Author Topic: Swine Flu [ H1N1 ]: Prevention & Treatments  (Read 48754 times)

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
Re: Swine Flu [ H1N1 ]: Prevention & Treatments
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2009, 06:28:18 AM »
Don't know if anyone mentioned this already, there is a homoepathic remedy/preventative you can take. Here is the website for it:
http://oscillo.com/
They have adult and childrens available. Take 10 (tiny pills) under tongue until dissolved once a month or at the first signs of flu.

or if you have therapeutic grade essential oils, (We use Young Living) you can do this:

COMBINE IN A GEL CAP THE FOLLOWING AND INGEST (take with rice milk and or Multi-Green capsule for ease in ingesting):

12 drops Thieves
6 drops of Oregano
2 drops Frankincense

or

place a few drops of Oregeno oil in a capsule. Drink plenty of water with it.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2009, 06:37:31 AM »
Yooper started a new thread on Pine Needle Tea:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,23923.msg229104.html#new

It also links to an article about the abortive properties of Pine Needles in Cattle:
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/INF-BE_cca/INF-BE_cca96/INF-BE_cca9604.html  Thanks Yooper!  ;D
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2009, 06:42:07 AM »
While digging further, a friend of mine discovered this article as well:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/890506/

This article explains that pine trees treated with the chemical glyphosate (active ingredient in Round Up weed killer) accumulate higher levels of shikimic acid.  I'd imagine Christmas trees are most likely treated with these chemicals.  So the beneficial properties are possibly misleading.  
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2009, 07:21:23 AM »
Anyone know a good source for buying pine needles? We don't have much in the way of trees in Wyoming ::)

Yeah, ask a  fellow wtm'er who has pine trees to send you some.  ;)

Thanks for all this great information ladies.  I'm going to have to print this stuff out and read it again later.

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2009, 09:33:55 AM »
There's a lot of really good information here....

Did anyone see any 'defining' symptom that definitely says 'swine flu' and not regular flu?  Or is that something that a doctor has to determine with tests?  If this info is already out there and I missed it I apologize... Seems like all the symptom links I've looked up just say that it feels like regular flu.  My household has had the flu off and on for months... we're pretty much over it at the moment, but all our neighbors travel back and forth from Mexico about every week so this concerns me a little. 

Thanks for all the information!
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »
They have numbers for the different strains, like H1N1 and such.  The docs do a blood test (or swab?) and can see which strain you're carrying.  The swine flu has it's own number, even though the symptoms are similar to other flus.  Each year they name whatever strain is the most common influenza.

I don't think there's any way of knowing which "flu" you have unless you see a doc for a test. 

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »
I think Bovine Colostrum is a very good supplement to take for the swine flu. It can modulate cytokine production. It evens out the immune system and makes it so its neither over or under re-acting. The Cytokine storm theory scares me.

Heres some info about it.

http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/articles/468/health-from-the-farm.html

Immune Modulation
http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/articles/nutritional-support-for-immune-modulation.html

Micronutrients
http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/articles/nutritional-support-for-immune-modulation.html

Poylysaccharides
http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/articles/polysaccharides--poly-benefits.html

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:37:51 PM by herbs girl »

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2009, 01:37:36 PM »
Swelling Relief Tea
Contains: Stevia, orange peel, Cornsilk, lavendar, rosemary, rose petals, Nettle leaf, and lemon peel, yarrow

This would be good!

DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline Thunderbird

• Learning
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »
The people at this company said MMS and their Silver are a good combo for swine flu.  You'd have to check it out for yourself to see what you think, but I just wanted to pass this on.

http://www.mmsdr.com/

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2009, 04:31:16 PM »
I may be way off so set me straight if were talking cell boosting ... I came across something called Sulfurophane thinking sulfur.. ok then I saw this ...

*Sulfurophane, from broccoli sprout extract, has been shown to stimulate the body’s production of detoxification enzymes that eliminate xenoestrogens. Sulfurophane is also a powerful antioxidant.*

*Isothiocyanates and Sulfurophane
Isothiocyanates and sulfurophane are chemical compounds found in high
concentrations in cruciferous vegetables, including broccoli sprouts and cabbage
sprouts. These chemical compounds are well researched and highly effective
mediators of phase I and phase II detoxification enzymes in the body, offering cellular
protection from the damaging effects of environmental carcinogens and xenoestrogens
(synthetic estrogens found in the environment proven to cause hormone sensitive
cancers).
Diindolylmethane (DIM)
DIM is another chemical compound naturally occurring in cruciferous vegetables that
effectively maintains hormone balance and works together with isothiocyanates and
sulfurophane to protect the body from the damaging effects of xenoestrogens.
Wasabi
Wasabi is rich in isothiocyanates and promotes a healthy level of the potent antioxidant
glutathione within the body. Glutathione is a powerful component of the Human
Detoxification System.
Pomegranate
Pomegranate extract offers the richest source of the polyphenol ellagic acid, which is
regarded as a highly potent antioxidant. Ellagic acid has been well researched and
proven to be an effective free radical scavenger that protects cells (including brain cells)
from the damaging effects of toxins in the body.
N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine
N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine increases the level of glutathione produced by the body.
Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that has been found to be particularly effective at removing heavy metals from the body.
Calcium-D-Glucarate
Calcium-D-Glucarate is another chemical compound found within cruciferous
vegetables that supports the healthy metabolism of systemic hormones and chemical carcinogens.*

This info taken from a PDF for Cell Guardian.
But it looks like to me that a diet of these cruciferus vegies would boost cell strength.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2009, 05:31:15 PM »
Ah, Vitamin D!! I have just recently started reading and realizing how important Vitamin D is for so many areas of health.  I started around 2,000 IU a day in Febuary because my doctor recommended it for Mood health. I have found out it does much more for your body than help with mood!

I happened upon this article that says Vitamin D can prevent being attacked by ones own immune system.

[New research suggests that influenza is also a disease triggered by vitamin D deficiency. Influenza virus exists in the population year-round, but influenza epidemics are seasonal and occur only in the winter (in northern latitudes), when vitamin D blood levels are at their nadir. Vitamin D-expressed genes instruct macrophages, the front-line defenders in the innate immune system, to make antimicrobial peptides, which are like antibiotics (Science 2006;311:1770–1773). These peptides attack and destroy influenza virus particles, and in human carriers keep it at bay. (Neutrophils and natural killer cells in the innate immune system and epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract also synthesize these virucidal peptides.) Other vitamin D-expressed genes rein in macrophages fighting an infection to keep them from overreacting and releasing too many inflammatory agents (cytokines) that can damage infected tissue. In the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, which killed 50 million people, of which 500,000 were Americans, young healthy adults (as happened to my 22-year-old grandmother) would wake up in the morning feeling well, start drowning in their own inflammation as the day wore on, and be dead by midnight. Autopsies showed complete destruction of the epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract due, as researchers now know, to a macrophage-induced overly severe inflammatory reaction to the virus. These flu victims were attacked and killed by their own immune system, something researchers have found vitamin D can prevent (Epidemiol Infect 2006;134:1129–1140). 

