Author Topic: Cold, Cough, Phlegm, Congestion & Sore Throat Remedies  (Read 117609 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
Re: Cold, Cough, Phlegm, Congestion & Sore Throat Remedies
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2007, 05:15:02 AM »

One of the first things I recommend when you feel yourself becoming congested is to take a laxative -- not an enema -- but some form of laxative to clean the digestive tract from the top down.

Do you have a recommended?  Or a "for this age, I use this but for another age/need I use that"?

Sarah K

Well, with little ones, mama usually knows what brings on a housecleaning BM. Some kiddos do well with juice, prunes, kombucha . . . I have a little guy that bananas do the trick for him. I would go with whatever has worked well in the past. You could give them some extra cod liver oil, but if they don't like it, I wouldn't. Sometimes, a good, concentrated vegetable/chicken broth will do the trick.

For adults, a cup of herbal tea with senna (if you aren't pregnant) will do the trick. If you are pregnant, concentrated vegetable and fruit juice/broths should move things along. Downing a quart of filtered water with 2 tsp of sea salt in it in the morning before breakfast will take care of things also. Just follow that up with a good amount of water throughout the day.

I don't recommend a lot of fiber/filling foods as this will just create more bulk in the intestines and we are trying to clear things out of there, not just keep you regular. HTH
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:09:24 PM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2007, 05:16:55 AM »
Well, I guess God knew that my memory needed to be triggered. As we are recovering from several weeks of cold/congestion/flu symptoms -- after having been without sickness for so long -- I am recalling the tricks I had to learn before we changed our diets.

I will say this, our recovery is much easier now that we are eating better (not perfectly) and more fermented foods and treating early and persistently with herbal remedies.

Back to topic. Another tool in our arsenal that we use to battle congestion are hot baths. Now, you might think that this is just a way to open and soothe nasal passages, relax tired muscles and such. You'd be wrong.

It was found that a hot bath would shift urine, become alkaline, back to the acid. With this evidence at hand, the bowl of hot lemonade sipped slowly and the hot foot bath, which mothers have learned from Vermont fold medicine to depend on when a child appears to be coming down with some sickness, began to make medical sense.

From the book Folk Medicine by D.C. Jarvis, M.D.

Why would you want to shift your urine output to that of a more acid pH?
By the end of the two years it was possible to answer the original question: "Does sickness come when the urine reaction is alkaline or when it is acid?" The answer is that sickness comes when the reaction . . . is alkaline . . .

Whether or not you believe that your urine output should have a more alkaline or acid pH, the fact is that a warm bath can change the nature of your urine output. Your body uses the skin, lungs, colon, and bladder to remove toxins from your system. When you are battling sickness, anything that helps these systems more efficiently remove toxins, is helping you get well quicker. Taking detoxifying baths helps your skin remove toxins, helps you cough up the stuff your sinus cavity and/or lungs are sloughing off and it helps your kidneys operate more efficiently.

For me, I find that a 20 minute hot bath helps this process along. Depending on my symptoms, I will repeat this as often as necessary until the chills subside and I break into a healthy sweat. It can really shorten the time of your illness, IMO.

For a detox bath, I use 2 cups baking soda, 2 cups sea salt and (if I have it on hand) 1/4 to 1/3 cup bentonite clay. If sinuses are congested, I may add peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil (10 to 12 drops) to the bath. If you don't have the essential oils, an over the counter vapor rub works well.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline MotherOfBlessings

• Adept
  • Blessed beyond what I deserve!
    • My Homestead Blog
« Reply #182 on: March 08, 2007, 03:20:35 PM »
I usually just use eucalyptus in the coconut oil & that's it. I make a small jar of it, keep it in the fridge, (make sure that no one is going to eat it :P) warm it up when I need it. We use the same mix for chest rub & liniment for sore muscles. It doesn't have to be refridgerated but it stays fresher that way. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Can you tell me how much eucalyptus oil and coconut oil you use?  I am using Vicks right now and would gladly make a healthier alternative.  I have eucalyptus oil but none of the others on your list right now.  My youngest is 20 months old.  Thanks!
Wife to SSgt. Cole, former USMC, now USNG
Homeschooling Mommy of 8 Blessings from the Lord

