Author Topic: Symptoms/Treatments for Ameobas (amibas) Parasites In Mexico!?!?  (Read 19088 times)

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
Symptoms/Treatments for Ameobas (amibas) Parasites In Mexico!?!?
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:43:07 AM »
Hi everyone,

This forum has spoiled me because I know if I post here one of you wonderful people will give me the help I need....

I am in Mexico right now. I have heard the word "amiba" or "amoebas" or however you pronounce it about a million times down here. But it couldn't ever happen to us, right? We are the "healthy" family, right?

Well, first it was the 4 year old... S.I.C.K... for a few days. Occasional puking, constant lethargy, diarrhea. Then it took ME! It was literally probably the worst sickness I have ever had. Puking, diarrhea, dry heaving, no strength, at moments lightheadedness. I could barely answer people. It has taken every one in the family except for my husband who was eating raw garlic with everything- even his coffee.

Normally I would just think this is a sickness and it will go away slowly. Even now, many of us our much better, but the StRaNgEsT diarrhea I have ever had in my life still lingers. It is the same for everyone. Thick black/green slimy and often mingled with blood!!!!! Not so much blood we are going to bleed to death but enough to make you worry. Especially in the one and a half year old. He had more blood than I am comfortable with on the toilet paper this morning.

Also, the four year old who was the first one to get it, and appears to be almost back up to par, but still has the diarrhea and last night vomited twice.

So here are my questions...

Has anyone ever dealt with this? Are these symptoms of amoebas? Or should I try to treat something else. Before I came down I made tinctures and one of them was walnut hull/cloves/wormwood but I am not sure how long it takes to kill amoebas, IF it is amoebas, and also will that mixture affect them? Maybe I should throw garlic in there too? Although, I am sure the 1 year old will protest :(

I would just start this tincture and see how it works out but considering I have kids so little I would like to be able to confirm the symptoms before I just randomly shoot at it our problems. I need these kids to regain their strength.

And also, as strange as it sounds to some, I think this might also be an attack of the enemy because it wasn't until my friends were **really** praying for me that I started to get better. And like I said before, we are normally SO SO healthy.

Thanks for ANY advice!
We need to get rid of this before we go any further south.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Symptoms/Treatments for Ameobas (amibas) Parasites In Mexico!?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 08:47:05 AM »
I am normally opposed to internal usage of grapefruit seed extract. But in this case I would recommend it...use carefully and follow up with probiotics. This is what finally cleared up something similar for me that I picked up in Africa.

If it is ameobas James Duke in Green Pharmacy saysthat goldenseal is more effective then Flagyl (metronidazole). He also recommends two herbs for amebiasis that seem safe...elecampane, and papaya seed. I don't know much about how to use these. A friend has also used papaya leaf.

Three others that need to be used carefully...
-ipecac root tincture 30 drops 1x. This treatment was approved by Germany's Commission E.
-goldenseal...1/3-1/2 oz. dried herb divided into 3 doses over one day. Consult a doctor and do not use if pregnant.  10x this dose kills half of those that take that much... be careful. Some recommend taking the compound berberine instead.  Barberry, Oregon grape and yellowroot have berberine and all need to be used cautiously.
-chinchona 1/2 tsp pwdered bark boiled in one cup of water for 10 minutes. 3x a day

As I have time (got animals birthing here  :))  I'll look up other sources.

Offline Elenita

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 08:31:50 AM »
Hi babymakers,
I feel for you. We live here in Mexico, living part time in a more central place and part time in pretty remote village. (We got electricity there about 3 years ago). Especially when we're in the village we've experienced what you're describing.
I'm pretty sure it is amebas, it could also be a bacterial infection - Shigella, but the onset of Shigella is usually more sudden and with fever.
Is there any lab nearby where you could take a stool sample? That way you would for sure know what it is.

