† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Children's Composition Recipe and Recommendation  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Joy2BMommy

• Adept
Children's Composition Recipe and Recommendation
« on: April 19, 2006, 02:41:48 PM »
The ABC herbal was my start with herbs - I've found a new hobby!!  The first one that I made was recommended in there for children, to be used with almost any acute illness.

They call it Children's Compositions. It's equal parts peppermint, yarrow, and elderflower (the flower, not the berry). 

I made up some in glycerin and some in alcohol, then combined the two and it works wonders.  Even us grown-ups use it.  We give it at the first sign of anything and it usually wipes it out right away.  It has completely stopped oncoming colds and has made the flu very short lived and far more tolerable than we've experienced before.  It's a very easy tincture to make.  It tastes good as a tea too, so for those who don't want to take the time to make a tincture the herbs could be put in a tea ball and brewed.

Great Stuff!!

Debbi
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 03:42:30 PM by healthybratt »
Blessed mama of six kiddos with #7 on the way!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
Re: Children's Composition Recipe and Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:30:40 AM »
Ok, here is a great reccomendation... I mixed up my own version of Debi Pearl's immune booster...( the same recipe,just left out the peppermint)  then I mixed up a composition...(equal parts elder flower,  yarrow flowers, and peppermint)  I made them into a glycerite filling the jars half full.  My daughter was appearing in the early stages of a cold, so here's what I did.... I gave her and her brother ONE DROPPEr of composition,  and ONE DROPPEr  of the immune booster glycerite EVERY HOUR aprox.  all day.  Then the next day, I decreased the dosage,  the n the  next day I decreased the dosage a little more,  then  the next day I decreased the dosage a little bit more...ok you get the idea!! ;D  She never developed a cold like her baby brother got, I got and my husband started getting(  I quickly got rid of his within 24 hours,  by giving him immune booster, composition, echinacea/goldenseal tablets and elderberry glycerite)!!! :D  Aren't herbs great??

Offline kmw0373

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 08:37:58 AM »
How do you get your children to take the herbs?

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:21:27 AM »

I give my DD (2yo) the Children's Comp tincture - a combination of the Alcohol and Glycerine - and truely, she loves it!  I think the Glycerine makes it sweet enough to be enjoyable to her.  She also does well with the Sleep Sweet Tinc.  I've also made Immune Booster as a tea and mixed it with honey and a splash of milk.  She calls it "Milk tea."

But then, she eats raw garlic.  Maybe she's just wierd, like her parents  ;)
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:16:44 PM »
Where have you found elder flower?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 02:35:07 PM »
My first choice for herbs is the Bulk Herb store, but they don't have everything.  Penn herb company I highly reccamend.  I ordered 4 oz. of the elder flowers, wasn't too bad of price, and it will take me a loooong :D time to use that much!! Just type in Pennherb.com....At least that's what I think  it is.  How do I get my children to take herbs??  They literally BEG for me to give it to them even when their not sick!! ;D  I started out with Limited Edition herbs, and they taste even better than the homeade,  but my kids still love the homeade too. (except one glycerite batch I nearly burnt didn't fare as well :()  The lady at Limited Edition herbs I talked to said she doesn't go by DOSAGEs when giving children the liquid herbs, she said they are like little birds.  You can give, and give and give some more,  but when their body has had enough,  they will REJECT it.  They believe that is their body's way of saying,  "I've had enough"  This philosophy goes right along with  Steven Horne's way of thinking.  Read his ABC herbal there is alot of  down home simple herbal wisdom in that little book!! :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 03:36:02 PM »

If a herb mix tastes good ;D it's nice but I have always worked on the "because I'm the mom & I said to do it" method. Now I'm not saying that I do this w/everything in life but when it comes to medicine it can be necessary. I do add licorice root to some things & I make a garlic/honey syrup as a nicer way of taking raw garlic. If it tastes bad I try to get it into a small volume (tincture instead of tea) so they don't have to take as much & I always have water handy as a chaser. The kids may not care for the taste :P but they understand that it's something they just have to do. I just tell them that it's going to taste nasty :P but they need it & just get it over with. I know, I know, I'm a mean mom †>:( but I just asked them what they think of it now that they're older (12, 14 & 21) & they all said that they know it will work so the taste is worth it. They also said that the taste of even the worst stuff only lasts a few minutes & it's not a big deal. Just my .02.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 04:38:47 PM »
i agree!  just like if we weren't using herbal remedies that tasted bad, the cough syrup we had as kids never tasted good either!   :P  but our moms made us drink it anyway!  all the good moms are a little on the mean side right?   ;)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Joy2BMommy

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 07:23:40 PM »
My poor kids, they're always willing to try my concoctions and home remedies!!† I have to watch my youngest daugther, given the opportunity she's down a whole bottle of the composition† Our friends and family stand in amazement when the kids actually ASK to chew a clove of garlic when they're sick!† "Mom, Can you peel us some garlic?"† They take a sip of water, pop the clove in their mouth and chew it down.† My oldest two (11 and 9) are willing to gargle with cayenne when necessary - don't get me wrong, they don't like it, but they like to feel better when they're sick and they trust that we know what's best for them.†

Blessed mama of six kiddos with #7 on the way!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 05:32:32 AM »
I ordered 4 oz. of the elder flowers, wasn't too bad of price, and it will take me a loooong  time to use that much!!

