Author Topic: Baked beans, always come out crunchy????  (Read 12914 times)

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
Baked beans, always come out crunchy????
« on: October 28, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »
I have tried and tried and recently tried again to make good baked beans.  They never ever get soft, like the ones you buy.  It doesn't matter how long I soak or cook them.  I just tried the recipe from Nurishing Traditions, and the same thing.  The only thing I can think fo is that I usually, but not always  cook them in a cast iron pot.  Any ideas?????  HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Offline Clementine

• Adept
Re: Baked beans, always come out crunchy????
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 06:00:27 PM »
Hmm... Do you soak them?  I usually soak mine overnight, and cook them all day. 
"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Offline mxmom

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 06:02:39 PM »
I actually found this funny - sorry.  I have tried three times to make pinto beans and every time they are hard.  The last time I was so frustrated I tried to insist we eat them anyways and then my husband started laughing at me.  I have soaked them every time, but, my dh thinks I need to cook them for a much longer time than I did the last time.  I am determined to make this work one day!!!  >:( ;D ;D

Oh, I just read Clementine's post - you cook them all day?? Like how many hours would that be?  Maybe my two and a half hour cooking time is the problem - that would be too easy to fix!! 

Offline Clementine

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »
With pinto beans, I put them on in the morning, maybe 10:00.  I just let them cook until suppertime, about 5 pm.  My husband likes beans to be really cooked.  I usually do them in the crock pot, but also use the stove top, for about the same length of time.  If using the crockpot, I don't always soak them first.   For baked beans, I will cook the beans until they are nearly done, then mix them with the molasses (or whatever recipe you use) and then bake them for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.   :)
"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Offline mxmom

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 06:19:43 PM »
Thank you.  I am going to try again this week.  I love pinto beans - yum yum!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 06:20:53 PM »
a few little things about beans that i had to learn the hard way:

1.  old beans will not ever get cooked.  buy from a source that has high rotation or sales.
2.  never add any tomato products til the end of cooking time or SALT, these two things will make your beans stay crunchy.  

HTH, i would have liked to know these things before i started cooking beans!   ::)  
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 06:23:12 PM »
You can add some vinegar while cooking to help them soften quicker.  You will not taste the vinegar at the end of the cooking.  I have a friend who had trouble cooking the beans and we could only figure that it was the water hardness.  I cook my beans in my crockpot.  make sure you cook them on high. 

Offline mxmom

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 06:23:42 PM »
Okay, I may have bought old beans.  We lived in a small town of meat and potato lovers, so, I don't know if the turnover of dried beans was all that great.  And, yes, I am embarrassed to admit that twice I added the tomato sauce at the beginning.  Ooohhh, I just know it will work this time.  ;)  Thanks for all the info.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 09:31:31 AM »
Thank you ladies, very enlightening!  My beans are  probably older, since I buy in bulk, I have never tried vinegar, but, my final question is, why not put in the tomatoe products till the end?  Most recipes I have seen, including the Nurshing Trad. say to put it in with everything else.  I do soak them, for a long time, and cook them for a long time (sometimes up to 10 hours!)

My dear husband says he likes them crunchy.   Then he admits he likes me, and so he eats the crunchy beans  ;D

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 10:43:41 AM »
Okay, if beans turn out crunchy, here are my check points.

Did I soak them for a full 24 hours? With whey in the water? Or lemon juice?
If not, increase the soaking time and add the whey/lemon juice (2 Tbsp, at least)

Did you drain the soak water off of the beans and rinse? If not, try that next time, adding fresh water to cook.

Did you bring the water and beans to a boil before adding the other ingredients and placing the cast iron pot in the oven? If not, adjust your method here.

4 cups of beans should take about 6 hours to cook in a 350 degree oven. When you check them, if they are still crunchy, make sure there is enough water and increase the baking time. Also, check the beans once or twice during the baking to add liquid if necessary. Otherwise, you could end up with soft BURNT beans -- much worse than crunchy. :P
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 04:12:45 PM »
I have done everything SC suggests, but have one question.  How much water should be in them during the baking?  I put in enough to cover at the beginning, but towards the end should there be less?  I have tried so many different times over the years, it gets very discouraging! :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 04:24:45 PM »
Towards the end, I just try to have enough to keep the beans from sticking. Maybe just up to the edge of the top of the beans? That way, the sauce isn't too thin.

Offline CKSMOM

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 04:58:34 PM »
I also have heard not to cook beans in tomato products because it makes them crunchy. 

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 04:32:50 AM »
My dear husband says he likes them crunchy.   Then he admits he likes me, and so he eats the crunchy beans  ;D

Mine said the same thing about lumpy mashed potatoes early in our marriage, so I always purposely made them lumpy from that point on.  One day, I just couldn't take one more bite of lumpy potatoes and made them nice and creamy.  I apologized to him, and he said 'Oh creamy, just the way I like them!'   ::)  Live and learn...lol! 

