Author Topic: Treating Candida [Yeast] While Pregnant [or Nursing]  (Read 64500 times)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Re: Treating Candida [Yeast] While Pregnant [or Nursing]
« Reply #150 on: September 29, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »
Hey I don't have time to leaf through the 5 pages here, but I successfully did a yeast/candida cleanse while breastfeeding.  We were both fine.  Here's what I did:

For 40 days I ate brown rice and vegetables only.  Nothing else.  (You could eat nuts too, but I was doing it for the sake of staving off a nut allergy so none for me.)  I got creative with the spices, and I grilled them to help change it up a little.  Dipping them in tahini and other home made sauces, etc.

I took Candida Cleanse tablets, probiotics, cloves, garlic, pumpkin oil, coconut oil, black strap molasses and Cod liver oil every day.  And I slathered everything in as much real butter as possible.  It's important to keep the fats high when you're breastfeeding, and the molasses help with minerals and iron.

I had success, and the baby and I are great.  She's VERY healthy.   :D

There are rice breads, and if you don't want to cut sugar completely, I'd just try to do the least amount of sugar possible, and keep it to natural sugars like grains and fruits and not added sugars.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

YoopreMama

« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2008, 08:01:10 AM »
That is amazing, Shabby...I am so inspired.  Did you get the idea from a specific plan?  Was it to counter the nut thing or to kill yeast?  Or both?

No milk?  No meat?  I could cut out bread, but raw milk/yogurt?   :'(

Did you make any soups w/ the rice and veggies?

I'd love to see a brief menu plan...thinking, thinking...

What was in the Candida Cleanse tablets?
Hey I don't have time to leaf through the 5 pages here, but I successfully did a yeast/candida cleanse while breastfeeding.  We were both fine.  Here's what I did:

For 40 days I ate brown rice and vegetables only.  Nothing else.  (You could eat nuts too, but I was doing it for the sake of staving off a nut allergy so none for me.)  I got creative with the spices, and I grilled them to help change it up a little.  Dipping them in tahini and other home made sauces, etc.

I took Candida Cleanse tablets, probiotics, cloves, garlic, pumpkin oil, coconut oil, black strap molasses and Cod liver oil every day.  And I slathered everything in as much real butter as possible.  It's important to keep the fats high when you're breastfeeding, and the molasses help with minerals and iron.

I had success, and the baby and I are great.  She's VERY healthy.   :D

There are rice breads, and if you don't want to cut sugar completely, I'd just try to do the least amount of sugar possible, and keep it to natural sugars like grains and fruits and not added sugars.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2008, 11:32:02 AM »
Did you get the idea from a specific plan?
I got the idea from a holistic practitioner and it is basically the first stage of the Maker's Diet minus the nuts.

Was it to counter the nut thing or to kill yeast?  Or both?
The holistic friend was certain that the yeast I carried and passed to my daughter was the root of the nut allergy.  She said the the mold from the nuts (and all legumes have this) was the issue.  So killing the yeast eliminated the allergy.

No milk?
No!  I DIED once!   ;D  No sugar of any kind, even lactose.  It was brutal.

No meat?
I did eat meat.  Chicken.  I would have eaten fish if it'd been in the budget, and I may have, but I don't remember it... and I'd have eaten red meat if we were red meat eaters.

I could cut out bread, but raw milk/yogurt?
Yes, cutting the raw milk/yoghurt was VERY hard.  And no CHEESE!  It was torture.

Did you make any soups w/ the rice and veggies?
Yes, but it was sad soup since I couldn't use any beans (legumes).  Mostly broth, chicken and veggies.  And there was a veggie broth, too.

