Author Topic: elderberry tincture recipe for "busting colds, flu  (Read 30365 times)

Offline Dolores

• Learning
elderberry tincture recipe for "busting colds, flu
« on: September 26, 2006, 03:19:33 AM »
Elderberry tincture
In a clean quart jar, add 4 ounces dried elderberries.  Fill jar to top with vodka. Label with contents, date, and set aside in a cool, dark place. Shake every week or two.  In a month it will be ready for use. You can drain the berries at this point, or let them stay and get even stronger. Elderberries apparently have anti-viral properties.  Last week my husband and I both started with a real bad cold, sneezing, coughing, fever, sinus headache.  We each started taking the elderberry tincture. One teaspoon every four hours as needed. Within in one day, we were 99% better! Amazing!! Some stores sell it as "sambuchol". Very expensive.  Cheaper to make your own. Even a caveman can do it!  (ha-ha) <bulkherbstore.com> has the berries. ;D

Offline still*learning

• Adept
Re: elderberry tincture recipe for "busting colds, flu
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 08:12:45 AM »
Thank you so much for posting this. I have heard about elderberries but I did not know how to get them or how you could take them to help.

I am definitely going to try this. Plus it does sound easy enough for me to make. I have been very intimidated by making tinctures and this one sounds like it will be the perfect starter for me!

Offline Keetonmamma

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 08:25:17 AM »
Thanks for this info.
I recently found a recipe for and elderberry cough syrup but hadn't tried it.  Can you replace the vodka with something else?

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 01:53:23 PM »
You can replace the vodka with glycerine, but I find I have better results when I crush the berries in the jar before filling with glyc. Turns more purple.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 06:48:57 PM »
Where do you get the glycerine? Health Food Store?

Once your tincture is "done" do you keep it in the QJar or do you transfer it to something else?

Could you do this with ANY herb? We use a LOT of echinacea tincture around here - would love to find a cheaper way to have it. ;)
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 02:16:04 AM »
I just made elderberry cordial which also is reputed to be good for colds.  However, the cordial is very VERY sweet, 1 pound sugar to 1 pint elderberry juice.  Could I make  a tincture using fresh berries or do they have to be dried?  I can get tons more elderberries.

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 04:34:39 AM »
I want to make the Children's Composition formula from the book ABC Herbal.  It uses equal parts of elder flowers, yarrow, and peppermint.  Yarrow is good for flu and fevers.  Peppermint is good for tummies and is recommended by the book to use with elder flowers because they can sometimes upset the stomach.

The Bulk Herb Store has elderberries.  Can I substitute for elder flowers?  Anyone tried this.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 05:48:25 AM »
I just finished making my elderberry tincture.  It is my very first try for any tincture.  Just curious, is it supposed to be so strong?  My husband tried a teaspoon of it and said "It should definitely cure whatever ails you!"  Can I dilute it somehow? 

My 8mo has a cold and I only gave her a couple of drops and it made her throw up!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ndmomof4
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 07:14:27 AM »
Now, I've never made elderberry tincture, but I have made one with garlic, onions and ginger.  My guess is you made it with Vodka.  If so, this can be a bit much for people to swallow especially little kids. You might try a couple of different things.  If you steep some hot tea and then put your drops in the tea for a few seconds when it's good and hot, the alcohol will evaporate leaving the tincture behind. 

You might also try putting a few drops in a spoonful of honey or a small glass of fruit juice.

Here's the list of ingredients on Sambucol syrup.

Ingredients
Calories: 30, Total Carbohydrate: 8gm, Sugars: 8gm, SAMBUCOL ELDERBERRY EXTRACT: 3.8gm

Here are some links on homemade elderberry cough remedies to maybe give you some other ideas.

http://www.nativetech.org/recipes/recipe.php?recipeid=227
http://www.alpharubicon.com/primitive/elderberriesnav.htm
http://www.moscowfood.coop/garden/elderberries.html

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 09:25:12 AM »
I just finished making my elderberry tincture.  It is my very first try for any tincture.  Just curious, is it supposed to be so strong?  My husband tried a teaspoon of it and said "It should definitely cure whatever ails you!"  Can I dilute it somehow? 