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller25.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/51913.php

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/10/21/avoid-flu-shots-vitamin-d-is-a-better-way.aspx

http://www.smartbodyz.com/Vitamin-D3-Deficiency-Avian-Bird-Flu.htm

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:04:39 PM by herbs girl »

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »
It seems like these recent influenza's are really aimed at the health nuts!

Beka

(it does make you wonder if any of those funky conspiracy deals are true . . .)

this is too funny, just before I read both of these posts, I read the previous ones out loud to Hub.  
His response?... "I know I sound paranoid but it sounds like this virus was engineered."

Great minds think alike or?

I just read this:

The current strain of influenza contains viral code fragments from:

• Swine flu from Asia
• Swine flu from Europe
• Bird Flu from North America
• Human influenza

...for this to have been a natural combination of viral fragments, it means an infected bird from North America would've had to infect some swine in Europe, then be re-infected by the same swine. A cross-species mutation would then have to occur allowing the bird to carry it again.  Then that bird would have had to fly to Asia, infect swine there, and those Asian pigs then mutate the virus once again (while preserving the European swine and bird flu elements) to become humanly transmittable, and then a human would have had to catch that virus from the Asian pigs -- in Mexico!-- and spread it to others.

Always remember you're unique - just like everybody else!

Offline Jo-Mama

• Learning
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2009, 07:04:13 PM »
This site is where I am keeping up on the info. on the swine flu. http://drtenpenny.com/swine_flu.aspx. Dr. Sherri Tenpenny D.O. "is respected as one of the country's most knowledgeable and outspoken physicians regarding the impact of vaccines on health."  She is the author of "FOWL! Bird Flu: It's Not What You Think"  Her suggestions for keeping healthy are alkaline water, sleep 8.5 hrs, vitamin D3 or sunshine, vitamin C,
and Mycel vitamin A drops.

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 02:17:31 AM »
what would you guys recommend for pregnant ladies to take to help keep immune systems boosted to try and keep from catching.
I have the berry well (elderberry syrup) from beeyoutiful and echinecia and vitamin C for the rest of my family to begin taking.  I am 12 weeks pregnant and I wasn't sure what would be safe for me to try and take.  thanks!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 02:25:42 AM »
Dr Mercola  speaks about The Swine Flu:

You can receive his newsletter by going to his website and signing up www.mercola.com

Critical Alert: The Swine Flu Pandemic – Fact or Fiction?

By Dr. Mercola

American health officials declared a public health emergency as cases of swine flu were confirmed in the U.S. Health officials across the world fear this could be the leading edge of a global pandemic emerging from Mexico, where seven people are confirmed dead as a result of the new virus.

On Monday April 27th, the World Health Organization (WHO) raised its pandemic alert level to four on its six-level threat scale,1 which means they've determined that the virus is capable of human-to-human transmission. The initial outbreaks across North America reveal an infection already traveling at higher velocity than did the last official pandemic strain, the 1968 Hong Kong flu.

swine fluThe number of fatalities, and suspected and confirmed cases across the world change depending on the source, so your best bet -- if you want the latest numbers -- is to use Google Maps' Swine Flu Tracker.

Several nations have imposed travel bans, or made plans to quarantine air travelers2 that present symptoms of the swine flu, such as:

* Fever of more than 100
    * Coughing
    * Runny nose and/or sore throat
    * Joint aches
    * Severe headache
    * Vomiting and/or diarrhea
    * Lethargy
    * Lack of appetite

Top global flu experts are trying to predict how dangerous the new swine flu strain will be, as it became clear that they had little information about Mexico's outbreak. It is as yet unclear how many cases occurred in the month or so before the outbreak was detected. It's also unknown whether the virus was mutating to be more lethal, or less.

Much Fear Mongering Being Promoted

I suspect you have likely been alarmed by the media's coverage of the swine flu scare. It has a noticeable subplot - preparing you for draconian measures to combat a future pandemic as well as forcing you to accept the idea of mandatory vaccinations.

On April 27, Time magazine published an article which discusses how dozens died and hundreds were injured from vaccines as a result of the 1976 swine flu fiasco, when the Ford administration attempted to use the infection of soldiers at Fort Dix as a pretext for a mass vaccination of the entire country.

Despite acknowledging that the 1976 farce was an example of “how not to handle a flu outbreak”, the article still introduces the notion that officials “may soon have to consider whether to institute draconian measures to combat the disease”.

WHO and CDC Pandemic Preparedness Seriously Broken

The pandemic warning system has failed as it simply doesn't exist, even in North America and Europe. To improve the system, massive new investments in surveillance, scientific and regulatory infrastructure, basic public health, and global access to common sense interventions like vitamin D optimization are required.

According to the Washington Post, the CDC did not learn about the outbreak until six days after Mexico had begun to impose emergency measures. There should be no excuses. The paradox of this swine flu panic is that, while totally unexpected, it was accurately predicted. Six years ago, Science dedicated a major story to evidence that "after years of stability, the North American swine flu virus has jumped onto an evolutionary fasttrack".

However, maybe this is precisely what public health authorities desire.

This is NOT the First Swine Flu Panic

My guess is that you can expect to see a lot of panic over this issue in the near future.  But the key is to remain calm -- this isn't the first time the public has been warned about swine flu. The last time was in 1976, right before I entered medical school and I remember it very clearly. It resulted in the massive swine flu vaccine campaign.

Do you happen to recall the result of this massive campaign?

Within a few months, claims totaling $1.3 billion had been filed by victims who had suffered paralysis from the vaccine. The vaccine was also blamed for 25 deaths.

However, several hundred people developed crippling Guillain-Barré Syndrome after they were injected with the swine flu vaccine. Even healthy 20-year-olds ended up as paraplegics.

And the swine flu pandemic itself? It never materialized.

More People Died From the Swine Flu Vaccine than Swine Flu!

It is very difficult to forecast a pandemic, and a rash response can be extremely damaging.

As of Monday April 27, the worldwide total number of confirmed cases was 82, according to WHO, which included 40 cases in the U.S., confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control.  But does that truly warrant the feverish news headlines?

To put things into perspective, malaria kills 3,000 people EVERY DAY, and it's considered "a health problem"...  But of course, there are no fancy vaccines for malaria that can rake in billions of dollars in a short amount of time.

One Australian news source,3 for example, states that even a mild swine flu epidemic could lead to the deaths of 1.4 million people and would reduce economic growth by nearly $5 trillion dollars.

Give me a break, if this doesn't sound like the outlandish cries of the pandemic bird-flu I don't know what does. Do you remember when President Bush said two million Americans would die as a result of the bird flu? 

In 2005, in 2006, 2007, and again in 2008, those fears were exposed as little more than a cruel hoax, designed to instill fear, and line the pocketbooks of various individuals and industry. I became so convinced by the evidence AGAINST the possibility of a bird flu pandemic that I wrote a New York Times bestselling book, The Bird Flu Hoax, all about the massive fraud involved with the epidemic that never happened..

swine fluWhat is the Swine Flu?

