Author Topic: Herb Safety [Herbs to Avoid] in Pregnancy and Nursing  (Read 36431 times)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
Re: Herb Safety [Herbs to Avoid] in Pregnancy and Nursing
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 06:59:25 AM »
    How much did you take?

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2007, 07:10:52 AM »
1-2 Tablespoons. Because flax seed oil will go rancid extremely fast I took the kind was kept refrigerated and I didn't put it in anything that I wasn't going to eat immediately. It was cinnamon flavored, with no sweeteners, but tasted good enough to take straight off the spoon. I also stirred it into my bowl of oatmeal, and oddly enough, it tasted really good with a milk chaser.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline mammamaude

• Adept
  • Our newest gifts from God!
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2007, 04:39:31 AM »
Can any body tell me if Pau D'Arco and Arnica are safe to take while nursing a baby??

Also, I noticed Goldenseal was on the list for not to take while pregnant...What about nursing?

Thanks

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2007, 08:24:42 PM »
Can any body tell me if Pau D'Arco and Arnica are safe to take while nursing a baby??

Also, I noticed Goldenseal was on the list for not to take while pregnant...What about nursing?

Thanks

I think I took 30X (homeopathic) Arnica while nursing, but I don't remember for certain.  (I know, that helps a lot, doesn't it  ::) )  However, I do know that I gave it to my very young son several times.  It is supposed to be safe for all ages.  Maybe someone else will have more information?  At least my post will bump this up for ya!  ;D

I'm not positive about the Goldenseal, either, but I seem to remember my herbalist advising me not to take it internally while nursing.  (She did have me make a Goldenseal/Slippery Elm wash to help with external healing, though.)

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2007, 04:24:28 AM »
My midwife told me that I shouldn't take Goldenseal while nursing.  A good alternative is echinacea.  Echinacea is also safe for baby to take, whereas goldenseal is not.

I don't know about arnica though.  I've used it topically, but never internally.

My midwife said that I could take Pau D'Arco while pregnant and nursing.

HTH!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 04:29:05 AM by ndmomof4 »
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 08:52:11 AM »
OK...if I ask my doctor, he will tell me to take Tylonel PM for my recent bouts with lack of sleep, or restless sleep. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction of some good night-time soothing teas I could drink to sleep better at night?  Is chamomile okay?  What about a night time tea from Celestial Seasonings?

I don't think I can handle the next 4 1\2 weeks with little or no sleep!  Any and all thoughts would GREATLY help!

Rebekah

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 09:00:57 AM »
Is chamomile okay?  What about a night time tea from Celestial Seasonings?

Chamomile tea is OK to drink in pregnancy.  A great place to check out what is OK and not OK for pregnancy is the bulk herb store site.  It says at the bottom of each individual herb page.  HTH's!

Offline herbalmama

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2007, 02:39:10 PM »
I would definitely recommand to anyone Shonda Parkers Naturally Healthy Pregnancy book. This has been the most comprehensive I have found on herb safety during pregnancy and breastfeeding, It actually explains why certain herbs are contraindicated during pregnancy and why some Yes even in the same herb family are okay for the pregnant woman.
Catnip tea is actually quite safe in pregnancy and was recommended to me by both a doctor and a midwife when I was having so many braxton hicks contractions at night that I was starting to dilate too early in my 3rd pregnancy.A cup of hot catnip tea before bedtime almost completely stopped the contractions for at least 6 hours each night ,not to mention it helped me sleep like a woman who wasnt pregnant  :).
ANother example would be goldenseal which should not be taken during pregancy because it can cause contractions but that is its only real side effect for a pregnant woman.So when my water broke and labor would not start two goldenseal capsules every two hours got the contractions rolling at a steady rate.I just made sure not to take for more than 24 hours.
I guess the point I am trying yo make is we should actually research the whys and wherefores of each specific herb during pregnancy including side effects so that we can still be careful for our health and that of our unborn baby but we dont have to limit our acsess to some helpful treatments that might be on someones " do not take during pregnancy" list.

Offline mammamaude

• Adept
  • Our newest gifts from God!
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2007, 07:18:52 AM »
My midwife told me that I shouldn't take Goldenseal while nursing.  A good alternative is echinacea.  Echinacea is also safe for baby to take, whereas goldenseal is not.

