† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Nourishing Herbal Infusions  (Read 10735 times)

Offline RB

• Adept
Re: Nourishing Herbal Infusions
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »
We are still enjoying the nourishing infusions!  :)

Here is a class you can buy for $10.00 to learn all about the infusions and how to make them.    http://www.ladybarbara.net/html/herb_classes.html

I bought this class myself and feel it was worth my $10.00 and I can watch it again when ever I want.
Blessing's,
   RB

Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline doddsgirl

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »
thanks, ladies!
so, i usually brew my tea and let it steep overnight and then drink it throughout the next day. would i get the same effect if a brewed a larger amount, steep overnight, drain, stick it in the frig and drink throughout the week? i don't like to leave the leaves in more than a day cause they get kinda yuck. i just don't want my tea to go bad after several days! that's why i make it fresh every day or every other day...
what if i brewed a concentrated batch and added water when i drank it? doesn't seem like it would have as much good in it..
another reason i combine my teas is so i don't have to drink so much!
thanks for all the links. y'all rock!
rhonda

YoopreMama

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 05:20:27 PM »
Thanks for checking in w/ that report and link, RB!   :)

Rhonda--It's only s'posed to stay "good", as I understand it, for a couple of days in the frig.  I drink mine w/i about 24 hours of making it.  I do strain it after sitting overnight and store it in the frig when I'm not drinking it.

MY question is re: measuring the herbs.  I understand that it's 1 oz of herb to the qt...which is often roughly 1 c., BUT I went from my whole dried leaves  (about filling the jar, loosely) to the cut and sifted herbs of the BHS (about 3 T) and have noticed a huge difference in strength.  I can see that c/s herbs have more surface area and make it stronger.  Anyone have thoughts on this?  I don't have a scale, but could measure out 1 oz at the co-op the next time I am there.

OH.  And re: Nettles infusions:  PH was saying that nettles are good for suppressing milk supply.  I hadn't realized that.   ::)  Guess I'll stick w/ RRL and Oat Straw...w/ some alfalfa and horsetail mixed in.  And the occasional Red Clover :P...wonder where I hid that... :D

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 07:35:50 PM »
MY question is re: measuring the herbs.  I understand that it's 1 oz of herb to the qt...which is often roughly 1 c., BUT I went from my whole dried leaves  (about filling the jar, loosely) to the cut and sifted herbs of the BHS (about 3 T) and have noticed a huge difference in strength.  I can see that c/s herbs have more surface area and make it stronger.  Anyone have thoughts on this?  I don't have a scale, but could measure out 1 oz at the co-op the next time I am there.

I have a scale Yoop...
I measured out 1 oz. of c/s peppermint from BHS, and it is just under one cup.
Then I measured out a lightly packed mounded cup of dried, whole narrow leaf plantian and it was only = to .25 of an ounce. 

So, if my calculations are right, you'd need to pack your jar with about 4 mounded cups of whole leaf herbs to get the same punch as one cup of cut and sifted herbs.   :o
I agree that the surface area of the cut leaves is a major factor in extracting more of the good stuff. 
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »
So is this weight issue maybe why my marshmellow root tasted so bad?  Normally as a tea it's really good but 1oz of it was a full cup.  I bought it from BHS.  So maybe I need 1/4 cup??  Is that what you're saying?  That would probably taste a whole lot better!

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 04:28:41 AM »
OH.  And re: Nettles infusions:  PH was saying that nettles are good for suppressing milk supply.  I hadn't realized that.   ::)  Guess I'll stick w/ RRL and Oat Straw...w/ some alfalfa and horsetail mixed in.  And the occasional Red Clover :P...wonder where I hid that... :D

I wonder if the people that say nettle decreases milk supply,  had personal experience with it?  As for myself and a friend that drinks it everyday we have not had a  decrease in milk supply at all, rather the oppsite,  increased and enriched  milk supply. 

