Author Topic: Healthy Pregnancy/Labor/Baby: Supplements, Diet, Exercise, etc.  (Read 38617 times)

Offline SarahK

• Master
Re: Healthy Pregnancy/Labor/Baby: Supplements, Diet, Exercise, etc.
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2007, 08:44:32 AM »
I just want to encourage the pregnant community here to keep exercise in mind.  Even when you are busy.

Since I got a positive pregnancy test, we have spent 40 days in the hospital, had a cancer diagnosis and 2 hospitalizations in the extended family, visitors, gardening, illness, and a jillion other things going.  Actually, this could possibly be the busiest our family has been in a while.  I have done only a tiny fraction of what I want to do in the way of exercise.

But I'm still exercising.  I have decided that when I can, I will.  When it's not convenient - I will seriously, honestly try to make it work anyway.  When it's not possible, I won't and will look for the next time I can.  Any one time I exercise is one more time to my advantage.

Big deal if I didn't get "20+ min of cardiovascular exercise plus stretching 3-4 times a week"!  Each time I do is better than nothing.  And I am on the look out for other ways to keep moving any chance I get.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2007, 10:21:18 AM »
 Does anyone know if it's o.k. to take both cod liver oil and evening primrose oil at the same time when pregnant?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2007, 12:26:07 PM »
Does anyone know if it's o.k. to take both cod liver oil and evening primrose oil at the same time when pregnant?

I took CLO daily throughout my pregnancy and lots of EPO the last several weeks. It was my healthiest, easiest pg/birth/baby yet. :)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »
 just watch me slurp and swallow.  :)

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2007, 01:24:56 PM »

Interesting mental picture there.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »

Interesting mental picture there.

Right... specially when it's followed by "burp and belch" & "gag and heave".   

Blech.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline KKLUVSTV

• Learning
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »
Pregnancy Supplements???

I am currently reading The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy by Shonda Parker and trying to follow her recommendations for daily nutrient needs of pregnancy. I am taking Supermom    2 x a day, but according to Shonda's  list, I am lacking the following (if I calcuated correctly ??? )

Calcium – Recommends 1200mg - SM 100 mg ea = need 1000 mg
  Phosphorus - Recommends 1200mg - SM 0 ea = need 1200 mg
  Magnesium- Recommends 500-1000 mg - SM 50 mg ea = need 900 mg 
  Folic Acid- Recommends 400-2000mg - SM 400mg ea= need 1200 mg

Also wondering - I read that Bee Immune in combination with Vitamin C helps alot during sickness. How much Bee Immune would you take while pregnant. Shonda Parker recommends no more than 3000mg Vit C a day during 1st trimester. (then 1000mg every 2 hours after 1st trimester).

Looking for -- Quercitin Bromelain – 200-500 mg 30 min prior to meal 3 x day -- for excess mucous, sinusitis, or Bronchitis; Astragalus--2-6 capsules daily 1-2 months duration for immunity and Zinc Lozenges-  23 mg every 2 hours only for 1 week at a time for sore throat/colds.

Having a hard time locating products with the same mg amount that I need and not sure what is a good company to purchase from. I would rather purchase online. I lost my voice last week and have been battling a cough with congestion for a week now, so trying to find natural alternatives. I hope to print out this thread and read all suggestions, so sorry if my questions have already been answered and I've missed them as I skimmed through. Thanks!!!!  KK  (KKLUVSTV - TV my husbands initials)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2007, 12:05:06 PM »
Pregnancy Supplements???

I am currently reading The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy by Shonda Parker and trying to follow her recommendations for daily nutrient needs of pregnancy. I am taking Supermom    2 x a day, but according to Shonda's  list, I am lacking the following (if I calcuated correctly ??? )

Calcium – Recommends 1200mg - SM 100 mg ea = need 1000 mg
  Phosphorus - Recommends 1200mg - SM 0 ea = need 1200 mg
  Magnesium- Recommends 500-1000 mg - SM 50 mg ea = need 900 mg 
  Folic Acid- Recommends 400-2000mg - SM 400mg ea= need 1200 mg

Also wondering - I read that Bee Immune in combination with Vitamin C helps alot during sickness. How much Bee Immune would you take while pregnant. Shonda Parker recommends no more than 3000mg Vit C a day during 1st trimester. (then 1000mg every 2 hours after 1st trimester).