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2007, 03:43:59 PM »
I usually just use eucalyptus in the coconut oil & that's it. I make a small jar of it, keep it in the fridge, (make sure that no one is going to eat it :P) warm it up when I need it. We use the same mix for chest rub & liniment for sore muscles. It doesn't have to be refridgerated but it stays fresher that way. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Can you tell me how much eucalyptus oil and coconut oil you use?  I am using Vicks right now and would gladly make a healthier alternative.  I have eucalyptus oil but none of the others on your list right now.  My youngest is 20 months old.  Thanks!

I don't measure, I go by smell but overall, ess. oils are used at no stonger than 4% ess oil to a carrier oil. 4% works out to be 2 teas ess oil to 1 cup oil or 1/2 teas ess oil to 1/4 cup carrier oil. That would be the STRONGEST you would want to make it, for a toddler you may want to make it weaker. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline MotherOfBlessings

• Adept
  • Blessed beyond what I deserve!
    • My Homestead Blog
« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »
Thank you! it is hard to know what to keep on hand.  So much to learn! ;)
Wife to SSgt. Cole, former USMC, now USNG
Homeschooling Mommy of 8 Blessings from the Lord

Chels_Cary

« Reply #185 on: March 08, 2007, 06:02:53 PM »
Something I found that works wonders for Coughs and especially Sore Throats is Garlic Lemonade. Mince 3-4 garlic cloves put in a quart jar fill with boiling water. Let steep then add juice of one Lemon and plenty of Honey to taste. It is actually quite tasty! Also works great as a preventive!

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2007, 04:03:07 AM »
Thank you moderator for those links.  I just have to post a recipe that has worked better than anything I have tried -- ever!  My kids take a science class from a homeschool mom who is a microbiologist with a specialty in pathology and creation science.  This semester they are doing Biblical nutrition and natural healing.  It is an awesome class.  Anyway, she gave me a recipe yesterday for something to heal cough/cold/sore throat/respiratory stuff.  I feel 99% better this morning and I kid you not I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have a sore throat for the rest of my life!  ::)  Anyway, here it is:

1 quart honey (raw, never heated)
handful of garlic cloves (bruised but not chopped)
handful of red onion (chopped in large chunks)
handful of fresh ginger root (large chunks)

Put in glass oven safe container and put in oven on 150 degrees for four hours.

Strain the chunks out, you can eat them if you like, the garlic is pretty good honey roasted.  The remaining "honey" mixture is the medicine.  Take it often! 

This stuff works and doesn't taste too bad at all, I think the kids would like it pretty well.

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2007, 01:52:44 AM »
Ladies: What is your BEST expectorant?? We have persistent coughs here. Thanks.
(We have a nebulizer he's using for steam..drinking peppermint tea with fennel in it ... slept with Vicks VapoRub last night...)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 02:30:02 AM by freshisbest »

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2007, 06:26:11 AM »
Help!  My 16 mo. old has had a cough for 3 days now, and it's starting to get worse.  I started to do the garlic poultices yesterday, but I don't know how often to do them, or even if they work for a cough.  I think he's starting a fever, because his feet are freezing and he was shivering this morning.  I'm very new to natural healing, so I don't have much in the way of herbs, and right now I can't afford to buy much.  There is a natural health store 5 min. from my house, though, and I'll spend money if I absolutely should.  Here's what I have on hand:  Garlic, onions, olive oil, raw honey, lemon juice, lime juice, oranges, vinegar, apple cider vinegar.  Any suggestions are welcome!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #189 on: March 23, 2007, 07:59:37 AM »
Hi,
this might not be what you are after, not homemade, but my kids just got over coughs and these are the things that have worked for me this time and in the past.