I'm  concerned about people making infusions out of herbs,  that if taken in large quantity can be harmful, like the  ( volatile oils) mint family.  So please do your research when consuming herbs,  that are not considered nourishing herbs.    Also,  there are different brewing times and weight measurements for:  flowers, roots, leaves, and berries. 
Blessing's,
 RB

YoopreMama

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 08:22:49 AM »
Good point, RB, on the nourishing herbs--types and steeping times.  I'm using leaves, mostly, and some flowers:

Nourishing herbs   Nourishing herbs do not contain poisons. They are safe to use in any quantity. Examples are seaweed, violet leaves, stinging nettle, comfrey leaves, oatstraw, red clover, linden, chickweed, hawthorn, rose hips, plantain, burdock, dark chocolate, and dandelion.     

Tonifying herbs   Tonifying herbs are like exercise. They are best used regularly, but not daily. The dose is generally large. Some examples are ginseng, motherwort, dandelion root, yellow dock root, St. Joanís (Johnís) wort, skullcap, echinacea, and astragalus.

Stimulating/sedating herbs   Stimulating/sedating herbs are best used only when there is a specific need. When used daily they erode core energy. The dose is usually moderate. Examples include ginger, black tea, coffee, most mints, lavender, valerian, and hops.

Potentially poisonous herbs   Potentially poisonous herbs are drug-like and need to be used with great care. They cause powerful reactions and may interfere with drugs. The dose is usually quite small. Examples include golden seal, cayenne, lobelia, poke root, blue cohosh, senna, mistletoe.

Susun Weed

As far as Nettles go, I simply have the opposite experience, as well--my supply is continuing to flourish.  M/b Fritchey's just going on "man" experience.  ;)  I still alternate them, regardless, for variety.

I think the original recipe called for 1 oz of leaves, Patti.  1 c. of root would be way too much, yes.   :o

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 08:35:12 AM »
patti, I'll have to weigh a root later when I get a moment.  I just weighed dry loose herbs (leaves).
I'm betting that roots are much more dense/heavy, and an ounce would be much less volume than a cut leaf.
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 09:43:12 AM »
I checked to see if this  brewing table was posted anywhere, and didn't find it, unless I missed it somehow.  Summary of Infusion Data by:  Susun Weed. 

Plant Part    Amount               Jar/Water      Length of Infusion

1 oz/30 g.  Roots/barks      pint/500ml      8 hours minimum
1 oz/30 g.  Leaves              quart/liter        4 hours minimum
1 oz/30 g.  Flowers             quart/liter        2 hours minimum
1 oz/30 g.  Seeds/berries   pint/500ml      30 min. minimum

Blessing's,
   RB

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 10:08:16 AM »
patti, I'll have to weigh a root later when I get a moment.  I just weighed dry loose herbs (leaves).
I'm betting that roots are much more dense/heavy, and an ounce would be much less volume than a cut leaf.

When I did one ounce it ended up being 1 cup (I was using a kitchen cooking scale to weigh it).  Would love to know because I'm open to doing less.  I just can't do it as strong as it was.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

YoopreMama

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »
When I did one ounce it ended up being 1 cup (I was using a kitchen cooking scale to weigh it).  Would love to know because I'm open to doing less.  I just can't do it as strong as it was.  patti 
I thought the original video showed her saying 1 oz = about a cup (leaves)?  It seems I'd read that elsewhere...

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 10:57:02 AM »
It may be different for different herbs --some leaves heavier than others. Because one ounce of Rabbit Tobacco leaves is about two cups. Rabbit Tobacco leaves are very light.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »
It may be different for different herbs --some leaves heavier than others. Because one ounce of Rabbit Tobacco leaves is about two cups. Rabbit Tobacco leaves are very light.
WR
I'm thinking leaf size and density.  RT is pretty fluffy, due the the fuzziness factor. ;)  The plantain I wieghed is larger leaves, and they didn't want to nestle together without me lightly pushing them into the cup.

I had a thought about cutting your leaves.  Have you seen one of the Pampered Chef Choppers?  They are SO awesome.  I use mine all the time to chop onion and veggies.  I bet it would chop (and not pulverize) your dried herbs so you'd get more surface area.

