† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Mental Illness - Conversion Disorder Diagnosis...need help for recovery  (Read 10150 times)

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
I have always been a a very anti mental illness person. Not very accepting of most people who claim to be mentally ill. I know that God sometimes has away of making us see things we never wanted to see. Three weeks ago I was hospitalized and had every test known to the neurological medical world done to me. Though I was paralyzed from the waist down I had no reflexes in my legs, lost complete control of my hands and my arms froze up, I had cycles of blindness that turned into blurred vision and I lost the ability to speak, think and I had no balance. There was and is nothing wrong with my legs in an organic sense and my eyes are in perfect health and I had an eye doctor examine my eyes while I was unable to see and they were physically well. After a week of really strenuous tests done to me, the Dr came back and diagnosed me with Conversion Disorder. I got emotional and went a little crazy over the idea that what was happening to me was coming from my brain. After spending the last two weeks studying Conversion Disorder and accepting my diagnosis is correct, I am left with symptoms I can't control and I have been informed that I need psychotherapy and physical therapy to get better. My problems still lies within my brain and I have accepted that, but I have high anxiety levels and co-morbid depression which I once did not believe in. My hope and question to anyone on this site is pretty simple, whether you understand CD or depression fully or not; Is there anything Natural, any herbs, or any teas that help with Anxiety specifically, muscle relaxation, and depression? I have been seeking professional medical help and I may have to turn to prescriptions I am aware of that, but IF there is anything I can do naturally I would love to try that first! Thank you to any one who takes the time to read this and reply!!!   :-\
"Give thanks to the God of gods; for his loving kindness endures forever" Psalm 136:2

Offline 6psnapod

• Learning
I'll leave herbal advice up to those who know.

I know what it is like to be hit hard with a disorder and how "simple" advice can sound a little ridiculous compared to what you are experiencing
but...

Get outside -- very beneficial for depression

Exercise-- very beneficial for depression and for relieving anxiety (side effect is it may help with sleep) moving whatever limb(s) or parts you can that day or have someone else move them for you Walking and praying saved me, literally.

Really focusing on an activity with your kids (game) or something else you enjoy-- before you know it, time has passed without having once thought about your symptoms

Birdwatching or squirrel watching or flower or insect identification (sketching etc or watching your kids sketch )-- all require focus  and take your mind off of yourself and your situation

I will be praying you get the help you need!

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
Thank you for your advice. Right now I think anything I can do to help myself out is worth trying! I have 4 kids so I think i can come up with ways to have them help me distract my mind pretty easily! I appreciate your advice! I am currently struggling to over come a recent diagnosis of Conversion Disorder and my walking abilities have been cut off... which I think is depressing  ;) I appreciate the prayers I sure know I need them!  :)
"Give thanks to the God of gods; for his loving kindness endures forever" Psalm 136:2

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
Cagnileous,
When I read your post, the first thing that jumped out at me is the possibility of heavy metal toxicity! I'm sure your docs ran all kinds of tests and labs on you and they proclaimed you as "perfect health" when in fact, you are not. Your symptoms point to that. Doctors are poorly trained in pinpointing heavy metal toxicity and nutritional deficiencies, which many times, are closely linked.

I highly suggest you start a regimen of detoxing your body of heavy metals--cilantro is excellant for that. There is a thread on here of a cilantro pesto, but with the search not working properly, not sure if you can access that. Also--combinations of spirulina, rice bran, B-complex vitamins, iodine and a wide variety of organically-grown raw vegetables will help you to detox and supply your body with the nutrition that it needs to heal.

I know there are several good books out there on nutritional healing and mental illness, but I cannot recommend one right now b/c I haven't read them. Maybe somebody else on here can chime in and give you some extra info....

Be aware that many (mental) sicknesses also have a spiritual component. Do not underestimate this! I would certainly get your husband to pray over you. I believe there is a thread on here regarding this, also.....
HTH!
~MS
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline floydian

• Master
My first thought was black mold.  It can do really weird things to your body.  Reallly weird.  I had a friend and his wife that were getting sicker and sicker and didn't know why.  It was discovered they had black mold all in their  brand new home under the bathroom. 

Also a great thought of heavy metal  that mama sita suggested.  Have you had a vaccine recently?