Looking for -- Quercitin Bromelain – 200-500 mg 30 min prior to meal 3 x day -- for excess mucous, sinusitis, or Bronchitis; Astragalus--2-6 capsules daily 1-2 months duration for immunity and Zinc Lozenges-  23 mg every 2 hours only for 1 week at a time for sore throat/colds.

Having a hard time locating products with the same mg amount that I need and not sure what is a good company to purchase from. I would rather purchase online. I lost my voice last week and have been battling a cough with congestion for a week now, so trying to find natural alternatives. I hope to print out this thread and read all suggestions, so sorry if my questions have already been answered and I've missed them as I skimmed through. Thanks!!!!  KK  (KKLUVSTV - TV my husbands initials)

I used to take Super Mom, but I started taking SuperNutrition PreNatal Blend, and it has 1200 mg Calcium, 650 mg Magnesium, and 1000 Folic acid. It has so much more in it than SuperMom in other ingredients also, at 6 tablets a day. I compared the two side by side, nutrient by nutrient. PreNatal Blend had around 7,000 mg more vitamins than SuperMom andn also had 11 vitamins/herbs/ect that SuperMom did not have. There were only a few things that PreNatal Blend did not have that SuperMom contained. It has a much more potent Vitamin B complex also!   PreNatal Blend has super green foods also, such as spirulina, papaya.

Heres the link if you want to see ingredients.

http://supernutritionusa.com/productpages/prenatal_blend.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 12:07:56 PM by herbs girl »

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »
I did the SuperNutrition with my first 2 and with my 3rd ran out and did the Super Mom...a very bad idea IMO...despite all the extra stuff I did (spirulina, teas,chlorophyll etc) I was still WAY LOW in my iron worse than the other 2 ( I tend to be low but this was worse and I had done so many other new things to keep it up this time). I totally recommend the SuperNutrition and I only did like 4 tabs a day..they are a little pricey..but with SuperMom you have to supplement so many other thing (Cal, folic acid, iron, etc etc) that you wind up spending way more probably anyways...the SuperNutrion are food based vitamins

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2007, 12:42:40 PM »
KKLUVSTV, just to put in my $.02, if you are following her diet plan, I think it's a little low on protein. I like my moms to have 80-100grams /day depending on her activity level and health condition. I really like her book and refer to it a great deal, but I take exception to the diet part. JMO. Amy
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2007, 01:25:21 PM »
I did the SuperNutrition with my first 2 and with my 3rd ran out and did the Super Mom...a very bad idea IMO...despite all the extra stuff I did (spirulina, teas,chlorophyll etc) I was still WAY LOW in my iron worse than the other 2 ( I tend to be low but this was worse and I had done so many other new things to keep it up this time). I totally recommend the SuperNutrition and I only did like 4 tabs a day..they are a little pricey..but with SuperMom you have to supplement so many other thing (Cal, folic acid, iron, etc etc) that you wind up spending way more probably anyways...the SuperNutrion are food based vitamins

They are more expensive than SuperMom of course because their is way more in them, but the chepest place that I get them is here

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/033739001444.html

and that is quite a bit cheper than you would buy them in a health food store. 
The neat thing about the Iron is that it is Pre-coated on the vitamin so it does not compete with Calcium absorbtion too. And the Iron contained on the Vitamin is a special non-constipating and gentle, safe form of Iron. I listened to the audio on the Prenatal Blend. It was by the Vitamin Shelf guy.

http://supernutritionusa.com/audio_library.html

They also have a pdf. page to download that explains the reason and studies behind the high potenies of vitamins contained in  PreNatal Blend

http://supernutritionusa.com/learn_about.html

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 01:27:03 PM by herbs girl »

Offline KKLUVSTV

• Learning
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2007, 02:27:24 PM »
Amy- thanks for the input. My first pregnancy I had all day sickness x 9 months. Baby #2 I followed the Bradley diet with 80 - 100 grams of protein a day and still had sickness, but it stopped at 18 weeks. I really think the protein helped. Right now I am eating protein right before bed (and taking TTU) and so far no nausea and vomitting. I really do appreciate your helping me make sure my diet is healthy. Please give any other opinions you may have. I am all ears. KK

Offline KKLUVSTV

• Learning
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2007, 02:31:24 PM »
Thanks for the input about SuperNutrition PreNatal Blend. I will go to the website to check it out. Thanks soooooo very much for all input. I praise God for the ability to glean advice from caring people.   KK

Offline KKLUVSTV

• Learning
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2007, 02:38:35 PM »

They are more expensive than SuperMom of course because their is way more in them, but the chepest place that I get them is here

I realized I was reading the Supermom as if the amount per serving was for one tablet, but it is for two. So I actually was lacking more than I listed on my earlier post. (Calcium actually 100mg in two tablets not each so lacking 1100 mg)  :( Sorry read it wrong. 

