Author Topic: Ovulation & Fertility  (Read 29372 times)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
Ovulation & Fertility
« on: June 19, 2006, 06:14:46 AM »
With all these wise women on here maybe someone could help me out. I have been either nursing or prego. for the last 3 1/2 yrs. at least. Before that we used protection, now i'm learning how my body works etc. so Lord willing we can go all natural. O.k. here goes. Iv'e slowly started weaning my son( he's a yr. old.) the last couple wks. He's been eating table foods for the last couple months. No sign of menstruation or much else or at least i was never sure. I did read a book that Debi Pearl mentioned, Love and Fertility i think, and it was very easy to understand and i loved finding out how my body works. I always knew the basics but....... anyway, a wk. ago i started having mucus, classic sign of ovulation, right, and i checked my cervix and it felt open so i'm thinking yeah here we go. But later that eve. it felt more shut, ( i know, be careful how you check it etc.) so i wasn't sure what to think. Anyway, i've been having "stuff" off and on for the last wk. and 2 days ago i had the low crampy belly and i was a bit tender......... i thot you ovulate for like 36 hrs. right? so what is going on? i'm not pregnant am i? :P

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Ovulation & Fertility
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 07:00:18 AM »
Have you ever tried taking your basal body temp?  It really is easy and answers a lot more questions, I think, than checking your cervical fluid.  A lot of ladies turn down the temp idea thinking that it is too difficult, but it is more simple. 
Buy a basal body thermometer at like walmart for eight dollars.  If you get up at a set time in the morning, then take it then.  If not, do what I do.  Set your alarm for like 6:30 a.m., push the thermometer button, take your temp(about 10 seconds) and then roll back over and go to bed!!  When you wake up, you can push the memory button and record your temp. 
The advantage of taking your temps over checking your cervix is you will know EXACTLY your day of ovulation.  Which varies around 12-36 hours.  Some months(especially toward the end of breastfeeding) you may or may not be ovulating.  So, if you were taking your temps, you would know for sure.  Then, if you are ovulating, reading your temps will tell you exactly if you are pregnant or not.  Also, it will tell you whether you had a miscarriage or not.  Before tests or doctors can tell you. 
I take my temps every morning.  Even though I can't get pregnant outside of a miracle, I know exactly what day I am going to start.  I know exactly what day I am the most fertile and it is nice to know exactly what is going on with my body. 
I never read the book Debi recommended.  But I know that Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler is the most exhaustive book I have found on the female cycle. 
You may want to contact a La Leche group or a local midwife and explain your question to them.  But in the future, try the basal body temps.  Hope this helps.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:03:01 AM »
So, am I like the only one who can feel it?  My ovary (left or right) hurts every month when I'm ovulating.   :o
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:58:51 AM »
When weaning a baby, hormones begin to change, and estrogen levels start to rise and fall like they do in normal cycles; at first the estrogen may rise high enough to begin to produce fertile fluid, but not high enough to cause ovulation. Kind of like it's practicing cycling again. If you want to know if you actually ovulate or not, I would try the temp. thing like H in Ohio suggested.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 10:08:08 AM »
Thank you guys. I guess i'll have to go invest in one those basal thermometers. Always thot they sound like a lot of work. ??? But you never know till you try, right?

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:25:46 AM »
Once you can read the chart  ::), it's no more work than taking 1 min. to take your temp when you wake up, and writing it down. The hard part about NFP, IMO, is predicting ovulation well enough BEFORE it happens. I guess I'm fertile for a long time, 'cause all 3 of our kids were "highly unlikely if not impossible" pregnancies. I guess that's leaving the back door open for God. He has a way of changing my plans   ;)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 10:43:21 AM »
Isn't that a fact. We used to want 2 or 3 kids, now we're up to 4.......... not exactly cool by the world's standards or by a lot of the "church" but if everyone had kids as cool as ours they'd want more too. They've changed me in so many ways. God knows what He's doing.

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 10:48:08 AM »
You probably already know this, but by the time your temperature rises, ovulation has already happened and its' "too late" to start abstaining if you are trying to do NFP.  Use your temp chart to help you figure out what your CM is doing for a few cycles.  I take my temperature every morning and check my CM; it becomes so routine that it's not a big deal.

