† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Cold, Cough, Phlegm, Congestion & Sore Throat Remedies  (Read 121511 times)

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
Cold, Cough, Phlegm, Congestion & Sore Throat Remedies
« on: May 18, 2006, 06:19:09 PM »
Hi, all! †I have a question for all of you wise people. †I've had a ridiculously sore throat since Sunday, accompanied by fever, sinus congestion, and general yucky feelings for the first three days. †I no longer have a fever and I feel OK, but my throat still hurts like crazy. †I have absolutely no herbs on hand to work with (except garlic), so I need something simple yet effective. †I'm brand new to this stuff. †I hate going to the doctor, and I really, really want to avoid antibiotics, especially since I'm inclined to think that this isn't strep. †Do any of you have a good remedy for a sore throat? †Any help is much appreciated!

Sarah

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
Re: Cold, Cough, Phlegm, Congestion & Sore Throat Remedies
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 06:35:56 PM »
Well, some time back we all went through the sore throat thing and I had everyone gargle with warm garlic water letting some of it slip down the throat.  It burns a little but it really helps and you can put a garlic compress around your neck.  We also rubbed garlic olive oil into the glands of the neck area.  It is not fun to have a sore throat.  I hope you feel better soon.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 08:14:32 PM »
You could make a tottie  :o  equal parts whiskey (Southern Comfort is the sweetest), honey and lemon juice.   This is the recipe my grandmother always made for homemade cough syrup.  You can take them hot or cold.  Usually about 2-3 tsps at a time (about 1/2 oz).

Garlic probably won't relieve the soreness in your throat immediately, but the more you can ingest and rub on your skin (poultice), etc, the faster your immune system will help you to kick it.

Ginger tea can help soothe and comfort as well as boost the immune system like garlic.  Here's the recipe.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 08:17:13 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 01:06:08 AM »
my dad always got us to gargle with warm salt water.  oh and one more thing for comfort for your throat, drink some hot lemon tea with honey.......................... sure hope you feel better soon.

Offline dleeandcc

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 03:30:55 AM »
Sara,
If you are out in town sometime I would pick up some bragg's apple cider vinigar and some honey in your area, boil 8oz of hot water, add two tablespoons of vinager, the 1 table spoon of honey, mix and drink. I will warn you it is ruff at first but its great for sinus and sore/scratchy throat.  I use to have real bad sinus infections with sore thorat all the time and was on all types of antibiotics and sinus medication for it, I probably went to the doctor 6 to 7 time if not more out of the year. Then my husband and I discovered this neat remidy. It works for me and now I have no problems,maybe it will work for you. Hope you get feeling better.
~christina~

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 06:30:13 AM »
This fix may be hard for some to do, but it works miraculously for me.  I have only had one sore throat in the past three years, so I have only done it once.  I take a peeled clove of garlic and slice it in half vertically.  I put the bud in between my cheek and my teeth with the cut part against my teeth.  You have to find a comfort spot so it doesn't burn your gums or mouth.  Then, I go to bed with it in my mouth either over night, or if you are just tired of it being there.  Swallowing the garlic juice throughout the night takes it completely away by morning.  At least, it did for me, anyways.  This is probably best for the person who knows they wont swallow or choke on it in the night.  It really wasn't that bad.  I don't recall it moving at all.  Good luck with whatever works the best for you.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 06:57:28 AM »
We also do the hot water with honey and vinager.  It works great.  Sometimes I also mince some garlice into it, let it sit a couple of minutes and strain.  That does double power.  Sometimes I don't even bother to strain, but most people don;t like floatys in their tea.

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 06:18:16 PM »
Thank you all so much for your help!  I will definitely try some of these ideas.  I have to do some running around tomorrow anyway, so I'll pick up the vinegar and honey.  I'm a big wimp when it comes to taking my medicine, but I'm so sick of this! 

I new you guys would have great ideas!

Sarah

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 12:44:18 PM »
I'm curious, Nursegirl.  Did the vinegar/honey work? 

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 10:14:39 PM »
Weeellll . . . (sheepish grin) . . . I never got around to trying it.  It finally went away on Sunday (a whole week later!).  I wrote down the suggestions in my "notebook of miscellaneous stuff" and will definitely try these things next time. 

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Thank you all so much for the great ideas!