Thanks so much for the information and site to order from.  My husband has decided for me to take these as my prenatal. I am also ordering Milk Thistle Phytosome, Absorb-aid, and dandelion to try to ward off this nausea I am starting to experience. Have been taking a TTU at each meal and before bed with protein snack. First two pregnancies had all day sickness pretty bad.

Question?? does SuperNutrition contain Phosphorus? Did not see it listed in ingredients. Shonda Parker recommends 1200 mg - Reason listed for increased nutrient in pregnancy = "Fetal Skeleton formation, fetal tooth bud formation, increased maternal phosophorus , metabolism"

If Phosophorus is not in SuperNutrition, do you think it is something I need to take separately? Please let me know what you think. 

Also someone please comment on:

Thanks,  Karen

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2007, 06:05:18 PM »

I realized I was reading the Supermom as if the amount per serving was for one tablet, but it is for two. So I actually was lacking more than I listed on my earlier post. (Calcium actually 100mg in two tablets not each so lacking 1100 mg)  :( Sorry read it wrong. 

Thanks so much for the information and site to order from.  My husband has decided for me to take these as my prenatal. I am also ordering Milk Thistle Phytosome, Absorb-aid, and dandelion to try to ward off this nausea I am starting to experience. Have been taking a TTU at each meal and before bed with protein snack. First two pregnancies had all day sickness pretty bad.

Question?? does SuperNutrition contain Phosphorus? Did not see it listed in ingredients. Shonda Parker recommends 1200 mg - Reason listed for increased nutrient in pregnancy = "Fetal Skeleton formation, fetal tooth bud formation, increased maternal phosophorus , metabolism"

If Phosophorus is not in SuperNutrition, do you think it is something I need to take separately? Please let me know what you think. 

Also someone please comment on:

Thanks,  Karen

Karen-

I dont know much about Phosphorus, but if you want to you could take  it extra. I dont think SUpernutrition has it. Some more things I like about Supernutrition is that it has 200 of Chromiom and 200 Taurine, and  most prenatals do not have that in them!  It also has 110 mg of B6, and it is rare if ever do I see that much B6 in a prenatal, and all that b6 is good for morning sickness and gest. diabetes, too.  I usually have gestational diabetes so the large amount of B-6 and the chromiom would be very good for me if I ever got pregnant again. (Lord WIling)

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2007, 05:55:59 PM »
I am wondering if any of you take or have heard of Juice PLUS+?? It is a whole food supplement- the juice of 17 servings of fruits and veggies put into a capsule along with some probiotics. 

I took that for my last 2 pregnancies ( I have had 7 total) and definitely saw a big difference in health, vitality, babies size, labor,delivery,recovery, and sickness.   I had UC deliveries for both. Extremely short labors, nearly painless, nearly no bleeding at birth, very healthy baby weights, extremely alert babies, and I felt great immediately after delivery and postpartum.

For baby number 6 I just took JP+, drank RRL Brew, and ate nearly vegan the whole time.

For baby number 7 I took JP+. The last trimester I took liquid chlorophyll and drank RRL tea. OH, I also took a omeg 3 supplement (anartic krill oil) the last 3 months. Oh, I also took Juice PLUS vineyard (which is juice of nine varietes of berries and grapes) the last trimester. I also saw a chiropractor 2 times a week the last 2 months. I highly recommend that!

Here is a quote from Dr. Odom, OBGYN “I have always
 recommended  ‘standard issue” prenatal vitamins. But we started to see
 healthier  pregnancies more often when I started to add Juice Plus+® to the regimen”.