YoopreMama

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2009, 02:39:46 PM »
I was at the co-op today and a lady had a way cool book (Herbs for Children or something)...it said that:

1 oz leaves/flowers = 1 3/4 c   :o
1/2 oz roots = 1/2 c.

That would mean my infusions are weaker than intended then. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »
I was at the co-op today and a lady had a way cool book (Herbs for Children or something)...it said that:

1/2 oz roots = 1/2 c.

That would also mean my marshmellow root 1oz =1 cup is correct and that stuff is nasty!!!  :o  Will it work even a little bit if I do smaller amounts to make an infusion?  I'm sure it's not like there is NO benefit to it, is there?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2009, 05:47:55 AM »

1/2 oz roots = 1/2 c.

Is this for chopped or whole leaves?

YoopreMama

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2009, 07:32:49 AM »

1/2 oz roots = 1/2 c.

Is this for chopped or whole leaves?
Sigh.  Excellent question.  I'm thinking whole.

http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Herb-Book-Lesley-Tierra/dp/1885003366#reader_1885003366

Click to read inside of the book.  It's on the bottom of page 13.

YoopreMama

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2009, 09:18:49 AM »
Quote from: mykidsmom link=topic=24239.msg244360#msg244360 ate=1258260546
That would also mean my marshmellow root 1oz =1 cup is correct and that stuff is nasty!!!  :o  Will it work even a little bit if I do smaller amounts to make an infusion?  I'm sure it's not like there is NO benefit to it, is there?

Patti,
When I 1st came across the infusions Susun and someone from Learning Herbs (Rosalee de la ForÍt), it was mostly for leaves...some flowers (red clover).  I don't think that roots are typically in the "nourishing" category, so I don't think she was addressing roots w/ those measurements.  I would specifically look up marshmallow for an infusion and see what is specific to it.  I'm not sure if it's suited to regular use or not.

Here's Rosalee's blog, and posts on the NH:
http://methowvalleyherbs.blogspot.com/search/label/Nourishing%20Herbal%20Infusions

She does mention Burdock root but nothing more helpful on measurements, other than what Susun is quoted as saying.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:30:01 AM by Yooper »

YoopreMama

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2009, 02:57:14 PM »
I forgot to mention... ::)

When I was at the co-op, we learned that .06 lbs on their digital scale = 1 oz.

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
Anyone here drinking  the nourishing herbal infusions,  also taking a multivitamin?  just wondering  if it's necessary,  if one is eating  a healthy diet,  along with drinking  the infusions.   I'm getting a CBC done to see what my blood work will show.

YoopreMama

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2009, 09:45:05 AM »
I'm not, as I'm considering this part of my natural multi-vitamin.   ;D

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »
I'm not, as I'm considering this part of my natural multi-vitamin.   ;D

I am interested in "natural multivitamins". How are you doing it? 
A special herbal infusion mix? one herb or several?

I thought this was a neat idea too for a natural multi...the "herba smoothie"

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/DBHS

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 11:01:37 AM »
I'm not, as I'm considering this part of my natural multivitamin.   ;D

I am interested in "natural multivitamins". How are you doing it? 
A special herbal infusion mix? one herb or several?

I thought this was a neat idea too for a natural multi...the "herba smoothie"

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/DBHS

Susun Weed recommends to try one at a time to see how each herb  makes you feel.   Some people mix equal parts of alfalfa, nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry as a prenatal multivitamin  type of infusion.  It's really whatever you feel like doing. 

