Author Topic: Rust Stains on Legs  (Read 3496 times)

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
Rust Stains on Legs
« on: October 11, 2006, 05:45:07 AM »
Ok..this is a favor to my mom.  My dad is a diabetic, although I don't know that this has anything to do with his problem...just thought I would mention it.  My mom said that my dad has what look like rust stains starting at his ankles and running up his legs, halfway up to his knees.  It is not streaks, but more like patches.  Has anyone experienced this or know anything about it?  Thanks,
JessicaI
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Re: Rust Stains on Legs
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 04:29:10 AM »
You mean topically, like scabby, or does it look like it is under the skin, or like his actual skin is a different color (like a freckle)?  How big are the patches? 
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 07:49:05 AM »
I think it is under the skin...not something you can feel with your fingers.  Almost like a skin discoloration.  The patches start at his ankles and go halfway up to his knees.  My mom said it is more like a freckle spread out.  Mostly on the front of his leg.  Pretty patchy, my mom said.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 07:55:53 AM »
My Dad has this same thing and he is not a diabetic, so perhaps that helps to answer half of it. It sounds like it could be a fungus.  A lot of people have described a skin fungus that is of that color and such.  If it is a fungus, most people have had luck with tea tree oil applications.  It has anti-fungal properties.

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 06:29:11 AM »
OK I know it has been awhile since I posted in this topic, but just thought I would update.  My mom and I thought maybe it had to do with circulation, you know, related to the diabetes.  So, since red rasberry leaf is good for circulation, she started him on that.  WOW, within a couple of weeks, the "stains" were gone.  I don't know how it all worked, or if it even had anything to do with his circulation or diabetes, but it IS gone.  Both my parents are so pleased.

Offline kmkmom

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 07:20:19 AM »
I had to reply on this one.  I know exactly what your talking about.  I have the same thing and have been diagnosed by two different doctors with granuloma annulare.  It's completely benign and no one seems to know what causes it, although it is more common in diabetics.  I have it on both ankles.  It started four years ago when I was pregnant and lasted about 18 months- 2 yrs.  It went away for about two years and has just recently come back.  It almost looks like someone took a bat to my ankles... it's lovely ;)