Author Topic: Help dealing with and recovering from Henoch-Schönlein Purpura  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Jessie

• Wide Eyed
I have a friends whose 4yo dd has been diagnosed with Henoch-Schönlein purpura?
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980800ap/980800b.html

Has anyone had any experience with this and know some way to treat it or help in recovery?

The family has a healthy diet including raw milk and whole grains and many organic foods. They do have a dog in the house. Prior to this the little girl did not show any signs of being allergic to any foods.

Right now the symptoms include welts that raise and then become bruises on the skin covering the lower half of the body. Ankle and knee joints swelling and becoming painful, fever and general feeling unwell. Most of the symptoms increase through the day peaking in the evening hours.

Any advice and information would be helpful.

Jessica
Happy, busy homeschooling mama to 6 little kids and wife to the greatest husband in the world!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
Re: Help dealing with and recovering from Henoch-Schönlein Purpura
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 07:17:38 AM »
Jessica, it would be good to consider Lyme Disease. The article you linked is typical of the many conditions that people are so often misdiagnosed with because Drs. are not taught how to look for Lyme. In the HSP description... "immune system doesn't fight"... "Its exact cause is unknown"..."Doctors don't know how to prevent HSP yet"..."There is no specific treatment for HSP"...

Lyme is a severely inflammatory disease and causes all kinds of problems within the blood. Its always worth it to get tested for Lyme because left untreated can become a chronic condition.

Finding a LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Dr.) in your area is the best way to get a diagnosis because clinical diagnosis is more accurate than most tests. If there is no LLMD available, then the best test to go with, that most LLMDs use, is the Western Blot done at the IGeneX lab. www.igenex.com You can order a kit from their site, take it to any Dr. to draw blood (some of them will think you're crazy and try to refuse) and mail it to the lab yourself.

One other question- When did symptoms start?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:23:27 AM »
BTW, swelling of ankle and knee joints in children is super, super classic of Lyme.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:23:12 AM »

the following is a quote from the article you linked to

HSP is caused when a person's immune system doesn't fight an infection like it's supposed to.

This "screams" autoimmune disorder.  This tells me toxicity and malnutrition.

Check this article for more info.

http://bulkherbstore.blogspot.com/2009/06/lou-gehrigs-disease-and-help-for-other.html

My favorite herb book!!

Offline keeperof7

• Learning
  • Soaking in summer!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 02:13:20 AM »
Last week our 5 year old son had a respiratory illness (cold with cough) Then several days later he complained of pain when he walked, next day his  right ankle/top of foot was all swollen. This was swollen for 2 days and was very painful to the touch or with any movement. The following day he started having stomach cramps with nausea, and throwing up, I think 3 times in 4 days. The swelling moved from one ankle/foot to the other. The right foot returned to normal with the pain going away. Next the swelling moved from the left foot to his knee and then even his hands. His stomach cramps continued for 4-5 days where we basically kept him hydrated. Yesterday His swelling went to his right kidney, and he developed a rash from the waist down,red raised bumps that do not itch. The stomach pains are gone and he is eating.

I have a friend that is a nurse that I have been consulting with along through this and although we have not been to the doctor for diagnosis the symptoms match Schonlein Henoch Purpura
from what I have read, this is what it is...

"Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) is a form of blood vessel inflammation or vasculitis. There are many different conditions that feature vasculitis. Each of the forms of vasculitis tends to involve certain characteristic blood vessels. HSP affects the small vessels called capillaries in the skin and frequently the kidneys. HSP results in skin rash (most prominent over the buttocks and behind the lower extremities) associated with joint inflammation (arthritis) and sometimes cramping pain in the abdomen. Henoch-Schonlein purpura is also referred to as anaphylactoid purpura."

"HSP occurs most often in the spring and frequently follows an infection of the throat or breathing passages. HSP seems to represent an unusual reaction of the body's immune system that is in response to this infection (either bacteria or virus). Aside from infection, drugs can also trigger the condition. HSP occurs most commonly in children, but people of all age groups can be affected."

Henoch-Schonlein Purpura At A Glance

* Henoch-Schonlein purpura is a particular form of blood vessel inflammation called vasculitis.
    * Henoch-Schonlein purpura frequently follows an infection of the throat or breathing passages, but it can be induced by certain medications.
    * Henoch-Schonlein purpura causes skin rash, pain in the abdomen, and joint inflammation (arthritis).
    * The treatment of Henoch-Schonlein purpura is directed toward the most significant area of involvement.
    * The prognosis for patients with Henoch-Schonlein purpura is generally excellent.

Right now I would like any help with knowing how I can support his joint swelling/inflammation especially with his kidney. I have a batch of elderberry / bilberry tonic going  and I have been giving him dead sea salt baths to help gently detox. I would appreciate any advice in how to help his body heal and then also in the long run what to do to help his immune system recover.