There is a large study on pregnancy health currently  being conducted at the University of Mississippi Medical Center the pregnant moms are taking both Juice Plus+® and pre-natal vitamins. It is a double blind, placebo-controlled, randomized and prospective study that is independent from NSA, the makers of JP+

Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2007, 09:07:46 AM »
The juice plus looks excellent. However, I dont know if we could afford it. The Nature's Way looks good, they are from a reputable company, and it is a fraction of the cost of Juiceplus. (Nature's Way is 5-6 $ a bottle and Juice plus+ is 17$ or so a bottle.)There is a review on Vitacost.com from a pregnant woman for the Natures Way.   There is 5 more fruits and veggies in Juice plus, but for those of us who are looking to cut costs, I think Nature's Way is excellent alternative. Here is what I am considering taking for pregnancy and conception prep and during, I plan to take my prenatal too.

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=4116&at=0
http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Garden-Veggies-Formerly-Nutri-Juice-Veggies

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=4143&at=0
http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Orchard-Fruits-Formerly-Nutri-Juice

It may be a little different than Juice plus, but the idea is the same. Dr Sears says you can take Prenatals AND juice Plus at the same time.

I dont get near enough fruits and veggies.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:35:33 AM by herbs girl »

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2007, 10:48:06 AM »
I am wondering if any of you take or have heard of Juice PLUS+?? It is a whole food supplement- the juice of 17 servings of fruits and veggies put into a capsule along with some probiotics. 

I took that for my last 2 pregnancies ( I have had 7 total) and definitely saw a big difference in health, vitality, babies size, labor,delivery,recovery, and sickness.   I had UC deliveries for both. Extremely short labors, nearly painless, nearly no bleeding at birth, very healthy baby weights, extremely alert babies, and I felt great immediately after delivery and postpartum.

For baby number 6 I just took JP+, drank RRL Brew, and ate nearly vegan the whole time.

For baby number 7 I took JP+. The last trimester I took liquid chlorophyll and drank RRL tea. OH, I also took a omeg 3 supplement (anartic krill oil) the last 3 months. Oh, I also took Juice PLUS vineyard (which is juice of nine varietes of berries and grapes) the last trimester. I also saw a chiropractor 2 times a week the last 2 months. I highly recommend that!

Here is a quote from Dr. Odom, OBGYN “I have always
 recommended  ‘standard issue” prenatal vitamins. But we started to see
 healthier  pregnancies more often when I started to add Juice Plus+® to the regimen”.

There is a large study on pregnancy health currently  being conducted at the University of Mississippi Medical Center the pregnant moms are taking both Juice Plus+® and pre-natal vitamins. It is a double blind, placebo-controlled, randomized and prospective study that is independent from NSA, the makers of JP+

My wholistic M.D. (he's 84 and still practices) would like for ALL his patients to use this.  He says it's the best for getting all you could need as far as fruits and veggies go.  He also advocates a healthy diet, but says this is such an added boost.  I was just leary b/c of the pyramid type order process going on.  Maybe I shouldn't have been so pessimistic!  I might just try them based on your testimony alone.  WOW! :o

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2007, 04:32:05 PM »
The more I learn about the NSA (makers of JP+) the more I realize how this business truly wants people to get healthy!  One thing is that the price of JP+ did NOT go up  at ALL for the nearly 14 years it has been on the market. That right there says something. The coming year (2008) will be the first time the price goes up- and it is very minimal.

Also, even though it is like a pyramid, the ONLY way to get to the top is to earn it. There are no outside hire on upper management people.  JP+ is researched thoroughly - I challenge you to find a whole food supplement, comparable to JP+ that has been as independently researched with double blind placebo groups. The researched is published in peer review medical journals.
Plus, I have heard so many testimonies from people personally about their health improving in various ways since taking it.

The company STRESSES  healthy diet- eating 7-13 fruits and veggies daily,etc.  When I went to a JP+ wellness presentation, I was amazed at how much about health,diet, and nutrition I learned. I have been studying health for about 8 years.  Not all JP+ presentations are the same, but the ones I have been going to around here are sure worth it.  I encourage you to find out if there are any in your area.

All the people I meet involved with this business are wonderful people and are always sharing with others ways to get healthy- and they have all been good Christians and always thank God for the blessing of knowledge and health He is giving us.

Jessicah

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2007, 04:46:54 PM »
Can you buy juiceplus without signing up to get monthly shipments? I would never buy anything where you have to commit to getting something every month.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2007, 06:13:47 PM »
Yes you can buy one box- but one box is a 4 month supply. For that box, you can either pay the full amount or be billed monthly  each month for  four consecutive months.