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2009, 11:35:41 AM »
I actually have been thinking about trying the Garden of Life multivitamins, as we do want more children.  But after reading Joel Salatin's book, Salad Bar  Beef ( ;D) he was saying he feeds his cows kelp instead of a 'high-falootin' laboratory mix of minerals, that can't compete with nature.  I know we aren't cows, but that got me thinking,  that if cows can grow healthy baby calves each year on just grass/hay, kelp, salt, and a natural worming program.  Why wouldn't a healthy diet , along with infusions, (kelp ;D) and a natural wormer twice a year,  work for us humans in keeping ourselves healthy and giving birth to healthy babies?  
 I haven't  taken  a multivitamin (took green juice powders)  during my last  three pregnancies, but did feel with the last one that maybe I should have, as felt so tired all the time.     I really do want to drink the infusions instead of taking something made in a laboratory, just don't want to get depleted.   I guess I would like to hear/read testimonies from moms who drank the nourishing infusions instead of taking a multivitamin, and the outcome for mom and baby.  

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:23:38 PM by RB »

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2009, 06:11:58 AM »
Anyone know if oatstraw infusion would be a problem for someone with a gluten sensitivity?  I'm thinking it wouldn't,  since its a green grass with a few milky oats tops.  But,  had someone ask me and now I'm wondering?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2009, 06:48:06 AM »
We've started some infusions as well. Too early to give an opinion on possible benefits. Nettle makes one GREEN tasting drink.  :P

RB, I said something about Garden of Life over here. http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,203.msg245554.html#msg245554

I tell you....I'm rethinking whole food juicing now as well. After being dead set against it for so long.  ::)

Oh, and cows just eat, sleep, make and feed babies in that scenario....no predators, lean times, and long commutes  :D...don't forget rest and dedication to one occupation if you want  to mimic the healthy  baby every year job.   ;D

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2009, 07:16:58 AM »
Anyone know if oatstraw infusion would be a problem for someone with a gluten sensitivity?  I'm thinking it wouldn't,  since its a green grass with a few milky oats tops.  But,  had someone ask me and now I'm wondering?

I don't know, but I did spend a little time looking it up. If they are reacting to prolamines (can't handle oats and some other seeds/grains either)  than it seems like even oatgrass, let alone oatstraw with some seed formation is out.  GF diets exclude the related grasses (wheatgrass, barley grass) as well as the grains, so if they are on a strict GF regime, I'd avoid oatstraw as well. Depends on the situation and how accurate the gluten sensitivity diagnosis is. I think sometimes people have a protein allergy that is not just as simple as whether something has gluten or not. Gluten free, just happens to eliminate most of that protein "family".

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2009, 08:36:08 AM »

I don't know, but I did spend a little time looking it up. If they are reacting to prolamines (can't handle oats and some other seeds/grains either)  than it seems like even oatgrass, let alone oatstraw with some seed formation is out.  GF diets exclude the related grasses (wheatgrass, barley grass) as well as the grains, so if they are on a strict GF regime, I'd avoid oatstraw as well. Depends on the situation and how accurate the gluten sensitivity diagnosis is. I think sometimes people have a protein allergy that is not just as simple as whether something has gluten or not. Gluten free, just happens to eliminate most of that protein "family".

Thanks,  seems like people may need to try it,  and see if it causes them a problem.     I did call Mountain Rose herbs, and they say that they haven't heard of anyone having problems with oatstraw.

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »
Anyone still drinking nourishing herbal infusions?   I'm still drinking them and I love oatstraw!   I feel more nourished since drinking the infusions  and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed increased health or energy from  drinking the infusions?  Thanks!

YoopreMama

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2010, 02:30:56 PM »
Anyone still drinking nourishing herbal infusions?   I'm still drinking them and I love oatstraw!   I feel more nourished since drinking the infusions  and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed increased health or energy from  drinking the infusions?  Thanks!

Hi, RB!  :)

I took a break this winter, after drinking them for 5-6 months daily.  I noticed that I didn't feel as "nourished" and have recently resumed them--RRL, Nettle, and Oatstraw combos.  My skin was the best it ever was this winter...I think these had something to do with it.

I have also noticed and had this confirmed w/ pastorswife2B that too much Oatstraw gives us wild dreams.  :o  Susun's talked about this/other effects in some Valentine's Day messages.  ♥♥  ;) ♥♥ :o