† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Swollen, Infected Finger and Fever  (Read 6620 times)

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
Swollen, Infected Finger and Fever
« on: August 18, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »
My daughter is 2yrs old and has a horribly infected finger which (I think) triggered a fever as well.

I remember a few days ago, getting her into our van.  She put her hands on the ground of the van, and pulled back suddenly saying Ouch!  There was no blood, no cut, nothing that I could see was wrong.

Fast forward about 4 days (with no other symptoms or issues) and she woke up in the morning not feeling or acting herself.  I thought she was over-tired from two late nights in a row and let her fall asleep, thinking she would be up in an hour or less.

Three hours later I checked on her and her forehead was pretty hot and then I noticed the finger was really red and swollen and the fingernail was turning colors.  She was very very lethargic and slept all day long.

I gave her a garlic enema and the fever came down a bit.  Then, I applied a baking soda/water paste to draw out whatever was in there.  She didn't sleep very well during the night.

The next morning, I gave her another garlic enema and my husband did a salt water soak.  A little while later, I made a poultice with plantain, comfrey, lobelia, red clover, and slippery elm.  This really seemed to work the best - seemed to draw lots of puss closer to the surface and finally started draining on its own.  Hubby did an epsom salt soak and was able to drain out more stuff.  Then we put on some neosporin and covered it for quite a while.

She was finally feeling closer to her old self with the fever almost completely gone, still a little slow and tired, but at least up, eating and playing with the other kids.  When I took off the bandage, it looked WORSE instead of better.  I didn't see any more puss, but it was still very very swollen and now it was purple!

Is purple a good sign or a bad sign?  (I'm very worried about a blood infection.)

If the fever is gone, does that mean the danger is over and it will just take a little longer for the swelling and coloring to go away?

Any other suggestions of things I should do?

Any ideas on what the infection is actually from?  Maybe a staph infection of some kind?  Why wouldn't there be a cut or any signs of something wrong before it got this bad?

I put another poultice on it, since that seemed to work the best

Offline Cycami

• Learning
Re: Swollen, Infected Finger and Fever
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:07:51 AM »
We had a similar experience with my son a couple of years ago. He cried and held his finger out to me and I couldnít see anything wrong at the time, symptoms appeared later, swollen, oddly colored finger. The only reason I suspected a brown recluse bite was the kids and I had found and identified a brown recluse near our house a few days before that. The doctor did not believe it was a bite until I insisted, and then she looked under a magnifying glass and sure enough, there were fang marks. She put him on antibiotics but it still took a while to heal.

Offline Cycami

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:30:52 AM »
BTW with ours the doctor drained it surgically, and then later my hubby punctured and drained it when it swelled up again. Iím just starting to learn about natural healing, canít help you much there, but I do know that if your daughter had a bite, you need to make sure it is completely drained and not swollen.

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:13:06 AM »
When your husband drained it, where did he puncture?  It looks like most of the infected puss is coming up under her nail - when he punctured next to the nail (with just a little pin) only a bit of blood came out.  I was thinking he needed to somehow puncture the nail.

Thanks so much for the reply! 

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:07:01 AM »
Can you post a pic? It would help.

In the meantime, it sounds like she may have gotten a splinter- possibly a metal shaving- or something under her nail. Try a magnifying glass & strong light to see if you can see something along the edge of skin along her nail or through the nail. With the swelling the entry point may be sealed over by now.

I would keep doing Epsom salt soaks & use tea tree ess oil on her entire finger tip. Tea tree gets under skin surface to kill bacteria & it's also used for spider bites.

Purple is probably just bruising. Fingertips are cramped areas & it doesn't take much blood or swelling to be very noticeable. It would really help to see a pic though.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »
joyful_mommy,

Just thought I throw this out- when we've had weird problems UNDER a fingernail, we have found it sometimes necessary to poke a hole in the nail.

Take the very smallest drill bit (for drilling tiny holes in wood with the electric screwdriver) out of Hubby's tool cart (he'll think you even more attractive if you do this yourself ;)) Using only your hands, have one person stabilize the affected finger while you gently apply pressure with the loose drill bit (we're not using power tools, here!) into the nail and twist it in your fingers to drill down into the nail.  You will find it takes a few minutes, but it does NOT hurt and it makes a nice hole in the nail for releasing pressure.  Just take your time and do it slowly.  It won't leave a jagged edge.  Hope I'm making sense.  

Also, if you have DSS in the house, I would make a very salty warm water soak for the finger.  It will also help to pull.

HTH

Offline Cycami

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:02:17 AM »
Wow. I was thinking she might have to relieve the pressure through the fingernail somehow, but it wouldnít occur to me to do that at home. I think I would take the child to the doctor at this point, but whatever. If you use the drill bit, at least make sure it is totally clean (no rust) and sterile (boiling water for 10 min). 
Joyful, my husband basically repunctured and enlarged the very small incision the doctor made so nothing could accumulate and be trapped again. I guess the doctor probably went through the fang marks, but I canít remember.
 I hope you have been able to look at it under the magnifier though, because it could be anything, like the other lady said. Please let us know if you find anything! I hope the little one feels better soon!