Regular swine flu is a contagious respiratory disease, caused by a type-A influenza virus that affects pigs. The current strain, A(H1N1),  is a new variation of an H1N1 virus -- which causes seasonal flu outbreaks in humans -- that also contains genetic material of bird and pig versions of the flu.

Interestingly enough, this version has never before been seen in neither human nor animal, which I will discuss a bit later.

This does sound bad. But not so fast. There are a few reasons to not rush to conclusions that this is the deadly pandemic we've been told would occur in the near future (as if anyone could predict it without having some sort of inside knowledge).
Why a True Bird- or Swine Flu Pandemic is HIGHLY Unlikely

While in my opinion it is highly likely factory farming is responsible for producing this viral strain, I believe there is still no cause for concern.

You may not know this, but all H1N1 flu's are descendants of the 1918 pandemic strain. The reason why the flu shot may or may not work, however, from year to year, is due to mutations. Therefore, there's no vaccine available for this current hybrid flu strain, and naturally, this is feeding the fear that millions of people will die before a vaccine can be made.

However, let me remind you of one very important fact here.

Just a couple of months ago, scientists concluded that the 1918 flu pandemic that killed between 50-100 million people worldwide in a matter of 18 months -- which all these worst case scenarios are built upon -- was NOT due to the flu itself!4

Instead, they discovered the real culprit was strep infections.

People with influenza often get what is known as a "superinfection" with a bacterial agent. In 1918 it appears to have been Streptococcus pneumoniae.

Since strep is much easier to treat than the flu using modern medicine, a new pandemic would likely be much less dire than it was in the early 20th century, the researchers concluded.

Others, such as evolutionary biologist Paul Ewald,5 claim that a pandemic of this sort simply cannot happen, because in order for it to occur, the world has to change. Not the virus itself, but the world.

In a previous interview for Esquire magazine, in which he discusses the possibility of a bird flu pandemic, he states:

"They think that if a virus mutates, it's an evolutionary event. Well, the virus is mutating because that is what viruses and other pathogens do. But evolution is not just random mutation. It is random mutation coupled with natural selection; it is a battle for competitive advantage among different strains generated by random mutation.

For bird flu to evolve into a human pandemic, the strain that finds a home in humanity has to be a strain that is both highly virulent and highly transmissible. Deadliness has to translate somehow into popularity; H5N1 has to find a way to kill or immobilize its human hosts, and still find other hosts to infect. Usually that doesn't happen."

Ewald goes on to explain that evolution in general is all about trade-offs, and in the evolution of infections the trade-off is between virulence and transmissibility.

What this means is that in order for a "bird flu" or "swine flu" to turn into a human pandemic, it has to find an environment that favors both deadly virulence and ease of transmission.

People living in squalor on the Western Front at the end of World War I generated such an environment, from which the epidemic of 1918 could arise.

Likewise, crowded chicken farms, slaughterhouses, and jam-packed markets of eastern Asia provide another such environment, and that environment gave rise to the bird flu -- a pathogen that both kills and spreads, in birds, but not in humans.

Says Ewald:

"We know that H5N1 is well adapted to birds. We also know that it has a hard time becoming a virus that can move from person to person. It has a hard time without our doing anything. But we can make it harder. We can make sure it has no human population in which to evolve transmissibility. There is no need to rely on the mass extermination of chickens. There is no need to stockpile vaccines for everyone.

By vaccinating just the people most at risk -- the people who work with chickens and the caregivers -- we can prevent it from becoming transmissible among humans. Then it doesn't matter what it does in chickens."

Please remember that, despite the fantastic headlines and projections of MILLIONS of deaths, the H5N1 bird flu virus killed a mere 257 people worldwide since late 2003. As unfortunate as those deaths are, 257 deaths worldwide from any disease, over the course of five years, simply does not constitute an emergency worthy of much attention, let alone fear!

Honestly, your risk of being killed by a lightning strike in the last five years was about 2,300 percent higher than your risk of contracting and dying from the bird flu.6 I'm not kidding! In just one year (2004), more than 1,170 people died from lighting strikes, worldwide.7

So please, as the numbers of confirmed swine flu cases are released, keep a level head and don't let fear run away with your brains.

So is the Swine Flu Getting More or Less Dangerous?

On Sunday, April 26, The Independent reported that more than 1,000 people had contracted the swine flu virus in Mexico, 8 but by the afternoon that same day, Mexican President Calderon declared that more than two-thirds of the 1,300 thought to have contracted the disease had been given a clean bill of health and sent home.9

Additionally, the number of actual confirmed cases appears to be far lower than reported in many media outlets, leading me to believe that many reporters are interchanging the terms "suspected cases" and "confirmed cases."

Interestingly Mexico is the ONLY country in the world where someone has actually died from this disease.Mexico has reported 152 fatalities in flu-like cases in recent days, seven of which have been confirmed as swine flu. Another 19 patients have been confirmed as having swine flu but surviving. About 2,000 people have been hospitalized with symptoms.
By contrast, the United States has had 64 confirmed cases, five hospitalizations and no deaths

According to the World Health Organization's Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response site; as of April 27, there are:

* 64 laboratory confirmed cases in U.S. -- 0 deaths (reported by CDC as of April 29)
    * 26 confirmed cases in Mexico -- 7 deaths
    * 6 confirmed cases in Canada -- 0 deaths
    * 1 confirmed case in Spain -- 0 deaths

Additionally, nearly all suspected new cases have been reported as mild.

Personally, I am highly skeptical. It simply doesn't add up to a real pandemic.

But it does raise serious questions about where this brand new, never before seen virus came from, especially since it cannot be contracted from eating pork products, and has never before been seen in pigs, and contains traits from the bird flu -- and which, so far, only seems to respond to Tamiflu. Are we just that lucky, or... what?

Your Fear Will Make Some People VERY Rich in Today's Crumbling Economy

swine flu According to the Associated Press at least one financial analyst estimates up to $388 million worth of Tamiflu sales in the near future10 -- and that's without a pandemic outbreak.

More than half a dozen pharmaceutical companies, including Gilead Sciences Inc., Roche, GlaxoSmithKline and other companies with a stake in flu treatments and detection, have seen a rise in their shares in a matter of days, and will likely see revenue boosts if the swine flu outbreak continues to spread.

As soon as Homeland Security declared a health emergency, 25 percent -- about 12 million doses -- of Tamiflu and Relenza treatment courses were released from the nation's stockpile. However, beware that the declaration also allows unapproved tests and drugs to be administered to children. Many health- and government officials are more than willing to take that chance with your life, and the life of your child. But are you?

Remember, Tamiflu went through some rough times not too long ago, as the dangers of this drug came to light when, in 2007, the FDA finally began investigating some 1,800 adverse event reports related to the drug. Common side effects of Tamiflu include:

* Nausea
    * Vomiting
    * Diarrhea
    * Headache
    * Dizziness
    * Fatigue
    * Cough

All in all, the very symptoms you're trying to avoid.