Night baths with Ginger, Sea salt and eucalyptis oil
Eucalyptis chest rub
Brand name "Herbs for Kids" Cherry Bark blend.

their coughs used to drag on and usually lead to Bronchitis.  This hasn't happened since I've been using these things and they seem to sleep better through the night and recover more quickly.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #190 on: March 23, 2007, 08:36:03 AM »
I use honey and onions for coughs in our house.  I slice some onions really thick and place them in a hand towel.  I place this on the child's chest and put a hot water bottle (my preference, but a heating pad will do) on top.  I then cover them with a blanket.  I just did this on my 10yod this morning and within 10-15 minutes she was up and feeling better.

I also place a few onion slices in a bowl of honey and let that sit for a couple of hours.  Remove onions and give 1 tsp of the honey mixture as needed.  My kids never need to take more than one tsp.  It's amazing!

Hope your little one gets to feeling better soon!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #191 on: March 23, 2007, 09:02:18 AM »
I used the recipe from here..chopped 3-4 garlics and put them in a pint jar. filled half full with boiling water and let steep. When cooled off, added a Tablespoon of lemon juice . I put about a tablespoon of honey in a small juice glass and added enough garlic/lemon juice to make it a syrup. My 10 yr old thought it was great..even drank right out of the juice glass. I also chopped a lot of garlic and used it : by mouth: heaping teaspoonfuls
at a time, 2-3 times per day; Spread some on a paper towel, covered with another paper towel, sprinkled with hot water ( or heated in micro 10 secs) and laid it on his chest..covered with plastic wrap ( thought it would keep the heat in.) A day or so ago I got a little onion juice in a teaspoon and added honey to make it sweet. He took that fine as well. It was a really nasty cough, low grade fever, that lasted exactly one day. I thought I heard him cough today but he said " .. that wasn't ME!" when I asked who it was.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2007, 09:08:11 AM »
We use raw honey (just swallow a tablespoon) for a dry cough and honey and whiskey for cough with congestion.  A teaspoon of whiskey and a tablespoon of honey stirred together will coat and open you right up.

She's 16 mos. old so a teaspoon of alcohol is probably too much IMO.  I'd probably make that combo and give her 1/2 every 6 hours if she were mine.  Praying for her!  I know my kids and I are coughing right now because of seasonal allergies.  Pollen stinks!!!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline 5littlegraphs

• Learning
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2007, 10:36:59 AM »
I use honey and onions for coughs in our house. 

We do the same thing too. Except we use garlic in the honey. Do onions work the same way or possible better. I know generally speaking my family prefers the taste of garlic to onions. Just curious. Thanks

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2007, 10:48:18 AM »
I use honey and onions for coughs in our house. 

We do the same thing too. Except we use garlic in the honey. Do onions work the same way or possible better. I know generally speaking my family prefers the taste of garlic to onions. Just curious. Thanks

I think the garlic and onions are basically interchangeable.  I make a honey and garlic mixture that we use as an antibiotic.  I fill a quart jar with cloves of garlic and cover with honey.  I leave this sit until the cloves turn translucent.  I then strain off the honey, put it back into the quart jar and give my kids 1 tsp as needed.  (DH and I take 1 Tbsp)  My kids eat the cloves that are left raw or use could save and use in cooking, but I'm not sure how long they would keep.  I'd probably use them up within a few days.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Melly

• Adept
« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »
This may be addressed in another tread but I couldn't find it...

My one year old has a throat infection and I have antibiotics for him but I'd rather do something natural that I KNOW would work.  I don't want to draw this out. 

Advice would be appreciated or direction to the right thread.

Thanks, Melody

Offline Farm Wife

• Adept
  • 24 years (still newlyweds) with 2 beautiful boys
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2007, 03:55:58 PM »
Hi, Try searching sore throat. Goot is probably your best bet. Search GOOT and you will find out how to make it and if it is safe for infants.
Susan
Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works lest any man should boast. :)

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2007, 09:41:07 PM »
We use coconut oil.  It's antibacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and it's even safe for your little ones.   :D  For a sore throat, I would swallow 1/2 t. slowly (let melt in your mouth) and do it every hour.  To fight cold/flu aggressively, I would do 3 T. 3x/day.  It usually knocks it for me w/in three days.

