Author Topic: Healthy Pregnancy/Labor/Baby: Supplements, Diet, Exercise, etc.  (Read 37623 times)

Offline SamsGirl

• Proverbs 3:5&6
  • Adept
Re: Healthy Pregnancy/Labor/Baby: Supplements, Diet, Exercise, etc.
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2007, 08:33:27 AM »
I guess the solution to that can vary. How long are you staying there? If it is just for a  1/2 a day. Would it help if they vaccumed the furniture and carpet and put the cat in a bedroom for the day?

There are herbs recomened for allergies. I think fenegreek and thyme. Perhaps that day you could make a gallon of fenegreek/thyme/chamomile tea and drink it all day?? I think but am not certain, that these herbs are safe for pregnancy.

One thing I read recently is that histamine released by the immune system is what causes the symptoms. When you body releases this histamine in response to something like cat, etc. (things that most people should be able to be around normally without problems) it means your immune system is not functioning right. For the future, you may want to look into boosting your immune system.

Thanks so much for all the replies!  I did find a homepathic remedy that seems okay for pregnancy and is formulated specifically for animal hair and dander by BioAllers.  It's a little too pricey for us right now but I'll keep searching.  In the past, when someone has an animal and cleans very well before I come and keeps the pet in a room it seems that I still react -

Am so thankful you found something that might work and natural!  My Dad who is highly allergic to cats always reacted worse after someone vacuumed/cleaned - he attributed it to the dander being stirred up and in the air more.
my earthly walk focuses on following Jesus, wife to Samuel, momma to Adela Grace and one more on the way

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #181 on: December 21, 2007, 12:56:17 PM »
I guess the solution to that can vary. How long are you staying there? If it is just for a  1/2 a day. Would it help if they vaccumed the furniture and carpet and put the cat in a bedroom for the day?

There are herbs recomened for allergies. I think fenegreek and thyme. Perhaps that day you could make a gallon of fenegreek/thyme/chamomile tea and drink it all day?? I think but am not certain, that these herbs are safe for pregnancy.

One thing I read recently is that histamine released by the immune system is what causes the symptoms. When you body releases this histamine in response to something like cat, etc. (things that most people should be able to be around normally without problems) it means your immune system is not functioning right. For the future, you may want to look into boosting your immune system.

Thanks so much for all the replies!  I did find a homepathic remedy that seems okay for pregnancy and is formulated specifically for animal hair and dander by BioAllers.  It's a little too pricey for us right now but I'll keep searching.  In the past, when someone has an animal and cleans very well before I come and keeps the pet in a room it seems that I still react -

Am so thankful you found something that might work and natural!  My Dad who is highly allergic to cats always reacted worse after someone vacuumed/cleaned - he attributed it to the dander being stirred up and in the air more.

MY MIL has been selling Rainbow vaccum  cleaners for nearly 20 years. The high selling point is that is Does NOT allow the stuff you vacuum go back into the air. It traps it in a basin of water.  She has been telling me for years how vacuum cleaners make allergies worse-- so I gave you some bad advice about asking them to vaccum--- sorry!!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:28:06 PM by jessicah »
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline called2Bhelp

• mommy of 2 beautiful children, wife to the most wonderful man I know.
  • Learning
« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2007, 04:29:45 AM »
Hi everyone,
just had a thought, could everyone who would, post you're favorite ways of staying in shape while you are pregg? There are a lot of first time moms out there who could use some help in this area. I know that you should not overdue it while pregg, but that it is very important to stay active as much as you can.
Peace.
Molli.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
  • "It starts when you sink in his arms and ends with
« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2007, 04:45:13 AM »
With my first pregnancy I used the gazelle for at least 15 minutes a day, I tried to get it in trice if I could.  I never pushed it and always paid attention to how my body was feeling.  My husband and I also took nightly walks around our block, especially towards the end of the pregnancy.  I didn't feel any bh and the only contractions I did feel were when I was in labor, but they only lasted from start to finish about 4 hours.