More serious symptoms included convulsions, delirium or delusions, and 14 deaths in children and teens as a result of neuropsychiatric problems and brain infections (which led Japan to ban Tamiflu for children in 2007). And that's for a drug that, when used as directed, only reduces the duration of influenza symptoms by 1 to 1 ½ days, according to the official data.

But making matters worse, some patients with influenza are at HIGHER risk for secondary bacterial infections when on Tamiflu. And secondary bacterial infections, as I mentioned earlier, was likely the REAL cause of the mass fatalities during the 1918 pandemic!

Where did This Mysterious New Animal-Human Flu Strain Come From?

Alongside the fear-mongering headlines, I've also seen increasing numbers of reports questioning the true nature of this virus. And rightfully so.

Could a mixed animal-human mutant like this occur naturally? And if not, who made it, and how was it released?

Not one to dabble too deep in conspiracy theories, I don't have to strain very hard to find actual facts to support the notion that this may not be a natural mutation, and that those who stand to gain have the wherewithal to pull off such a stunt.

Just last month I reported on the story that the American pharmaceutical company Baxter was under investigation for distributing the deadly avian flu virus to 18 different countries as part of a seasonal flu vaccine shipment. Czech reporters were probing to see if it may have been part of a deliberate attempt to start a pandemic; as such a "mistake" would be virtually impossible under the security protocols of that virus.

The H5N1 virus on its own is not very airborne. However, when combined with seasonal flu viruses, which are more easily spread, the effect could be a potent, airborne, deadly, biological weapon. If this batch of live bird flu and seasonal flu viruses had reached the public, it could have resulted in dire consequences.

There is a name for this mixing of viruses; it's called "reassortment," and it is one of two ways pandemic viruses are created in the lab. Some scientists say the most recent global outbreak -- the 1977 Russian flu -- was started by a virus created and leaked from a laboratory.

Another example of the less sterling integrity of Big Pharma is the case of Bayer, who sold millions of dollars worth of an injectable blood-clotting medicine to Asian, Latin American, and some European countries in the mid-1980s, even though they knew it was tainted with the AIDS virus.

So while it is morally unthinkable that a drug company would knowingly contaminate flu vaccines with a deadly flu virus such as the bird- or swine flu, it is certainly not impossible. It has already happened more than once.

But there seems to be no repercussions or hard feelings when industry oversteps the boundaries of morality and integrity and enters the arena of obscenity. Because, lo and behold, which company has been chosen to head up efforts, along with WHO, to produce a vaccine against the Mexican swine flu?

Baxter!11 Despite the fact that ink has barely dried on the investigative reports from their should-be-criminal "mistake" against humanity.

According to other sources,12 a top scientist for the United Nations, who has examined the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in Africa, as well as HIV/AIDS victims, has concluded that the current swine flu virus possesses certain transmission "vectors" that suggest the new strain has been genetically-manufactured as a military biological warfare weapon.

The UN expert believes that Ebola, HIV/AIDS, and the current A-H1N1 swine flu virus are biological warfare agents.

In addition, Army criminal investigators are looking into the possibility that disease samples are missing from biolabs at Fort Detrick -- the same Army research lab from which the 2001 anthrax strain was released, according to a recent article in the Fredrick News Post.13 In February, the top biodefense lab halted all its research into Ebola, anthrax, plague, and other diseases known as "select agents," after they discovered virus samples that weren't listed in its inventory and might have been switched with something else.

Factory Farming Maybe Source of Swine Flu

Another theory as to the cause of Swine Flu might be factory farming. In the United States, pigs travel coast to coast. They can be bred in North Carolina, fattened in the corn belt of Iowa, and slaughtered in California.

While this may reduce short-term costs for the pork industry, the highly contagious nature of diseases like influenza (perhaps made further infectious by the stresses of transport) needs to be considered when calculating the true cost of long-distance live animal transport.

The majority of U.S. pig farms now confine more than 5,000 animals each. With a group of 5,000 animals, if a novel virus shows up it will have more opportunity to replicate and potentially spread than in a group of 100 pigs on a small farm.

With massive concentrations of farm animals within which to mutate, these new swine flu viruses in North America seem to be on an evolutionary fast track, jumping and reassorting between species at an unprecedented rate.

Should You Accept a Flu Vaccine -- Just to be Safe?

As stated in the New York Times14 and elsewhere, flu experts have no idea whether the current seasonal flu vaccine would offer any protection whatsoever against this exotic mutant, and it will take months to create a new one.

But let me tell you, getting vaccinated now would not only offer no protection and potentially cause great harm, it would most likely be loaded with toxic mercury which is used as a preservative in most flu vaccines..

I've written extensively about the numerous dangers (and ineffectiveness) of flu vaccines, and why I do not recommend them to anyone. So no matter what you hear -- even if it comes from your doctor -- don't get a regular flu shot. They rarely work against seasonal flu...and certainly can't offer protection against a never-before- seen strain.

Currently, the antiviral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza are the only drugs that appear effective against the (human flu) H1N1 virus, and I strongly believe taking Tamiflu to protect yourself against this new virus could be a serious mistake -- for all the reasons I already mentioned above.

But in addition to the dangerous side effects of Tamiflu, there is also growing evidence of resistance against the drug. In February, the pre-publication and preliminary findings journal called Nature Precedings published a paper on this concern, stating15:

The dramatic rise of oseltamivir [Tamiflu] resistance in the H1N1 serotype in the 2007/2008 season and the fixing of H274Y in the 2008/2009 season has raised concerns regarding individuals at risk for seasonal influenza, as well as development of similar resistance in the H5N1 serotype [bird flu].

Previously, oseltamivir resistance produced changes in H1N1 and H3N2 at multiple positions in treated patients. In contrast, the recently reported resistance involved patients who had not recently taken oseltamivir.

It's one more reason not to bother with this potentially dangerous drug.

And, once a specific swine flu drug is created, you can be sure that it has not had the time to be tested in clinical trials to determine safety and effectiveness, which puts us right back where I started this article -- with a potential repeat of the last dangerous swine flu vaccine, which destroyed the lives of hundreds of people.

Topping the whole mess off, of course, is the fact that if the new vaccine turns out to be a killer, the pharmaceutical companies responsible are immune from lawsuits -- something I've also warned about before on numerous occasions.

Unfortunately, those prospects won't stop the governments of the world from mandating the vaccine -- a scenario I hope we can all avoid.

How to Protect Yourself Without Dangerous Drugs and Vaccinations

For now, my point is that there are always going to be threats of flu pandemics, real or created, and there will always be potentially toxic vaccines that are peddled as the solution. But you can break free of that whole drug-solution trap by following some natural health principles.

I have not caught a flu in over two decades, and you can avoid it too, without getting vaccinated, by following these simple guidelines, which will keep your immune system in optimal working order so that you're far less likely to acquire the infection to begin with.

* Optimize your vitamin D levels. As I've previously reported, optimizing your vitamin D levels is one of the absolute best strategies for avoiding infections of ALL kinds, and vitamin D deficiency is likely the TRUE culprit behind the seasonality of the flu -- not the flu virus itself.