Last thought.  Go to a good chiropractor and see if nerves to any of those areas are compromised.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mineó
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline 6psnapod

• Learning
Thank you for your advice. Right now I think anything I can do to help myself out is worth trying! I have 4 kids so I think i can come up with ways to have them help me distract my mind pretty easily! I appreciate your advice! I am currently struggling to over come a recent diagnosis of Conversion Disorder and my walking abilities have been cut off... which I think is depressing  ;) I appreciate the prayers I sure know I need them!  :)

Yes, try until something works for you.  My suggestions may not cure anything but when our systems are suffering with something doing our best to keep free from stress and worry and depression and not focusing on symptoms may help give our body the strength it needs to help heal. When we worry and stress and focus on the problems I think it can interfere with our immunity and our bodyís natural healing process as well as mess with our thinking! I know I felt stronger and happier when consistently getting fresh air and sunshine, focusing on other things, movement (whatever I was capable of that day) prayer and family time.

And don't be afraid to ask for help from fam/friends around you. I was so worried about bugging people it really added to my stress when many wanted to help but had no idea how unless I ask!

Happy Healing!

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
That is my story of how I was diagnosed with a mental illness called Conversion Disorder.

It all started about 3 weeks ago for me. I was home working in my house when all the sudden I couldn't see, I felt completely disoriented and off balance. I fell into my chair and sat down for a half our. It came in cycles I could see one minute couldn't the next. I could stand up and then lose my footing and balance the next instance. After resting didn't help I couldn't help but start to get concerned and I called my husband who was at work and told him what was going on. He was on his way home immediately but worked an hour away. My mother in law was the second person I called and she and my father in law came over to get me. What I realized was that when my vision left and I couldn't see, I couldn't think or speak either. So, they took me to the local clinic and I was tested by a physician and he said what was happening seemed neurological and I should go to a major hospital to get fully tested with MRI's etc. I was on my away to the hospital which was 50 miles away and I laid back and relaxed and felt almost like I was getting better. I got to the hospital they ran some tests and my legs were getting worse. My vision was no longer cycling in and out it was just blurred and I had no balance on my feet anymore. I had to be helped up and with walking around. They admitted me to the hospital and the next day I kicked off a long week of testing.

They started with an EKG and did a CT and then did ultra sounds of the arteries in my neck and blood work. All that came back normal. The first morning I was in the hospital I had a heart monitor on, and then an EEG done and then went down for my first MRI. All those tests came back normal. Day two I had 8 more blood tests drawn and the only thing they found out of the ordinary was my carbon dioxide levels were low. They started me on bicarb and I got that raised and didn't improve at all. Then I had an MRI of my neck and back. They did ultra sounds of my legs. Still nothing came back out of the ordinary. Day three I had an ABGs test drawn and then they did chock treatment to my legs to test to see if the nerves were firing normally. The tests again proved that all was working normally. Day 4 they weren't sure what to do so they ordered more blood tests and then they started treating for my symptoms not knowing what was the cause. That is when I took a turn for the worst.

They put me on Xanax cause they said I was under to much stress, they put me on something to help with seizures (though I never had a seizure), celebrex the Dr. said would help with my muscle pain and relax me. And then priolosec to help with the nausea all the other pills were going to cause. I had my concerns about the medications and didn't like the idea of xanax, but the Dr. I had wasn't willing to discuss it, I was either take them or don't. So I took them. I got suicidal and nothing improved. Day five came along and they brought the eye Dr in to do an exam to see if there was anything wrong physically with my eyes. While meeting with the eye Dr. I lost my sight it started cycling in and out again. Then all the sudden I couldn't move my hands! My fingers started pulling and stretching apart past the point of my normal control and I could do nothing to stop them. The nurses came in and I was screaming and freaking out and they ended up taping my fingers shut to get them to stop pulling apart. Then there I sat hands unable to move no upper body strength left fingers taped and twitching, I could not see anything one minute and could see the next. By this point I was completely paralyzed from the waist down. I had no reflexes in my legs, my feet were completely numb and I could no longer move my legs or wiggle my toes.