Really? It doesn't sound like very much! How much do you use in a batch and how long does a batch last you?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 05:20:53 PM »
Maybe the 4 oz. elder flowers won't last as long as I thought,  the batch I made was about 3 cups finished glycerine tincture.  I thought that would last me a while, then I have at least enough of the elderflowers to make 3 more batches of the glycerine tincture... that's the composition formula...equal parts elder flowers, yarrow and peppermint.

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 08:03:08 AM »
I've been trying to figure out a recipe for cough medicine. I'velooked on Bulk Store and I only get confused. I need a recipe I guess. Any ideas?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 09:31:05 AM »
If you find or figure out a recipe, let me know.  On Bulk herb store.com there is an article by Debi Pearl that tells how to make a cough syrup with Mullein.  It is under the article about Mullein. Also, in the ABC herbal he tells how to make an almost exactly the same cough syrup as Limited Edition Herbs sells.  It contains wild cherry bark as one of the main ing.

Offline MamaKate

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 01:16:06 PM »
I've been trying to figure out a recipe for cough medicine. I'velooked on Bulk Store and I only get confused. I need a recipe I guess. Any ideas?

I have 2 dd , ages 1 1/2 and almost 3.  This winter they have been coming down with a cold almost every time they get over one    >:( - they'll go maybe a week with no runny nose and then it'll start all over again - and of course if one gets it the other does, too, no matter how hard I try to separate them :(.  The bad thing is that it always turns into a very bad cough and they've both had bronchitis, too.  Well, I made some of the "children's composition" - equal parts yarrow, peppermint, and elderflower (I also added some echinacea), and I also made an elderberry tincture.  I made them both 1/2 alcohol and 1/2 glycerite.  (these were the first tinctures/herbal remedies I had ever made)  The results have been amazing to me! ;D  Three weeks ago they both started with the runny nose so I started giving them the tinctures - nothing like regularly, but as often as I remembered to - about 1/2 tsp every few hours of one or the other.  They both got a bit of a cough but it cleared up before it got bad.  Three or four days ago the older dd started getting a runny nose again!  I've been more diligent about giving her the tinctures and I also have been giving it to the little one, and the runny nose is clearing up and the little one hasn't caught anything!  I am so thankful!

All this to say...I haven't needed the cough medicine!! :D
Mama to 6 Beautiful Bessings!

YoopreMama

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 10:22:53 PM »
Any reason why I couldn't use open up and use elderberry tea bags in this?

Do you heat it?  Let it sit?  I'll check my ABC Herbal...

And is the ratio of alcohol/glycerin 50-50?

:)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 01:37:27 AM »
Any reason why I couldn't use open up and use elderberry tea bags in this?

Do you heat it?  Let it sit?  I'll check my ABC Herbal...

And is the ratio of alcohol/glycerin 50-50?

:)
The tea bags should be fine.  The only thing I would worry about is potency, but if you've been using these successfully as they are they should work.
When I've done the mixture of alcohol and glycerin tinctures, I prepared mine separately and then combined them when they were both done.
I did a standard vodka infusion.  For the glycerin I did a cold infusion process with the glycerin diluted in water for about 2/3 glycerin to 1/3 water. 

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 02:01:33 AM »
Oh, thanks for the speedy, helpful reply!  :)

Offline aflora

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 07:40:57 AM »
Frontiercoop.com has the elderflowers

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 04:50:30 AM »
I am having very good sucsess with this formula!  We thought my  5 year daughter had Swine Flu, H1N1, so I started giving this to her1-4 droppers of Children's Composition aprox every hour, sometimes more often  It helped her headache, lowered her fever, and she improved in just over 24 hours.  I gave it to her for day 1 and day 2 aprox every hour, and on day 3-5 I will go down to every 2-3 hours.

Steven Hornerecomends 1 tsp per hour for adults, 1/4-1/2 tsp per hour for children age 2-12 and 10-20 drops every 1-2 hours for children under 2. He says more can be taken with No adverse effects

I wanted to copy Steven Horne's article on the Children's Composition...It is a good article and has clear dosage information.