This is probably the single most important and least expensive action you can take. I would STRONGLY urge you to have your vitamin D level monitored to confirm your levels are therapeutic at 50-70 ng.ml and done by a reliable vitamin D lab like Lab Corp.

For those of you in the US we hope to launch a vitamin D testing service through Lab Corp that allows you to have your vitamin D levels checked at your local blood drawing facility, and relatively inexpensively. We hope to offer this service by June 2009.

If you are coming down with flu like symptoms and have not been on vitamin D you can take doses of 50,000 units a day for three days to treat the acute infection. Some researchers like Dr. Cannell, believe the dose could even be as high as 1000 units per pound of body weight for three days.

Avoid Sugar and Processed Foods. Sugar decreases the function of your immune system almost immediately, and as you likely know, a strong immune system is key to fighting off viruses and other illness. Be aware that sugar is present in foods you may not suspect, like ketchup and fruit juice.

Get Enough Rest. Just like it becomes harder for you to get your daily tasks done if you're tired, if your body is overly fatigued it will be harder for it to fight the flu. Be sure to check out my article Guide to a Good Night's Sleep for some great tips to help you get quality rest.

Have Effective Tools to Address Stress . We all face some stress every day, but if stress becomes overwhelming then your body will be less able to fight off the flu and other illness.

If you feel that stress is taking a toll on your health, consider using an energy psychology tool such as the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), which is remarkably effective in relieving stress associated with all kinds of events, from work to family to trauma. You can check out my free, 25-page EFT manual for some guidelines on how to perform EFT.

Exercise. When you exercise, you increase your circulation and your blood flow throughout your body. The components of your immune system are also better circulated, which means your immune system has a better chance of finding an illness before it spreads. You can review my exercise guidelines for some great tips on how to get started.

Take a good source of animal based omega-3 fats like Krill Oil. Increase your intake of healthy and essential fats like the omega-3 found in krill oil, which is crucial for maintaining health. It is also vitally important to avoid damaged omega-6 oils that are trans fats and in processed foods as it will seriously damage your immune response.

Wash Your Hands. Washing your hands will decrease your likelihood of spreading a virus to your nose, mouth or other people. Be sure you don't use antibacterial soap for this -- antibacterial soaps are completely unnecessary, and they cause far more harm than good. Instead, identify a simple chemical-free soap that you can switch your family to.

Eat Garlic Regularly. Garlic works like a broad-spectrum antibiotic against bacteria, virus, and protozoa in the body. And unlike with antibiotics, no resistance can be built up so it is an absolutely safe product to use. However, if you are allergic or don't enjoy garlic it would be best to avoid as it will likely cause more harm than good.
    * Avoid Hospitals and Vaccines In this particular case, I'd also recommend you stay away from hospitals unless you're having an emergency, as hospitals are prime breeding grounds for infections of all kinds, and could be one of the likeliest places you could be exposed to this new bug.  Vaccines will not be available for six months at the minimum but when available they will be ineffective and can lead to crippling paralysis like Guillain-Barré Syndrome just as it did in the 70s.
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 04:35:57 AM »

...for this to have been a natural combination of viral fragments, it means an infected bird from North America would've had to infect some swine in Europe, then be re-infected by the same swine. A cross-species mutation would then have to occur allowing the bird to carry it again.  Then that bird would have had to fly to Asia, infect swine there, and those Asian pigs then mutate the virus once again (while preserving the European swine and bird flu elements) to become humanly transmittable, and then a human would have had to catch that virus from the Asian pigs -- in Mexico!-- and spread it to others.

Actually, humans have been carrying H1N1, well, since at least the 1918 pandemic (and probably versions of the others you mentioned as well).  A virus does not need to be in the 'original' host species to mutate.  The thing is, viruses are brilliant micro-organisms who have an amazing ability to communicate with one another and adapt/mutate.  They can even learn to beat antibiotics to which they've never been exposed.  Scary , huh? :).  For a good glimpse on their ability to mutate and learn from each other and their hosts, I recommend the book Herbal Antibiotics from Harold Bruhner. 

Eveny year, the 'regular' flu mutates into other strains, which is why they can't nail it down to 'cure' it.  My dh was telling me that even in a pandemic, the flu mutates into stronger strains, and there are usually waves of outbreaks. 

Which brings me to my next point.  Even though it's tougher for a virus to 'beat' natural cures, I still think it would be a good idea to rotate through some different treatment options if your famliy comes down with it.  In other words, plan on having more than one plan of attach.  Just my .02.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:37:47 AM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline GracesMomFLA

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 04:39:44 AM »
First, i really like this site! I have been reading, and there are so many good recommendations! I am going to try oreganol and Anti-V, to boost my immune system. i know stress is no good, but this swine flu is alarming. I can not get out much, so i do most shopping online.
i like this company (order my multi from them) and i saw they had this page up, with good links and info. it may already be covered here, this site is so complete. but, in case this helps (?). i don't really know what I am doing- ha.
Vitamin Discount Center
info page and products for preventing flu, boost immunity
http://www.vdcusa.com/flu.html

I hope that is contributing here. many thanks to all who post such good information. smiles from Florida
Grace's Mom

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2009, 07:10:35 AM »
bump
------
what would you guys recommend for pregnant ladies to take to help keep immune systems boosted to try and keep from catching.
I have the berry well (elderberry syrup) from beeyoutiful and echinecia and vitamin C for the rest of my family to begin taking.  I am 12 weeks pregnant and I wasn't sure what would be safe for me to try and take.  thanks!

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2009, 07:39:59 AM »
Here's a link to the Dr. Mercola article.  I thought it might be useful for forwarding or printing.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/29/Swine-Flu.aspx

Great article!  Thank you all for posting it.

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 08:12:55 AM »

What about astragalus? olive leaf? You might want to double check the safety of these, just be to sure, but I think these are okay. A healthy diet in general, with lots of fresh fruits & veggies. Colostrum would be okay to take. Propolis, bee pollen, extra probiotics, are all other things I can think of. You might want to check this thread from the pregnancy section. http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3159.0.html

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2009, 08:57:10 AM »
This an article is about how to avoid the Swine Flu and how to take care of your family if contracted. I have read all of Shonda's books and really appreciate her well researched, evidence based, and herbal approach! A very thorough article. http://www.naturallyhealthy.org/blog/

Swine Flu  
Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 08:39 AM

“Swine flu,” “Officials are worried,” “People dying,” “State of Public Health Emergency.” There’s certainly been no shortage of news stories regarding the swine flu outbreak. Health officials are urging people to prepare for a possible pandemic situation by creating emergency phone number lists, as well to prepare for the possibility of staying home without the ability to go out for 2-3 days.