I'd love to see a brief menu plan
Well there was a lot of raw veggies in vinegar/oil.
There were rice crackers with tomatoes and basil.
There was chicken broth with brown rice, celery and carrots.
There were rice tortilla chips with salsa.
There were rice and veggie "patties" like burgers sans the bun.
There were a LOT of eggs and southwestern omelette's.
There were A LOT of sauteed veggies and brown rice in the Wok.  Very heavy on the butter, and creative to change the spices from night to night.
That's all I remember.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

YoopreMama

« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2008, 01:05:08 PM »
;D
We started a thread on Shabby's 40 day plan:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,20852.msg204069.html#msg204069
Come join us!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »
Could you get rid of candida overgrowth by just eliminating sugar, eating fresh garlic daily and taking probiotics? I'm nursing a baby and don't think it'd be a good idea to cut breads.  Will this do anything for getting rid of a yeast problem, though?
Maybe, but bread is sugar unless it's gluten free.  Gluten can be converted into food by candida; however if you keep your consumption of bread low (or eat GF), make it whole grain (when counting carbs for other diet plans, they allow you to subtract grams of fiber from your carb total.  i don't know why, but if it works...) and eliminate other carbs/sugars, you could probably pull it off.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:02:09 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2008, 11:53:26 AM »
So I got a yeast infection in my breast and switched spreading acidophilus and propolis w/ coconut oil on it and saw great results...Now what about a vaginal infection...does it sound scary to cut a cap from NOW open mix w/ CO and spread inside. I read you could douche w/ a propolis water combo and that that really helps...Also taking it orally. I notice when I take propolis orally my milk production slows down, so now when I take a prop I also take a red raspberry and I am FINE more than fine in fact, I take prop alot to fight off sickness and this is what I have notcied. I thought that was an easy good one to take I hadn't seen mentioned yet.

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »
Anyone use Yeast Assassin while breastfeeding?  Did it reduce your milk supply at all?

I'm nursing and would like to do a yeast cleanse - and get it over with as quickly as possible!  Seems like taking the Anti-Yeast Pack from Beeyoutiful would put things in high gear along with eating the right foods.  But, I don't want to sacrifice breastfeeding to do it ... I know there is a Pregnancy Anti-Yeast Pack, but it doesn't seem as potent.

Any experiences you could relate would be very useful.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2009, 06:43:56 AM »
I just got the pregnancy anti-yeast pack from beeyoutiful, and I am nursing a six week old. Do I need to take all of those pills?  :o

My little guy has a sensitivity to garlic, so I'll skip the odorless garlic, but that means I'll be taking Colostrum Transfer Factor, Acidophilus Blast, Digestive Enzyme, Tummy Tuneup, and Supermom  all at the same time? Is that right? I have symptoms of candida overgrowth (sugar cravings, etc), and I'm hoping taking all of these supplements won't overwhelm my little guy. Has anyone successfully done this while nursing?

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »
One more thing... are "Tummy Tuneup" and "Acidophilus Blast" similar? Should I take them both at the same time?

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2009, 07:53:10 PM »
Anyone use Yeast Assassin while breastfeeding?  Did it reduce your milk supply at all?

Yeast Assassin contains Black Walnut and Oregano Oil.  www.kellymom.com says that Black Walnut "is sometimes used to reduce milk supply when mom has oversupply or is weaning" and that Oregano is "known to decrease milk supply."  But I haven't taken it myself, so I can't attest to its actions one way or the other.

I have been on an anti-candida cleanse (while nursing) for over 2 months now.  I'm taking the following anti-fungals:  Candex (was taking Garden of Life Fungal Defense but switched to Candex after my bottle ran out), raw garlic, coconut oil, and cloves.  I am also taking 100 billion probiotics, fish oil, SuperMom, BoneAmi, horsetail, milk thistle, pumpkin seed oil, fenugreek, digestive enzymes, fennel, charcoal, raw apple cider vinegar, and hot tonic.  However, I am currently in the middle of making some changes to my food and supplement lists, so this list will probably look very different in a couple weeks.

I just got the pregnancy anti-yeast pack from beeyoutiful, and I am nursing a six week old. Do I need to take all of those pills? ... I'm hoping taking all of these supplements won't overwhelm my little guy. Has anyone successfully done this while nursing?

