Author Topic: daughter's leg pain - life-long growing pains?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline mariel

• Learning
daughter's leg pain - life-long growing pains?
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:10:43 AM »
our 7 yr. old has always had "growing pains" in her legs(usually at night after a hard, energetic day of running outside)
we watched her pain levels for a year before we verified with drs. that she doesn't have some disease or something.

we used to give her ibprofin and pray! but now we try to do the muslce rub (which is SO easy to make. i recommend buying the herbs!)
and/or we use other natural rubs (solara?) i go from my PT years ago.
recently i tried to mix charcoal, flax, and comfey in a poultice. who knows if it was the "coolness" (really warmth : ) of wearing a poultice with elevated legs on the couch or if it really did make her feel better.

any ideas out there on poultices and muscle pain?
i can verify that charcoal/flax DOES releive pain - as it did with a throat nodule i had and with my husband's bruised elbow.

let me know what you think.
-e

Offline DHW

• Adept
Re: daughter's leg pain - life-long growing pains?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:00:53 AM »
You might do a search on "growing pains" and see what comes up.

Here is one on Osgood Schlatter (knee pain): http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2259.msg200588.html#msg200588

I would look into nutritional deficiencies, food allergies, or fungal overgrowth as a potential cause of chronic pain.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:20:31 AM »
Here is a WTM link on growing pains:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3994.0.html

Also, something you may want to watch for is "aches and pains" that last beyond the growth spurt years. Our daughter had terrible growth pains, and now that she is 13, she is STILL having these pains, and we are thinking it is Lyme's disease.

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:59:11 AM »
All of the above advice is great.  Just wanted to add my 2 cents.  I had growing pains all my life until I started eating a "real food" diet (eliminating processed foods and refined sugar), drinking filtered water, and taking cod liver oil two years ago (I am 33 years old).  My leg pains would occur at night when I was young and whenever the barometric pressure would have a wild swing as I got older.  I used to call myself "the human barometer"--I always knew when it was going to rain!

Anyway, we have had great success treating growing pains with eucalyptus oil.  Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to some coconut oil (or olive oil) and rub into the painful area.  Simple but effective and works very quickly.

I would make sure she is getting good amounts of vitamin D--it would be best to have a blood test done to make sure her levels are good.  If you want to have her levels tested, ask your doctor to order the 25(OH)D or 25-hydroxyvitamin D blood test.  I'm not sure what lab your insurance/doctor uses, but I know LabCorp offers this test.  You want her levels to be 50-70 ng/ml.  Below 50ng/ml is deficient.

Fluoride toxicity can also cause joint and muscle pain.  I strongly suspect fluoride in my case since I have other symptoms associated with fluoride hypersensitivity. 

SueF

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:21:28 AM »
When one of my daughters was growing up (she's 30 now) she'd cry out at night in her sleep with her legs hurting, growing pains.  We would rub her legs until they quit hurting.  Most of the time she didn't even wake up but would be crying saying her legs hurt.  I make herbal remedies, I'd try adding some eucalyptus, camphor or menthol to some mineral oil & massage her legs good before she goes to bed.

Offline mariel

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:55:47 AM »
thanks for all these repllies. i look forward to trying these new rubs.

i find that her pain is associated with days filled with lots of running har , jumping, or being at a friends where the activity level is greater than at our house.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »

i find that her pain is associated with days filled with lots of running har , jumping, or being at a friends where the activity level is greater than at our house.

When I've overworked myself, I find that taking an epsom salt bath takes away the pain. I use 1 cup epsom salt, handful of dried ginger in a tea bag or muslin bag, half cup of raw vinegar, and sometimes a few drops of lavender EO. Ahhh.....I could take one now! lol