Reports that this particular strain of swine flu is susceptible to the antiviral drugs oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and zanamivir (Relenza) but not amantadine (Symmetrel) and rimantadine (Flumadine) are causing most people with any flu-like symptoms at all to visit their doctor or emergency room. At the same time, centers for public policy, such as The Hastings Center, are urging Non-Pharmaceutical Intervention (NPI). For The Hastings Center, this translates to encouraging the individuals and communities to voluntarily isolate and quarantine oneself and family if ill, school and work officials to voluntarily close schools or workplaces if an outbreak occurs, and all to engage in social distancing measures such as cancelling gatherings and events and closing public transportation.

For our family, our non-pharmaceutical intervention will go a couple steps further by:

• Building body system health to decrease illness risk;
• Re-stocking our home herbal medicine chest to include remedies appropriate for flu prevention and treatment; and
• Gathering items needed in our home should we need to keep to ourselves for a few days.

What is the flu?
Influenza is a viral infection caused by Orthomyxoviruses. They are divided into three different types: A, B and C. Influenza, types A and B, are the primary causes of epidemic disease. Type C is more of a sporadic cause of mostly upper respiratory tract illness. Influenza, types A and B, are further divided into distinct strains that appear to be prevalent and circulating on a yearly basis throughout the population.

• Influenza, type A, involves animal hosts that serve as a reservoir for human disease. In this instance, pigs (swine) were the hosts. Bird hosts may be responsible for significant spread of disease throughout the country. Influenza type B has no identified animal reservoir.

Children have fewer influenza antibodies to circulating strains, which makes their infection rate higher than the general population. In addition, they have a much higher and prolonged shedding of the virus than adults, making them very effective transmitters of the disease.

Influenza is transmitted through aerosolized respiratory droplets, meaning all you have to do is breathe where someone is sneezing, coughing, or otherwise expelling their droplets into the air and onto surfaces to be picked up by other unsuspecting hands to contract the disease. Hand-washing and avoidance of folks with “expelling” symptoms is a primary means of avoiding “the flu.”

Since influenza type A strains with the H1N1 and H3N2 serotypes and type B strains are circulating together in any given year, vaccination with a specific type predicted to be dominant is not a fool-proof way to avoid influenza infection. Variants of these serotypes are possible in different geographic areas, making the flu shot somewhat of a crap shoot (I’m not being ugly-mouthed here, that is an actual gambling game).

What are the symptoms?
Symptoms of flu typically come on suddenly, making the sufferer feel as though they’ve been hit by a freight train: extreme fatigue, headache, fever, body aches, possibly sore throat and a cough. This particular swine flu appears to also cause possible diarrhea and vomiting symptoms as well.

The best way to tell the flu apart from the common cold is that cold symptoms tend to arrive one per day over a several day period (the scratchy throat leads to sneezing which leads to stuffy nose and sniffles which lead to coughing until all the symptoms are mixed in, coming and going for a 7-10 day period without any self-care). The flu, on the other hand, hits a person who feels fine, perhaps a little more tired than normal at 8:00 a.m., then at 10:00 or 11:00 a.m., Whammo!, their throat is terribly sore, they have chills and fever, they’re head feels like it’s going to explode off a body that is so achy and tired, they can’t imagine feeling well enough to lift themselves out of their office chair to get home to crawl into bed.

When exposed to influenza virus, the incubation period can be as short as 48-72 hours, with viral replication in the body (the virus keeps growing and shedding) occurring for 10-14 days. Primary symptoms of influenza types A and B are in order of relative frequency of reported symptoms:

• Chills
• Dry cough
• Headache
• Sore throat
• Prostration (have to lie down due to overwhelming fatigue)
• Nasal stuffiness
• Diarrhea
• Dizziness
• Eye irritation or pain
• Vomiting
• Myalgia (body aches).
Signs of “flu” include:
• Fever
• Sore throat
• Conjunctivitis (mild)
• Runny nose
• Lymph node enlargement in neck
• Lung rales, wheezes or rattles.

These symptoms may develop into croup, bronchiolitis and pneumonia. The duration of the fever illness is generally 2-4 days, although the cough and small airway dysfunction can persist for weeks later. Children and pregnant moms may appear more “toxic,” with vomiting and more severe illness manifestation, while adults generally do not have nausea and vomiting with influenza – though this strain does appear to cause these symptoms in some. Influenza is usually diagnosed during an epidemic by the symptoms of fever, fatigue and respiratory symptoms.

What’s the difference in influenza virus strains?
Type A influenza viruses usually cause more significant symptoms and complications than Type B influenza viruses. This strain of swine flu has been identified as a Influenza Type A, H1N1 virus.

The Public Health Risk from Flu
There is no question that this swine flu outbreak is a public health threat. In the past few years, deaths from the flu have increased from around 20,000 each year to close to 36,000 each year. People do die from the flu.

Now, we’ve all heard reports of people dying from suspected swine flu in Mexico. Generally, around 92 children die each year from influenza. Identified swine flu in the U.S. have been slightly more predominantly among males (51% male/49% female). Of the 47 cases in the U.S. reported as of April 28, 2009, the median age of infected individuals was 16 years (range of 3 – 81 years), with 38 (81%) of those cases in persons under 18 years of age. No deaths have been reported in the U.S., though five of the 47 cases have been hospitalized due to illness severity.

Whatever the numbers, as a responsible parent, I must take this year’s flu seriously and consider ways to reduce my family’s risk of contracting the disease.

A Real Public Health Message
The best prevention is reduced interaction or exposure. Yes, this is not the one we like to hear. It’s not a shot or a health pill; it’s a lifestyle change. Because it depends upon personal responsibility, you won’t be seeing news coverage focused on lessening exposure rather than the easier route for compliance of vaccinations (odd that we’d rather have needles jabbed into us rather than stay home more), anymore than you’ll suddenly see a national public health campaign for abstinence rather than the false security campaign of so-called safe sex.

Why can we connect the dots of “exposure leads to possible health consequences” where sex is concerned and we cannot when it’s just a respiratory bug or stomach bug (the just is jest as what is not a big deal in illness to one person could be deadly in the person sitting next to them on the schoolbus, restaurant, department store, office, pew, etc.).

There are a number of strategies we can employ to reduce our risk of serious illness, and the following are a few of our methods.

Active Prevention Strategy #1
Unless it is necessary for you to be out, stay home. Carefully evaluate the activity and the risk of illness to both your family and those who may be affected if you become ill.

This requires a careful evaluation of activities. Rather than simply say, “Well, the holiday barbeque is this weekend and I’m supposed to bring pickles,” maybe we need to say, “Is the risk to our family and those who will be affected by our becoming ill worth this event?” A number of years ago, our oldest daughter Emily was about to be in her first Nutcracker production in Fort Worth, Texas. I was early pregnant with Zeb and already threatening miscarriage. I took her to the dress rehearsal due to a feeling of “The show must go on.”

All the other little “angels” were being medicated with fever reducers, cough medications, because, as one mother put it, “she’s got the flu.” I walked out of the room, thought “Is being in this ballet more important than our babe-in-the-womb’s life?” The answer was, of course, “no.” We explained to the ballet director, who had plenty of angels for the show to go on, and left (and yes, we all stayed well, despite a terrible flu year where everyone else we knew became ill.

