Author Topic: Microwave Cooking: Toxic or Not?  (Read 18426 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Microwave Cooking: Toxic or Not?
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2006, 05:25:43 PM »
First let me list my credentials:  NONE!   ;D  So, you don't have to take offense to my disagreeing with this because I am hardly qualified.  But, i'm a woman so of course I have an opinion. ;)  All I know is that when I used to use my microwave in the kitchen, the radio in the living room (through walls) would turn to static.  I tested it by starting/stopping, using different stations, etc.  Any explainations?      ~L
Vaccuum cleaners and hair dryers will do the same thing.  Electromagnetic field I believe.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2006, 02:49:25 AM »

You get much more radiation/ electromagnetic exposure from a cell phone or an airplane ride than from your microwave.
I suppose that each person could be deemed "correct" on their personal belief for a microwave, since there is not a lot of scientific evidence to back it up.  Even Mercola states this on his sight.  He is only guessing like the rest of us.
So those that have rid themselves of it have done their family justice.  Those of us who have one and do not have any desire to rid themselves of theirs have done the same.  Until science can prove without a shadow of a doubt, we will keep ours for occasional use. 

i agree!   ;D  well said.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2006, 02:00:40 PM »
Okay, now I'm about to out-do you all.  Not only did we get rid of the microwave, but I don't use a hairdryer and although I have a cell phone instead of using a land line, I don't keep it on unless I'm using it because of the very issue we are discussing.  I also do not keep anything electronic in our bedrooms near our heads (although my hubby's alarm clock is in the farthest corner of our bedroom.); I don't leave my computer running; I turn around three times and click my heels before using the bathroom.....okay, well I don't do that, but I am pretty crazy!  So all of the comparisons and justifications don't make me feel much better about microwaves.  But, on the other hand I would never refuse to eat food served at someone else's home because it had been microwaved.  So, even for a fanatical, spaz like me there is a point when one must accept that we cannot control everything we are exposed to, so why worry about it!               ~L

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2006, 02:27:04 PM »
I turn around three times and click my heels before using the bathroom.....okay, well I don't do that, but I am pretty crazy! 
Boy, you are ornery today.  What's got you so wound up? 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
petrimama,

You are too funny in a weird sort of way!!  ;)

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2006, 05:08:28 PM »
Get two identical plants.  Make everything equal, place them in the same area, etc.  Water one with tap water and the other with cooled microwaved water.  One will shortly die...can you guess which one?  You can do this with seeds also.

****From http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/4108/P20/:

We have seen a number of comments on this, such as what was the water in the microwave boiled in. The thinking is that maybe some leaching took place if it was in plastic. It was boiled in a plastic cup, so this could be a possibility. Also it was not a double blind experiment, so she knew which was which when watering them. On top of that she was wanting the microwaved ones to do poorly, and although most scientists would dismiss the idea, it is possible that her thoughts toward each plant had an effect as well. Bottom line is, the results are interesting, and duplicate the results that others have reported (try Googling '"microwaved water" plants') more experiments need to be done with better controls and as a double blind study. But this was a simple 6th grade science fair project, and was never intended to be anything more than that. The plants were genetically identical, they were produced from graphs from the same parent plant, so that variable can be eliminated.

Intriguingly, the Straight Dope (a source I usually trust) has written an article about the controversy over microwave cooking, and he notes that scientists actually do not fully understand the chemical changes that take place when food is microwaved, and so there may indeed be some kind of "microwave effect." He notes a 1992 Stanford study that found microwaving breast milk mysteriously reduces its infection-fighting properties, as well as studies that have found that microwaves can accelerate certain chemical reactions. He writes: "'One suggestion,' a bunch of chemists wrote recently, 'is that this is some form of 'ponderomotive' driving force that arises when high frequency electric fields modulate ionic currents near interfaces with abrupt differences in ion mobility.'" He doesn't attempt to explain this theory.

