.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 10:30:04 AM »
The GOOT is great, SC! Thanks for the link!

I wonder if some of us are just more sensitive to garlic? Like some people have more trouble eating spicy food. I eat lots of raw garlic and even chew it up raw sometimes when I'm sick. It's never bothered me before. My kids have never been burned from a poultice and the GOOT doesn't even make the skin pink or anything. I like spicy food and can eat it when I'm pregnant or nursing. My kids are even getting used to spicy food.  8)

I will say, though, that my garlic is not the freshest garlic ever. I bought a big 3 pound bag from Costco and after I finished that up I bought a bunch more bulbs from WalMart. I don't want to run out!

I mentioned this on another thread - but the garlic you strain out of the GOOT is easy to turn into pesto if you put it back in the blender with some fresh herbs!

Offline wardermom

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 05:37:56 AM »
Would goot be good for scrapes? My kids are pretty active, and my oldest son is covered in scrapes from bike and skateboard accidents on a continual basis right now!
I often just pour peroxide on the scrapes, sometimes put antibiotic ointment on, and sometimes just diluted vinegar with or without some lavender and/or tto.
I've done the garlic in the socks before for them when sick, but goot sounds like it would go on easier and be more comfortably than chunky cut up garlic! My kids have had burns because of it though on their feet. How much of a problem is that?

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 06:21:44 AM »
I used goot on open wounds on my dd legs (she dug up the poison ivy she had).  She didn't complain about any burning, but others have reported burning on raw flesh.  You could try a small area and see what he says (if he is stoic enough to try).  It cleared up my daughters legs nicely though she smelled like an Italian resteraunt!  I love the goot!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 08:04:39 AM »
I do wonder if some people might just be more senitive than others. This is true in our family as far as taking garlic internally at least.

I've just had garlic (not organic) that was stronger than some. The last batch that I bought was sooo strong. I only took about 1/4 of a clove and ad a tummy ache for a half hour. Usually I'm not that sensitive.

I also read on here somewhere that pesticides are not used on even non-organic garlic. Supposedly the smell keeps the bugs away. Anyone know if thats true? O do remember my mom planting garlic around other plants to keep the pests away.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 09:08:32 AM »
As far as I know, garlic will kill bacteria and fungus and viruses but doesn't undo poison ivy or insect bites. I think it helps a little with healing, by increasing blood flow. If you really want something to undo poison ivy or draw the poison ivy out of bites, try plantain, comfrey, or jewelweed. I read in the book Practical Herbalism that if you see poison ivy, look around you and within eyesight you should see one of those plants. You can chew them up and spit them on the wound in an emergency, or make a salve out of one of them.

This is a simple salve with plantain in it and it works wonders. We had friends over who were "nonbelievers" in herbs and their daughter went outside and got a bunch of mosquito bites, whcich she is allergic to. They asked if I had benedryl, which I didn't, so we put the salve on her, and they were gone by the time they went home! It's a good place to start and you can alter it however you need. If you don't want to use Vaseline and you can't find beeswax, you might try Bag Balm, which is in the pet section at WalMart and is made of lanolin.

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/sharing-remedies/simple-green-plantain-salve

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 09:37:01 AM »
As far as I know, garlic will kill bacteria and fungus and viruses but doesn't undo poison ivy or insect bites.

I would have agreed with juliaofsunnyside before I had used goot. I agree with her promotion of plantain as an astringent and pain reliever. I use it myself in my first aid kit.

However, keep a batch of goot on hand for insect bites. I have seen that stuff stop fire ant bites and leave the victim without any hint of itching or swelling, no marks or whelps. It's a good first line of defense until you can apply something additional to it, and it will keep the area from getting infected. This is something you can only appreciate after using. I haven't tried it on poison ivy, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if I hadn't a batch of something else handy. I've seen it halt itching too many times to discard its use easily.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 08:05:40 AM »
Okay, SC, I'm going to try it! We have a lot of mosquitos in the back yard now so I'm going to go out there and get a mosquito bite and put some goot on it  :).

Yesterday I hit the side of my eye socket, that delicate-seeming bone, on the corner of an open cupboard while I was putting a dish in the dishwasher. I put some GOOT on it to see if I could stop it from bruising. I'll let you know if it worked. I also put some plantain on it, but I wasn't sure if it would penetrate the skin deeply enough.

Offline Pink Lady

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 04:16:12 PM »
I did a search but nothing with the recipe came up. What is in it and what is it used for?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Amanda

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 04:25:44 PM »
Try here:

http://www.nacd.org/more_information/health/goot.html

GOOT contains Coconut oil, Olive oil & Garlic.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline naturalmom

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »
really curious, what is GOOT?
"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."  by Ronald Reagan
In God I Trust
My Intro

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 06:23:57 PM »
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2006, 04:29:05 AM »
Okay, SC, I'm going to try it! We have a lot of mosquitos in the back yard now so I'm going to go out there and get a mosquito bite and put some goot on it  :).

Yesterday I hit the side of my eye socket, that delicate-seeming bone, on the corner of an open cupboard while I was putting a dish in the dishwasher. I put some GOOT on it to see if I could stop it from bruising. I'll let you know if it worked. I also put some plantain on it, but I wasn't sure if it would penetrate the skin deeply enough.

juliaofsynnyside, let me know how it goes with the eye thing. I've never heard of it in an application for bruising -- only for skin irritations and yeast. It wouldn't be my first choice for the bruises, but let us know how it goes.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2006, 08:32:45 AM »
Well, I had some plantain salve, but I wasn't sure that it would really get under my skin down to where the bruise was. I've used it on my kids before, and it seems to work, but since this seemed like it was going to be a really bad bruise and on my eye, I thought I'd try more than one thing. So I put some on and then put the GOOT on. I thought that the GOOT would go down to where the bruising was, and the garlic would get the blood flowing through the area. It never did bruise badly. It was a little bit swollen and I noticed about a week later that there was an old-looking light yellow bruise there, but it was never a dark bruise. So I guess I can say it seemed to work, but it may have also been the plantain ointment, and it may not have bruised that badly anyway, so really I'd have to experiment a little more to know for sure!

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2006, 09:17:05 AM »
Well, let's just call it a success. I'd hate to think about what a test trial would be like (leave all the cabinets open and have a race through the kitchen  :P)! Glad you're better. :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2006, 10:45:58 AM »
Well, let's just call it a success. I'd hate to think about what a test trial would be like (leave all the cabinets open and have a race through the kitchen  :P)! Glad you're better. :)
:o
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 02:50:30 AM »
my GOOT doesn't seem to be working.  i have applied it a couple times a day on 3 kids with snotty noses.  (pretty much coveredt them with it) now one is coughing too.  they are still congested. 

is it possible that if it got too hot when i warmed the oil, it would kill the important properties in the garlic? 

i think it's time to start feeding them raw garlic!   ;) ;D :o
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."