Sarah

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
  • My Three Boys And My Joy
    • Contenders for the Faith
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 05:59:46 PM »
My 3 1/2 month old has a loose cough with much phlegm.  He's having a hard time coughing it up.  I've just started the garlic poultices and I'm giving an elderberry extract.  Any other suggesstions?  He's also pretty miserable with teething.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 06:08:11 PM »
you may have already thought of this or maybe the drops aren't natural, but something i've done is use saline drops in the nose and a bulb syringe to suction out the nose and throat.  you have to do it kind of often, but it really helps when they are too little to blow their nose.  sometimes i wonder if i am making matters worse, because it always makes them scream and produce more snot!   ::)  maybe worth a try though. 

also you could take him in a steamy bathroom before doing that.  hope he gets better soon.   :) 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 06:13:14 PM »
I gave my kids a ginger bath last 2 times they were sick (2 and 5).  It helped wonders. 
CLICK HERE for the details.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:27:45 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 06:14:01 PM »
Here's another thread on Croup.

CLICK HERE
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
  • My Three Boys And My Joy
    • Contenders for the Faith
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 05:35:41 AM »
I don't think I was clear on this.  He doesn't have croup.  He has lots of loose congestion and is not coughing hardly at all.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 05:57:53 AM »
I don't think I was clear on this.  He doesn't have croup.  He has lots of loose congestion and is not coughing hardly at all.
Congestion in nose, ear, throat, chest are all the body's immune system creating mucous to rid the body of the viruses/bacteria invaders.  Ginger and other remedies for croup, colds, ear infections, etc are mostly immune system builders but also anti-viral and anti-bacterial.  Any one or all of these remedies should help get the problem at it's source.

If you're just trying to break up the congestion, use moisture.  Hot baths (the ginger bath would work wonders), cold mist humidifiers, and strong smelling herbs (mentha, mint, ecalyptus, tea tree oil, etc).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 05:08:21 AM »
my 2 mos old had a  snotty nose last week - instead of saline spray i expressed some breast milk into a cup then periodically put a few drops up his nose using an eye dropper.  Seemed to clear him up a bit, and he didn't even holler too bad!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 04:15:55 PM »
I know this might sound strange but my 3 1/2 month old had been stuffy pretty much since birth. I had been taking my son to a gonstead chiropractor for bed wetting.  It didn't help that but his problem with a stuffy nose and allergy symptoms got better so we took baby and had her adjusted and her nose stuffiness improved a ton. She has been twice. didn't even cry. 

Offline Anneatheart

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 05:33:56 AM »
I"m not sure what my kids have got, and I read the 'croup' thread, but i don't really know what croup is, so sorry if this is just a repeat. I have a three year old, two year old and 4 month old and they all have a cough, a little runny nose and lots of plegm. I tried the garlic poultice last night on their chest, back and feet, but I'm not sure how often to do it and for how long. I also have been giving them some Tummy Tune Up and EmergenC (older kids, haven't given baby vitamin C)
ANyways, they're sleeping and eating ok, but kinda irritable and I feel bad for their coughing, even though it's not a bad, barking cough. Dr. said it was a post nasal drip causing them to cough, but they hadn't had any congestion  or runny nose before the cough. (wasted that $25)

Anyways, if anyone knows what it is and how to get rid of it quick please let me know, three cranky littles ain't fun!

THanks,
Jessica
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 09:36:41 AM by healthybratt »

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 05:37:58 AM »
Be persistent with the garlic. It does work... the vitamin C is good too, don't stop too soon.

We usually do the garlic three times a day as you have described... depending on the child's skin I leave the pad on about 60 to 90 seconds in each spot (chest, back, feet).

One other thing to use is Sambucol... it is an Elderberry syrup that seems to be very effective against viral stuff... and it tastes good enough for most kids to take it.

--gabe
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 09:36:53 AM by healthybratt »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »
I got this recipe from an herbal retail web site. We use it around our house, and it works VERY WELL. It is the only thing that will keep my youngest clear and weíve done EVERYTHING else Ė including prescription medication and surgery for ear tubes. Besides, it wonít hurt and it tastes like sweet pickle juice.

Place 1 teaspoon of fresh, minced garlic in 6 oz hot water. Steep for 10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Honey to taste.

My children were reluctant to try it at first. But after they tried it once, they felt so much better that they now ask for it if they so much as sneeze. Itís important to use a fresh garlic clove as pills, tablets, powders & etc. have had their beneficial properties processed out. Also, because this is in the form of a tea, we havenít seen any of the problems with lingering odor or indigestion.