Prayers would also be appreciated, this condition is said to last 4 weeks or so. We are moving in 5 weeks so things are a little stressed around here from that already.   :P :-[ Thanks!  :)

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:45:30 AM »
Maybe you could also do bentonite clay in his bath and maybe even internally to help detox him. There is also something i have been using on my goats which is a zeolite powder (volcanic clay) that is supposed to be very helpful at detoxing (I bought it from www.iherb.com). Comfrey compressed around the joints may be helpful too. Oh and calcium/magnesium, like bone-ami from www.beeyoutiful.com may be helpful too.
I am so sorry you are having to go through this at moving time, UGH! Well, if I think of anything else I will post again.   
Tennille

Offline keeperof7

• Learning
  • Soaking in summer!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 08:48:01 AM »
Thanks Tennille, I was thinking Bentonite clay would be great and I have some. I could easily do the baths but I'm not too sure how to get it in him internally. There is no way he would drink it...I can't even do that :P I take it in capsules with a bunch of water, however he can't swallow capsules either.   

I have bone-ami so I will start that. I am giving him raw ACV, 1 tsp. 3 x daily,  kombucha, and  lots of water with lemon to help support his Kidney. His back is swollen on the right side with tenderness. I'm wondering if a compression of something would help over his kidney... ??? I think it is most important with this illness to support the kidneys. In the evenings is when he is in a lot of pain with his joints and kidney. It is hard to move him and he refuses to walk, poor guy! I've been giving him dead sea salt baths/Epsom salt baths with eucalyptus essential oil...he likes these.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
Melanie

Thanks for the info about the zeolite powder, I will look into it.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:02:06 PM »
You might want to look into Medical Baths: http://publications.imva.info/index.php/e-books/sodium-bicarbonate-magnesium-medical-baths.html

Castor oil packs over the kidneys and teas made with kidney-specific herbs would be helpful, too.

The joint pain may be a reflection of less filtering than usual by the kidneys.  I would consider a low-protein diet for a while to take some of the burden off the kidneys.

Offline keeperof7

• Learning
  • Soaking in summer!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »
Thanks DHW, can I get some instructions for the castor oil packs, I would like to try this.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 05:01:27 PM »
From herbalmom:
Castor oil applied to the skin is used for lymph gland swelling. Normally for lymph glands it's used as a Castor oil pack (soak a flannel cloth with Castor oil, lay over the lymph gland, cover with plastic & a warm wet cloth to keep it warm & let sit) but it can also be applied all over the skin like the bag balm would be. It's a thick oil so it will help keep the skin moist as well. Look for a organic, cold pressed Castor oil. NOW is one brand that's available at health food stores.  

Also, Castor Oil

Castor oil can be applied over a painful area, just a light coating of oil, or as a warm pack.

A charcoal poultice could also be used over the kidney area.  Sprinkle dry activated charcoal over a damp paper towel and fold up to keep the charcoal contained.  Place over the painful area.  Keep moist.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:08:59 PM by DHW »

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 11:19:27 AM »
I forgot to mention Beet Kavas. There is a recipe in the Nourshing Traditions cookbook. It is used to clean the kidneys. She evens remarks that if a person is having allergic reactions to Kombucha, that they should stop drinking it and drink the beet kavas for a few weeks.This may be very helpful in your situation. I am not near my book right now, but will try to post the recipe later tonight. I would maybe suggest stopping the Kombucha anyway....how long has he been dealing with this and does it at all coincide with starting to drink Kombucha? I am not saying that there is necessarily a correlation, but a possibility. it helps to look at everything I guess.
Tennille

Offline keeperof7

• Learning
  • Soaking in summer!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 04:12:15 PM »
I have made Beet Kvass in the past and I also have the Nourishing traditions book.
We have been drinking Kombuncha for several years. I have been giving him his ACV in Kombuncha because then he doesn't notice it. He is so much better and has been improving daily.  I have noticed the swelling in his kidney is gone ;D

This is what I have done,

Bone-Ami
dead sea salt / Epsom salt baths with eucalyptus essential oil
Liquid Chlorophyll
Vitamin D3
Castor oil packs on the kidney for swelling
grape juice with 1 ounce kombucha and 1 tsp. ACV  3x daily
low protein diet, no processed foods/refined sugars
probiotic
When his stomach cramps were so bad and he was vomiting he refused food for 5 days. We kept him hydrated with sips of water, homemade pedialite (banana, 1/2 fresh squeezed orange, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 Tbsp raw honey and ice cubes to equal 1 Qt. water. Mixed it up like a smoothie and gave him a few spoonfuls at a time) Also frozen apple / grape juice like a Popsicle.

what would an allergic reaction to kombucha look like? We don't drink it daily, but it is a part of our weekly diet. Out of all my kids my 5 year old loves it best and will ask for it. Thanks for all the help ;)

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 04:37:25 AM »
Sounds like you are doing great. Sometime sit just takes a while to get over these kinds of things naturally, but in the end you are stronger rather than weaker when you use chemical remedies. You are clearly working hard at trying lots of things....just keep at it.
As for the Kombucha allergy....I am not really sure. I guess just like itching, feeling of slight tipsiness (I know when I was drinking it, I would feel really sleepy right after and even a bit tipsy - bit light headed and flush in the face). I think I needed to cleanse my kindeys a bit better before consuming it.
If you all have been drinking it off and on for that long don't worry. The last thing I want to do is increase your worry. Just keep praying and being diligent with thte things you have chosen. Try the Kavas though...especailly since his kidneys are affected.
Keep truckin', sometimes it is a long haul. At least your son seems willing....the poor thing. I will pray for patience for him and you.
Tennille