Author Topic: Lower Jaw Shifted Forward Causing Constant Pain  (Read 1703 times)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Lower Jaw Shifted Forward Causing Constant Pain
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:38:28 PM »
I've posted before that I have really bad teeth. As much as I would like to go get them all pulled & get dentures it just hasn't been in the budget & like most moms, I put off what I need in favor of what everyone else needs. 

Until now, the problems I've had are cavities, gum infections, etc. I had good alignment, spacing, etc in all of my teeth- my problems all had to due with infection & decay type of tooth/dental problems. 

Now I have a new type of problem. 

My upper front teeth are mostly gone. (due to decay) A couple of months ago the last part of the top teeth that was overlapping the bottom teeth finally decayed away. A couple of days ago I realized that the pain in my face, jaw, neck & headache that I've had for the last couple months is b/c my lower jaw has shifted forward. Without my upper front teeth to block my lower front teeth (which are all intact) my jaw has shifted to where my lower teeth are now where the top teeth should be.

I know it sounds dumb that I didn't realize it was happening but I get so many headaches & I have chronic pain issues (not related to my teeth) & have had for years. Pain is a daily thing for me so I try to ignore it as much as I can.

It started with a sore/stiff jaw which I chocked up to TMJ. (I've had minor problems with TMJ before) Later the jaw stopped bothering me as much but I felt like I was coming down with a sinus cold but w/out the stuffiness- just the sinus type pain in my face. Lots of headaches during the whole thing but that's common for me. Then a constant pulling type headache that seemed to be caused by my neck being out- also common for me. Now at this point my whole face, head, jaw, & neck aches. It's been like that for probably a month but it's gotten much worse the last few days. I couldn't figure out what was causing it though until I realized that my jaw had moved. 

So I'm wondering if anyone has any info or ideas that might help. Is there any kind of moldable guards/appliances that I can get w/out a 'script that I might be able to gradually move my jaw back some & then continue to wear it at night to keep my jaw from moving forward again? Since it only took a couple of months for the jaw to shift forward I'm hoping that I can reverse it, at least somewhat. I thought I had read somewhere on WTM about something like that but can't find it & to be honest, my head, jaw, etc is hurting so much right now it makes concentrating difficult.

TIA for any help anyone can give. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Lower Jaw Shifted Forward Causing Constant Pain
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:44:41 AM »
Call your local medical supply dealer (wheelchairs, chair-potties, home-traction, etc.) and they should be able to tell you.
  My favorite herb book!!