My 8mo has a cold and I only gave her a couple of drops and it made her throw up!

ndmomof4

I'm making an elderberry tincture with glycerin. I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple days.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:25:35 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 09:20:42 AM »
I just got my "immune booster" herbs from the bulk herb store.  I am going to make a tincture with vodka.  And I just picked some elderberries today.  Can I add them to the tincture mix and make a "Super immune booster" or will that be just too much.?  I don't want to O.D. my family this winter.
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline Joy2BMommy

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 10:16:44 AM »
We LOVE using elderberry and elderflower tinctures here.  We use the ingredients from ABC herbal for our main "composition":  Elderflower, yarrow, and peppermint.  I make a large amount in the fall - which it's time to do again!  We make half as a glycerite and half as a vodka tincture, then mix the two together.  It's the first treatment we reach for with almost any type of illness.  It makes a great tea too.  If DH starts to feel ill I steep equal amounts of the herbs in water and fill his thermos full so he can sip on it throughout the day at work.  It has stopped illnesses before they've really gotten started.

Good Stuff!!

Blessed mama of six kiddos with #7 on the way!

Offline JoyfulJen

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 07:52:09 PM »
I read on one site (can't remember where!) that elderberries have to be cooked before consuming them, as raw ones can make you sick.  Is this true?  All you tincture makers out there....do you do anything to them first before putting them in the alcohol, or just use them raw?  I was thinking of trying the glycerine tincture, since that is heated for a while, but maybe I don't need to ??? I know I've read that using alcohol gets more of the extract out of the herbs.  I too want to try making a virus-fighting type of tincture, and was thinking of adding elderberries to the other usual anti-viral type herbs.  Do you think using them just dried is ok, or should I "cook" them?  I've never had any experience using them, as they don't grow where I can pick them, but they sound almost miraculous!Thanks for all the input so far...I learn a lot here. 
Jen

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 09:08:55 AM »
Raw berries are fine to eat - ate a ton of them as a kid and stained most of my play clothes one summer.  Also stained my hands, arms, the white paint on the old house door and my brother.  Probably had the runs too - but I don't remember that part.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 11:30:41 AM »
I remember reading (somewhere?) that the ripe elderberries are good to eat, but the elderberry roots, stems, and leaves are poisonous, as are the berries before they are ripe. Sorry I don't have a source to give. I think I just found that on a google search.

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 12:01:01 PM »
There is a HUGE repository of info on Elderberry and Elderberry syrups here:

http://www.curevents.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=46

...some of it is great... some is a little wacky... very interesting site in any case.

--gabe

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »
I want to make the Children's Composition formula from the book ABC Herbal.  It uses equal parts of elder flowers, yarrow, and peppermint.  Yarrow is good for flu and fevers.  Peppermint is good for tummies and is recommended by the book to use with elder flowers because they can sometimes upset the stomach.

The Bulk Herb Store has elderberries.  Can I substitute for elder flowers?  Anyone tried this.

I'm wondering the same thing :-\  I just ordered mine from Bulk Herb Store and plan on using them instead of the elder flowers.  Does someone know if this will yield similar results?
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline BigMamaH

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 06:06:52 PM »
I began my tincturing journey earlier this year, and although my brother calls me the whichdoctor (misspelled correctly  ;), he keeps on coming back for more of my restful sleep tincture, as he has struggled with being able to fall and stay asleep for years!  I recently turned the Big Mama's Red Raspberry Brew, as we like to call it, tea mix from bulkherbstore, into a tincture.  I have only used glycerin tinc so far but am going to make a 1/2 alcohol 1/2 glycerin for my dad who finds the glycerin to be too strong/sweet/rich, some people just find the glycerin to be so over-powering that it deters them from taking the tincture at all.  If I understand, another advantage to using alcohol tinct. or a mix of the 2 is that the alcohol helps keep the tincture good longer.  I have read a number of places that a half-half mix is preffered for tasteThe only place I've been able to track the glycerin down at a reasonable price is on www.azurefarm.com, I called every pharmacy in town here and none were able to get it for me, I spent most calls trying to explain WHAT glycerin is, to pharmacists.  If that didn't feel like the blind leading the blind?!  I just encourage any of you curious about herbal medicine and making tinctures to just read around all you can and just pick one that sounds simple, order your stuff, get out the crockpot and go for it!  It is some of the most fun our family has had in years, and it feels so great to actually be able to give my family help for their ailments without wondering if the "cure" is worse than what ails them.  Praise the Lord for all of the wonderful plants He gave us and for the older women who are willing to pass it on down . . .
After getting a sticker from the Dr. that said, "GIRLS RULE!" on it my daughter said, "I know what the girl's rule is at our house!  Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right!"

