Author Topic: Diatomaceous Earth [DE]: Internal Use for Livestock [Pets, Animals]  (Read 3321 times)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Food grade is supposed to be useful for internal parasite cleansing for humans and animals.  Some claim it helped them lose weight--I'm guessing from the loss of the parasites...
Please post results if you try DE for internal parasite control. I am skeptical because I was using it in the goats for parasite control and it did nothing ( as shown by fecal counts) During that time (about 7 months) we did have fewer flies, but am not sure that it was connected with the DE use. Still intrigued by all the positive claims, but less than enthusiastic at this point.  :)

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
Diatomaceous Earth [DE]: Internal Use for Livestock [Pets, Animals]
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 01:48:58 AM »
A family I know uses it internally when their little ones become infected with pin worms from eating dirt. I guess the mom makes it in cake, or other baked goods along with the flour? It's worked for them.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 04:45:50 AM »
FWIW,

I have had no luck when trying to rid one of my hens of worms.  I have always used it in their food/coop/nesting boxes and one hen developed worms in spite of this.  Then, I tried to separate her and treat with garlic/pumpkin seeds/DE and this did not work either.  So, I have no idea . . . . . This is the only bird that has developed worms for me before or since, so I'm not sure what the underlying causes may or may not have been.  We just culled her after many weeks of trying to help her. 

Many in the chicken world argue that DE will NOT work as a wormer because once they have eaten it it becomes wet.  The characteristic that makes DE effective against bugs is its ability to "cut" the exoskeletons of bugs with its sharp edges.  (It does not prevent bugs, simply kills them on contact)  Some say that once the DE is wet, it is not "sharp" any more.

I have had NO bug trouble in my feed when I mix lots of DE into the food for preservation purposes.  (I use DE when I buy individual grains in bulk for my own feed mix.)  It is used "dry" in this method.

HTH

Food grade is supposed to be useful for internal parasite cleansing for humans and animals.  Some claim it helped them lose weight--I'm guessing from the loss of the parasites...
Please post results if you try DE for internal parasite control. I am skeptical because I was using it in the goats for parasite control and it did nothing ( as shown by fecal counts) During that time (about 7 months) we did have fewer flies, but am not sure that it was connected with the DE use. Still intrigued by all the positive claims, but less than enthusiastic at this point.  :)

Offline CarlyB

• Adept
  • DD#2 with me
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:52:50 PM »
Does anyone else have any experience with Diatomaceous Earth? We are looking into it for our goats. I have read in a couple books that it is great but after the posts by boysmama and others I am not so sure about it. I would really like to hear about more experiences from WTMers.
Wife of Mr. Steady... wonderful hubby.

Mother to DD-9, DS-6, DS-4, DD-2, and DD- less than 1

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 06:14:02 AM »
I ordered the 50# bag to worm our goats from here...

https://www.earthworkshealth.com/detail.php?id=3

I ordered it last Tuesday night and it should be here tomorrow.

I found this recipe...

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/articles/debbie-osbornes-animal-worming-recipe

I'm not sure if I'll just mix the DE in their feed or if I'll try the recipe.

I'll post an update.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline stebs7

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 07:19:15 AM »
I knew that this stuff was used for storing grains and other foods - as it kills any insects that are in the buckets of grains.  Didn't know of its other uses - very interesting.  I would be interested in taking some myself to see what it does.  Is it dangerous to inhale this?  I mix up my different powders everyday (green barley grass, spirulina, glyconutrients, turmeric, C) and the powders rise in the air to attack me :)  Don't mind because I know they are safe.  Just a sneeze from time to time.

If anyone has a safe way of taking it, I would like to know.

Blessings, Nancy

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 06:31:04 PM »

I found this recipe...

I'll post an update.
I have tried with my goats sprinkling it on their grain-they ate around it and left the grain that was covered in it >:( I tried making a molasses "ball" and feeding that to them out of my hand-they ate part and spit the rest out! :-\ I thought of mixing it with water and putting it into a syringe and squirting it  down their little goat throats ;) Hoeggars(sp?) sells a pre-made natural wormer that is similar to the recipe at the bulkherbstore. It was reasonably priced too.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 01:20:21 PM »

I found this recipe...

I'll post an update.
I have tried with my goats sprinkling it on their grain-they ate around it and left the grain that was covered in it >:( I tried making a molasses "ball" and feeding that to them out of my hand-they ate part and spit the rest out! :-\ I thought of mixing it with water and putting it into a syringe and squirting it  down their little goat throats ;) Hoeggars(sp?) sells a pre-made natural wormer that is similar to the recipe at the bulkherbstore. It was reasonably priced too.

I ended up just sprinkling some in her feed 2x/ day for 7 days.  Cleaned her out and she is a healthy goat again.  Although I will probably have to treat her again as she is on another farm to be bred.

We've also powdered our animals with it.  My FIL has cattle on our farm that have lice. :P
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Larry

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 04:35:41 PM »
I have tried with my goats sprinkling it on their grain-they ate around it and left the grain that was covered in it  I tried making a molasses "ball" and feeding that to them out of my hand-they ate part and spit the rest out!

What kind of feed? We feed our goats & sheep sweet feed and I'm hopping that, if I get an even dusting, the cows will have to eat it.

:)

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 06:55:20 PM »
I have tried with my goats sprinkling it on their grain-they ate around it and left the grain that was covered in it  I tried making a molasses "ball" and feeding that to them out of my hand-they ate part and spit the rest out!

What kind of feed? We feed our goats & sheep sweet feed and I'm hopping that, if I get an even dusting, the cows will have to eat it.

:)
I just caught this post so not sure if it is relevant but for what it is worth we use an oat, corn, sheep pellet, molassas mix that our grainery mixes up for us. The recipe came from a friend that has a goat farm. The tick experiment is very interesting. Here in Michigan tick season is fast approaching.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
Re: Diatomaceous Earth [DE]: Internal Use for Livestock [Pets, Animals]
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
I mentioned to some of my fellow AK goat owners that I was going to use DE to chelate my goats from the large amounts of heavy metals I just found out I was giving them and also as a dewormer. They mentioned that it is only effective for the worms and parasites in the digestive tract, and not at all on others. Anyone have any info on this? It seems to make perfect sense.