Another year, almost the whole family was in the Nutcracker. A terrible stomach bug was going around during production, but we performed anyway. We didn’t want the bug, but none of our lives were at risk. We went, and yes, we all got sick (and stayed home until all symptoms had been gone for 5 days). Different years, different situations, different choices.

Active Prevention Strategy #2
Drink a minimum of 2 quarts of water daily. Moist mucous membranes are less likely than dry mucous membranes to allow germs to “set up housekeeping.” If we become infected with the flu virus, hydration becomes of utmost importance due to the typical high fever. Despite feeling like we don’t want to, we must continue to drink. A dehydrated body is one that is highly susceptible to serious complications or death from any illness. Fluids are essential.

Active Prevention Strategy #3
Clean Hands for Health

Contrary to what we are told by marketing experts, antibacterial soap is not necessary for adequate cleaning of hands. Simple soap and water will do the job just fine. Soap contains surfactants that have both a water-repelling end and a water-attracting end. When mixed with water that is warm or hot (cold water doesn’t dissolve the soap very easily), the soap dissolves, and the surfactant molecules lower the surface tension of the water which makes it easier to loosen particles on the object being cleaned. These same surfactant molecules combined with water hold onto the dirty particles so they can be rinsed away.

Thus, washing hands is as easy as: wet the hands, lather with soap, rub the soapy water all over the hands and fingers, cleaning underneath fingernails and in cuticle areas, for at least 20-30 seconds. Rinse and repeat.

Hand-washing should be done several times daily and certainly before eating, after using a bathroom, public or at home, and after they’ve been “contaminated” with a cough or sneeze or after shaking hands with someone.

Ladies have things a bit easier than men in that it is we who are have the option to initiate hand-shaking or not. We can simply nod our heads, smile and utter a polite greeting rather than offering our hand for shaking. If we cannot avoid shaking hands and we cannot get to a sink to wash up, we can use the personal hand sanitizers made with alcohol* or we can simply avoid touching our face or mouth until we can politely excuse ourselves to the bathroom to wash.

In a public bathroom, hands should actually be washed prior to using the toilet if a doorknob or other surface has been touched on the way in. One way to avoid the washing first upon entering rule is to grab a paper towel on the way in if we’ve not had to touch a doorknob upon entering. The paper towel can then be used to open the stall door and lock it. After using the toilet, hands should be washed with soap, the faucet shut off using a towel.

And, just as important, don’t touch the door on the way out. Use a towel to grab the door handle then throw the towel in the garbage on the way out. If there is no waste basket near the door and you cannot figure out a way to open the door without using your hands, open the door with the toel protecting the hands then throw the towel on the floor. Better to teach the establishment the need for a waste basket than risk becoming ill from the myriad of germs that enter that bathroom each day.

*If making use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers, please note it can take up to 10 minutes for germs on the hands to be effectively killed off, so don’t touch your mouth, nose, or eyes during the 10-minute wait period.

Active Prevention Strategy #4
Cleaning Up On Money

After handling change (bills and coins) given in business establishments, wash hands or clean with hand sanitizer. This would also apply to anything else we touch in public.

Active Prevention Strategy #5
Sickies Stay Home

If you have a contagious ailment (signified by sniffling, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.), stay home and try to stay apart from family members as much as possible until after the acute symptoms have subsided. Again, this is the single most effective method of reducing the spread of disease in our communities.

Generally, illnesses are passed in the winter due to close contact with others in work or school environments by those who refuse or feel they simply do not have the freedom to stay home. Teach others to stay home by gently encouraging others who are out and ill to take care of their body by going home and resting. Employers would find greater job productivity if those who were ill stayed home rather than infecting co-workers thus increasing absentee rates.

Active Prevention Strategy #6

If you are ill and going out is an absolute must:

 Wash hands frequently, following the guidelines for washing above.
 Cover the mouth and nose with a tissue when sneezing or coughing. If the sneeze or cough hits before you can reach a tissue, direct the cough or sneeze into the crook of the elbow or down the shirt, so that only your own body is contaminated with your germs. Then wash hands as soon as possible.
 Avoid public areas and close contact with others.
 Consider a disposable N95 respirator for yourself and those with whom you have no choice but to come into contact.
 After touching common surfaces with co-workers or co-transit riders, wash hands. Better yet, use some type of hand sanitizer prior to touching to prevent the spread of germs to others.
 Use a tissue or paper towel to open and close doors.
 And for community’s sake, don’t shake hands!

Active Prevention Strategy #7
Disinfect House Hotspots

Don’t forget to disinfect all the doorknobs, all handles used, light switches, telephones and remote controls weekly to remove the germs that have taken up residence during the week. If anyone has a cold or other illness, they should avoid touching community items or surfaces unless they have washed their hands first to help keep from passing on their germs.

Also, toys should be cleaned regularly with solutions of soap and water or hydrogen peroxide. If there’s been a serious infectious illness in the home, it may be necessary to clean toys with one part bleach to nine parts water. Whenever using bleach or significant germicides on children’s playthings, always rinse thoroughly before allowing the children to play with them again. Another method of disinfection we have employed on bright, sunny days is to place the toys in the sunlight and let the sun’s sanitizing rays do their work.

Active Prevention Strategy #8
Elderberry supplements taken as daily preventive

Elderberry, Samubucus nigra
Parts used: flowers, fruit

Active Constituents: Flavonoids, rutin, quercitin, hyperoside, isoquercitin, astragalin, nicotoflorin; Glycoside, sambunigrine; Volatile oil, palmitic acid; Tannin; Mucilage; Anthocyanin; Vitamin C; Caffeic acid, chlorogenic.

Biochemical Actions: Diaphoretic, Increased bronchial secretion

Medicinal Uses: Colds; antioxidant; one study showed insulin-like activity; and increased urine flow and sodium excretion. Some early studies on elderberry show a reduction in the risk of contracting the flu if given twice daily as a preventive, increasing to four times daily upon exposure. The maker of Sambucol states that elderberry reduces the flu virus’s ability to penetrate our cells. The latest studies show a reduction in the duration of the flu if elderberry is taken (from 6-7 days down to 2-3 days).

Safety Issues: No known contraindications, side effects or interactions with other drugs.

General dosage: 10-15 grams of elderflower daily; 1.5-3 grams fluid extract daily; 2.5-7.5 grams of tincture daily. Use only cooked berries for syrups, teas, tinctures, or TincTracts: Syrups: 1-2 Tablespoons for adults daily; 1-2 teaspoons up to three times daily for children; Tea: 1/2 - 1 cup up to four times daily for children or adults; Tinctures or TincTracts: 2 teaspoons up to four times daily for adults or 1/2-1 teaspoon up to four times daily for children.

Our favorite for children is Yummy Yarrow and Elderberry from www.trilightherbs.com. Sambucol from your local health food store is a choice, though it is thick and not-so-great tasting.