Yep!  I believe all the pills were meant to be taken together.  I purchased the pregnancy anti-yeast pack when I was pregnant, followed it to a T, and ate very healthy MD/NT and still managed to get 4 yeast infections over the course of 9 months.  So if you find that the supplements don't seem to be moving you along as fast as you are hoping, you might also consider adding some other things like raw garlic, EVCO, cloves, GSE, cayenne, etc.  Check out the Natural Antifungals thread http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,695.msg230424.html#new for ideas, but be careful as some of the antifungals listed shouldn't be taken while nursing.  Like I said above, I've been on an anti-candida cleanse (while nursing) for over 2 months now.  And while we still have a ways to go, I can confidently say that we have made significant progress.  It might be helpful to browse through the Anti-Candida Diets: Daily Log for Encouragement thread http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,21241.240.html.  It's long, but if you start on Reply #241 on page 9, you'll start right where the thread was "revived" this past March and can read about the successes/challenges some of us have already faced.  I believe rebeccahuff and I are the only nursing moms represented in this chunk of the thread, but hopefully some of our posts will give you some realistic expectations so you know what you are getting yourself into ;)

I'm nursing and would like to do a yeast cleanse - and get it over with as quickly as possible!  Seems like taking the Anti-Yeast Pack from Beeyoutiful would put things in high gear along with eating the right foods. 

I went into my cleanse honestly believing that it would take only 40 days.  Unfortunately, I was wrong.  I think once all is said and done, it will probably take about 7 months.  Not to discourage you, but just to make sure you are going in with realistic expectations.  Your candida issues may be much easier to deal with than mine (and I certainly hope this is the case).  But I think it's good to be realistic before putting a lot of heart and soul into something and then being disappointed.  Like I said above, I would really recommend reading the posts in the Daily Log thread.

One more thing... are "Tummy Tuneup" and "Acidophilus Blast" similar? Should I take them both at the same time?

I don't take either, but I believe they are both probiotics, so IMO only one would be necessary.  But since they're both part of the pregnancy anti-yeast pack, I'd take both at the same time.  However, I notice that Tummy Tuneup has 4 billion potency and Acidophilus Blast has 8 billion potency.  Our holistic pediatrician told me that I needed to be on at least 100 billion potency probiotic.  So I'm taking a probiotic that has 25 billion potency, and am taking 4 capsules daily.  Also, our pediatrician said that DS needs to be taking baby bifidus (not sure why just the bifidus, but she only wanted him on that as opposed to acidophilus and bifidus).  I purchased the Garden of Life Primal Defense for Kids, which is a powder probiotic naturally flavored with freeze dried bananas.  I mix 2 times the normal dose with coconut oil (1 T for each year, so at 10 months now, DS gets 2 t).  But you could also just put some of the powder on your finger and have your baby suck it off (not sure how old your baby is and if he/she has teeth ;D).

Best of luck to you both, and I hope to see you over in the Daily Log thread!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:55:17 PM by Mamatoto »
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »
just wondering what exactly is bad to use while pregnant in the Yeast Assassin. i had a dr. recommend to me this product called Twinlab Yeast fighters, here are the ingredients:

Calories     15     
Total Carbohydrates    3 g    1%*
Dietary Fiber    2 g    8%*
Biotin    900 mcg    300%
Fiber Blend
(Psyllium Seed Husks, Guar Gum, Apple Pectin, Chitosan (from shellfish)    3001 mg    
Lactobacillus Acidophilus
(providing 2.5 billion viable cells at time of manufacture)    220 mg    
Garlic Bulb Extract
(equivalent to 1500 mg of fresh garlic)    100 mg    
Herbal Blend
(Pau D'Arco Bark Extract, Onion (allium cepal Bulb Extract, Golden Seal Root Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract (aerial parts), Black Walnut Seed)    2 mg    

Caprylic Acid
(from medium chain triglycerides)    62 mg    

the red part is what i was worried about.  of those, the Yeast Assassin doesn't have the Echinacea, but does have oregano oil.  it also has the Pau D'Arco and Black walnut, both i thought were not for use during pregnancy.  i have been doing well with fivelac and threelac and don't know that i really want to rock the boat anyway.  what do you all think?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2009, 07:14:49 AM »
This has been answered somewhere in these threads, but I can't find it right now.  As I recall, black walnut hull could dry up your milk supply, and too much pau d'arco could potentially induce miscarriage. 

