Author Topic: Ground Black Pepper...Bad for you?  (Read 27040 times)

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
Ground Black Pepper...Bad for you?
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:50:32 AM »
I've heard rumers that black pepper isn't good for us somehow. Is this true?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Ground Black Pepper...Bad for you?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:18:25 AM »
I've heard rumers that black pepper isn't good for us somehow. Is this true?

Not according to these articles;

http://www.healthnews.com/natural-health/herbal-remedies/black-pepper-is-nothing-sneeze-at-2231.html

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=74

I used to hear that too much pepper could be a problem.  I suppose that, like many things, it's a matter of balance. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 06:33:45 PM »
Black pepper is best when added after cooking.  Heating it changes it's benefits.  I read this in a book (from the school of natural healing) but cannot find where, and in which book. :-\  I would add the health benefits, but once again, it's in the book.   ::)

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 04:48:39 AM »
Black pepper is best when added after cooking.  Heating it changes it's benefits.  I read this in a book (from the school of natural healing) but cannot find where, and in which book. :-\  I would add the health benefits, but once again, it's in the book.   ::)

Very interesting!  I wonder how many herbs and spices that is true about.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »

According to Dr. Christopher once black pepper has been cooked it becomes carcinogenic. Before cooking it is a valuable herb with a number of uses. I always try to add in pepper last thing before serving.

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 01:28:04 PM »
My MIL says that black pepper clogs up your colon...  I don't know.  I haven't read anything to that affect anywhere, but OK.  She bought us some white pepper when she was here a couple years ago and I still have most of it because it just doesn't *look* right, to not have black specks where there should be black pepper. LOL. 

BTW.  White pepper is the same thing as black pepper, only the hard outer shell of the pepper seed has been removed.  So the flavor is essentially identical. 

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »
 :D and I think that white pepper tastes and smells completely different from black.
So isn't black pepper the unripe berry, and white the ripe berry (both dried)?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:51:58 PM by boysmama »

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:44:50 PM »
:D and I think that white pepper tastes and smells completely different from black.
So isn't black pepper the unripe berry, and white the ripe berry (both dried)?

Description

Black pepper comes from the berries of the pepper plant. Black pepper, green pepper and white peppercorns are actually the same fruit (Piper nigrum); the difference in their color is a reflection of varying stages of development and processing methods.

Black peppercorns are made by picking the pepper berries when they are half ripe and just about to turn red. They are then left to dry which causes them to shrivel and become dark in color. Alternatively, green peppercorns are picked while still unripe and green in color, while white peppercorns are picked when very ripe and subsequently soaked in brine to remove their dark outer shell leaving just the white pepper seed.

Pink peppercorns are actually from a completely different plant species (Schinus molle) that is related to ragweed.

Black pepper is the most pungent and flavorful of all types of peppers and it is available as whole or cracked peppercorns or ground into powder.

found here:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=74