With my second pregnancy I had a 7 month old in the beginning, so it was a lot harder to stick with something.  I did do the gazelle again, but not as frequently.  I also did the walking.  I felt a few bh, but they weren't that bad.  My labor was pretty quick lasting about 4 hours again. 

If I was to get pregnant again I would probably focus on the walking, lots and lots of walking.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline westernskys

• Adept
    • Stories from the X-Bar Ranch
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2007, 06:51:57 AM »
With my first pregnancy I used the gazelle for at least 15 minutes a day, I tried to get it in trice if I could. 
So...I have this mental pic of a preggo lady crawling onto a gazelle(deer) :o...I know its pry something very common, but I guess I'm just dumb--pleae enlighten me!  ;D  I want to hear some more excersize methods, too. It's soooo cold and windy (WY) that I hate to get outside in the winter! :-\
Home is where your husband is.

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2007, 07:27:02 AM »
I use a treadmill, I walk for 25 to30 min a day and try to go quickly  ;D I try to do it every day but don't worry about it if I just don't get it done. It has been helping a LOT with my varicose veins. I didn't do it for about 4 days over the Christmas weekend and my leg started hurting again so back at it yesterday.  I am also hoping this will help after baby too. I tend to gain weight while nursing.   
I would use a rebounder (mini trampoline) if I had one or saw one cheap. Also if you don't want to walk outside and don't have a treadmill  Leslie sansone (might not have her name right) has a bunch of "walk away the pounds" videos. I did those with my last pregnancy and I got the dvd at walmart for $10 I think. They are pretty mild and you don't need a lot of room to do them.
I also have one of those big exercise balls (the kind you sit on) I use it just to sit on at the endish of pregnancy cause it relieves all that low pressure you get on your hips and feels good on my joints. There are many exercises you can do on those though and just sitting on it requires using your core muscles to balance. I sit on it while at the computer.  :P With my last pregnancy I borrowed one for the last couple months but this time I bought one. (walmart again and it was around $10)
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline SamsGirl

• Proverbs 3:5&6
  • Adept
« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2007, 07:49:54 AM »
I use a treadmill, I walk for 25 to30 min a day and try to go quickly  ;D I try to do it every day but don't worry about it if I just don't get it done. It has been helping a LOT with my varicose veins. I didn't do it for about 4 days over the Christmas weekend and my leg started hurting again so back at it yesterday.  I am also hoping this will help after baby too. I tend to gain weight while nursing.   
I would use a rebounder (mini trampoline) if I had one or saw one cheap. Also if you don't want to walk outside and don't have a treadmill  Leslie sansone (might not have her name right) has a bunch of "walk away the pounds" videos. I did those with my last pregnancy and I got the dvd at walmart for $10 I think. They are pretty mild and you don't need a lot of room to do them.
I also have one of those big exercise balls (the kind you sit on) I use it just to sit on at the endish of pregnancy cause it relieves all that low pressure you get on your hips and feels good on my joints. There are many exercises you can do on those though and just sitting on it requires using your core muscles to balance. I sit on it while at the computer.  :P With my last pregnancy I borrowed one for the last couple months but this time I bought one. (walmart again and it was around $10)

thanks for all the great ideas - I love walking and miss it with the winter weather here and ice - but we do have a treadmill.  I have looked at those balls and wondered how one balances on them at any point, let alone in pregnancy; I am such a klutz - I just can't see me staying on it!   :o
my earthly walk focuses on following Jesus, wife to Samuel, momma to Adela Grace and one more on the way

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #187 on: December 27, 2007, 09:04:29 AM »
Our family gym has ladies only water aerobics.  I love it.  I have slowed down a little lately, but the first 6-7 months, I was trying to go twice a week.  It is fun, and if you have trouble sleeping during pregnancy, this is the ticket.
I am 33 weeks and have only gained a little under 10 lbs.  I have always gained a WHOLE lot with my babies. 
Sometimes, when I feel pulling in my groin, I just march or skip whatever exercise we are currently doing.  Just treading water is great for you.
I walked for most of this pregnancy, but have tapered off through the holidays.  I have to get started again this next week.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #188 on: December 27, 2007, 09:25:36 AM »
Our family gym has ladies only water aerobics.  I love it. 