After the eye Dr confirmed that my eyes were in perfect health, nothing physically wrong with them, the Dr. came in and having heard of my other problems and now suicidal behavior he took me off all the medication and tried to talk to me about Conversion Disorder.I would not listen I didn't like him anymore, he wouldn't talk to me when I needed to so he took himself off my case or so I thought. He did order me on darvocet for the pain and then adavan a different anxiety medication that worked to relax my muscles, I was still taking prilosec for nausea.But the Dr he thought was going to over see me and take over didn't. So he ran more blood tests and had me under go a spinal tap and when that came back normal and the blood work showed normal to every test they ran. He came back that night and I had a therapist in the room because I had been talking to the psychiatric Drs previously because they had to decide if I was harmful to myself or need further psychiatric care after being released from the hospital. Well I was after being taken off the Xanax and other medications deemed mentally healthy and harmless so I didn't have to go to a psych ward after being discharged. Well the Dr. who I thought was finally off my case came in again and told me they were convinced that what was going on was undeniably a Conversion Disorder, I started crying and I told him he was wrong and that I was not psychotic I was not crazy and I was not causing myself symptoms! He saw how upset I was from just seeing him and he then removed himself from my case and another Dr. took over.

It saw the therapist and my husband who helped me understand what CD really was, that I was not crazy or causing symptoms myself. I had no control over what was happening but my brain was the cause.That my symptoms are real and have to be treated. And then the next 4 days I met with the same therapist and went to physical therapy for my legs. My vision improved and I regained my balance and started walking again. Not easily though. I was discharged from the hospital and since being home. I thought I was doing better, when over this weekend I started having my balance go away and my vision got blurry and even though I am up and walking I look horrible doing so, its very painful and by bedtime I'm in tears cause of how bad my legs hurt! They said it takes psychotherapy and physical therapy to get over a CD. I am currently trying to figure out how to afford such things. And praying that the Lord will provide away for me to get the care and treatment I need. All prayers are welcome and needed!! I leave my life in God's hands and my trust that if He had a reason for me to have this happen, then He will provide away from me to get better!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Have you had any dental work done recently?

Any dietary changes recently?

What type of work were you doing in your house? remodeling, painting, carpet cleaning, light housework?

Are you on any medications long term?

Have you used Tylenol recently?

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
No dental work done in the past 9 months. I was sanding walls to paint. It was about the 8th time I have had to touch up and resand down the walls... I am not a fan of mudding and sanding! I only think I will like painting cause it will finally be on to something different!  :)

Only dietary change really was I did a cleanse/fast for a week prior but its one I have done before and it could account for low carbon dioxide levels but that had no direct affect on my parallelization, blindness, etc...
Only thing I take is a natural estrogen supplement that they took and checked all the ingredients and it had no way to cause the symptoms either.

I never believed mental illness was real. I took a psychology class a year ago because it is required in college and that opened me up to a small understanding of what the scientific reasoning behind mental illness was. I still believe especially people in this country are misdiagnosed and treated for things that are not real to them. Number one being depression, two being ADHD or ADD in children, and third is bi-polar. BUT that is due in large part to the fact that most people are diagnosed with mental illness by practitioners who are not trained to determine if someone does have a true disorder. Now for me, all my symptoms fit Conversion Disorder and I am a great risk factor, the hard part is figuring out what causes the brain to convert stress cells into symptoms to begin with. Then having to deal with those symptoms that are only being caused by the brain not an organic source. To properly diagnose CD they have to rule everything else out. I had 18 blood tests done that were sent to the MAYO clinic for so many possible problems and all came back normal. and then all the neurological tests done right at the hospital. There is nothing causing my symptoms in an organic sense. My brain is causing the symptoms to deal with a problem that was not being dealt with before now.

