Health Products > Around the House

Is bar soap unsanitary?

(1/3) > >>

Jemima:
I've been wondering this....  Trying to get away from using anti-bacterial soap all the time, so I put bar soap in the bathroom. But, man, that slimy soap bar sitting there, usually in a little puddle under in it in the dish, just doesn't seem very sanitary to me. :P

About every day I rub the soap bar all over under running water, and rinse out the soap dish, but I don't know that it does anything for all the germs that seem like they must be sitting on that soap bar.

Anyone have input on this? Can you even buy non anti-bacterial liquid soap? I've looked for it, at  Wal-mart and such, but everything is a.b.

boysmama:
I've wondered the same thing. Rubbing my hands over the same bar of soak as the last person grosses me out at times. I've tried to teach my children to rinse the soap before they lay it back down and a good soap dish that drains the water away helps.

You could look for handmade liquid soaps (maybe even a goat milk one  ;)) or a liquid castile. Some liquid soap sold as handmade may be a base that includes some chemicals, watch it, but there are some out there that are just saponified oils and maybe an essential oil scent.

herbalmom:
Dr Bronners is a good, basic, natural liquid soap you can get at HFS & some grocery stores. 

Here's some threads with info about liquid soaps:

What kind of soap do you keep by your sink?

Castile Soap: How, When, Why & How Much?

Homemade Dish Washing Soap

miamama:

--- Quote from: Jemima on February 03, 2010, 09:24:28 AM ---
Anyone have input on this? Can you even buy non anti-bacterial liquid soap? I've looked for it, at  Wal-mart and such, but everything is a.b.

--- End quote ---

We've been using the Wal-Mart brand Milk and Honey liquid handsoap b/c it's cheap and does not claim to be antibacterial.

tonysgirl:
Answers in Genesis website has articles on "Super Germs" and why you don't want to kill off all the "good little dirt germs" with antibacterial soaps, etc. What that does is kill all the somewhat ok germs and leaves the "super germs" which are really only mutants missing info to wreak havoc. That's why those bad staph etc. are in hospitals, it really is a too antiseptic environment. The one AIG speaker has an interesting testimony of being in the hospital for awhile with a hospital-aquired infection, and they told him he needs to go play in the dirt for awhile, and some real germs will kill off that nasty mutant, and he'll be good to go!
All that said to say, Yeah, touching soap that someone else touched can get under my skin too. But not to repeat miamama's advice- I also tell my children to rub the soap on their washcloth when they take a bath, and not themselves, then rinse it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version