ROFL!
Water Aerobics is great for pregnant women!

I used to teach Water Aerobics. I man never stepped foot in any of my classes.

Oh wait, there was a senior citizens class with a lot of men.
Anyways, its pretty easy to make a class "women only". heheheh
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

cecac

« Reply #189 on: December 27, 2007, 09:28:10 AM »
I'd appreciate prayer in this department.  Dh bought us a nordic trak and it's in our bedroom ready for my use to get back in shape.  I got cedar fever and there is no way that I can begin to use it until I'm over it.  ****sigh*****

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #190 on: December 27, 2007, 09:49:18 AM »
I would also suggest the treadmill. With my 1st two pregnancies, I gained 30-35 pounds. I didn't do any sort of exercise. With my 3rd pregnancy, I gained 12 pounds LESS, had the BIGGEST baby (out of my 3) and the FASTEST EASIEST delivery.... I believe that the one thing that made a difference is the fact that I walked on my treadmill since I was like 5 months pregnant & I did it for like an hour a day 5 days a week. It also did a WONDERFUL thing for my back pain.... if I ever get preggo again, I'm DEFINITLY walking!!! (If I have anything to say about it  ;) )
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
  • "It starts when you sink in his arms and ends with
« Reply #191 on: December 27, 2007, 11:09:12 AM »
With my first pregnancy I used the gazelle for at least 15 minutes a day, I tried to get it in trice if I could. 
So...I have this mental pic of a preggo lady crawling onto a gazelle(deer) :o...I know its pry something very common, but I guess I'm just dumb--pleae enlighten me!  ;D  I want to hear some more excersize methods, too. It's soooo cold and windy (WY) that I hate to get outside in the winter! :-\

I knew I should have clarified what it was, but forgot.  I blame mommy brain.  The gazelle is a skiing exercise machine, that is very low impact. 
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline called2Bhelp

• mommy of 2 beautiful children, wife to the most wonderful man I know.
  • Learning
« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2007, 05:37:57 AM »
With my first preg, I walked alot the first 6 months, and also did squats, leg lifts, and used 5 pound hand weights, to help strengthen my arms and shoulders.
With this preg, I walk when I can weather permitting, (we don't have a treadmill.) I also have a balance ball, but I don't use it very often.
I recently got a pilates band workout dvd, that came with this band that is basically a huge rubber band. I really like the gentle workout that it gives. It mostly focuses on stretching, which is really important while preg.
If anyone is interested in the pilates band workout I can give you the web address.
Peace
Molli.

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #193 on: December 28, 2007, 02:01:01 PM »
We have one of those nice express wagons with the big wheels (a gift from my parents). For the first 6 months of my pregnancy I got lots of excercise taking my 4, 3, & 1 year olds for walks to get milk and just bumping down the country roads. It is a lot harder for me now that it is too cold to take them out for long walks (our weather has been pretty dreary and rainy and mucky) I am trying to go for walks myself when I get a chance.  I know that I am not doing what you are all are doing (I don't have a treadmill and we don't do the gym) but I have found if I can just go for 15 mins. 3 or so times a week it does me wonders!  The only reason I posted this is just to encourage those with little children who don't have all kinds of nifty excercise equipment around.  I figure a little is better than nothing.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2007, 02:45:55 PM »
I seem to only get motivation to exercise about once or twice a week - only if I get up early enough.  I usually don't make it through the entire DVD either but I figure anything is better than nothing and I always feel tons better when I'm done even if I don't do all the reps, etc.  I have been using Lisa Hart's preggo yoga workout.  I am NOT usually a yoga person - but I really like the low-impact, lots of breathing, and lots of stretching it gives.  Also, it isn't terribly new-agey so I can stomach it.  It has a dance section too that was so much fun if you can get past the perkiness of the instructor 8)

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »

We live on a  dead end street. I would often walk up and down the street 2-3 times while some of the kids stayed in the house and some came with me (or sometimes all of them came) It wasnt ideal, but it worked. Pretty boring scenery over and over. So I used this time to quiz my littles on stuff they were learning. They enjoyed it. They usually walked or rode there bikes,skated, etc.