*Edit*  I found one place:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2592.msg17943.html#msg17943

In another place, ForeverGirl says the Yeast Assassin contains wormwood, which is also unsafe during pregnancy.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,11.msg21.html#msg21
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:23:10 AM by thus_I_fight »
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »
moving this from another thread, i have a bunch of itchy spots on me, & other yeast symptoms, and baby just came up with a weird rash on his forehead.  i have read about Shabby's yeast cleanse & i just don't have it in me to try it, as i am already fighting with food allergies & can't eat a whole long list of foods.  here is our conversation--

I would guess that you have bowel flora dysbosis going on. Typical yeast and candida type cleansing and bowel healing work for many other types of bacterial and yeast imbalances.
Have you tried using activated charcoal following any of the new herbs you are trying? I believe your baby is probably fussy because any sort of high nutrition such as the kelp, or liver stimulant like the dandelion is putting your body into a detox. Apparently your detox pathways are not functioning well. Charcoal should help. Detox+ or Dr Schulze #2 might as well. If I remember correctly you are familiar with those.
What about digestive enzymes for yourself and the baby? Have you tried that. If I remember right you are already on an allergen free diet. However if you can't get the GI tract healed you will continue to develop new allergens until nothing is left. A compromised system is keeping your immune system down leaving GroupB strep and other opportunist bugs the chance to thrive. If YOU aren't digesting food well then the baby is getting things through breastmilk that his system is not meant to handle yet and will likely develop allergies in him. This is in addition to toxins he may be getting.
Hope that helps in some small way. I don't think this is primarily a Group B strep problem.

hi boysmama~~you are so right.  i had stool cultures done & had 2 kinds of strep, yeast and another bacteria.  actually i am very discouraged by the whole thing, cuz the allergen free diet is SO hard, i'm already taking digestive enzymes & probiotics, & the antifungal program dr. Dramov put me on after pregnancy made the baby incredibly uncomfortable, unable to burp or poop.  i've been getting acupuncture weekly, but can't do that very long. ($$$$) i just don't know what else to do.  i guess i wasn't very good at taking the charcoal i was taking so many pills and none of them could be together.  i will try tonight taking the herbs with supper & the charcoal a couple of hours later and see if that helps.  i need to deal with this now, or i will develop to the other foods i have left to eat, cuz i eat the same things a lot.  i am often hungry & at a loss for what to eat, so resort to quick fixes.  i'm ravenous & so want to eat what everyone else is eating.  :'(   i guess i just thought if the herbs were helping me that would be good for him too if i could get past the first few days.   ???  i've thought about doing the detox + , i do still have 1/3 or so a bottle of Dr. Schulze #2.  i SOOOO don't want him to get my allergies or others, i should have just done formula.  :'( :'( :'(  if someone can't tell me how to do this without tainting my breastmilk and making baby miserable, i am going to have to put him on formula.  :'(
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
The formulas from Schulze and the Bulk Herb store probably have psyllium, and other ingredients, that bind with the toxins as they are released, and move them out of the body so they don't get reabsorbed (at least I know the one from Schulze does). I would think that this would take care of most of the things that would normally end up in the breastmilk.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
Yeah, here's the Schulze Formula #2...
Ingredients: organic Flax seed ( Linum usitatissimum ), Apple Fruit Pectin, Pharmaceutical Grade Bentonite Clay, Psyllium seed and husk ( Plantago Species), WildCrafted Slippery Elm inner bark (Ulmus flilva), Organic Marshmallow root ( Althea officinalis), Organic Fennel seed ( Foeniculum vulgare ) and Activated Willow charcoal ( Salix alba).

All of these ingredients have as one of there benefits, binding or absorbing toxins, or coating the intestine to protect or move the toxins out quickly.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »
yeah, i was thinking today i would start that cleanse, and do it a few times while nursing.  i am already eating very much like Shabby describes, only without the eggs.  so i guess as a last resort before giving up breastfeeding, i will give it a try.  i am concerned though that when i am done with the 10 or 20 days i will still have problems.   :-\