I just know I need to sleep again, I need to feel the slightest bit normal again. Although the symptoms can happen at any time and every time I feel good I walk around and seem to be fine I start having reoccuring issues. It is a very frustrating thing to go through, but I am really seeking any natural remedies I can take to get myself where my mood is leveled back out, my anxiety levels lower and if at all possible I would love to have my something to help with muscle pain and relaxation and sleeping!!??  :-\

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
Hey floydian,
I know we do not have black mold in our home, my house is 100 years old and my husband is a plumber he tore out all the bathroom floor and pipe everything as well as all the walls, they were tore out because of lack of insulation. We have no mold in this house. I am pretty accepting of my diagnosis even though I do believe I have been completely humbled by the Lord having to accept a mental disorder as the cause. I am taking the steps to recovery from CD one day at a time and leave my life in Gods hands, but my problem is that you have to treat the symptoms while working through the cause of them, because they are real. And I more then anything want to find a natural remedy for muscle pain/a muscle relaxer, anxiety, depression(anything to lift my mood really), and sleep aid! I haven't slept normal in a month now and I am in a lot of pain with my legs. Thank you for reply I appreciate it and everyone else trying to help me!  :-\

Offline 6psnapod

• Learning
How about a (daily) message? It could help with leg pain, take your mind to a peaceful place and stimulate your muscles etc as well.

Maybe get a good message book for hubby to try out on you  ;) if he is so inclined. It might help him feel not so helpless? Or a sister or friend. Or see someone professionally though that may be expensive.

Touch is a very powerful healer especially from a loved one! And can feel so remarkable and help you mind and body!

I remember when I was at my worst my children stroking my back or brushing my hair just felt like heaven to me and full of love.

As an added bonus the really good message books are great anatomy lessons.  When our body is rebelling learning all you can about it's parts and functions sometimes alleviates problems. Knowledge is power as they say or half the battle.

As you've learned our minds are powerful and can harm, but it can also be turned around and used to our advantage to conquer something like this.
But I know, it is getting our brain to change gears that can be so difficult.
(kind of like how scripture talks about the tongue LOL)

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
No dental work done in the past 9 months. I was sanding walls to paint. It was about the 8th time I have had to touch up and resand down the walls...

What about lead in the paint that you were sanding? Could you possibly have inhaled lead paint?

I'm just grasping at straws here.... ???

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
Hey Mama Sita,
Never got to the point of paint. And the walls are brand new drywall and have yet to have a drop of paint on them...

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
6psnapod,
I wont pass on a message!  :D even if it don't cure me it sure is a good idea! 

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
Hey Mama Sita,
Never got to the point of paint. And the walls are brand new drywall and have yet to have a drop of paint on them...

Oh, gotcha!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Hey Mama Sita,

Drywall and joint compound used on the seams can cause a reaction in some people.  (I know; I have a severe allergy to a gas released during the curing of joint compound.) 

I have multiple, severe chemical allergies.  Some of them cause a cerebral or neurological response.  After many visits to a multitude of doctors and specialists and mountains of tests showing nothing, I began seeing a naturopath who was able to diagnose and treat. 

If you want to find a way to be healed of this, keep looking.  Find a doctor that will look for what has caused this ailment.   It may take time and determination on your part.  I know it did for us; we had to make some hard decisions.   
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
ladyhen,
I do appreciate the insight but my diagnosis of Conversion Disorder was correct. How it is still affecting my daily life is apparent in that. If you are confused or anyone else about what Conversion Disorder is or just someone like myself who has a hard time believing in mental illness that is fine too. I am not trying to be re-diagnosed I am accepting of what has happened to me. What I am seeking if ANYONE has any insight that could be helpful, is there anything I can take that is a natural remedy for muscle pain and that would help relaxing the muscles, anxiety or stress, something that boosts the mood naturally and natural sleep aid? I am getting the help I need right now to deal with what is the cause of my symptoms but until then I have to treat what is ailing me. And those are what I need helped with.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
I definitely believe that emotions can affect neurological and brain function. However there are chemical imbalances, sometimes very brief, and minute that cause the actual symptoms. While there is nothing organicly wrong, there are actual brief imbalances in the brain from stress induced deficiencies and toxicities or auto-immune reactions.

For your muscle pain and insomnia...in all the tests they ran their should have been calcium, magnesium, potassium, and Vit D levels. Are these low? Those test numbers will help in figuring out what supplements, foods, or techniques can ease the pain.

In addition, what were your cortisol, T3, T4, TSH numbers?

1 tbsp of cod liver oil per day
1000mg of borage seed oil with 200 mg of GLA
400 mg of ionic or magnesium citrate
5000IU of Vit D3
3000mg of a whole food sourced, buffered VitC divided into 3-5x a day
whole food vit B complex
additional B6, folinic acid, and B12
All are helpful in almost every case of stress as well as being safe for most.