I don't know about arnica though.  I've used it topically, but never internally.

My midwife said that I could take Pau D'Arco while pregnant and nursing.

HTH!

Well, I personally found out why not to take GoldenSeal while nursing--It started to dry up my milk supply!  But the good news is, after a day off of it and plenty of water, my milk returned :D

Offline Fallmom

• Learning
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2007, 09:08:42 AM »
I am just 5 weeks pregnant.  I have 4 healthy children, but have had 4 miscarriages each with different causes.  I have been taking natural/herbal supplements for nerotansmitter and adrenal support, as after my last 2 losses, things were really out of whack.  The suppls are mainly consisting of amino acids and some herbs: rosemary, ashwaganda, Rhodiola, mucuna puriens and griffonia seed extract, as well as green tea.  I am doing so well on them, I went off them for a coupole days when I found that I was pregnant and really fell apart emotionally tand physically.  I want to do the best for baby, but need to stay well for my family's sake.  My naturapath is very conservative and suggested going off them, althoug the manufacturer has had woment take them during pregnancy with no problems.  My naturopath said she just doesn't believe in anything except a good multi. during pregnancy.  Any advice/knowledge of herbs listed?

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 03:01:22 PM »
I'm getting ready to order from Swanson Vitamin. I have taken Sambucol's Black Elderberry before while pregnant, but was curious if the following was ok to take during pregnancy. The Swason brand has: black elder flowers and berries fortified with red raspberry leaves.  I don't want to cheap out on this brand if it's not safe to take while prego. I would appreciate any info asap. Thanks! ;)
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 03:42:44 PM »
Bump! ???
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 05:17:46 PM »
Bump! ???

I looked up these herbs on my list of pregnancy herbs and ones you should not use.  I did not see the black elder flowers listed as being harmful and red raspberry leaves is actually recommended for pregnancy.  I take rrl from about 12 weeks till term.

Hope this helps a little!

Kendra

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 04:45:39 PM »
I am thinking of buying a Kelp supplement and while doing research I found this article about arsenic in Kelp.  
Does anyone have any knowledge about the safety of Kelp?  My guess is this article is just anti-herb propoganda.   :P
If Kelp is safe, does anyone know a good brand that is in capsule form?  I want to take it for low blood pressure.

http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/Agri_amp_Environ_41/040812142007_Study_Finds_High_Arsenic_Levels_in_Kelp_Supplements.shtml
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline S Hedderson

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »
Hey! Does anyone know "vari-gone" from Nature's Sunshine?  I just bought some today along with a bottle of Butchers Broom(470 mg/capsule) and was told to take 2 of those a day and 2 of the vari-gone a day!! Vari-gone contains 486 mg of butchers broom per capsule.  That sounds like alot to me but I  am pretty new to this whole herb thing!  All that for varicose veins by the way!  I am 25 weeks pregnant and am also taking the super moms from beeyoutiful. Sorry for being so long winded but does anyone know if that would be to much butcher's broom to take or if the vari-gone is safe for pregnancy? 

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2007, 01:43:18 AM »
   My midwife said vari-gone is fine during pregnancy, altho i don't know about the xtra butcher's broom.

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 07:49:41 AM »
About Goldenseal, an herbalist told me today that unborn babies livers cannot process this herb. Sounds like it could cause liver damage. This may also be a contributing factor for not taking it during nursing.

My question is actually about licorice. I've had an upper respiratory infection for about 10 days now, with no real signs of recovery. I've tried 3 different herbal cough remedies, raw garlic and honey, extra vit. C, and even succumbed to otc cough suppressant (for at night, and only took it twice). I can't seem to kick this infection. At 7 1/2 months, my tummy is SOOOOO tired and achy from the coughing. The worst part is everything is super tight and dry every morning. So each day I have to start all over again trying to figure out what to do next.

A friend recommended licorice, but I found out (from the same herbalist) that licorice could be abortive! Has anyone used this in pregnancy? How-to Herb book, The Little Herb Encyclopedia, and Practical Herbalism don't say anything about this that I've found.  Or do any of you have better recommendations for kicking this infection? I would so appreciate any input here.