If it is amebas, I'm sorry to say that for us, we usually had to take Flagyl finally if we had it really badly, because the other things didn't help. But I do know that for some people other things help, so I'll mention them here.
Grapefruit seed extract
Papaya seeds, ground, one tablespoon three times a day for seven days (I'm not sure if you can get you're little ones to swallow that one, maybe with a lot of jam around, I can hardly swallow it.
What I like to take are strong probiotics, but I think they are better at the beginning or for prevention (those who aren't sick yet), I'm sure they are still helpful to take later, but can't win the battle by themselves.
I also have a book called "Natural Medicine in the Tropics" Here's what I found (don't know why we never tried that ::)):
* Chop garlic into very small pieces and take 1 big spoonful together with some tea 3 times daily for 5 days.
* Mango leaves - take 1 handful of fresh young green leaves, boil with 1 litre (that's about 1 quart) of water for 30 minutes, filter and drink in portions during the day. Combine with asthma weed (if you know what it is, I don't), for greater effectiveness.
* Guava, for light cases: take one handful of guava leaves (i.e. the amount the patient can hold, or hide, in his or her fist) and add one litre of water. Boil for 20 min. in a covered pot, and then filter. Add more water to bring the volume up to 1 litre again. Drink in portions through the day.
- for serious cases, make a tea combined with other plants (see above).

So, I hope some of this is helpful, and you're getting over it soon.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:14:27 AM »
I have with me goldenseal, garlic, strong probiotics, and I can buy papaya in the market.

There is probably a lab in the city but I don't know.... Guasave. If you are in central Mexico you might know it.

Do you know if you can get grapefruit seed extract in the herb stores here?

Are we going to poop amoebas? Or will our symptoms just go away?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:15:43 AM by babymakers »
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
Also, is ameba poop normally watery? Something that makes me wonder is ours is more like slime. I have never, ever, ever seen any diarrhea like it before. That is part of what sends a red flag up.
Visit my-

Offline Elenita

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »
I'm more in the south, near Oaxaca, but I usually go to a doctor and he will send me to a lab. The only thing, it might be a little hard when you get the results to convince the doctor, that you don't want the medicine. At least here doctors are not used to this.
I don't know how the herbstores are where you are, but here you can't get a lot. I never could get Grapefruit seeds, but try it!

Here's what my medical book says about the symptoms of amebic dysentery:
* diarrhea that comes and goes-sometimes alternating with constipation
*cramps in the belly and a need to have frequent bowel movements, even when little or nothing - or just mucus - comes out
* many loose (but usually not watery) stools with lots of mucus, sometimes stained with blood
* in severe cases, much blood, the person may be very weak and ill
* usually there is no fever

We also had kids throwing up.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 02:55:33 PM »
I noticed that the people here are shocked that I don't want to run to the doctor. I tell them I take herbs and they just look at me blankly. I could only imagine what a doctor would say. I guess that is what happens when a medical consult is so cheap. I think the signs in town say 15 pesos or something. Well, maybe it is 150 pesos. I can't remember... but I think it was 15. Either way in american money that is either a little over a dollar or at the most $12 or $13 bucks. Cheap. I have never been to one.

Sometimes we feel like we have to go to the bathroom so bad, like it is going to explode out, and we sit down... and nothing. But normally it is just as you described it even with the blood. I have never had blood in our stools before. And it is mucus. Or more like slime. The 1 year old poops on his potty chair and it just lands in a glob on the bottom and then slides out when you dump it. So gross. I wouldn't be so specific but someone might come after us and need to read this so they can treat themselves.

We did have a fever for a while. But not a constant one. It is weird. Like you have a fever, and feel all hot, and then an hour later it is gone.

And weak. I sure do feel weak. The older kids are not showing weakness anymore but they still have odd stools. We do get cramps sometimes. Not a constant cramp. Just there and then gone again. Although they have gotten so bad I couldn't stand straight up. I just hobbled around hunched over.

I encapsulated some goldenseal tonight. I am going to take it, not the children. However everyone is going to do the probiotics. I chopped up garlic and put it in a mason jar with Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar so we can take that, and got some mango and guava leaves to make tea. Along with the wormwood, black walnut, cloves capsules and tincture I brought with me I don't see how these things could survive.

Will we see them come out?
Visit my-

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 03:26:19 PM »
Hi!  I live in Guatemala where amoebas, worms, parasites are all fairly common.

We treat our whole family with an over the counter medicine for "lombrices" every 6 months.  The medicine is not harmful, according to our mission nurse, only 5 % of the medicine is absorbed by your body.  Now, the diarehea definitly sounds like amoebas.   I know of a woman who had amoebas for quite awhile, she did not treat them and they ate holes in her intestines and she almost died.  Amoebas are nothing to mess around with, go to the doctor and do a stool culture, but in order for amoebas to show up, the culture needs to be done within 15 minutes after pooping!  Difficult.