I jut go an elyptical for 50.00 at a yard sale. I LOVE it. and I plan on keeping it for a long time- and using it during pregnancies. I have had several treadmill s over the years but the elyptical is way funner, smoother and just feels great  For those of you who dont know what it is: It is a very low impact machine. It gives you a range of motion kinda like hiking/climbing/jogging/running. I cant really figure it out. But it is great. And so easy!

I also used "walking videos by leslie sansone. Those are nice for when you cant get out side to walk.

I also have a pilates video I did in early pregnancy. It isnt specifically for pregnancy- that is why I only did it at the begining. But there are some for pregnancy.  I like how I feel after doing it- it just takes 10 minutes or so. Gives me lots of energy I felt stronger when I did it routinely (3 days a week)

Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2007, 05:26:04 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes ...

I was wondering about gall bladder issues during pregnancy.  Seems to me women have gall bladder attacks very often when they are pregnant.  My mother and sister both have had theirs out already - they are both fairly young.
This topic has been split and moved here.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,14341.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2007, 08:15:35 AM »
Just thought I'd report in and say I began juicing & drinking two cups of organic veggies every day and it seems to have restored some stamina.  I tend to not-so-slowly lose my stamina after the first trimester.  I am hopeful if I stay off sugar and continue with more protein/two veggie juices/one kefir drink every day, that maybe I can eeek out 10-20 minutes of exercise 5 or so days a week and not completely fall apart.

My veggie mix:  cabbage, parsley, beet, celery, (cucumber today), spinach, and carrot.

So, that is one supplement that I highly recommend, although I do not think that I could have juiced in the first trimester. :-X

Cara

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2008, 06:09:17 AM »
I could use some WTM pre-labor advice here! :D I've got 6 weeks to go with this pregnancy, and I'm very much feeling like I can't wait to get this over and be home with baby. Pregnancy is going great, and I'm feeling good, I just want to get the birth over with.

With my last baby (first one, too) I had a labor that lasted 22 hours from the time my water broke and the ctx started, to birth.  It completely wiped me out, and was very hard for the last 8 hours. I am not looking to repeat that experience!!  :o

This time I having been drinking red raspberry leaf tea off and on, (going to start taking consistently now) am planning to take a cal/mag supplement till birth, and am thinking of taking 5W. 

Does anyone have any other recommendations for me to make this a better, easier birth?  I am kind of counting on the fact that this is the second time around, and will be a little quicker.  I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.

YoopreMama

« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2008, 06:41:26 AM »
Jemima-
This 2-page thread, Herbal Timeline for PG, has a good discussion on it, if you haven't already seen it...some specific guidelines for the third trimester, I think, on page, 2.  HTH.  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 01:30:07 PM by Yooper »

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #200 on: February 06, 2008, 06:49:30 AM »
One thing I've taken with my last several pregnancies is "Gentle Birth Formula" from www.mountainmeadowherbs.com. I think its helped me to be more relaxed as the pain doesn't seem so intense.

Have you read this thread?
magnesium = reduced pain in childbirth???

Also I'm a big believer in position and aligning your pelvis during labor. See my (boy # 8 ) story here.

Hope this helps!

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #201 on: February 06, 2008, 12:20:50 PM »
Jemima-
This 2-page thread, Herbal Safety/Timeline for PG, has a good discussion on it, if you haven't already seen it...some specific guidelines for the third trimester, I think, on page, 2.  HTH.  :)

I have read some on this thread, but I'll have to go check it out more thoroughly again... Thanks!

