† † † † † † †

Author Topic: vaginal birth after 4th degree tear  (Read 3138 times)

Offline henrysangel

• Wide Eyed
vaginal birth after 4th degree tear
« on: May 31, 2009, 02:27:10 PM »
i had my son almost 2 years ago and when i had him i had  4th degree tear. i just found out last week that im going to have another baby and i was wondering if it was even possible to have a natural birth after a tear that bad. at my 6 week post partum visit with my son i was told that if i tore like that again they wouldnt be able to stitch me up so that everything would be "normal". i was also told that my perineum was very thin. any suggestions?

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
Re: vaginal birth after 4th degree tear
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 06:46:37 PM »
My sister had a 4th degree tear with her first son and has since had two more sons naturally.  No problems at all with their births. 

Offline All for Jesus

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »
My first was a 4th degree according to my doctor, my friends doctor called it a 5th degree.  Mine went all the way through to my rectum.

My second was a partial 3rd.  Can't remember my third.  Fourth was very small tear, first one with a midwife.  The last two I finally had at home and had no tearing at all.

I am awaiting the arrival of #7 any day/moment now! 

My friend was told the same thing as you and she opted for a c-section.

Everyone's body is different, I have had good experience; use what you learn, pray about it, and make decision with your husband.  I hope all goes well and you can have a satisfying birth.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
lalalalalalalalalalalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalllalalalal

Ok...think we are safe now.  There are things you can do to prepare the perineum for birth.  Heat olive oil or coconut oil and get your dh to slowly stretch the area.  (This also helps if you have been stitched really tight after your first birth so that $ex doesn't hurt so bad.)  Anyway, you want to very slowly stretch the area around your 8th month.  Eventually he needs to be able to get four fingers in both sideways and vertical.  Be careful not to tear it while you are stretching it.

And also Evening Primrose Oil is great your last month for making you very stretchy.  It helps give the perineum elasticity.

Positions can help a ton too.  If you are on your hands and knees, or standing/squatting you will not put as much pressure on the perineum.  The baby is able to ease around it better.  If you push slowly or don't push at all, that helps protect it. 

Using coconut oil or olive oil during the actual birth will help the area be even more stretchy during the birth.

Also omega 3 fatty acids help the area, but I cannot at the moment remember how.  I think it makes the area stronger.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mineó
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Jessarie

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
Hi!  I just (5 days ago) had my first baby after a 4th degree tear.  My first was delivered without medication in a hospital - he was technically a natural birth, but the way I was positioned and coached through pushing was not natural at all.  Anyway, I had the 4th degree tear and also developed a rectovaginal fistula.  Just before my appt with the colorectal surgeon to repair the fistula, I found out I was pregnant.  I was so stressed about delivering with a fistula!  I found a homebirth midwife who had absolutely no problem delivering despite the fistula, and had my beautiful water birth 5 days ago with 2 teeny tears - so much better than the c-section I had been told i should have.  If there's any way you can do a water birth, go for it.  I know going through pregnancy after the tearing experience is really scary - pray and read your Bible :o).  No one said anything about a thin perineum to me - I'm not sure if mine is thin or not.  You can do this, though!  The Lord will give you strength and not allow you to go through more than you can handle.  Remember you are fearfully and wonderfully made, and that His yoke is easy and His burden is light - those verses were my prayers through my contractions this time.

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
I second the water birth. I torn for the first three births, but had slight "tears" for the last two becasue they were water births. I think the Fish Oil (omega 3) helps your skin integrety internally .

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 02:24:37 PM »
I realize that the last message was a bit vague (I was trying to send the message before going to the bathroom ;D).
Okay, my first 3 births I had awful tears, not 4th degree but enough to keep me sore for at least 3 months. I have had wonderful sucess with having the last two in the water (regular tub with #4 and larger tub w/ #5). I attribute the minimal tearing mostly with the water. I really think it helps soften the skins and relax the body. I, given the choice, will only do water births from here on out.  If you have had tearing in the past, then I think it is necessary to find a birthing option that can include water birthing. I also think that taking fish oil internally and maybe even palm oil (the incredibally orange oil - very high in vit. E) can help as well with your skin's intergity internally. You can alwasy use Coconut oil on the outside (and inside)for external integrity.
Hope this more clear and helpful.
Tennille

Offline All for Jesus

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:07:27 AM »
Follow up on comment #2

#7 arrived on Friday quite suddenly.  My DH caught baby and we weren't prepared with oil and warm rag for perineum.  I did not tear but I did have a couple paper cut type sores, only noticeable by my midwife.  Those may not have happened if she had time to be there to coach us through and use the oil and warm rag as she usually does!