I would repeat the girl's experiment myself, but everything I try to grow mysteriously dies, so there wouldn't be much point. ****

I'm with this guy...my plants *think* I am microwaved water I guess  :-\

We may try this with a double-blind experiment.  Let's see, two of the kids could heat/cool water, the other two could water the plants and only Mom would know which plants were which..this could work.  However, I would need 6 plants from the same parent plant wouldn't I?  Two plants each for micro water, regular heated water, and just regular water....hmmm...this is getting complicated....

Peace,
Camille
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2006, 08:17:33 AM »
I could copy and paste the whole article, but you might as well go there and read it. Very interesting. We do not have a microwave, BTW. And if we come to visit, you'd better not "nuke it" for us or we'll suspect you of being a Nazi.  ;)

http://www.health-science.com/microwave_hazards.html

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline elif

• Learning
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2006, 08:49:44 AM »
well, if you read the article above you ought to read the article here by Center for Science in the Public Interest. I feel the article here is a bit more founded.
http://www.cspinet.org/nah/04_05/microwavemyths.pdf#search=%22microwaves%22

LE

Offline robin22

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2006, 11:00:51 AM »
thanks for the above mentioned links, I've been wondering about this topic.  Some other things to consider are: the value of heating food with flames, which the chinese consider to be of great value to a foods wholesomeness,  (They know alot about herbal medicine and foods as medicine), the fumes from gas stove cooking, the expense and reliability of using an electric stove, eg power failures,  and whether you're using the nuke to mainly reheat foods/ bevs, or are cooking meals in it. I hesitated for years to own one and we mainly use it to reheat.  They are economical as far as cost to run.  Yet they do still make me uneasy.  Guess I'll have to read some more.  Thanks again for the links in the above 2 posts.  Dorothy

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2006, 03:41:41 AM »
Here are some links on the microwave scares that I found on Snopes. 
http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
    • Daisy Blue Naturals consultant web page
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2006, 04:07:11 AM »

I already knew that and I'm trying to make the switch, but sometimes leftovers aren't that easy to reheat without one.  Hubby won't let me just throw it out so we HAVE to figure out another way, but I'm working on it.

We've just about eliminated using ours with one exception - the leftovers!  I end up having to use it about once a week.  If you do figure out how to heat them otherwise, please tell me!  I'm interested.  We used to use ours for everything until we read about the water experiment and that was it for my hubby.  But we've yet to come up with a good method for reheating. 

Patti

Most of the time I have found the old fashioned way of re-heating on the stove or in the oven works fine and tastes wayyyy better...Just add a little water
I use my Microwave sparingly as it seems most of us do

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2006, 04:45:29 AM »
I could copy and paste the whole article, but you might as well go there and read it. Very interesting. We do not have a microwave, BTW. And if we come to visit, you'd better not "nuke it" for us or we'll suspect you of being a Nazi.  ;)

http://www.health-science.com/microwave_hazards.html

Rebekah

I LOVED this article.  In fact I passed it on to many friends and family members.  Thanks so much for posting it!         ~L

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2006, 05:16:12 AM »
My husband microwaves EVERYTHING. If he brings home a fast food sandwich he has to immediately take it home and heat it till it's dripping with juice. His food must be PIPING hot.  I'm glad this is up in the air, because if I told him I wanted to get rid of the microwave I'd probably have to get rid of my husband too  :D

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2006, 07:10:18 AM »
because if I told him I wanted to get rid of the microwave I'd probably have to get rid of my husband too  :D

Oh dear...  It is much better to please your husband than to insist on your own way in health/food issues.

The house that we will not have a microwave in it.  Now I really gotta make a decision....  Do I buy one or not?!?!

My husband wouldn't mind giving it up if I wanted, but he'd probably let me buy one too.  (Our thrift store has one cheap.) 

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2006, 06:34:12 AM »
I read this thread a while ago....and it has been gnawing at me.
When I was a little kid my Dad would flip out if I stood too close to the microwave....now I know why.
So, I have been doing some kitchen rearranging.  We have a lot of space above the cabinets (tall ceilings).

So, look down to see where my microwave lives now.  :D :D :D
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2006, 06:35:46 AM »
LOL, that is TOO CUTE!  You crack me up KristenA!