:*``*::*``*::*``*::*``*:

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline annegirl

• Learning
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »
My 10 month old has a cold and a hard dry cough that wakes her up at night.  What could I give her for her cough since honey is a "no-no" until she turns one? Would coconut oil help with the cough? Or is that just for soar throats? 

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2007, 05:41:23 PM »
My 10 month old has a cold and a hard dry cough that wakes her up at night.  What could I give her for her cough since honey is a "no-no" until she turns one? Would coconut oil help with the cough? Or is that just for soar throats? 

I would approach this from a couple fronts:

• Fighting the infection
  • Building the immune system

FIGHTING THE INFECTION
When there is coughing involved, I keep in mind that the body is trying to expel whatever is in there.  With a dry cough, I would make sure baby is well hydrated.  You'd be surprised what a difference water does for healing the body.  This will lubricate the mucus membranes and make it easier to expel.  If you're nursing, YOU drinks lots of water and be sure to nurse often.

If it were my baby, I would rub coconut oil on her chest and back morning and evening (like my parents used to when they put "Vick's vaporub" on me growing up.  I would also give her a 1/2 teaspoon full (in solid form) or  in a syringe (in liquid form) throughout the day.  She may experience some detoxing effects (diarrhea, sneezing, etc.).  Remember these are ALL ways the body eliminates toxins and germs.

Check out Serene's article (from Above Rubies magazine) on great foods to introduce your baby (INCLUDING coconut oil).  http://rubies.articledirectoree.com/articles/health/nothing-but-the-best-2.html

BUILDING THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
I would use a infant vitamin supplement such as Sembocoul (sp?) during these times to make sure her body has all the resources she needs to fight sickness.  I don't normally use vitamins for my children unless I'm gearing up for a visit with a crowd of people or they're fighting sickness.

Please note, I'm not a doctor.  I'm just sharing my experience, as a mama with a few children, from trying a few things over the years.  Hope this helps.   :D

~Charity
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 09:09:54 PM by papercraftr »

Brian, Charity
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline annegirl

• Learning
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2007, 10:35:22 AM »
Thank you so much!  It was so nice of you to spell it out for me what the "essentials" are.  I've been giving my baby lots of water, nursing, and using the coconut oil.  She slept much better last night and hardly coughed at all. This morning she had a wet[ii]cough and was able to bring mucus up! She also has been having diarrhea which I assume is the detoxing. She looked so much better this a.m.  Thank you again. I was so encouraged not only for the practical stuff to do but also the reasons behind it. Thank you.

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »
Thank you so much!  It was so nice of you to spell it out for me what the "essentials" are.  I've been giving my baby lots of water, nursing, and using the coconut oil.  She slept much better last night and hardly coughed at all. This morning she had a wet[ii]cough and was able to bring mucus up! She also has been having diarrhea which I assume is the detoxing. She looked so much better this a.m.  Thank you again. I was so encouraged not only for the practical stuff to do but also the reasons behind it. Thank you.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D            :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D           :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D              :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D           :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D                  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D             :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D                          :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D             :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D           :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D              :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D              :D :D :D :D :D :D
You're welcome.   ;D   I'm glad to hear that things are progressing.  We also carry coconut oil (& other family friendly products), please feel welcome to check out our family store at www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com.

~Charity

Brian, Charity
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2007, 04:57:53 PM »
Cough keeping you up at night? Anyone have personal experience with this?  I'm also (I said almost!) disappointed we don't have a cough presently so I can try this.  Let us know if you have comments one way or the other.  A friend sent this to me today and I'm curious.

