Author Topic: 6yo daughter with asthema on symbicort  (Read 2170 times)

Offline luvmybabers

• Wide Eyed
6yo daughter with asthema on symbicort
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
My 6yo dd had this wheezing in her chest for a month. I took her to the clinic and they immediately put her on two puffs of symbicort per day. I am not a huge fan of medications so did some research on symbicort and found a website that said no child under 12 should be on it. It's also a steriod that can effect growth in children. I don't want her to have to stay on it. Besides she is complaining of muscle cramps and is still coughing alot. So my questions are:
1. are there any natural remedies for asthema in children.
2. what are your thots on a child being on symbicort.

note: my dh is on symbicort for his asthema. dd is on half the dose that he is.

TIA
Noelle

Offline Banksy

• Learning
Re: 6yo daughter with asthema on symbicort
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
I am not a huge fan of medications so did some research on symbicort and found a website that said no child under 12 should be on it.

I can't tell you I know for sure of any natural remedies for asthma, but if you've heard that no child under 12 should be on it, I would definitely ask another doc for a second opinion!!!! Chemicals, steroids, hormones can really mess your system up if you're not careful, and doubly so in kids.

I'm really really new to the naturals thing, but have you tried identifying an allergen that may be triggering her asthma? My boyfriend has serious shrimp allergies that bring on asthma (and other pleasantries... ) I know eucalyptus oil and mints are supposed to be soothing for the respiratory tract, especially in combination with vapor. Have you tried a humidifier?

I don't really know much about asthma, could it just be a result of irritation?

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:56:30 AM »
I have seen rabbit tobacco (gnaphalium) suggested as an alternative to steriod inhalers.  Lobelia would also work since it will dilate the bronchioles.  During an asthma attack, Steven Horne (author of The ABC Herbal) recommends a dropper full of lobelia every 2-3 mintues and a pinch of sea salt in a glass of water every 5 minutes.  He says this will halt the attack.  

Mr. Horne believes that asthma is caused by chronic dehydration.  Dehydration causes the bronchioles to constrict, which reduces air flow and water loss.  Your daughter should be drinking 3/4 ounces of water per pound of body weight per day.  1/2 tsp of good quality salt (such as Real Salt or Celtic salt) should be added to each glass of water.

Nettles and vitamin C are also good for asthma.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:33:02 AM by Precious »

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 06:45:11 AM »
There are lots of threads about asthma on this site.  Here is just one of them: Help! Is there a natural replacement for an inhaler?

When my daughter started having asthma symptoms it was due to a dairy allergy.  Her symptoms improved overnight once I took her off dairy (although it can take much longer).  You might try eliminating some of the more common allergens and see if that helps.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline CKSMOM

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »
My two year old has asthma...has not been on symbicort, but was on singulair daily for awhile.  We have been giving her quercetin, fish oil, a multi vitamin, and acidophilus almost every day and she is doing much better and has been able to ween off of her singulair.  Praise the Lord for His provision.  For awhile she was on steroids almost every 4-6 weeks.  It was very scary.  She also does use an albuterol nebulizer if she has an attack.  Just my $.02.  Oh, and we give elder and rosehips most days too.  Good for the immune system.  Also, she had RSV at 11 months and then pertussis at 14 months.  Used the cough tea from Bulk Herb Store, it really helps for congestion and cough's.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 07:47:22 PM »
Glad this thread came up. 

A missionary friend of ours was visiting last summer.  She has multiple severe allergies & asthma.   We introduced her to Rooibos tea and she found that by drinking two glasses a day, her breathing was much easier. 
Have recommended this herb to many people with breathing difficulties, stress, asthma, allergies, sleep difficulty, etc. and have always had great success with it. 

The only caution that I have found on it it for Alzheimer's patients.  Otherwise, it is completely safe even for infants.

Bulk Herb Store ~ Rooibos

Herbs 2000 ~ Rooibos
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13