The reason that they ship it in a four month supply is because the research shows that  improvements will show in bloodwork in 28 days, but even MORE bloodwork improvement will show in 120 days- so they want everyone to give it four months to see/feel a difference and give it a fair chance.
And if you decide within the 4 months to cancel, you send your unopened bottles back conveniently in the JP+ box and call and cancel. I had to cancel when my dh lost his job and I called and canceled. It took about 5 minutes! Or you can try for 4 months and then cancel right at the end of the fourth month.

Most people prefer the monthly charge rather than pay in full b/c it is easier to budget for.

BTW, I have all my four oldest children on it for FREE,  through the  children's research program. Any adult paying for their own JP+ can sponsor any child ages 6-16 into the research program.  This give the child JP+ complimentary for 1 -3 years. My MIL,FIL, and SIL and myself each sponsor one child. 

Jessicah

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2007, 02:38:32 AM »
I haven't been able to find an ingredient list and whether the ingredients are certified organic.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2007, 09:03:01 PM »
I haven't been able to find an ingredient list and whether the ingredients are certified organic.

The ingredients are NOT certified organic. However, they are grown organically, tested for herbicides, pesticided, bacteria,fungi, etc.- anything know harmful to human consumption.. MY guess is that in order to make them certified organic the price would have to up.

Ingredients:

vegetable juice powder and pulp from carrot, parsley, beet,kale, brocoli, cabbage,spinach and tomato. gelatin, calcium carbonate, glucomannan, sugar beet fiber,cellulose, Lactobacillus acidophilus, natural enzyme blend, garlic powder, oat bran,rice bran, dunaliella salina.

Fruit juice powder and pulp of apple,orange,pineapple,cranberry, peach,acerola cherry, and papaya,, gelatin,bromelain, papain,lipase,amlyase,protease,and cellulose,apple bioflavenoids,dried plant fiber,lac.bacill., vegetable derived magnesium stearate, anthorcyanins,polyphenal chatechins, dunalia. salina, indole carbinols

Sorry- I may have msp.- I am way too tired! shouldnt be up this late!
Jessicah

cecac

« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2007, 05:09:08 PM »
http://www.marysherbs.com/anatomy/anat-pit.shtml

Hello all,

I have the problem of not going into labor.  I will dialate and thin out, but I've had to be induced to actually go into labor the last three times.  We've had a bit of a discussion on this in the thread that is the general chat for preggars gals.

I was doing research on the pituitary gland (which is in the brain) and found that the pituitary releases some of the horomones for contractions of the uterus during labor.

I am wondering if the pituitary is supported during pregnancy, then would my body go into labor?  I have been adrenal insufficient for several years.  If the adrenals or the thyroid are suffering, then the pituitary may also be having trouble because it is directly linked to the functions of both the other glands.  Might my inability to go into labor simply be another sign of endocrine system trouble?

Just thought I'd share what I'd found.

Cara

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2007, 05:22:46 PM »
Cecac - I would say this is DEFINATELY worth looking into.  It has to be a step in the right direction at least.  I too have wondered about these things.  Let us know if you find anything more out, k?

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2007, 06:43:44 AM »
Hello all!

I am about 9wks preggo with baby #4 - hurray!!!  Over the holidays, I'll be spending some time at the home of a family member with two cats.  I am extremely allergic to cats!!!  Usually, I take a Claritin before going over there (the only OTC drug I take anymore), but now that I am pregg, I'm wondering if that's the best solution.  If I don't do anything, I'll be puffy eyed, wheezing, sneezing and having a hard time breathing.  It wouldn't make for a fun time!!

Any suggestions on things I can take?  We'll be going over there Monday night and it's Thursday morning.

Thanks!

Offline SamsGirl

• Proverbs 3:5&6
  • Adept
« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2007, 07:20:37 AM »
Hello all!

I am about 9wks preggo with baby #4 - hurray!!!  Over the holidays, I'll be spending some time at the home of a family member with two cats.  I am extremely allergic to cats!!!  Usually, I take a Claritin before going over there (the only OTC drug I take anymore), but now that I am pregg, I'm wondering if that's the best solution.  If I don't do anything, I'll be puffy eyed, wheezing, sneezing and having a hard time breathing.  It wouldn't make for a fun time!!

Any suggestions on things I can take?  We'll be going over there Monday night and it's Thursday morning.

Thanks!

