Author Topic: Intermittent Vomiting and diarrhea every 3 days or so  (Read 8384 times)

Offline hollyeskimo

• Learning
Intermittent Vomiting and diarrhea every 3 days or so
« on: August 24, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas for me about why my 15 month old would have intermittent diarrhea and vomiting?  ???

We all had some sort of a bug about 2 weeks ago.  Each of my children woke up vomiting and or had diarrhea...even my hubby.  But that all soon passed and everyone was fine.  However, the baby is still having the diarrhea and vomiting (when I lay her down for nap or nighttime).  She does this about every 3 days!  It's very strange.  She acts fine otherwise.  She eats and drinks.  We do not do dairy or gluten.  IDEAS...PLEASE

Offline DHW

• Adept
Re: Intermittent Vomiting and diarrhea every 3 days or so
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
Either there is some residual bug still in there, or her flora and fauna (good bugs) have been depleted.

You may try activated charcoal to sweep out the bad remnants and probioitics to repopulate the gut.  Give the charcoal after each episode of vomiting or diarrhea, and give the probiotics at least 2 hours before or after the charcoal. 

Some moms have had great success giving Tummy Tuneup immediately after vomiting and diarrhea, so you could skip the charcoal and just try the probiotics.

Offline hollyeskimo

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:17:23 AM »
Thank you for your advice.  I ended up taking her to the doctor, and she agreed.   ;D  She said that it is common for the child or adult to have an acid upset after a virus that disturbs the GI tract.  She said it can also cause the diarrhea...and it can keep happening for a while. :-[  So, I am doing probiotics and keeping her up 2 hours after meals. 

Offline Lizzyj

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:48:12 AM »
Interesting... My 2 year old son has been throwing up about one morning every week for the last 3-4 weeks. Today he threw up again which is 3 days after the last time. At first we thought it was the flu (we spend plenty of time around other little kiddos at nursery and playgroups) but no one else in the family has gotten sick. It's the strangest thing and I have yet to identify a pattern of what he's eaten before or anything. He does seem to be my most susceptible child as far as the first to get sick when a bug comes around. Otherwise he is normally happy and healthy.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:34:46 AM »

When a child is allergic to a food this commonly happens.  Look at what he ate the night before and the morning off.  My guess is you'll find a common link.  Look at eggs, gluten, and dairy as the main culprits.  From there potatoes, tomatoes.   Eggs are notorious for causing vomitting and it's really easy to miss them b/c they are in so many things if you use anything processed at all or make your own stuff even. 
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 02:25:33 PM »
My son used to vomit intermittantly.  Eventually it progressed to about every other day or so, usually late morning.  He was about 8yo.  We finally found out that his spine was misaligned and was pinching a nerve in his neck that had to do with the "vomit center."  After his first visit to a chiropractor, he vomited one more time, and that was it.  He doesn't ever vomit anymore unless he is truly sick.  He is now 10yo.