Active Prevention Strategy #9
Echinacea supplements upon exposure or onset of symptoms

Echinacea, Echinacea angustifolia, E. pallida, E. purpurea
Parts Used: Above-ground parts harvested at flowering time; root

Active Constituents: Phenylpropenoids, echinacoside glycosides; caffaric acid; chicoric acid, aynarine; Alkylamide, tartaric acid; Alkaloids, tussilagine, isotussilagine, tetraen acid, isobutylamide; Polysaccharides, inulin, heteroxylin, arabinorhamnogalactans, fructose; Essential oils, palmitic, linolenic; Flavonoid, rutin.

Biochemical Actions: Immunostimulant; Antiinfective; Inhibits hylaluronidase, found in pathogenic organisms.

Medicinal Uses: Supportive therapy for colds, influenza, chronic infections of the respiratory and lower urinary tract. May also be used externally for poorly healing wounds and chronic ulcerations.

Safety Issues: Contraindicated in progressive systemic diseases, such as tuberculosis, leukosis, collagenosis, multiple sclerosis, AIDS, HIV infection, and other auto-immune diseases.

General dosages: Tincture (1:5) with 50% ethanol, corresponding to 900mg of herb daily. For fresh-expressed juice or equivalent preparations, 6-9ml daily. External semi-solid preparations should contain at least 15% pressed juice. TincTract: ¼ to ½ teaspoon every 2 hours upon exposure or onset of symptoms.

Active Prevention Strategy #10
Do not take any medications that do not say “Non-aspirin pain relievers” during the flu. Some researchers are trying to ascertain whether the higher death rate in children could be due to encephalitis and wondering whether this may be partly due to the administration of aspirin or other pain medications such as ibuprofen during a bout with the flu. There is a rare but real risk of Reye’s syndrome if anything other than non-aspirin pain-relievers are given during the flu. Just don’t do it!

Your greatest ally is accurate information, which is sometimes very hard to find. Be informed. Research influenza, vaccines, and self-care and medical intervention until you are able to make an informed decision for your family regarding your plan for the rest of the flu season. Even the most rational of voices can get the data wrong or be moved by personal experience to color an argument in such as way as to sway even the most discerning of readers or listeners.

We can be a pinball that merely reacts to the forces impelling us, or we can be a cue stick, directing our efforts effectively, recognizing that Providence can re-direct as He wills.

Specific Protocol for Influenza:

Nutritional Intervention:
• Increase fluid intake to 8 ounces of water every hour during acute phase of illness.
• Limit food to light foods: fruit, steamed vegetables, broth. We’ve often fasted during the acute phase of the illness (1st 48 hours), with the exception of water and herb intake, and we usually recover completely within those 48 hours.

Physical Intervention:
• Bed rest is imperative for full and quick recovery. Taking either over-the-counter pharmaceuticals or herbs to be able to “keep going” with the flu will only backfire on the individual with more lost time due to slower, full recovery or relapse or complication of the flu.

Botanical and Nutritional Supplement Recommendations:
• Ginger root (Zingiber officinale), Cayenne fruit (Capsicum ), Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis), Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra): Taken as a combination product capsule: 1 gram every 2-3 hours during the acute phase of the illness (may also be used during stomach viruses or for those strains of flu that involve diarrhea and vomiting).
• Echinacea (Echinacea purpurea, E. pallida, E. angustifolia), three to four times daily dosages follow: dried root (or as a tea): 0.5 – 1 gram; freeze-dried plant: 325-650 mg; juice of aerial portion of E. purpurea stabilized in 22% ethanol: 2-3 ml; tincture (1:5): 2-4 ml; TincTract: 2-4 ml; fluid extract (1:1): 2-4 ml; solid (dry powdered) extract (6.5:1 or 3.5% echinacoside): 150-300mg.
• Elderberry (Sambucus nigra): As syrup or TincTract: ½- 1 teaspoon six times daily during acute phase of illness. For prevention, take recommended dosage twice daily. Upon exposure, 3-4 times daily of recommended dosage.
• For a combined echinacea/elderberry product, consider Quick Defense by Gaia Herbs for older children and adults and Yummy Yarrow and Elderberry by Trilight Herbs for young children.
• In addition to the elderberry and echinacea, I like to add a berberine-containing herb product to our flu regimen. This year, I am prepared with Rainbow Light’s Counter Attack Immuno Response.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:32:16 AM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2009, 09:10:30 AM »
ok thanks
I have been taking tummy tune up but did not realize bee propolis was ok to take while pregnant
I will have to read these other threads too
I just knew with this particular strand of flu there are some you want to take and some you don't want to take and then mix that with being pregnant and I wasn't sure what in the world to make sure I had on hand!  :-)
thanks
----

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »
Everything I keep reading talks about vitamin A, D, and C...those are the ones I'd take for sure if I was pregnant. 
Mrs. P

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2009, 01:22:41 PM »
Ok, my normal remedy, that works amazing well is the one from ABC herbal:

Yarrow, Elder flowers, and Peppermint. 

I tincture this with alcohol and glycerine, then mix.  I saw that yarrow is a good flu fighter, but does anyone know about the elder??  After reading Beka's post, I'm wondering if the elder part of this is an immune booster, or if it would still be a good thing to take.

Offline snickerdoodles

• Learning
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
I did not know that Yarrow was an antiviral!!!  Do you use leaves, flowers, whole plant, ?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2009, 03:53:55 PM »
I did not know that Yarrow was an antiviral!!!  Do you use leaves, flowers, whole plant, ?
I have used leaves and flowers in both fresh and dried form.  I've never used the roots as they tend to be stringy, and also keep the plants coming back year after year.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
The swine flu has hit TN. :( Its in Williamson now.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

YoopreMama

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2009, 04:04:19 PM »
We had a report of it in downstate MI.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »
Thanks, mommyjen for the article.  I use children's composition, with the elderberry flower, yarrow and peppermint.  I make it with glycerine, so the kids will take it with no problem.  Actually, if it's good for prevention, my dd is always playing tea party, so sometimes I just put hot water and some of the tincture I've made in there.  They drink it right up. ;D  They are getting over colds, so they've been taking that, and garlic oil too sometimes.  My oldest dd goes to school, so I've told her to make sure to wash her hands.  Hopefully, there won't be any cases in PA.

wendy

Offline snickerdoodles

• Learning
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »
I have a theory about why this virus might have been introduced...if indeed it has been, which we will never know for certain.

Commercial swine are pretty nasty.  Because they are naturally omnivorous (read: not picky) they eat unmentionables (rats, dead or alive; feces, whatever they find) and so they are all routinely loaded with huge amounts of antibiotics.  This makes eating pork a bad thing for us, as we are getting the drugs as well as a lot of nastiness; and it also destroys the immune system of the commercially-bred piggie.  Which in itself could have created this mess.

But I am also thinking how much our New Age government would relish a reason to eliminate pig breeding completely.  My vote is for everyone who can, to raise the clean and healthy meat they wish to eat; and for commercial breeders to have mixed farms, with limited numbers, raised in pasture instead of on concrete.  A healthy pig is a good thing!  

I have often heard it said that you eat a lot less meat if you have to kill it, dress it, and preserve it yourself.   :o