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 11:11:36 AM »
I used this free trial, and we were trying to get prego. . . and it worked like a charm. . . told my sister. . . same thing. . . told my friend. . . same thing.  It works both ways, to concieve or to not concieve.  :)

http://www.ovulation-calendar.com/
I'm smiling! :D

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 11:44:09 AM »
I have one of those little microscope thingys. A friend of mine got pregnant using it so I don't reccomend it as a total soloution, but it's a neat little gadget! Actually, it's probably ok to predict the end of your fertility, but I wouldn't use it for the beginning.

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 01:56:51 AM »
microscopic things?  ???

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 02:30:49 AM »
You can get them pretty much anywhere, even Wal-mart. I got mine at Target for $20...it's called an Ovu-scope or something like that. It's a little microscope about the size of a lipstick...you spit on the lens, wait for it to dry and then look at it through magnifier (it even has a little light you turn on.) The pattern on the saliva indicates fertility. Ferns mean you are fertile. A friend of mine got pregnant because the ferns did not show up until the day after she was intimate with her husband, so it's definitly not fool-proof, but it can be a helpful little gadget. I'm thinking it would indicate safety at the end of your cycle, but not so much at the beginning.

Here is a link to a similar product:

http://www.menstruation.com.au/fertility/ovulitefertilitymicroscope.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 02:37:31 AM by KatieMac »

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 02:37:00 AM »
There's also a Canadian site that has fancy computerized fertility moniters for the Fertility Awareness Method. They are expensive, but sound nice.

naturalbirthcontrol.com

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 02:51:21 AM »
Those Lady Comp things sound great but OUCH! the price. May have to go to Target. I would love to just know my body that well and keep track of cycles but until i quit nursing and have some normal cycles...............i have a friend who has spaced her children very well by just keeping track of her cycles but she is also queen of organization and unfortunately i know myself too well. Thankfully i have a husband that is fully supportive however i want to do it. I guess i'll just take it to him and GOd and let them decide for me.

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 04:09:57 AM »
My baby is 4 1/2 weeks old and my husband and I are ready to resume marital relations.  I am nursing full time, so am unsure how my cycle is going to be.  How do I figure out when I am fertile without a cycle?  Maybe this has already been addressed, but I couldn't find anything.  My husband wants to try the Neem oil, but we want to do something else as a backup method.  This is our 3rd baby and we are not wanting another one any time soon, if ever.  I hope someone can answer this or point me in the right direction.  Thanks
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 05:30:04 AM »
Well you CAN get pregnant the first time you ovulate after you have a baby; I did.  I would not have planned it, but I am so glad that Gd worked it out that way.  My boys are best friends, and I like them being close (got pregnant when my older was 12 mos). 

Haven't had a cycle in 3 years now, and I'm not sure that you CAN know when your first cycle is going to resume, only when you are more fertile in the cycles after that.  But neem oil and the ladycomp, as well as a class on NFP (probably offered by a local catholic church), are the most reliable, healthiest, and most ethical way to go in my opinion.  We are also trying not to have any more biologically as we feel a very strong desire to adopt the rest, so I can relate.  That's my opinion.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 05:43:34 AM »
Jumping in with some leads on this one!  Two excellent sources of information about this are Focus On The Family - who have a series on natural family planning - and a book titled "Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing".  OH!!   Just thought of another one.  Check to see if there is a local chapter of the Couple to Couple league in your area or find them on the web.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 07:08:12 PM »
Someone already mentioned "Taking Chage of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler.  I've read it probably 10 times, and it never gets old; I learn something new each time.  Taking your temperature is extremely helpful to determine if you did in fact ovulate, if you are or are not pregnant, or if you're just bouncing around "practicing" for real cycles again--like I'm doing while nursing.  I'm a very unpredictable person when it comes to going to bed or getting up.  I don't always get my temp each morning, but by now that part is more of a back-up piece of information.  I like the idea of setting your alarm and taking it then, and if the alarm was on my side of the bed I might do that!  (guess it's time to talk to dh about that...)  Another option is if your husband gets up earlier than you, or even the same time, let him be part of the charting by remembering the thermometer for you, and possibly even recording the temp for you while you snuggle in bed for just a minute or two longer.