And I'm going to read your story, lotsaboys - I've never heard of aligning your pelvis.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2008, 12:43:39 PM »
I could use some WTM pre-labor advice here! :D I've got 6 weeks to go with this pregnancy, and I'm very much feeling like I can't wait to get this over and be home with baby. Pregnancy is going great, and I'm feeling good, I just want to get the birth over with.

With my last baby (first one, too) I had a labor that lasted 22 hours from the time my water broke and the ctx started, to birth.  It completely wiped me out, and was very hard for the last 8 hours. I am not looking to repeat that experience!!  :o

This time I having been drinking red raspberry leaf tea off and on, (going to start taking consistently now) am planning to take a cal/mag supplement till birth, and am thinking of taking 5W. 

Does anyone have any other recommendations for me to make this a better, easier birth?  I am kind of counting on the fact that this is the second time around, and will be a little quicker.  I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.

Maybe this will encourage you. My first, who was 2 weeks late, was 21.5 hrs long, with 2.5 hrs of pushing. I was exhausted! I hardly drank my red rasp tea. My second, who was one day late, was 3.5 hrs long with 5-10 mins pushing. I drank red rasp religiously from about 4 or 5 months, I think. My midwife also had me take in the last six weeks, with both pregnancies, Dr. Christopher's pre-natal blend. I had tons of contractions from 34 weeks on, maybe ever 32 weeks. Don't remember. I loved those contractions! The birth was so fast that my midwives were able to deliver on their lunch hour and go back to finish clinic. I was ready for visitors and had plenty of energy. Something that my midwife really addressed with me, and I think was a big part in how different both births went, was my attitude. I was so scared with my first one and she says that I held onto that baby. My second, I was so ready. I was sayin', "bring it on!" Instead of being so afraid of your labor, try to welcome it.
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

cecac

« Reply #203 on: April 01, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »
I want to comment on something that I believe is making a difference in this pregnancy.

I began having high blood pressure readings at the OB at about 26 weeks.  When I would lie down for 5 minutes, they would return to normal.  I had two readings like this, the other one being at 29 weeks.

These two readings put me in a slightly higher risk group, and also, I have been having a high heart rate and many symptoms of out of breath, grabbing counters, etc.

I have learned to go slower and also sit when I know I'm getting out of breath.  I've monitored my blood pressure for the past three weeks.  About 1.5 weeks ago I began juicing 1 beet, 4 celery, and about 4 carrots, drinking this twice per day.  I believe now that some parsley is added, and I have worked up to a pint total.  Beet juice was particularly recommended from two different sources for hypertension.    I feel I have noticed a more downward trend in my blood pressure, doing this.  I have gotten some readings at around 115/65 many times in the past week or so, and I wasn't able to have this, even resting more than I am now, before this juice was added to my diet.

I am also taking 1-2 valerian before bed, not every night but some nights.  I also take calcium lactate at dinner, and then magnesium and potassium with the valerian later, before bed.  My heart is generally not as thumpy any longer.

It's not that I can be much more physical, although I have noticed I can do more as long as I keep it real slow, and at my resting rate it is getting much better.

Oh, and I passed my blood pressure reading this time, 135/85.  That was actually high for me for the past two weeks, but definitely better than what I was doing.  So the trend is getting definitely better.

The only thing I've shared here that I extend caution is valerian.  I have gotten advice from a midwife for that.  IMO, it needs to be investigated on a personal basis

Cara
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 03:48:29 PM by cecac »

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #204 on: June 11, 2008, 07:01:45 AM »
I was wondering if it is at all appropriate to have the goal in mind of loosing a little weight at the beggining of this pregnancy.  I meant to get this last 15 lbs off before I got pregnant again, I really did but it just didn't happen.   :(  Now I'm very nervous because I always gain 35ish lbs by the end and that just won't be pretty.  I suppose an alternate goal would be to keep my weight gain 15 lbs lower this time.  I am a bit distressed.  I am not thinking of dieting of course but more of excersizing vigorously, which I was doing before I got pregnant anyways, and also cutting out sugar and wheat, which would be good for me anyhow.  I have been eating plenty of good fats, raw milk, cheese, fruit and veggies. 
Any suggestions or should I just dismiss the thought of weight loss now.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #205 on: June 11, 2008, 07:04:25 AM »
I think as long as you do no more than you did pre pregnancy and cut out sugars you should be fine. Just watch your body signs.