"Don't laugh, it works 100% of the time although the scientists at the Canada Research council (who discovered) it aren't sure why.
To stop nighttime coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks Vaporub generously on the bottom of the feet at bedtime, then cover with socks.Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief.
Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly.
 I heard the head of the Canada Research Council describe these findings on the part of their scientists when they were investigating the effectiveness and usage of prescription cough medicines in children as compared to alternative therapies like acupressure. Just happened to tune  in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in  kids often do more harm than good due to the chemical makeup of these  strong drugs so, I listened.
It was a surprising finding and found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bedtime, in addition to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.
An adult friend tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes and believe me, this was a deep, ( incredibly annoying) every few seconds uncontrollable cough, and she slept cough-free for hours every night that she used it.
So, if you have grandchildren, pass it on. If you end up sick, try it yourself and you will be absolutely amazed by the effect.
What do you have to lose?

Offline naturalmom

• Adept
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2007, 05:03:29 PM »
when my kids were younger i had a nurse tell me the same thing; she also said u could use mentholatum also.  i was raised on mentholatum and dh on vicks so either way; they are both about the same
i have used this method for when we have had the cold or flu
but just recently forgot we when were having a season with colds
thanks for the reminder :)
"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."  by Ronald Reagan
In God I Trust
My Intro

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2007, 05:16:29 PM »
when my kids were younger i had a nurse tell me the same thing; she also said u could use mentholatum also.  i was raised on mentholatum and dh on vicks so either way; they are both about the same
i have used this method for when we have had the cold or flu
but just recently forgot we when were having a season with colds
thanks for the reminder :)

Cool!  I was hoping someone hear would have something good to say about it.  Can you or anyone explain to me why putting it (or goot, etc.) on feet is better than just any other particular place on the body?  Thanks in advance!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #205 on: April 09, 2007, 06:28:48 PM »

Can you or anyone explain to me why putting it (or goot, etc.) on feet is better than just any other particular place on the body?  Thanks in advance!

Anything on the bottom of the feet is absorbed quickly directly into the bloodstream. Hold a cut clove of garlic up against the bottom of your foot & you will taste garlic in your mouth in something like 1 min.

Applying Vicks to the bottom of the feet isn't 100% effective but it really does help. I used to use Vicks on the feet before I started mixing my own ess. oil ointments- now I use the ointments on the bottom of the feet when I want maximum effectiveness. Vicks is a blend of ess. oil in vaseline, (petroleum jelly)  & the ess oils that are used are good for chest colds & coughing. My complaint against Vicks (besides the $- expensive for what it is) is that petroleum isn't good for you- it's absorbed through the skin & excreted through the bowel but along the way it picks up fat soluble vitamins. I used to make my ointments with olive oil & the ess. oils & they were good, worked well & I wasn't worried that the olive oil would be absorbed through the skin- it came from the same bottle we used for cooking. The only disadvantage was that it stains clothing- but so does Vicks. Now I use coconut oil & it's even better- coconut oil is antiviral itself & it soaks in better & doesn't stain clothes. I just mix ess. oil into coconut oil- I don't messure, I go by smell. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom   

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #206 on: April 09, 2007, 07:10:14 PM »
Vicks is a blend of ess. oil in vaseline, (petroleum jelly)  & the ess oils that are used are good for chest colds & coughing.

I was wondering about this option--using ess. oils/herbs and coconut oil on the foot.  I had not yet tried it.  There was a time when my baby had a high grade fever for several days.  I was praying and using a viit supp. to ensure proper nutrients in his body and everything else didn't seem to break it.  I cried out to the Lord because it had been a few days.  Then I sensed that the Lord was directing me to massage his feet with coconut oil.  It was very easy to do.  I did it for awhile.  He enjoyed it.  Within a few hours he a few poopie BOMBs came out.  Sure enough, they were black and dark.  I think whatever his body was fighting came out in his bowls.  His fever broke and slept well that night.  I had felt it was because of the coconut oil rubs on his feet.

What ess. oils do you add to help with cough/congestion?