Children's Composition

Effective herbal formula for colds, flu, fever, tummy ache and other ailments

For thousands of years, families relied on home remedies as a
primary way of dealing with acute illness. Today, many parents
take their children to the doctor for the slightest sniffl e. This is
unfortunately, as doctors are likely to simply prescribe a round of
antibiotics, which have no affect on viral conditions such as colds
and fl u. Over-the-counter cold medicines donít fare much better,
since all they do is relieve symptoms.

Fortunately, there are some traditional herbal remedies that can
really help. One of them is Childrenís Composition. The base of
this blend is three herbs which were used as a pioneer remedy for
colds and fl u. The same blend was also used by Native Americans
for similar problems.

This blend can be administered at the fi rst sign of cold, fl u,
fever, upset stomach, sore throats or any other acute viral-based
infection. It supports the immune system in fi ghting the infection
and helps to speed recovery. It can be used with other, more
specifi c, herbal blends for coughs and congestion and acts as a
catalyst to make them work better.

Here are the ingredients in this blend and what they do.

Yarrow
This versatile plant has many healing uses, depending on which
parts of the plant you use, but the fl owering tops have been primarily
used for treating colds and fevers. Yarrow fl owers have natural
antiviral and anti-infl ammatory properties. The volatile oil in the
plant reduces infl ammation and promotes perspiraiton to reduce
the heat of fevers. These sudorifi c and fever-reducing actions are
enhanced by taking yarrow with warm liquids.
Besides itís action against colds and fever, yarrow is good at
stimulating digestion. It can help to settle the stomch in cases
of fl u and promote appetite when it is weak. It is also helpful for
expelling intestinal gas to relieve colic.
Yarrow is also a mild urinary antiseptic. As an astringent it helps
to stop internal bleeding, especially heavy menstrual bleeding, but
the leaf is the part that is primarily used for these purposes. Yarrow
is also useful for relieving hayfever and varicose veins.

Elderflower
Like yarrow, the elder plant has many versitile healing properties,
depending on which part is used and how it is prepared. This
blend uses the fl owers, which are anti-infl ammatory and sudorifi c.
This makes them a great remedy for fevers, coughs and colds.
Elderfl owers tone the mucus membranes of the respiratory passages
and make them more resistant to infection. The fl owers have
been used for chronic respiratory congestion, respiratory allergies,
ear infections, colds, fl u, fevers, yeast infections and hayfever.

Peppermint
The combination of peppermint and elderfl ower is a traditional
remedy for the fl u. Peppermint is one of the best herbs for settling
the stomach to relieve nausea and calm vomiting. Peppermint
is also a great carminative, which means it relieves gas, bloating
and colic.
Peppermint helps to mask the bitter taste of the yarrow, making
in more palatable. The oil of peppermint is antimicrobial, so
it helps the body fi ght infection, too.

Lemon Balm
Like yarrow and elderfl ower, lemon balm is an antiviral. It is
another traditional remedy for colds and fl u, but it is also useful
for viral disorders like chicken pox, cold sores and shinkles. It has
a calming effect on the thyroid and is relaxing and antispasmodic,
so it helps calm aggitation and restlessness. It lifts the spirits and
improves mood.

Optional Ingredieents
Various versions of Childrenís Composition may also contain
catnip or chamomile. These herbs are also traditional remedies for
indigestion, cold, fl u, colic and fevers.

Suggested Use
At the first sign of cold, flu, fever, indigestion or other acute illness

Adults should take 1 teaspoon of Childrenís Composition every
hour along with plenty of water (room temperature or preferably
warm)

Children aged 2-12 should take about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
every hour

Children under the age of 2 should be given 10-20
drops every hour or two.

These are conservative doses, higher doses
have been used with no ill effects. If illness is persistent, consult a
competent health care practitioner for help.

For Educational Purposes Only
Seek appropriate professional assistance for all serious
health problems. Handout written by Steven Horne,
RH(AHG), P.O. Box 911239, St. George, UT 84791
(www.RaisingChildren Naturally.com)
©2008 This handout may be reproduced and distributed
freely provided it is not altered in any way.

Selected references:
The Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine by Andrew Chevallier
Dr. Mom-Dr. Dad by Steven H. Horne

Another good article on the Composition formula is here
http://www.raisingchildrennaturally.com/articles/65/2/Childrens-Composition/Page2.html

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:53:22 AM by herbs girl »

Offline Elenita

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
I would really like to learn how to make this Composition, but I have really no clue how to start.  :-[ Do I need to get the ABC herbals or can someone explain it to me how to make it?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 06:05:58 PM »
I would really like to learn how to make this Composition, but I have really no clue how to start.  :-[ Do I need to get the ABC herbals or can someone explain it to me how to make it?

You can buy the herbs here already mixed up for a very resasonable price....

http://www.morethanalive.com/Childrens-Composition

The instructions how I make it into a glycerite is in the 2nd comment at the bottom of the page.