If I were you, I would go to the pharmacy, get meds for the whole family for "lombrices" which are worms.  This is only a 1 day medicine and then 3 weeks later you can repeat it.   After that,  take medicine for amoebas and AFTER that, put your whole family on probiotics.   Get the bad stuff killed and then ingest the probiotics.   

I guess my name should be AmoebaMOM??!!??

Let me know if you have any questions, I have some pills here in my cupboard.  Jane

Offline Elenita

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 03:40:55 AM »
It sounds actually very much like what we experienced in the past. Especially the cramps and the running to bathroom without success.
Once I went to the doctor and she had me lie down, and than she pushed with her hands on my belly, or rather further down, around below your belly, where your intenstines are. She pushed fairly strong, and it hurt just terribly. She went all the way round to where the liver is, and then concluded that is hasn't reached the liver yet, but was on it's way.
So I had to take medication.
But since then I use that method too, if I'm not sure if it's amebas or not.

Offline Elenita

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »
How are you all doing, babymakers?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 01:52:14 PM »
Will we see them come out?
Not with the naked eye; they are microscopic.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
I think we are slowly getting better. Nobody is pooping blood anymore, except for the youngest one had a smudge in his bowel movement this morning. The movements are slowing down too.. it is nice not to be in the bathroom every half an hour. :) Not to mention fighting with the 5 other people to use the toilet. I think we had the busiest toilet in Mexico. And my colon feels much less inflammed too. Almost normal!

Our stomach cramps are also subsiding. We still have them but not so bad and so often.

The kids line up three times a day to take a spoonful of vinegar that has had fresh garlic soaking in it, then the tincture of black walnut, cloves and wormwood, a scoop of probiotics and some mango leaf tea. I had guava leaves but they disappeared. I will have to get more. The kids are taking herbs like a champ but I give them a small reward when they are done like a nibble of chocolate or something... nothing big. Just a small reward. Which we can do because our kids don't have access to junk food and sweets.

I am not going to get medication. At least not yet. I know some of you take medication for this stuff but I really believe God meant for us to take herbs. He said to use them for medicine in the Bible and I am going to give him a chance to prove himself again before I run to the pharmacy. **not that I am against docs... I just try to save it for emergencies... like the time my son swallowed a quarter and got it lodged in his throat.

I will let you all know how this works for us.

And also, I was wondering, as we are here longer, will our bodies get stronger and eventually be able to fight off these amoebas? How have people survived down here for centuries? Surely your system must get stronger... any thoughts?
Visit my-

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 04:16:07 AM »

And also, I was wondering, as we are here longer, will our bodies get stronger and eventually be able to fight off these amoebas? How have people survived down here for centuries? Surely your system must get stronger... any thoughts?
Maybe it's the spices they eat, not the body fighting it.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 04:53:49 AM »
Glad to hear you are all doing better, babymakers.  I think that as we are here longer in Guate, your body does build up more of a resisitance to the bacteria here.   It is interesting, there is an American woman who has lived here for 50 some years and has never had amoebas!   There are some families that never get sick and some families that are always getting sick.   Also, my aunt has lived in Guate for 30 plus years and she asked the doc why she is always getting sick (she has yeast problems to begin with and does not take probiotics)  and the natives don't, the doc said that the people here have all kinds of stomach infections, it is something that they deal with all the time. 

Right now we have a sister in the church who has been sick for months with diarhea, finally, yesterday dh took her to a doc who did a stool culture, the doc said it was a really bad parasite.   But, their living conditions are not very clean so...........

For our family, we have been living in Guate for almost a year and have done fairly well with stomach problems except our 1 1/2 year old.  But, he puts everything in his mouth!   Me and the 2 youngest take probiotics, the others did initially when we moved.   Also, when we wash dishes, we put a couple of drops of Clorox in the rinse water.   I am sure there is something else we could use in the rinse water, I want to look into that sometime.   Of course, we drink only bottled water and try not to eat street food. 

Take care, and let us know how you make out,  keep up the probiotics for a long time, it helps to heal.
jane

Offline Elenita

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 05:02:43 AM »
That's great that you seem to get better and don't have to take medicine.

Believe me, people here are fighting amebas too!!!
We as a family have been in Mexico for more than 10 years, and I think you get used to a little amount of amebas in your body. Just when there are too many it's a problem.
We haven't had amebas for quite a while, but we do disinfect our fruits and veggies that we eat raw with silver nitrate  (I think that's what it is).  But we did that always, even when we got amebas.

