Author Topic: Removing hard, wax ball from ears  (Read 12492 times)

Offline tynnille

• Adept
Removing hard, wax ball from ears
« on: July 01, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »
Hello Friends,
    My 5yo has a big, hard ball of wax in his right ear. I can just touch it with my oinky nail, but he says it hurts when I do. I am wondering how you all would get it out. I have tired just using peroxide and ear oil. I have heard you can use a waterpik and bought one to use, but hubby is unsure this is a good idea.
   Please pass on any suggestions. I can't help but think this is impeding his hearing, it is almost taking up the entire space. I think it may cause him pain when I touch it b/c it is stuck to the sides and pulling the little hairs as well.
    Have a good day and thanks in advance.

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
Re: Removing hard, wax ball from ears
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »
My 8 year old just had one of these several months back.  I used a small amount of the Murine ear cleaning system.  It consisted of a peroxide solution of some sorts to put in the ear (until saturated) holding the head on the opposite side until the ear absorbs all the liquid.  I massaged near her lobe to help it get in there good. 

I had her lay her head on the table for about 5 mins.  I got a bowl of warm water and a small bulb syringe (which came with the box but a baby aspirator would work just fine), had her tip her head over the bowl so the the ear I put the stuff in would be directly over the bowl.  Some of the stuff drained out and it seemed to loosen the wax. Keeping her ear over the bowl, I used the syringe to suck up the warm water.  Put the tip of the syringe just outside of the ear and squirt the warm water into the ear.  I did this several times until I drowned her ear out...and shirt and part of the table :) 

This sould loosen things up so you can get the rest of the wax out.  Her wax ball was sitting just outside of her middle opening.  I was able to dig it out with the loopy end of a bobby pin.  I will say I went slow and made sure I had plenty of light and no distraction so I could concentrate.
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
Re: Removing hard, wax ball from ears
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
I cleaned my 5 yr old's earwax just using hydrogen peroxide.  I filled the ear up all the way a couple of times making sure that peroxide goes all the way inside and then empty the ear.  I did this at least 5 or 6 times and every time a bit of wax would float up.  The last time a big piece came up so I used my eyebrow pluckers (if that's what they're called) and very carefully, using a flashlight, got it out.  You do have to be careful not to grab the little hairs. :P  After that, no more ear ache.
 Hope that helps. :)