I'm currently reading a book...very good! The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. It's full of helpful tips and natural solutions for mood and stress relief. Very helpful, well balanced recommendations for safely using herbs and supplements.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:58:06 AM by boysmama »

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Additional info that may be helpful to you or others....
Because a general medical etiology for many cases of apparent Conversion Disorder can take years to become evident, the diagnosis should be reevaluated periodically.
Even when following such guidelines carefully, caution must be exercised. Knowledge of anatomical and physiological mechanisms is incomplete, and available methods of objective assessment have limitations. A broad range of neurological conditions may be misdiagnosed as Conversion Disorder. Prominent among them are multiple sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, and idiopathic or substance-induced dystonias. However, the presence of a neurological condition does not preclude a diagnosis of Conversion Disorder.
Because psychological factors are so ubiquitously present in relation to general medical conditions, it can be difficult to establish whether a specific psychological factor is etiologically related to the symptom or deficit.
from http://www.recurrentdepression.com/site/more/108/

Multiple sclerosis often misdiagnosed as mental disorder: The early stages of multiple sclerosis may cause various general feelings of wellness, happiness, euphoria, or manic-type symptoms in some patients. These symptoms may lead to a misdiagnosis of bipolar disorder (manic-depressive disorder), hypomania, cyclothymia, histrionic personality disorder, or similar disorders. Other patients may show depressive symptoms as part of Multiple sclerosis and risk a misdiagnosis of depression (i.e. non-bipolar unipolar depression). Other possible misdiagnoses of multiple sclerosis include somatization disorder, conversion disorder, neurotic disorders, or other psychological disorders. See the overview of multiple sclerosis.
Lupus is often misdiagnosed as other conditions: Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), often simply called "lupus", is a difficult disease to diagnose and can manifest with numerous symptoms. Some of the possible misdiagnoses include depression, bipolar disorder, anorexia nervosa, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, schizophrenia (a less common manifestation of lupus with hallucinations and/or delusions), conversion disorder, somatization disorder, hysteria and other diagnoses. See the overview of lupus or symptoms of lupus.
from http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/c/conversion_disorder/intro.htm

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Since Mayo Clinic was involved in your diagnosis, you might wish to read their articles on Conversion Disorder.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/conversion-disorder/DS00877

Nueroscience is advancing rapidly. I'm a bit puzzled that you would receive a diagnosis so solidly based in Fruedian-style phsycology when advances in the study of altered brain chemistry as a cause of depression, anxiety, and other dysfunctions are rapidly changing the treatment and diagnosis of these mental illnesses.
Nutritional deficiencies, toxicities, and viral infections are all things that can affect the way we handle stress. As many people have found out as they turn to a healthier, more natural lifestyle these emotions drop away automatically as the body and brain are relieved of toxins or nourished to be able to process normally.
That is not to say that emotions, external and internal stressors do not play a role in these illnesses. Our state of mind has quite a bit to do with health, but there are actual chemical and biological things happening within our brains because of them. Nutritional support can eliminate these chemical imbalances and help us deal naturally with stress.

Again. I think the book " The Mood Cure" would be an excellent read for your situation as well as the supplements listed earlier.

Offline floydian

• Master
From what I understand about conversion disorder, it is by definition a neurological disorder for which doctors cannot find a cause.  The doctors relate it to stress and basically say that stress causes your brain to think there is something wrong and react a certain way, when nothing appears to be wrong.

Just because nothing shows up on various tests, does not necessarily mean that there was not an initial cause.  Your brain was working correctly, and then it stopped working correctly.  I believe that the brain was designed by a master creator who has an incredible design.  All of a sudden you have crazy symptoms that you have never had before.  Why?  Because your brain all of a sudden stopped working correctly?  Well why?  Because of stress?  OK, why now?  Had you never had stress in your life before?  I can easily believe that you had one type of stress that broke the proverbial camel's back, but still, why?  I know stress can cause many problems, but the body is actually designed by God to handle stress, and when it doesn't, something is wrong.

Many neurological issues are caused by a toxin crossing the blood-brain barrier.  That was why I suggested black mold.  It's one of the worst offenders, so is mercury, and so are some heavy metals.  Ladyhen said that drywall and joint compound is as well (I didn't know this, thanks!).  I would assume that the doctors did not test you for whatever chemical was in drywall and joint compound, but I could be wrong.  Another offender is an ingredient in a common flee bomb.

