Author Topic: Smoothies: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 18268 times)

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
  • Music in my kitchen :)
    • The Most Important Job in the World for a Married Woman
Re: Smoothies: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2010, 04:27:08 PM »
WOW!  Thanks, herbs girl!  Those sound really helpful.  I will look into them and definitely look to order them soon!!

LTRM  :)
Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
I'd add some magnesium citrate for the constipation issue!

Please do your research on whether the herbs are contra-indicated for pregnancy.  

Using wild harvested horse chestnut is supposed to be toxic, so it's best to get a standardized supplement of that one in particular (if memory serves).  I've had vein problems too in pregnancy, and I've taken a product called 'leg viens' this time with excellent results...no pain or vein problems to report this time around, and I'm at 32 weeks!

If you start having swelling/rashes, or issues that would indicate liver stress (usually first or third trimester as the body is flushing hormones out too quickly), then dandelion is a great one to add in.

I agree in theory about using whole herbs instead of supplements, but I have an aversion to bad tastes :P , so I usually just do caps instead of teas/smoothies.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
Thanks, Gwen!  That's helpful info, as well!  :)  Glad ot hear you are doing well with your pregnancy.  Just eight more weeks.  WOW!!  :)
Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2010, 04:52:27 AM »
Introducing the makings of a "Power-Preggo" Smoothie.  :)  It really tastes GREAT!!  You don't even taste the plain yogurt . . . it sooooo YUMMY!!

1 rounded TBs of Mama's Red Raspberry Brew
1 cup of cranberry juice
1 cup of blueberries
1/2 plain yogurt

Mix and ENJOY!!

I'm hoping to add Oatstraw and Bilberry for energy, vein strength, and calcium.

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to add. 

LTRM  :)

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2010, 04:47:06 AM »
We make smoothies every Friday night to go with homemade pizza. I don't use a recipe but here is how I make them: Start with 2 cups of juice in blender. I use some kind of pineapple or pineapple blend but have used other juice if I'm out of pineapple. To this I add a handfull of strawberries, a couple handfulls of blueberries, a few chunks of canned pears, always a frozen banana, and what ever I have for fruit to make the blender full. A few raspberries are wonderful. Then blend on high for a couple minutes and enjoy. I have to make two blenders full to go around.

This past summer, after the peach pickers were done in the orchards near our house, my husband and boys found damaged peaches all over the edge of the orchard and on the side of the road. They went back with buckets and brought home 2-3 buckets full. I washed them, cut them in wedges and froze, skin on. They have been awesome in our smoothies.

Offline agypsyofthelord

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
Hello!  I am not a health expert, but I saw something that was concerning in a post from May 27, 2006 (by jeniwren), it has to do with eating apple seeds.

When I was a little kid I went on a field trip to a apple cider place in my hometown. My family knows the family that owns the place, and one of them was giving us the tour.  When someone asked about the apple seeds we saw during the process, she told us that we should not eat apple seeds. She said not to worry if we swallowed one now and then (she was talking to a bunch of little kids and their families), but that they are poisonous.

When I saw a recipie that included throwing in apple seeds, to be ground up and drunk, I did a quick search online, this link is something I found real quickly:

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2007/09/12/yes-apple-seeds-and-cherry-pits-are-poisonous.htm   

So just a word of caution about eating (and apparently, especially grinding-up) apple seeds and other related pits, etc.   :-X

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2011, 12:24:44 PM »
I've read that all fruit seeds are good for you and help fight cancer. Here are some links with some interesting information:
http://surfingthetao.blogspot.com/2006/12/eat-your-apple-seeds.html
http://www.naturalroute.com/content/cancer/fruitseeds_cancer.html
I always eat the entire apple including the seeds and on occasion eat other seeds in fruit if I feel like taking the time to open the pit and take it out to eat. I've never had any reaction to this  :)