Offline JoyfulJen

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »
Wow! Great link Gabe.  From all the posts there, I concluded that it seems fine to use the berries raw and put them right into the vodka. Thanks for all the info!
Jen

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 08:01:24 AM »

ndmomof4

Our elderberry tincture turned out pretty good. It seems to taste a little stronger than the store bought stuff but my kids like it and it seems to be verry affective against colds :)

I filled a quart jar half full of whole dried berries. Then I dumped into my vitamix and ground them up a little. I then put them back in the jar and filled it full of glycerin. I left it in the crock pot for three days on low and strained. Making it was soo much cheaper than buying the tincture!

I'm making an elderberry tincture with glycerin. I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple days.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:12:51 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 10:02:47 AM »
What's the difference between Elder flowers and elderberry flowers....I am confused about what someone said earlier about the leaves, roots being poisinus!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 09:07:29 AM »
What's the difference between Elder flowers and elderberry flowers....I am confused about what someone said earlier about the leaves, roots being poisinus!!
If I'm not mistaken, they are the same thing.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 09:16:48 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, they are the same thing.

As most of us have learned about you, you are not mistaken.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 09:26:31 AM »
As most of us have learned about you, you are not mistaken.

Sarah K
Awww, you give me waaaaaaaay too much credit.....but I"ll take it.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »

They are the same and according to my Practical Herbalism book you can use the bark, leaves, flowers and berries of Elder tree.  It says that the berries and flowers are most commonly used.

Quote from: Practical Herbalism
Action:  Bark: purgative (drastic), emetic (drastic), diuretic;  Leaves: emollient, vulnerary (topical), purgative (strong), expectorant, diuretic, diaphoretic;  Flowers: diaphoretic, anti-catarrhal, anti-spasmodic, ferbrifuge, aperient, anti-inflammatory; Berries: diaphoretic, diuretic, laxative, aperient, anti-rheumatic
[/color]
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 09:13:53 AM »
I would like to make a tincture similar to the Sambucol elderberry extract which contains echinacea as well as elderberry. The Bulk Herb Store has a product called The Immune Booster which has the echinacea etc. but no elderberry. Does anyone know if I could add elderberries to the Immune Booster and make a tincture out of that ? Thanks for your input!
LKS

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 04:05:37 PM »
I also am interested in a homeade Sambucol extract recipe, but I'd like to find out how to put Propolis in it too, to make it a  threesome just like the sambucol....Echinacea,Elderberry and Bee Propolis.  Maybe with the combined knowledge of several of us, we could invent a recipe, try it on ourselves and figure out a dosage safe and equally effective.  Anyone interested?  Sambucol may work,  but its outragously expensive!!
     Do you think you could add the Bee Immune capsules from Beeyoutiful to the finished tincture/glycerite?? or would it spoil??  Mountain meadow herbs.com sells a Sambucol type extract that hasEchinacea Propolis and Elderberry called infa-flu.   I like it, but would rather make my own!!
     Ideas??

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 05:32:36 PM »
I would like to make a tincture similar to the Sambucol elderberry extract which contains echinacea as well as elderberry. The Bulk Herb Store has a product called The Immune Booster which has the echinacea etc. but no elderberry. Does anyone know if I could add elderberries to the Immune Booster and make a tincture out of that ? Thanks for your input!
LKS

I did this early this fall, and we haven't keeled over dead yet if that is any comfort to you. ;)  When I got done with the tinture, then I squeezed out the juice from the elderberries to get all the "goody".  Although it was kind of funny picking off the spiked berries and eating them.  My hubby and I did that too. :D
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 05:36:14 PM »
I e-mailed The Bulk Herb store and they said that was what they did too! Have you had good results with your tincture? Did you use alcohol or glycerine?
Thanks!
LKS

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 03:39:12 AM »
I used vodka.........hence the yummy spiked berries.  The tinture is pretty nasty tasting.  It makes my kids gag, but it seems to work and they know that too and they keep coming back for more when they have a scratchy throat or something.  My kids are big warm tea drinkers when they aren't feeling good, so I have "spiked" their tea with it before and they never noticed.  Yea, I would say it works pretty good if you get after that cold before it is full blown in your body.  If you wait too long before you start it, which I did a few weeks ago, it didn't seem to do much for me.  But I was able to chase the same horrible virus off of everyone else in my family and kept them from getting it with the tincture.