Another thing you need to know about neurological toxins is that they cause different symptoms in different people.  There are over 600 Neurological diseases/issues.  I am assuming there are so many because like I said earlier, no two people are alike, and people are going to respond differently to different chemical compounds.  There are just SO many different factors.

So at this point what would I personally do?  I would start researching how to get my body as healthy as possible.  I would look into various detoxes and detoxing agents.  I would start eating as healthy as a possibly could probably doing the GAPS diet.

I would go to a corrective chiropractor, one that corrects spinal subluxations.  If would actually ask to see if he did corrective care with xrays, if not, don't bother.  Find another one that does.  If the nerves are not getting the correct messages from the brain, this is going to cause problems.  A corrective chiropractor can help make sure that there is nothing hindering this process.

Last I would get my vitamin D3 levels checked.  There is a wealth of information about how vitamin D helps neurological disorders.  There have been so many studies about those that had N. disorders having vitamin D deficiencies.  There were other studies of how vitamin D helped those with N. disorders completely reverse the disorder.

From what I understand, experts believe that vitamin D helps cells in the body communicate and communicate correctly. Without enough of it, the cells begin to cause incorrect communications especially in the brain (also in the pancreas).

Praying that you find answers soon.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mineó
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline 6psnapod

• Learning

Cagnileous
Just make sure to carefully check out how any doctor prescribed meds you may be taking may react with anything else you begin taking on your own.

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
boysmama and  floydian,
I did not accept the diagnosis quickly or easily. That is not at all what happened. I had over 12,000 tests done with my blood to rule out any and all deficiencies. These tests were done at the MAYO clinic. Very thoroughly and some repeated twice. I had no detection of heavy metal toxins, no vitamin deficiencies, no mercury, etc. They did not and could not find any deficiencies accept low carbon dioxide levels which could be explained with the cleanse I was on. After that I still had a spinal tap and the fluid tested from my spine showed no MS no lupus, no auto-immune. I felt like a patient on the show Dr House because of all the tests I had run on me. I had my spine and neck ultra sounded and an MRI done to prove that I had nothing wrong. Not once but twice. And then they were once with out dye and contrast and then once with. I had electro shock therapy done to me to prove that all my nerves were firing completely normal while I had absolutely no ability to lift my leg and no reflexes. They spent 7 days testing me for every single neurological factor known to the medical world. Then they tested for any and every illness, disease, infection, and any deficiencies they could. I had blood work done filled 6-8 containers 7 times. I didn't think they could possibly take any more blood out of my body without having to put more back!

The way conversion disorder works is cells stored in the brain released and converted into symptoms and can be triggered and converted due to stress so they think at any time. The way they diagnose CD correctly is only to eliminate any other possibility. I just did a 10 day cleanse of the body I am a considerably healthy individual. Every test ran on my came back normal. Not one neurological problem could be addressed. AND I was blind and had nothing physically wrong with my eyes. It takes the brain to do that and it takes something causing it to do so.

I completely believe in a Creator or the body, mind and soul. I also came to accept CD as a diagnosis one because absolutely every test done came back normal and two because of how it works to begin with. If God has absolute control over my members, and CD stops you quite literally in your tracks until you deal with an underlining cause of why it happened to begin with, then I gave it to the Lord and accepted that His will was for me to deal with an issue I had not. I have come from a very traumatic back ground dealing with mental, physical, and sexual abuse. There for I began to believe that if its in the brain and God has power over my brain, He has a purpose and a reason for what is happening to me. I have had my health taken away completely in the past when in all other cases I was healthy just to open my eyes to something and be able to make good changes. God works in His way not ours, and I just trust that I needed to deal with something I was not able to or even knew about until that day.

