Author Topic: Septic and Root Vegetables  (Read 2611 times)

Offline benthere-donethat

• Learning
Septic and Root Vegetables
« on: February 04, 2010, 04:39:56 AM »
We are buying a house with private well and septic.  Yesterday, the County Health Dept told me that I should never grow root vegetables on the property (not just over the septic field) because of risk of E Coli.  Really?!  She said a raised garden would be okay, but that it wouldn't need to have a barrier.  This makes no sense to me, but I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
Re: Septic and Root Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
Sounds silly to me. Everyone here has a private well and septic, and we all grow root veggies... nobody has gotten e colli that I know of...
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:38:43 AM »
Sounds like you got yourself in a conversation with a super-edjumacated-professional-citified-county-office-worker who's more comfortable at a desk indoors (with bug repellent on and wearing sunscreen) than outside enjoying God's creation!!!!!!! 

Have they ever grown a garden? 

Eeks!!  And on the subject of poo, you probably ought not ever plant a garden, because there could possibly be bird, deer, mouse, chicken, earthworm, bug, bee, microbial and other poo bits that might get on your plants!  Safer bet altogether to just buy your veggies, because everything they sell at the grocery store is safe.  It NEVER has e coli on it.  You betcha!!    :D

Anyway, while I could possibly maybe very faintly agree with not putting your 6 foot long carrot roots into the top of your septic tank, I feel that other areas of one's yard (like uphill from the septic, maybe - like - DUH!) seems like a fairly safe bet to me. 

We've been doing fine here, even though we have a septic tank on our property. 

::)

We are buying a house with private well and septic.  Yesterday, the County Health Dept told me that I should never grow root vegetables on the property (not just over the septic field) because of risk of E Coli.  Really?!  She said a raised garden would be okay, but that it wouldn't need to have a barrier.  This makes no sense to me, but I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:41:32 AM »
That's hilarious.  I think you have nothing to worry about. 

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master

Offline benthere-donethat

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »
thanks everyone.  this is what i suspected! 

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 01:03:23 PM »
Sounds like you got yourself in a conversation with a super-edjumacated-professional-citified-county-office-worker who's more comfortable at a desk indoors (with bug repellent on and wearing sunscreen) than outside enjoying God's creation!!!!!!! 

Have they ever grown a garden? 

Eeks!!  And on the subject of poo, you probably ought not ever plant a garden, because there could possibly be bird, deer, mouse, chicken, earthworm, bug, bee, microbial and other poo bits that might get on your plants!  Safer bet altogether to just buy your veggies, because everything they sell at the grocery store is safe.  It NEVER has e coli on it.  You betcha!!    :D

Anyway, while I could possibly maybe very faintly agree with not putting your 6 foot long carrot roots into the top of your septic tank, I feel that other areas of one's yard (like uphill from the septic, maybe - like - DUH!) seems like a fairly safe bet to me. 

We've been doing fine here, even though we have a septic tank on our property. 

This is totally hillarious!!!!!!!!!   I agree 100%   Have been planting my root crops for 30 years only 100 yards from the septic tank.   Never had any trouble.   ;)
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 05:25:05 PM »
BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Lived all of my life (42 yrs) on propertis with wells & septic tanks. Always gardened. That woman is certified "city folk"

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 04:43:18 AM »
Though I suppose if you  have your garden close to your well, you'll want to make sure and do organic, so as not to put chemical fertilizers in your water supply.

Offline a11an49

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 11:50:33 PM »
I didn't know that we couldn't grow root vegetables in a property where we have our own septic tank!! We shouldn't grow it in the near vicinity of the septic but I think there is no harm growing it elsewhere in the property - at least, I am doing it for years and there is absolutely nothing wrong till now!! I think its better that you ask for a second opinion in the matter - after all it is regarding our health!!

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »
So if I can't grow veggies on my property because of a septic tank how can I drink the water from the well??!! (That is only required to be 100 ft away). I think I am going to call the ag. office here just to see what they say. :)

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 03:53:43 PM »
I think as long as you aren't growing right on top of the field you'll be fine.  Especially if you stay upfield.