Visionarymom

YoopreMama

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »
As I was researching motherwort...

http://www.familyherbalremedies.com/herbs_to_avoid_in_pregnancy.html

Susun Weed’s Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year is a great place to start gathering knowledge about the benefits and cautions around using herbs for health.

On her list of herbs to avoid during pregnancy are:

• Antihistamines like Ma-huang and osha root

• Diuretics like Buchu, Horsetail, and Juniper Berries

• Steroids and herbs containing steroid-like factors: Agave, Ginsing, Licorice, Hops, Sage

Then there are some herbs to use with caution, being aware of the risks:

1. Emmenagogues (especially in the first and last trimester) These are herbs that can help bring on the menstrual cycle:

Angelica, fresh lemon balm leaves, Bethroot, Birthwort, Black Cohosh root, Blue Cohosh root, European Vervain, Ergot fungus, Feverfew plant in flower, ginger root, Hyssop leaves, Liferoot plant in flower, Lovage root, Marijuana female flowers, Mistletoe leaves, Motherwort, Mugwort, Fresh Parsley, Pennyroil plant, Peruvian bark, Rosemary plant in flower, Rue leaves, Saffron stigmas, Sumac Berries, Sweet flag root, Tansy plant in flower, Fresh wood Sorrel plant

2. Common cooking herbs that may encourage miscarriage (avoid during first trimester and use only in small quantities in later pregnancy):

Basil, Caraway seeds, Celery seed, Ginger, fresh Horseradish, Savory, Marjoram, Nutmeg, Rosemary, Saffron. Sage, Parsley, Tarragon, Thyme, Watercress

3. Golden Seal root: stresses liver and kidneys, raises white blood cell count, and can cause uterine contractions.

Offline KKLUVSTV

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2007, 07:54:41 PM »
Has anyone used slippery elm powder for sore throats or coughs during pregnancy. Search on google gave conflicting answers. No comment regarding slippery elm during pregnancy on bulk herb store.

This is from "Herbal Remedies for Children's Health" by Rosemary Gladstar

Mouth burns (but I used for sore throat)  --- "To make lozenges, mix 1 tablespoon finely ground slippery elm powder, 1 teaspoon honey and little water to make a paste. Roll into a ball, adding more herb if needed, to thicken. If the burn is serious, a tiny drop of peppermint oil can be added (I am choosing not to use oils internally during pregnancy) Suck on the lozenge, using as many as needed until the pain is gone."  Tried one just about cough drop size, and then went to sleep with relief. 

Cough medicine ---- "in a blender mix 1 tablespoon slippery elm, 1 teaspoon cinnammon, 1 cup warm water, and 1 tablespoon honey. Blend well." ?? No input on dosage amount. ??

Thanks for any input on if slippery elm is ok and any dosage you think may be ok for the cough medicine.  I am truly so thankful for your help!!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »
I've read that slippery elm is safe...I'm taking lozenges of it right now, actually.  I've never seen it on lists of herbs NOT to take... ???

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2008, 05:08:10 AM »
Is cayenne okay for pregnancy?  It wasn't mentioned at all that I can tell in The Naturally Healthy Pregancy or on this thread.  I'm not pregnant, by the way. :)

And Shonda Parker says that Pau D'Arco is not recommended for pregnancy, but she never says why.  Anyone have any thoughts on that? 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 06:13:38 AM by morningglory »

Offline djsnjones

• Adept
    • The Dr. Brewer Pregnancy Diet
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »
From what I know....

Echinacea is safe for pregnancy and nursing, but goldenseal is not safe for either one.  But one thing to watch for is that many echinacea preparations also have goldenseal in them.

Sage is another one which can make your milk dry up.  We prescribe it for mothers who have lost their babies or have given them up or aren't going to breastfeed.  The main time of the year to watch out for this is around Thanksgiving, if your family tends to use a lot of sage in the turkey stuffing.  :-)

Prune juice or black mission figs are good for constipation.  They used to also make a juice from black mission figs, called "Miss Figgy", which was also good, but I haven't see it for awhile.  Susun Weed's book has some very good ideas.