Now I am seeking the Lord as my guide to getting better. I have to deal with real symptoms that I suffer on a daily basis. I can't get up and take a walk without my legs hurting so bad I cry myself to sleep. I was a jogger and did that every morning now I can't walk across the street to my sisters house. I appreciate everyones input and advice, I know little of what works to help naturally heal or ease pain. I just usually default by taking nothing. I do not have any prescriptions I am taking I do not usually allow myself to take anything unnatural.  :-\

Offline ladyhen

• Master
No one is trying to challenge or belittle your experience or illness, Candy.  Many of us have gone through a similar experience to get to the point of trusting natural medicine.  For me, I know, it took a diagnosis that left no hope for future healing before I began to listen to people telling me about other doctors, other methods.   

What we are offering you are some options for you to think on and explore. 
There are two schools of thought in treating the body; allopathic and holistic.   You have been seeing allopathic doctors who use the methods that they have been taught to try to find the things that they have been taught to look for.  This is a good way to go for some conditions.  When I broke my leg and needed surgery, I went to an MD that specialized in orthopedic surgery. 
However, for attaining and maintaining good health I prefer a holistic approach.  This includes chiropractic, herbal & homeopathic, naturopathic, and other methods.  These methods are also a science requiring a lot of study and specific diagnosis.  Herbal medicines can be powerful.
As one of my children and I have life-threatening conditions that we are being treated for by a natural practitioner (after many years of being told there was nothing wrong or being given vague diagnosis), I take natural medicine extremely seriously.  I rarely just guess at what is wrong and just make an herb tea for something.  And, yes, my condition has caused extreme symptoms that most people would have been hospitalized for. 

The point is -- Doctors, even at MAYO clinic, just don't have all the answers.  They are limited in their view of illness to what their focus or interest is.   There are other kinds of doctors.   You may want to consider one.  They would use different tests and methods to look for causes. 
Please take boysmama's recommendations for supplements and I pray that they will help.   The book recommendation is a great suggestion as well.  That's a start.   There is no magic tea.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
I could see the value of a second opinion if a natural path dr was available to me. Here where I live there is none. I had a neurologist and 2 conventional drs diagnose and a team of psychiatric drs who looked over my case when nothing came up. I am beyond frustrated at this point with my current state of being and every way I turn is wrong. I have a family member pushing anti depressants and anxiety pills because of their experience with mental illness, I have a husband being so proactive to "fixing" me with therapy that he thinks I am ready to deal with every little thing that happens I'm not allowed to be frustrated, I'm not allowed to be upset, everything everyone says is supposed to be dealt with emotionally I'm drained. I don't know what to think anymore. I go for a walk and my legs and balance go away right there. I lose my sight I can be doing dishes and my vision blurs out and my legs give out and I can't do anything but sit. I am depressed in a not in a clinical term. I have hope though. A great hope in the Lord. If everything they looked for was wrong, although some of what they looked for was in question, where do I begin now? I do believe in solid diagnosis of mental disorders having studied the scientific approach to them without a bias of personal opinion. Such as schizophrenia where the brain has holes in it that are visible through a CT or MRI. Most people are misdiagnosed in this country for mental illness because its done by practitioners who are not trained to diagnose mental illness.

I don't know what to think or do anymore, I just want my legs to stop hurting, my vision to stay normal (I am half blind already and that is not helping) and I am sick of crying all the time either because of pain, or helplessness in this nightmare I can't seem to wake up from! I mean no ill thinking on behalf of anyone trying to help. Right now I feel I either defend whats wrong, explain whats wrong, or spend all my time and energy into figuring out whats wrong if the Drs are wrong, and none of this seems to get me feeling or living normal again. So much of me just wants to die, and then I look at my 4 children and know they are worth living for. Far better is it to be with the Lord, but I desire to be used by God for the sake of my children. . .

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
If your diagnosis is what you say it is, do you think supplementing with "brain foods" would help improve your condition?
A lot of people with mental disorders(not saying you have one at all) lack B-vitamins, healthy fats, and vitamin C.
Do you take Cod Liver Oil?  Or any other fish oil? Do you get enough healthy fats: avacadoes, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, flax oil?  Have you reduced inflammatory foods such as: trans fats, sunflower, safflower, canola, and soy oils? Do you eat grass fed meats and dairy from organic grass fed animals? These things really do make a world of a difference in the way a person feels physically and mentally.
 I would recommend taking some gingko biloba and ginseng tincture 2-3x a day. It's not that expensive, and it can help open up the vessels in your brain.
Superfoods that are high in antioxidants: blueberries, goji berries, noni juice, spriulina, wild caught Alaskan salmon, pomegranates, spinach, garlic, tomatoes, dark chocolate, etc (okay, now I'm just hungry lol).
The fungus/shroom cordyceps is supposedly doing wonderful things. You can get that from gardenoflife.
Here are a couple similar threads that deal with depression, if you want to look at supplementation:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1603.0.html
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?topic=1784.msg14332#msg14332
Don't give up!  You are probably really close to your break-through. And personally, if it were me, I would laugh at the mental diagnosis and start looking into brain/neurological disorders. HTH!  ;)