~Charity

Brian, Charity
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #207 on: April 09, 2007, 07:25:14 PM »

Here's a quote from earlier in the thread:

The petroleum base IS what's bad about Vicks, other than that it's just ess. oils. You can mix ess oils with coconut oil & use it instead of Vicks. Eucalyptus is good that way & if you want you can add any or all of the following: mint, (menthol) camphor, thyme, oreganol. There's others you can use, that's what I can think of right now. I usually just use eucalyptus in the coconut oil & that's it. I make a small jar of it, keep it in the fridge, (make sure that no one is going to eat it :P) warm it up when I need it. We use the same mix for chest rub & liniment for sore muscles. It doesn't have to be refrigerated but it stays fresher that way. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

An update: I put mint (menthol) on the list because it is good for chest colds but I don't use it myself when I make this. Well, the other day I used eucalyptus & peppermint. I love this combination in the vaporizer but I won't use mint in a ointment for chest congestion again. It's too cooling on the skin & makes you feel like you have a chill. Might be good to make an Icy/Hot kind of thing for sore muscles but not for chest congestion. I thought I would let everybody know. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #208 on: April 10, 2007, 01:38:19 AM »
Thank you!   :)

Brian, Charity
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2007, 05:59:52 AM »
I would suggest eucalyptus & mentha and maybe throw in some oregano oil. ;D

Here's the ingredients in Vicks

5.26% Camphor
2.82% Menthol
0.09% Thymol
1.33% Oils of Eucalyptus
0.69% Nutmeg
0.44% Cedar Leaf
4.68% Turpentine
100% Petrolatum q.s.

Camphor is a white transparent waxy crystalline solid with a strong penetrating pungent aromatic odor. It is a terpenoid with the chemical formula C10H16O. It is found in wood of the camphor laurel (Cinnamonum camphora), a large evergreen tree found in Asia (particularly in Borneo and Taiwan, hence its alternate name) and some other related trees in the laurel family, notably Ocotea usambarensis; it can also be synthetically produced from oil of turpentine. It is used for its scent, as an ingredient in cooking (mainly in India), as an embalming fluid, in religious ceremonies and for medicinal purposes. A major source of camphor in Asia is Camphor basil.

Thymol is a phenol, is a camphor extract found in oregano, arnica, damiana, and other plants. It is used to eradicate mold and plantanum parasites, to preserve anatomical specimens, and in embalming. Thymol has been used clinically as an agent against fungus, intestinal worms, parasites, jaw and lung tumors and athlete's foot. Pharmaceutically it is used as an antifungal agent.

Menthol is a covalent organic compound made synthetically or obtained from peppermint or other mint oils.

Turpentine (also called spirit of turpentine, oil of turpentine, wood turpentine, gum turpentine) is a fluid obtained by the distillation of resin obtained from trees, mainly pine trees.

Cedar Leaf Oil is made from the northern white cedar tree, a small-sized, averaging 12 m (40 ft) high, evergreen....

American Indians have used leaf tea for headaches and colds, in cough syrups, and in steam baths for rheumatism, arthritis, congestion, and gout; externally, as a wash for swollen feet and burns. Anti rheumatic, astingent, diuretic, emmenagogue, expectorant, insect repellent, rubefacient, stimulant (nerves, uterus and heart muscles), tonic, vermifuge. Cedar leaf oil is composed of active essences synthesized by the secretory cells of aromatic plants through solar energy. Cedar leaf oil is used in pharmaceutical products because of its therapeutic properties, as well as perfume, toiletries, cosmetics, soaps and detergents, because of its aromatic properties...

Blends well with: Armoise, Cedarwood, Citrus Oils, Lavender, Pine Needle
Aromatic Scent: Cedar leaf oil is intensely sharp and fresh with a woody camphor scent...

Cautions: Taken in excess, this essential can produce unpleasant results; it was officially listed as an abortifacient (a drug or agent causing abortion) and convulsant in overdose. The leaf oil is considered toxic, causing hypo tension (low blood pressure), and convulsions. Fatalities have been reported. Do not use during pregnancy. Do not use without medical supervision...from newdirectionsaromatics.com
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 06:01:35 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!