Author Topic: fever coming and going in 8mo infant  (Read 765 times)

Offline adamslove

• Learning
fever coming and going in 8mo infant
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »
My 8mo daughter had a fever and malaise/fussiness on Monday.  Two others of us were sick and/or recovering, including me, her foodsource.   :)    Yesterday, she was great.  Today, her fever is back again, and she is miserable.  She is having difficulty sleeping, which is unusual.  I don't think it's just teething, although it might be part of the problem.  She is having trouble nursing because of her drainage and stuffy nose.  Any suggestions?
Also, on my worst day, I was using these EO:  oregano, lemongrass, and lavendar.  I was doing a massage on my upper body (but not on breasts), pretty frequently throughout the day.  Do you think this has caused her any problems? 
Thanks for any help!

Offline Precious

• Adept
Re: fever coming and going in 8mo infant
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 05:13:27 AM »
It sounds to me like she may have an ear infection.  Even if she doesn't, it won't hurt anything to treat her for one.  We like to use homemade garlic or onion oil.  Finely mince a bit of garlic or onion, add a little olive oil, and heat gently.  Strain out the garlic/onion bits and let cool to body temperature.  Put 4-5 drops in the ear(s) 3 times a day for 3 days.

When baby is congested, it is helpful to prop up during sleep.  Lying down causes all that gunk to stay in the Eustachian tubes and encourages bacteria (thus an infection).  We like to put our babies in their carseat in the crib.

I would also recommend eucalyptus oil (external use only!).  You can mix a few drops with some oil (olive, coconut, etc) and put it on your skin while she nurses to help her breathe freely.  I don't see how the oils you were using could've caused her any problems.  If you think she'll tolerate it, I'd take some garlic so that she is getting some through your milk.

You will find lots of helpful info on these threads:
Baby's Nighttime Stuffy Nose
Cold Prevention in an Infant
Infant with Sinus Infection