Here is a link to an article on claritin and pregnancy
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/allergy-medications/AN00314

I have no personal experience, but you've posted on the right thread - if it were me, I think I would probably call my midwife/ob person to ask or also even ask the family member over to your place if you can and just explain the reason - will be praying for you to have an answer so that you are not miserable or feel uncomfortable taking something with baby
my earthly walk focuses on following Jesus, wife to Samuel, momma to Adela Grace and one more on the way

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2007, 07:43:56 AM »
I guess the solution to that can vary. How long are you staying there? If it is just for a  1/2 a day. Would it help if they vaccumed the furniture and carpet and put the cat in a bedroom for the day?

There are herbs recomened for allergies. I think fenegreek and thyme. Perhaps that day you could make a gallon of fenegreek/thyme/chamomile tea and drink it all day?? I think but am not certain, that these herbs are safe for pregnancy.

One thing I read recently is that histamine released by the immune system is what causes the symptoms. When you body releases this histamine in response to something like cat, etc. (things that most people should be able to be around normally without problems) it means your immune system is not functioning right. For the future, you may want to look into boosting your immune system.

Jessicah

cecac

« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2007, 05:09:15 PM »
Cecac - I would say this is DEFINATELY worth looking into.  It has to be a step in the right direction at least.  I too have wondered about these things.  Let us know if you find anything more out, k?

So, I thought I'd share what I'm going to do.

I took the Iodine patch test today, beginning at 10:30 AM.  I can barely see the patch now at 8:30 PM--so it is almost gone in 10 hours.  Definite deficiency going on, although maybe not excessive.

I spoke with a pharmacist at our pharmacy (they are into natural supplements as well as drugs).  This lady advised me that she would not have a pregnant woman take more than 1 mg per day.  Normal doses for people is 3 mg per day.  If a person takes in iodine enough, you can set up a detox.  SC has done some excellent research on it, and she has warned me on the endocrine system thread to be careful.  I wholeheartedly agree.

The pharmacist told me I could safely take 4 of the Standard Process Organic Minerals tablets per day, which have 250 mcg of iodine via kelp each.  I am going to do so since I know I'm deficient.

I am doing this because kelp is also, as per the site I linked in the endocrine system thread, good for the pituitary.

The pharmacist also informed me that Standard Process has an excellent product for pituitary support; however, she did not want me to take it pregnant because if I were to boost the pituitary, it could mess with my horomone levels, and she did not consider that safe in pregnancy.

So, that's what I'm doing.  I do not anticipate being able to go into labor without induction this time, but one never knows ;).  Particularly, if I have a boy, one never knows.  My last one, #6, was born in 45 minutes with barely any pain.  My boys have been the only ones to break my waters on their own.  If that happens, my dh is gonna be very nervous. ;D  Maybe we oughta talk about supplements for the husbands, to keep 'em calm and collected during all this.

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2007, 06:23:52 AM »
I guess the solution to that can vary. How long are you staying there? If it is just for a  1/2 a day. Would it help if they vaccumed the furniture and carpet and put the cat in a bedroom for the day?

There are herbs recomened for allergies. I think fenegreek and thyme. Perhaps that day you could make a gallon of fenegreek/thyme/chamomile tea and drink it all day?? I think but am not certain, that these herbs are safe for pregnancy.

One thing I read recently is that histamine released by the immune system is what causes the symptoms. When you body releases this histamine in response to something like cat, etc. (things that most people should be able to be around normally without problems) it means your immune system is not functioning right. For the future, you may want to look into boosting your immune system.

Thanks so much for all the replies!  I did find a homepathic remedy that seems okay for pregnancy and is formulated specifically for animal hair and dander by BioAllers.  It's a little too pricey for us right now but I'll keep searching.  In the past, when someone has an animal and cleans very well before I come and keeps the pet in a room it seems that I still react - although it may be better than nothing.  We can't have everyone visit my home because we're actually staying with a friend right now - we live in FL and are visiting our hometown in WI for a few weeks.  (I know!  I know!  MOST people go to FL now and WI in the summer - don't ask!!  ;D )

By the way, just a note for all the pregnant ladies - I just started taking Herbal Minerals II by liquidherbs.net (they wrote the ABC Herbal book which discusses treating children with herbal remedies - very good book).  I haven't had to take a nap while the kids are sleeping I feel so good!!!  I still get a little tired after doing alot - like grocery shopping, or laundry/dishes/cleaning.  But it has helped trememdously!!  I keep forgetting to take the prenatal along with it, but I'm sure that would only help.