Now, about baked beans.  My family really, really likes Bush's Baked Beans.  I have tried several 'organic' varieties..and none of them taste like Bush's.  Anyone of a recipe for homemade baked beans that will taste like Bush's Original?

Thanks!
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 05:02:50 AM »
Haven't tried it myself, but found this recipe:
Better Than Bush's Baked Beans

Let us know how it turns out.

Offline happy2B-rickswife

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 06:04:08 AM »
I agree with a lot of the ladies. Soaking longer( 3-4 hours) pre cooking time.
My mom use to use cast iron and the beans were perfect everytime. She also cooked on one of those big cast iron , wood burning ovens and never burned a thing! I wish I could say that for my cooking record! :P..... after soaking, rinse, fill pot w/ water- 2 inches above beans... simmer several hours, checking water level. peel 1 small potato, drop in pan.. do NOT eat the potato--- the potato absorbs part of the  "gas". I think that beans are 50% protine and 50% starch -- gas reaction.  At any rate the potato ( also starch) will help your little tummy and give your beans a nice gravy like texture , when they are done.   
for "baked Bar- B- Q beans--- add seasons 30 min. before cooking time is over.. onions( pre- saute) sauce, tomatoes, bell peppers..etc... If your beans are still crunchy they are either over cooked or not enough water or BOTH.TRY AGAIN !  Try using a crock pot-- keep your eye on water level. Try reading the bag! Instruction are helpful.. :D
Happy to be Ricky's wife for 18 faithful years--Praise God !!
Like my "place" :, mom, teacher,nurse,wife,janitor,detective,encourager,cook,grounds keeper and spiritual example :)
mom to ;Justin age17 1st. HS grad.( LOOKING FOR WIFE)
Devin-15yr. Terrell-14yr.
Jenna-13yr. Julia-12yr. & Treavor-10

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 06:42:47 AM »

Thanks, SC...my goodness but that takes a lot of time!  ;D  I'll let you know when we try them out!
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 08:40:47 AM »

Thanks, SC...my goodness but that takes a lot of time!  ;D  I'll let you know when we try them out!

I do baked beans in the biggest pan I can lay my hands on so I have extras to freeze......  Makes for a quick-ish side dish.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 06:33:29 PM »
soak them in baking soda overnight, that is what my mom always said, And Never cook them with meat or meat broth in my opinion, meat has a hardening effect on hard raw beans,(dried) when they are cooked then you can season them or add meat or  stock!hope that helps

Offline pocolento

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 06:47:37 PM »
Here's the deal...
If you have heated your beans to boiling and you add anything that lowers the temperature of the water... it STOPS the cooking process of the beans. They will not soften no matter how much longer you cook them. In the crock pot your beans should have at least 1 to 2 inches of water covering and should be done in 4 to 6 hours... closer to 6 if you don't pre-soak.
I botched a bean soup once (hard beans) and the old lady I was living with mentioned this tidbit and in the 10 years since I have never had a hard batch of beans. I just make sure to add boiling water if needed.
Hope this is useful!

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 12:14:38 PM »
I soaked my last batch of beans for a couple of days knowing that I would need them and then cooked them for 7 hours and they were great.  No one had any digestive or flatulant problems with the long soaking time.  I had picked up some canned beans for a fast meal a week before and we were all misserable!! :-[
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 01:18:19 PM »
When I tried to soak beens for longer than recommended, they got slimy. Yuck!
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline happy2B-rickswife

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 01:16:04 PM »
I read that if you have "hard"water you need to buy water for your beans..it may help.
Happy to be Ricky's wife for 18 faithful years--Praise God !!
Like my "place" :, mom, teacher,nurse,wife,janitor,detective,encourager,cook,grounds keeper and spiritual example :)
mom to ;Justin age17 1st. HS grad.( LOOKING FOR WIFE)
Devin-15yr. Terrell-14yr.
Jenna-13yr. Julia-12yr. & Treavor-10

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 12:11:38 PM »

They are yummy!I didn't do it just like it said... soaked them, then cooked them in the crockpot on low all night long, adding water once when it looked low. But the flavor was great. :)  We took them to an Easter dinner and then ate leftovers until today's lunch. (I made it with a pound of pinto and a pound of great northerns.)

Corrie
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 04:55:22 PM »
I made a soup the other day in the crock pot with the beans and they were so perfect! I surprised myself. The soup tasted so yummy too. I soaked them overnight and cooked the soup in the crock pot all day long. I think the key is soaking in water and cooking in lots of water for a long time. The crock pot works great!
I will share the recipie if anyone is interested! Once I find it again... ;D

Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 03:28:14 PM »
I'd like the recipe!!  Thanks!

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »
Yay!~ I found it! I am going to make it for tomorrow=) Here is the link
Oh, I was going to say too, Kim, I got Mark to try it and he actually liked it! Of course, I will say this, I put the full amount of ingredients and halved the beans, so this time I will double some of the ingredients to give it that extra yummy flavor. I think the balsamic vinegar helps alot!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotsoup/r/bl74c8.htm
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 04:23:42 PM by southmom2k »
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids