Author Topic: Can I overdose on probiotics?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline intaiwan

• Learning
Can I overdose on probiotics?
« on: October 18, 2006, 04:31:25 PM »
is this possible? I am sorta confused....should it be taken ONLY when a sickness is coming on or one is sick? or is it recommended as part of a daily supplement....like a regular basis? or say take it 2months then off a month......anyone? I am hearing conflicting reports
Deana

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Can I overdose on probiotics?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:42:43 PM »
Quote from: BeeyoutifulGirl
You can't overdose on TT, as it just contains natural stomach bacteria. When we had the really bad stomach flu last year, I took two caps with each meal and had no symtoms.

To avoid getting the flu (later on) I took 1 cap each meal.

For the kids (during flu) I opened 1 cap and sprinkled the contents on my 5 year olds food,

A half cap for my 2 year old, and a half cap for my 18 month old. I could have used more, but it wasn't necessary, and I wanted to make sure I didn't run out!

As a general rule, vitamins are not like drugs - you have a lot more room for variation in amounts without worrying about bad side effects. That is, unless you have an allergy to a particular ingredient.
  My favorite herb book!!

PMESguy

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 11:32:16 AM »
Quote from: BeeyoutifulGirl

As a general rule, vitamins are not like drugs - you have a lot more room for variation in amounts without worrying about bad side effects. That is, unless you have an allergy to a particular ingredient.

Actually most of them are just like drugs. That is if you are talking about vitamin supplements (ie pills)?? 90% of them are made by chemical compaines (Big Pharma) who make them out of coal tar and petrolium derivatives. Much of the ascobic acid (what they want you to believe is Vitamin C) sold retail comes from high fructose corn syrup. :(

PMESguy

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 11:58:52 AM »
To answer your question, I really don't think you can OD on probiotics. There are 10 times more bacteria in your body then there are cells...or about 10 trillion. So if you eat a few billion more than you need, I'm sure your gut won't mind. You could be wasting your money on something you don't need, however.

Offline intaiwan

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 06:24:33 PM »
To answer your question, I really don't think you can OD on probiotics. There are 10 times more bacteria in your body then there are cells...or about 10 trillion. So if you eat a few billion more than you need, I'm sure your gut won't mind. You could be wasting your money on something you don't need, however.
so do most people just use it when they feel a sickness coming on or for more of a preparing or what?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 07:34:49 PM »
so do most people just use it when they feel a sickness coming on or for more of a preparing or what?
Your intestines are supposed to be populated by billions of microorganism including many strains of yeasts and bacteria.  When a person takes a round or two of broad spectrum antibiotics, this colonization of the intestines is severely depleted or completely wiped out.  The gut is then left empty for the stronger and more aggressive microbes to come back in and repopulate at a much faster rate.  The most dominant microbe in most cases is Candida Albicans.  This particular microorganism when left unchecked by the other microbes which should be present, will take over and mutate.  It grow roots or rhizomes that grow through the lining of the intestinal walls and cause a condition known as leaky gut.  Candida overgrowth and leaky gut can lead to a multitude of other problems.  For more info on these, read the links below. 

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1400.0.html
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,603.msg5890.html#msg5890

This is where probiotics come in.  These are supplements (pills, yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kombucha and other lacto-fermented foods) which repopulate the "good guys" to keep the "bad guys" from getting out of control.  Some microbes eat other microbes, but mostly they just compete for resources, much like grass fights with weeds to take over the yard.  If you know anything about lawncare, the better quality your grass is, the less likely you are to have the weeds take over. 

Taking probiotics can also help alleviate intestinal sickness, but uping your "good guys" to fight off such germs as e-coli, staph, strep, and salmonella.  If you keep your gut in order, then most of these "germs" wouldn't make it to the stage where the body actually gets sick, but if you've damaged your natural intestinal flora and thereby lowered your immunity, probiotics are necessary to get everything back in working order. 

Hope this helps.

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!