If we are in the village, where we are more likely to get it, I usually disinfect our dishes too.
And I did give the children probiotics at the slightest hint of stomach ache.
The main problem is that the little children are always putting their fingers in their mouth, so when they are playing a lot outside in the dirt, no wonder we have problems.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 08:47:34 AM »
Just wanted to mention that MMS (Miracle Mineral Supplement or sodium chlorite) would do the trick to kill the amoebas, and everything from bacteria to viruses to fungi. It is very effective and very safe. You can get it at www.mmsdr.com.

hth!

Edited: MMSDR no longer allowed to sell MMS. Instead, you can find it here: http://sodium-chlorite-supplier.com/order.html

Personally, we are stocking up b/c this is quickly going to be illegal to sell in the U.S. Just FYI.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:30:41 AM by Mama Sita »
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 04:57:54 AM »
So, what do the rest of you missionary moms do to prevent amoeba's, and other parasites?   For us, most of our family takes probiotic's and so far I find that we are fairly healthy here, lots of fresh fruit and healthy diet and beautiful sunshine, fresh air and exercise every day.   Also, washing hands before eating of course, we use Clorox in the rinse water for our dishes, also we try to keep the fingernails cut short to prevent germs.   We drink purified water and all of our fruits and vegetables get washed in Clorox water although I do want to look for an alternative for the Clorox.  Something that I can get here in Guate and don't have to order from the US. 

The hardest parts are when the native's offer us food, usually we are ok with it but ocasionally get sick.   The other hard part is our 1 1/2 year old who plays outside with the animals.
What have you found to help offset the beasties?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 08:54:10 AM »
It seems that increasing your salt (sea salt or pure salt only) intake and corresponding increased water consumption will eliminate many parasites.   There is growing evidence that lowered salt intake can cause health problems.

Pinworms

How to Kill Parasites with Salt

Lymephotos

Our daughter has used the salt and vitamin C treatment described in this last link to treat her chronic Lyme disease successfully.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mommyM

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 03:22:13 PM »
That is so interesting, my husband has just read an article from a former missionary who noticed that when he salted his food well, he usually did not get sick from the meals.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 06:19:31 PM »
When we had the amoebas really bad my body did STRONGLY desire limes dipped in salt. I brought my own sea salt down from the states. I was told that yodada sal is salt with floride in it from the ladies at the village. So I wouldn't use the normal mexican salt. Does anyone know if that is true that yodado is flouride?

And btw we are all completely back to normal without medication. I make the kids take a dropperful of tincture made with wormwood, cloves and black walnut on most days with probiotics and we are all doing well. I have also decided to use lots of lime on my food down here which tastes good anyhow,

I can't bring myself to bleach everything. I think there has to be natural ways. I could do hydrogen peroxide but not the bleach.
Visit my-

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 09:16:37 AM »
Good. Thanks for letting us know!
Are you aware/concerned with longterm usage of wormwood?

Offline Elenita

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »
Does anyone know if that is true that yodado is flouride?

yodado means that it has iodine added.

That's what a lot of people use here to steralize veggies and dishes, to put iodine in the rinsing water.
Others (that don't want to use bleach) use colloidal silver.
I personally used iodine for everything for a long time. But then I got to know a friend, who's allergic against iodine, and through talking I realized that my sleeplessness could have to do with too much iodine. So I started to use colloidal silver for fruits and veggies and tried to use salt without iodine. It's hard to get though.
Now, I realize I had many other issues, and so it did help with my sleeplessness, now that I got rid of most of my candida, and am eating healthier I can use the salt with iodine again without any side effects.
Hope that helps

Offline Deborah Selby

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 12:54:16 PM »
We live in a village in the copper canyon of Mexico.  The first three months here we were very sick.  I thought it was giardhia.  It (whatever it is) still flares up every once in awhile, but not often.  I thought that we tried everything...but nothing seemed to help much except charcoal.  Now whenever we get that yucky feeling, sulfur gas, or sulfurish burps, we take some activiated charcoal.  It nips it in the bud.  Also, we have had guests get sick and we gave them some.  It helps alot.  If it is giardhia, I think it takes time to kill it.  But you can.  Hope this helps.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
I agree with boysmama, goldenseal is best for protozoan infections. We use it in tincture form.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!