From what I have heard, the use of yogurt vaginally is a good old stand-by for yeast infections.  You can also use a clove of garlic for yeast or for Beta Strep.

I've heard nothing but good things about raspberry leaf tea during pregnancy, but I recently became aware that some preparations of this tea include nettle, which has diuretic properties, and which could cause high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia.  So I recommend using only the RLT that has only raspberry leaves in it.

Dandelion also has diuretic properties, so it would have the same problems as nettle.

I've read that licorice can also cause high blood pressure.

In addition to the books already mentioned, I like Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by Phyllis Balch.  It has a very good section on herbs.

Joy
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:54:52 AM by djsnjones »

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2008, 12:14:52 PM »
From what I know....

Echinacea is safe for pregnancy and nursing, but goldenseal is not safe for either one.  But one thing to watch for is that many echinacea preparations also have goldenseal in them.

Sage is another one which can make your milk dry up.  We prescribe it for mothers who have lost their babies or have given them up or aren't going to breastfeed.  The main time of the year to watch out for this is around Thanksgiving, if your family tends to use a lot of sage in the turkey stuffing.  :-)

Prune juice or black mission figs are good for constipation.  They used to also make a juice from black mission figs, called "Miss Figgy", which was also good, but I haven't see it for awhile.  Susun Weed's book has some very good ideas.

From what I have heard, the use of yogurt vaginally is a good old stand-by for yeast infections.  You can also use a clove of garlic for yeast or for Beta Strep.

I've heard nothing but good things about raspberry leaf tea during pregnancy, but I recently became aware that some preparations of this tea include nettle, which has diuretic properties, and which could cause high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia.  So I recommend using only the RLT that has only raspberry leaves in it.

Dandelion also has diuretic properties, so it would have the same problems as nettle.

I've read that licorice can also cause high blood pressure.

In addition to the books already mentioned, I like Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by Phyllis Balch.  It has a very good section on herbs.

Joy

Wow, I've always heard that nettles is a great pregnancy herb because of how it helps with the circulatory system, and the healing properties for veins and arteries. Plus the great amount of vitamins and minerals in it. I even go out and harvest my own for my momma teas. Do you have a good source so I can look up more info on it?

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »
Bump

I don't have an official answer but I took it throughout the 2nd & 3rd trimesters of my 4th preg without ever thinking it might be unsafe.  I hope it is!    ~L

Offline djsnjones

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by Phyllis Balch is where I got the information about nettle and dandelion having diuretic properties.  But I already had known about nettle from somewhere else.

As far as how diuretics cause high blood pressure and edema, you can check the explanation on my website...

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id11.html

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id34.html

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id36.html

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id79.html
(see second example on the list)

Joy  :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:58:35 PM by djsnjones »

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by Phyllis Balch is where I got the information about nettle and dandelion having diuretic properties.  But I already had known about nettle from somewhere else.

As far as how diuretics cause high blood pressure and edema, you can check the explanation on my website...

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id11.html

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id34.html

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id36.html

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id79.html
(see second example on the list)

Joy  :)
Thanks. Those are interesting pages to read. I think I'll pass them on to my MW.

YoopreMama

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »
My Practical Herbalism lists nettles as having a diuretic action, and that its "influence in small doses is reliable...for suppression of milk in nursing women".

The whole thing about diuretics in PG now has me wondering about kombucha...

Offline djsnjones

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2008, 04:10:04 PM »
I don't find that one in the Balch book.  What do you know about it so far?

YoopreMama

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »
It's that fermented tea that many of us are wild about...it's made w/ a starter like yogurt (plus water, tea and sugar) and can be made w/o caffeinated tea, but I know my favorite is made w/ a white tea that I didn't decaffeinate.  I know I'm not doing it justice w/ this brief explanation.   :-\

There are threads on kombucha here...
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,6258.0.html
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3305.0.html

Offline snooze

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 01:07:14 PM »
I've been taking Mastic Gum for H. Pylori for about 7 weeks now.  It's working great, but there's a possibility that I might be pregnant.  Does anyone know if it's ok to continue.  My naturopathic dr. said it should be fine, but I'm still a little unsure.  Thanks for any comments.
Snooze