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2010, 07:21:06 AM »
The formulas from Schulze and the Bulk Herb store probably have psyllium, and other ingredients, that bind with the toxins as they are released, and move them out of the body so they don't get reabsorbed (at least I know the one from Schulze does). I would think that this would take care of most of the things that would normally end up in the breastmilk.
i agree, but i wouldn't recommend extended cleanses with these products while nursing or pregnant.  clay has the most incredible ability to attract and bind heavy metals and minerals including calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, etc.  taking it over a long period of time especially when nutrition is so paramount, could really deplete mom and/or baby and possibly cause malnutrition.  short duration is key i think.  the 5 days that dr. schulze recommends is probably good, but the longer methods tried by some of our members and the way Shoshanna did her detox + would probably not be safe or recommended.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2010, 03:28:59 AM »
ok, i've been using the Dr. Schulze #2 for a little over 24 hours.  baby is fussier right after & during feeding.  he squirms around a lot, slurps & gulps a lot, and it's hard to tell cuz he was already gassy, but it seems he has more.  and he still burps for hours after eating.  we've been using fennel seed tea some.  my hubby is encouraging me to continue, thinking that at some point he will start to improve.  i am wondering if it is the cayenne pepper in the formula?  i just ordered BHS detox+ & it doesn't have the cayenne.  hoping that change will help him not be so fussy.  any thoughts on any of the other herbs that could be bothering him?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:58:40 AM by 4myhoonie »

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2010, 03:26:21 AM »
I personally wouldn't want to take Dr. Schulze cleanse if I was nursing a young baby.  I feel it has some strong herbs that could cause a young one tummy troubles.   
I'll PM you what helped my last baby, to stay on topic here.
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »
can you do caprylic acid while pregnant??  I'm 6 weeks and have a yeast infection (off and on) I can't seem to kick.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
bumping for thoughts on caprylic acid while preggo!
I'm doing no sugar/fruit/noodles, etc. eating plenty of veggies and whole grains though, pumpkin seeds, home made Bio-k yogurt, taking enzymes and several probiotics, eating raw garlic, taking garlic pills and taking colostrum. Wanting to add caprylic acid...I'm fighting some ringworm on my stomach and a mild yeast infection.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2010, 02:13:53 PM »
Hm. well, now I'm throwing ketones??!! I'm eating plenty of whole grains, veggies, and meat and beans. I'm also eating some blueberries and corn chips w/ my salsa. I'm wondering if the caprylic acid could be creating ketones...? any thoughts on this. I'm eating TONS, just not eating refined sugars, fruits, or simple carbs like noodles and breads. I had some whole grain blender pancakes this AM though and eat almond butter, etc. It doesn't make sense to me that I would be throwing ketones. I'm constantly eating I feel like, just not processed junk. any thoughts? ? ? I don't want to quit my "cleanse" after almost 3 weeks into it (just started the CP two days ago) just to lose any ground I might have gained. But i don't want to be stupid either.
I'm just having a hard time seeing that adding processed foods/noodles/refined sugar would be helpful. Maybe I just need to add some natural sugar like MORE fruit? I am eating some blueberries each day along w/ tons of salsa...any thoughts? any?? I'm beginning to wonder if the ketones are just the caprylic acid but really nothing bad happening????

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »
Hm. well, now I'm throwing ketones??!! I'm eating plenty of whole grains, veggies, and meat and beans. I'm also eating some blueberries and corn chips w/ my salsa. I'm wondering if the caprylic acid could be creating ketones...? any thoughts on this. I'm eating TONS, just not eating refined sugars, fruits, or simple carbs like noodles and breads. I had some whole grain blender pancakes this AM though and eat almond butter, etc. It doesn't make sense to me that I would be throwing ketones. I'm constantly eating I feel like, just not processed junk. any thoughts? ? ? I don't want to quit my "cleanse" after almost 3 weeks into it (just started the CP two days ago) just to lose any ground I might have gained. But i don't want to be stupid either.
I'm just having a hard time seeing that adding processed foods/noodles/refined sugar would be helpful. Maybe I just need to add some natural sugar like MORE fruit? I am eating some blueberries each day along w/ tons of salsa...any thoughts? any?? I'm beginning to wonder if the ketones are just the caprylic acid but really nothing bad happening????

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/research/article1024137.ece
here's the article that made me think caprylic acid is changing into ketones...
BUT is that bad...if the caprylic acid is going straight to the liver and not to my intestines killing what it needs to kill.. I'm using NOW's caprylic acid which I believe is the same as Beeyoutifuls...