Understanding your own cervical fluid patterns is a must, too, and it's not hard.  This is one of the biggies for determining when you're getting close to ovulation, so you can plan either way.  I don't produce a lot of fluid, esp. when breastfeeding, but there've been a couple times (since this baby) that it was quite obvious that it was fertile quality.

My baby is almost 5 months old, and we're not ready for me to get pregnant again yet, although if it happened, we'd be okay.  My dh isn't ready to understand the "signs" of my cycles, (his brain is too full with other things) so it's up to me to be aware.  If it's not a good night, then I'd better wear something to bed!  ;D

I guess the most important thing to remember is that every woman is unique.  The ovulating on day 14 is not true for most women.  My cycles used to be about 34 days long; I'd ovulate around day 21-24 and then my period would start about 10 days later, not the "typical 14".  My sister, on the other hand ovulates right at the end of her period, and generally her cycles are 21ish days long.  Both totally normal!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 02:03:09 AM »
I guess the most important thing to remember is that every woman is unique.  The ovulating on day 14 is not true for most women.  My cycles used to be about 34 days long; I'd ovulate around day 21-24 and then my period would start about 10 days later, not the "typical 14".  My sister, on the other hand ovulates right at the end of her period, and generally her cycles are 21ish days long.  Both totally normal!

that is weird!  you just described my cycle exacty!!!  (34 days long, ovulating day 21-24, and 10 day luteal phase!)  I've been charting for 4 cycles now and I've been getting really worried because I also have low temps and I'm afraid that I may have hypothyroidism and low progesterone.  I hope this isn't personal, but have you had any problem conceiving?  I have been so afraid that my cycle is abnormal and even though we are trying to *not* conceive right now, we hope to begin having children in about two years.  It would be reassuring to know that someone with a cycle like mine was just fine.  Thanks!   :)

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 03:57:30 AM »
My cycles are like yours (ok, sort of), and I get PG very easily! Generally speaking, the longer your cycles, the longer your fertile phase.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:10:38 AM by dara »

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 08:26:24 AM »
I've been charting for 4 cycles now and I've been getting really worried because I also have low temps and I'm afraid that I may have hypothyroidism and low progesterone.  I hope this isn't personal, but have you had any problem conceiving?
My temps are also low; in fact, I ended up making my own chart with numbers down to 96.5.  I know the shorter (10 day) luteal phase is an indicator of low progesterone and is possibly bad because of less time for the egg to get established, but I haven't had any problems getting pregnant.  I did have one very early miscarriage after my 4th, but have since had three more with no problems.
I also worried about the thyroid problem because I had so many symptoms, and my mom and aunt have been on thyroid meds as long as I can remember (as children, we called it her "grump" medication.)  Always cold, poor circulation (Renaud's Syndrome), always tired, very low sex drive, etc.  But I've been tested several times, and I'm always in the normal range; the low end of it, but still "normal."  I guess I'm just lower in lots of things: low pulse, temp, blood pressure, etc.
I sure you're fine, but keep charting so you'll know what's happening.  One "plus" to having shorter luteal phases is you don't have to wait 16-18 days to know if you're pregnant!  And if you ovulate later, then you'll know your "due date" is actually a week or so after what the Dr. would tell you.
God made all our bodies to do the most amazing things, and yet we're still unique!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 11:11:57 AM »
You have no idea how much of a relief this is to hear!  I am so thankful to know this now!  I have had low temps as long as I remember - even as a kid, I never ever got high fevers.  A "high" fever for me was in the 99's.  The thing is though, that this is my only sympton.  I don't feel cold very often (even living in MN!!!), and especially since taking SuperMom, I feel nice and healthy and energetic.  I don't have any family history of a thyroid problem.  I am so glad to know that this doesn't necessitate a thyroid problem!  I've been praying about this a lot, and now I feel like my mind can be at ease.  If there is a problem later, then I will deal with it then.  Until then - I feel happy and healthy and will leave it at that!