One other caution: have a tissue ready because after just a few sips, that stuff will leave your head -- and you will feel WONDERFUL!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 09:37:04 AM by healthybratt »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 09:38:19 AM »
Along with your supplements and medicines, make sure to avoid milk and dairy, greasy foods, and high sugar foods.  These cause the production of phlegm to increase.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Anneatheart

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »
So how do I give the garlic water to my baby? If it's strong she won't want to drink a lot of it. And I can avoid dairy with my older daughters, but what about the baby's formula? She isn't drinking as much and gets so choked up, but that's what she's supposed to eat.

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2006, 10:43:34 AM »
My little guy was 2 when I first found out about the garlic tea. The honey was sweet enough that it made it taste like sweet pickle juice. He coughed after the initial taste (the goop started to loosen), but quickly drank what I gave him. I think he might have only drank 2 or 3 ounces of the 6 ounce tea. That worked for him.

My rule of thumb for a baby would be that their bodies just don't need as much to respond. Let the baby decide. Instead of honey, I would use a sweetener that I trusted: vegetable glycerin, maple syrup or stevia. Either way, taste it yourself first. I was frankly shocked at how well received the garlic tea was by my kids. I guess little ones want what makes them feel better. Kids with congestion love the stuff because it does help. Adults that were willing to try it were amazed at how much better they felt. Adults that said they "just couldn't" bring themselves to try it remained gunky. :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 08:23:55 PM »
So how do I give the garlic water to my baby? If it's strong she won't want to drink a lot of it. And I can avoid dairy with my older daughters, but what about the baby's formula? She isn't drinking as much and gets so choked up, but that's what she's supposed to eat.

Baby's need their milk.  Avoid it when you can.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2006, 03:14:55 AM »
I can avoid dairy with my older daughters, but what about the baby's formula? She isn't drinking as much and gets so choked up, but that's what she's supposed to eat.

If you don't already have the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, set aside your next $20 for a copy. She has a section in the book on feeding babies. For moms that are not able to nurse their babies, she includes recipes for alternatives to commercial formulas. Click here for an article based on her book. I would follow all cautions regarding the ingredients, that they be pasture-raised, organic, etc.

For information on the effects of soy based infant formulas, click here.

Offline Anneatheart

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 11:57:01 AM »
I do have Nourishing Traditions and have read the info on baby formulas. The thing is I don't have access to raw milk (only one licensed farm in Texas hours away). Also, I just don't have TIME or the ability to keep up with all those ingredients. I have two toddlers, three in diapers and my oldest is developmentally delayed. I'm doing my best with what I have.

If she were my only child or only my second I would try the formulas, but it's just too hard right now.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 12:58:14 PM »
Hi!  I am new to your forum, but I have a couple of things that work for my little ones.

When my children get a cough I usually start with on onion pack.  I slice an onion--thick slices--and place the slices in a hand towel.  I lay this on their chest and cover it with a hot water bottle and cover them with a blanket.  I leave that on for 10-15 minutes.  I repeat this throughout the day as necessary.

I also put onion slices in a bowl of honey and let it sit for a couple of hours.  Remove the onion slices and stir.  1 tsp is all it usually takes to stop the coughing.

Hope this helps!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 01:27:24 PM »
I have two toddlers, three in diapers and my oldest is developmentally delayed. I'm doing my best with what I have.

:) I HEAR you! I have three, also. Only two are still home with the youngest having special needs. I am at the stage in motherhood where things that shouldn't be end up in the toilet -- the things that should be in the toilet end up elsewhere. SIGH  ::)

My method is just to pick a small manageable change (for you) and begin there. Making changes while overwhelmed is a sure recipe for disaster. Make one change at a time, adjust (breathe, relax) and then tackle the next one. Resist the urge to measure your progress by others' time, talents and abilities. God knows what He has placed in your hands. Let Him set your priorities.

With three in diapers, you deserve a long hot bath tonight -- after the kids are in bed and the telephone is off the hook!

Offline elise

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 06:22:03 AM »
Hello -
I have a 7 month old daughter who is teething, and has the typical runny nose that goes with it.  She sounds a little congested now, 4 days later, and her cough seems to wake her up from her naps.  I was wondering if there was any herbs I could give her, or if I should be taking something that will get to her through my breast milk - she is still strictly breastfeeding.  Any help would be most appreciated - just looking for something natural that could ease her discomfort - I would like to try to avoid any over the counter medicine.  Or maybe I just need to let her fight it off herself - I just don't know.  Thank you!