Offline sevendaisies

• Learning
HealthyinOhio,
Hmmm lots to consider! I take flaxseed oil daily as well as supplement alfalfa I have been taking for a long time a prenatal vitamin and pau d arco tea because I had kidney failure last year. I only use olive oil would use coconut oil if there was a local place to purchase it. I do not eat hardly anything with trans fat or soy, I am not a fan of soy anything. I eat as much organic as possible where I live there is only a small organic section of the most popular grocery stores, no individual health food stores. I have decided that this year I plant fruit trees, next year I do a garden! Only way I think we will truly get organic fruit and veges back in our life! I eat lots of garlic and tomatoes in my daily diet. I have a weakness with fruit that I am trying to over come, I have never liked fruit. I do not eat junk food. I rarely eat anything sugary. I can not mentally get myself to eat any fungus or mushrooms of any kind, take a LOT to get me to change that!  :) I used to cook mostly from scratch lately I have a hard time cooking anything, but I mostly eat Mexican food.

I used to take cod liver oil but I have not in a long time, not exactly sure why I stopped but I could easily obtain and take that again. I know it could be of use to me. . .

The first time the Dr told me it was a mental illness called Conversion Disorder I told him he was wrong and to leave. He was going to remove himself from my case but the second time he came in after exhausting another effort in trying to find something else wrong with more blood work and a spinal tap, he was convinced it was CD a long with the psychiatrist and neurologist, and again I told him he was wrong and that I was not crazy! Weeks I have spent trying to understand CD to decide if they could be right, before I was accepting of the diagnosis. I am trying to not be to solid and consider more then their opinions of what is going on, but trying to not be to closed minded to mental illness as I have been all my life. So I fear I am in a rock and a hard place... not sure which way to turn.

For now I am going to try and do some dietary changes, possibly a cleanse, and then look at the bulkherbstore to see if any pre made products are available to treat some of my symptoms that are making my life a miserable existence. From there I still leave it in the Lords hands and seek to move forward one day at a time.

Thank you for your insight!

Offline 6psnapod

• Learning
I have been informed that I need psychotherapy and physical therapy to get better. My problems still lies within my brain and I have accepted that, but I have high anxiety levels and co-morbid depression which I once did not believe in.

Dont' remember if you addressed this and if I sound harsh it is not my intention I just heard the desperation in your  post #25 and it was scary and so sad:

If you went for conventional testing in a hospital and accept the conventional allopathic diagnosis of CD have you seriously considered trying their prescribed treatment? It just might help. You can still try natural products/treatments at the same time

You don't need to take any prescribed meds if you don't want to either. It sounds like you are at the bottom and nothing else is working, so maybe it can't hurt and you can always stop or find someone else if you are not comfortable with the therapist you see.  You  seem close to rock bottom with your last post and I would think any help especially that prescribed by those who diagnosed your condition would be a plausible treatment to at least try.

You say you are not "so closed minded to mental illness anymore" how about giving those who treat mental illnesses a try? There are some excellent Christian counselors out there too- from the extremely biblical Christian viewpoint to the more liberal Christian viewpoint.

Are you doing physical therapy? Did you try it?

Remember, no matter what you try it will still be in Lord's hands and He can still guide you!

I'll keep praying for you!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:05:29 PM by 6psnapod »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
HealthyinOhio,
 I had kidney failure last year.

Okay, this is different. Were you diagnosed with this after your CD diagnosis?  Is it a normal symptom of the CD to have kidney failure?
The cordyceps fungus is in a capsule, so you don't have to worry about tasting it.
I am assuming that this isn't a demon possession thing, because you are born-again, right?
Hmmmm.....still thinking......