THANK YOU LADIES!!!   ;D

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2006, 12:12:30 PM »
So, am I like the only one who can feel it?  My ovary (left or right) hurts every month when I'm ovulating.   :o

You must be really in-tune with your body!
My Aunt can feel this also.

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 09:08:18 AM »
Hi. I have a question along the lines of this topic, but it's something I haven't seen addressed anywhere. I've been charting (FAM - using body temps and cervical fluid to chart) for alittle over a year now, so I'm getting to know how my body is on a regular basis. Currently, we're using this as birth control, btw. (Man, these personal questions feel so embarrassing to ask!  :-\) This month and last month (month meaning cycle), I have had little to no cervical fluid. I am usually able to tell alot by my cf - increases up to ovulation and then decreases again afterwards, but nothing now! My temps are normal and I've gotten my period like normal, so what does this mean? Is this diet or vitamin related? Is something wrong down there? (No itching, irritation, pain etc. down there.) Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 06:02:03 AM by Sunshine06 »
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 09:34:35 AM »
This month and last month (month meaning cycle), I have had little to no cervical fluid. I am usually able to tell alot by my cf - increases up to ovulation and then decreases again afterwards, but nothing now! My temps are normal and I've gotten my period like normal, so what does this mean? Any ideas what's going on here?

Have you had a major change in diet recently?  That would be my first guess.  Also, are you trying to avoid pregnancy right now, or conceive.  If you are trying to conceive there are a few things that you could take to increase your cervical fluid.  But if you are trying to avoid it then I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Some months I have a lot and others I can not even tell.

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 06:01:34 AM »
Well, I am trying to avoid conceiving, so it's not imperative that I have cf. It was just a strange, sudden change and I wasn't sure if it indicated something. I ovulated late last month and my temps are always on the slightly low side so I'm trying to figure out if that's just how I am or if there is something wrong (thyroid problem, low progesterone, etc.). I guess I'll figure that out once I start trying to get pregnant! :) haha No diet changes, btw. I guess I'll just see what happens over the next few months.

Thanks! :)

PS. Out of curiosity - for future reference - what things increase cervical fluid?
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 06:51:56 AM »
I LOVE my LadyComp...that is the "machine" referred to by a poster above.  I know that the price seems prohibitive, but if you are using a barrier method or doing anything other than going au naturale, it will definitely pay for itself.  Plus the site that I bought mine from allows you to pay for it interest free over the course of a year at a payment of $37 per month.  What a blessing this has been for me, I am such a dummy when it comes to trying to make sense of charting on my own.  This takes the human error out of the equation.

You can find out more at www.naturalmethods.com

I really, really do love it.  SO easy, SO convenient.  Literally takes ten seconds and then tells me whether I am fertile that day.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 10:06:33 AM »

PS. Out of curiosity - for future reference - what things increase cervical fluid?

I have heard that EPO and green tea does.  Also, an expectorant would.  Especially, guaifenesin which can be found in most cough syrups.  Even all natural ones.  Good luck.

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 09:58:45 AM »
A friend of mine got pregnant because the ferns did not show up until the day after she was intimate with her husband, so it's definitly not fool-proof, but it can be a helpful little gadget. I'm thinking it would indicate safety at the end of your cycle, but not so much at the beginning.

Grrreeeeaaaat! I am using this Ovulite and I am nursing my 7 month old son. I read the book about Natural Child Spacing, I followed all the steps for keeping the fertility away. But while using this ovulite I am seeing "Ferns" which indicates ovulation...I see them about every 2 weeks...I still haven't had a cycle yet, but my midwife told me that I can get pregnant even if I haven't started my period. I don't know what all this means. I can't understand why I see the "Ferns" so often? Does anyone else have any expereience with this? We already have 5 and although we DO want more children, I would really like to wait a little while as the last one was pretty hard physically...

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »

You must be really in-tune with your body!
My Aunt can feel this also.

I learned to do this before my girls were born.  I could even tell you what time of the day I would start my period (within a 4-5 hour range) but wasn't able to feel it after giving birth.  Go figure.... It was sure nice to know!