--KristenB
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2007, 02:30:36 PM »
I am convinced that microwaves are harmful too, but I think it a greater victory to tell you gladly that we have one. Want to know why? 'cause my dad wanted one. It is such a relief to let him make the decisions around here  :). Thought this might encourage any of you who have husbands or dads that like convenience and aren't as "extream" as us.  ;)

Also, I remember a bit of advice someone told me a while ago. It helps if you can stand away from the microwave while the microwave is running. I've heard 500ft, but can't usually make that ::)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:36:47 PM by naturalgirl »

Rena

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2007, 03:08:14 PM »
I received this email a few years back and had to try it for myself. My results were the same as the others here who tried it. The plant did just fine. Doesn't it make you wonder why someone would go to all the trouble of making the hoax (and pictures) up and sending it out?

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2007, 03:36:32 PM »
We haven't used a microwave in probably 4 yrs. I really don't miss it now that I am used to not having it. We usually eat our leftovers cold  (drives my mother crazy, she can't stand cold leftovers!) or reheat them on the stove. When others come over they are at a loss that we could function without one! It is rather funny to see peoples responses to doing without what most think is a necessity!

Offline beesbabe

• Learning
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2008, 12:45:25 AM »
I usually heat up my daughter's bowl of home made baby food in a steamer.  I suppose you could do this for larger quantities in a larger dish and steamer. 

I always have her steamer set up on the stove with some water in it so it's easy to warm up her food. 

Offline elizabetsy

• Learning
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2008, 12:15:06 PM »
i know it's been a while since anyone posted. i recently read taht microwaving in plastic releases formadihyde (sp) into the food. i try to only use glass. We have lived succesfully w/o one at times.
What a bout wattage. Ours is currently very old, so it's not as powerful, but that means food is in there longer.
What about warming up food at work. We only have microwaves avaliable, unless you want to eat cold food every day.
Lastly, for popcorn, get a whirley pop. They are great, use very little oil and kids love them. see www.wabashvalleyfarms.com . We received one as a wedding gift. It is a large stock pot, but the lid has a "whirley" mechanism that prevents sticking and mixes with less oil.

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »
You know, as I was typing that, I thought it's probly bad to do butter too.  I would LOVE to get rid of mine.  It would really free up some cabinet top.  ;D  I have said to my husband b/f we need to get a smaller one but if all I do is reheat coffee in it from now on.......I might as well not have it.  Thanks for telling me about the butter.  Why buy real butter if I am ruining it in the "wave" huh?  Anyone want to buy a microwave?  HA!  :D

this WAS the only reason I could really come up with to keep our microwave, not much of a reason but as I was not sleeping one night, I was trying to think of everything we use the microwave for and an alternative way of heating that particular item.....softening butter was the only thing I could not think of a substitute way of doing.....now I am just grossed out about the molecular change in my real butter......geesh!  And thanks...even though this thread is a little old I am finding it quite useful today.

Note to self:  clean out microwave and give to Goodwill
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2009, 04:42:06 AM »
No one likes hard butter, and being that we don't use a microwave, I shared your dilemma.  Now we use a marble butter bell, which I absolutely love.  They are available in many colors of ceramic for about $15-$30, as well.    ~L
Oh, and for coffee, you could keep a mug warmer plugged in near your morning place.  They are just tiny round hot plates.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2009, 04:55:02 AM »
We use our butter fast enough that we just put it in a butter dish and use it before it goes bad.
  And when we need melted butter just put in a saucepan.

Or you could mix softened butter and honey and put it in the fridge it stays spreadable. Just not good for everything.  ;)

Em

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2009, 04:50:55 AM »
good idea!

we normally go through butter quickly as well.

microwave has now been gone for two days....we are transitioning well and the kids say the leftovers taste SO much better when heated on the stove or in the oven. 

butter softening for brownies was done yesterday in a sauce pan...the only change really is MORE DISHES, but since laundry and dishes never truly end anyway, it's okay.
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com