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #206 on: June 11, 2008, 07:19:57 AM »
Losing weight is generally not a good idea in pregnancy.  It would be better to try to control the rate at which you gain.  Since you are already exercising, that's a great way to keep things under control, if you're able to keep up with it.  What happens with many of us (especially me!) is that the moment you get pregnant, your energy levels drop, your appetite goes through the roof, and your hormones make you a little nuts.  

Just try to not be TOO vigorous with the exercise.  And take time to warm up, stretch, etc.  Your body is producing the hormone relaxin, which loosens up your joints, so you are at greater risk of hurting yourself.  

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2008, 07:23:46 AM »
Losing weight is generally not a good idea in pregnancy.  It would be better to try to control the rate at which you gain.  Since you are already exercising, that's a great way to keep things under control, if you're able to keep up with it.  What happens with many of us (especially me!) is that the moment you get pregnant, your energy levels drop, your appetite goes through the roof, and your hormones make you a little nuts.  

Just try to not be TOO vigorous with the exercise.  And take time to warm up, stretch, etc.  Your body is producing the hormone relaxin, which loosens up your joints, so you are at greater risk of hurting yourself.  

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too.  I actually feel really good.  I've been taking Milk Thistle and Superfood for my gall bladder before I got pregnant and my energy level has been great so far and really minimal morning sickness.  That is why I have had the energy to keep excersizing, so far.  My appetite has been very managable too.  I think this is the best I've felt early in a pregnancy.  Hopefully everything is all right.

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #208 on: July 18, 2008, 07:14:49 AM »
I was wondering what the 1st trimester ladies are eating in the morning?

I went through the thread, and saw protein a definite menu item.  Some days I cannot do eggs, we have eaten so many eggs, I think I need a break.

Oatmeal has not been good, I get about 1/3 way through the bowl, and am done... :P

I was reading "Body for Life" once, and saw that eating yogurt mixed with cottage cheese is considered a complete protein.  So that is the only thing that is saving me right now.  Vanilla yogurt, mixed w/high fat cottage cheese, and then add 1-2 T coconut oil, I eat it with 2 slices sprouted grain Ezekiel bread with butter.

My body has been craving raw veggies, but I am trying to find organic, and they are pretty expensive.

Are any of you following a specific eating plan? 
TIA!

Rebecca

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #209 on: July 18, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
Hi Rebecca,

I found a recipe for oat scones, that uses flaked oats and you can add in anything else you want (nuts, cranberries, blueberries, chocolate chips :)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Scottish-Oat-Scones/Detail.aspx

I loved these when I was preggo and early nursing, as they would stick with me.  Plus, I could grab one on the go in the busy part of the afternoon when I'm always starving but too busy to stop.

Smoothies can also be a good source of protien and a yummy breakfast.  Strawberry, banana, coconut (oil), yogurt, ice, etc...all blended up.

Also, tortillas are a very versatile option for all kind of roll ups or melts.  We do peanut butter and honey roll ups, cheese 'pizza' melts (spag. sauce, cheese, and spices), breakfast burritos, etc.  And don't forget about the Elvis roll up...peanut butter and banana ;)

As far as veggies go, you could check the freezer section.  Our local grocery store has bagged organic frozen veggies for a good price.  Also, google dirty dozen organic vegetables.  There are some veggies that are really important to get organic, and others that are not as critical.  Frozen green peas are one that are on the 'good' list.   I always enjoy cold salads, like black bean, corn and rice (with a balsamic/lime dressing).  These make a great fast lunch, or you can use them as a side dish or as a salsa with chips.  If you throw a grain into the mix with the beans, you also have a complete protien.

HTH! 

-Gwen
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 06:06:13 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.