Author Topic: Swine Flu [ H1N1 ]: Prevention & Treatments  (Read 49016 times)

Offline Aura

• Adept
Swine Flu [ H1N1 ]: Prevention & Treatments
« on: April 24, 2009, 11:19:39 AM »
Outbreak in Mexico, a few cases reported in U.S.

I'm personally not sure what to think...I've gotten very skeptical over just about everything.  ::) However, I think's it'worth passing on, and to at least be aware of what's going on. (Although you know that everything that is in the news is twisted somehow.  >:(  ::) )

Deadly new flu strain breaks out in Mexico, U.S.[[/b]http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53N22820090424?sp=true

WHO ready with antivirals to combat swine flu http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE53N5ZZ20090424?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews&rpc=22&sp=true

CDC says too late to contain U.S. flu outbreak http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/24443479.htm

Mexico City launches huge vaccination campaign against swine flu http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=090424142248.88ahg8e6&show_article=1

I got these links through DRUDGE REPORT. http://www.drudgereport.com/ They have more links, too.

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
Re: Swine Flu [ H1N1 ]: Prevention & Treatments
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 04:26:51 AM »
Thanks for posting this info. I new flu has hit our area that is very similar to the adenovirus that had everyone ill so long last year. Interestingly, just like the results in Mexico, the people that seem to be effected the most are healthy adults in their prime. The adenovirus was also said to be a strain of the avian flu.

Close analysis showed the disease is a mixture of swine, human and avian viruses, according to the CDC.

tests showed the virus from 12 of the Mexican patients was the same genetically as a new strain of swine flu, designated H1N1, seen in eight people in California and Texas.

The official treatment for this flu is still the drug tamiflu, which can be found in nature: Pine Needle Tea http://www.survivalscoop.blogspot.com/

The WHO said the virus appears to be susceptible to Roche AG's flu drug Tamiflu, also known as oseltamivir, but not to older flu drugs such as amantadine.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/01/20/tamiflu.xmas.trees/index.html

Strong Immune System, good or bad?

When I had the adenovirus last year, it lasted for almost 4 months. My baby was ill for longer than that. I treated us all with everything in the book, trying one thing after another. Some things worked better than others, but the symptoms would just "move" around... eyes... ears... stomach... chest... throat... We would be "well" for a few days, and then some other rash of symptoms would occur. I kept thinking "there is no way our immune systems are this shot!"

Gabe found some info way back during the SARS scare that said the people that died from the Bird Flu and SARS actually died from "immune response." In other words, they got the bug, their bodies fought it with increased immune response which was seen in extra mucus production.
http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v12/n10/full/nm1493.html
http://www.jonbarron.org/strong-immunity-program/01-21-2008.php

This deadly immune response is also seen in some of the old "plagues":

Yellow Fever... In addition, the cells of the immune system are affected and release large quantities of signalling substances. These substances are the cause of the normal disease symptoms, such as muscular pain and fever, which are also observed in influenza.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/diseases/yellowfever.htm

So, if you find that taking herbs like echinacea, elderberry, oregano... etc... seem to help you for a few hours, but that the next morning you wake up with more phlegm than ever...

try NOT taking them. These herbs boost the immune system, increasing immune response to the sickness.

I finally began to treat my little ones with herbs that supported the system and reduced inflammation, but did NOT boost the immune system. They were well within the week, and we did not have a reoccurrence of the flu.

The herbs I did use were to reduce phlem, pain, lower the fever, and detox. These included, Eucalyptus (breathed), Ginger in the bath and mixed with honey for loosening the cough. Mullein burned and breathed to dry the cough. Pine needles burned and breathed. Apple Cider Vinegar wash for the throat and for stomach upset. Kombucha for the same.

NOTE: I still use elderberry, echinacea, etc... very often around here in treating common colds and for AVOIDING the flu. These are wonderful herbs and should be utilized in most illnesses.

Hope this is Helpful. Any comments would be welcome. :)

Rebekah
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:30:48 AM by Gabriel Anast »

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 05:17:24 AM »
I haven't had enough opportunities (thankfully!!) to prove if this is truly effective or not, but I keep a bottle of ravensara (Agathophyllum aromatica) essential oil on hand, as it is supposed to be EXTREMELY anti-viral. It seems like so many of the things in my "natural medicine cabinet" are anti-bacterial, but don't really seem to be effective for viruses. It was quite affordable ($6), and since I also wanted to have it on hand in case a family member's shingles cropped back up (supposed to be very effective for that), I bought some.

Like I said, I can't PROVE for sure that it's working, but on the couple of occasions that either I or one of my family members was starting to seem to come down with something, I applied a wee bit on the bottom of the feet, and nobody ever got sick. I've also added it to an air spray that we use in our bathroom, and put a little in our handsoap during the height of flu season. We've all been very healthy.  :)

On the other hand, the information on ravensara at naturesgift.com (where I bought mine) says that it is recommended as an immune-stimulant. So perhaps, despite it's strong anti-viral properties, this still wouldn't be something to use with this particular type of flu?  ???
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 06:09:09 AM »
Hi Jade,
As I understand it, boosting your immune system to avoid the flu IS a good idea. It's once you have it, and if your symptoms are strong or persistent due to immune response, that you should back off of the immune boosters.

beka

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 05:47:04 PM »
That's really fascinating, Beka, and I'm glad someone tried it out. I've long wondered about the avian flu - supposedly it has some sort of autoimmune aspect to it, so I always wondered how exactly I would treat it without boosting the immune system as most herbs do.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 06:01:04 PM »
Excellent article!  I'm adding this to my herbal notebook.  We had an awful time with the flu this year, and it was a similar situation with it moving from one spot to the next, and cropping back up again.

Here is another interesting observation that my husband made:
Most of the young guys at his job came down with the flu this fall.  But dh works closely with a guy who has had a kidney transplant, and has to be on powerful immune supressants.  This guy did not get the flu or the stomach bug that went around. 

P.S. Thanks for the recommendation Jade!  I'm also adding that to my arsenal for general use...sounds like a great ingredient for a homemade lysol.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 08:37:55 AM »
Here is another interesting observation that my husband made:
Most of the young guys at his job came down with the flu this fall.  But dh works closely with a guy who has had a kidney transplant, and has to be on powerful immune supressants.  This guy did not get the flu or the stomach bug that went around. 

Wow, that is interesting. I also have friends who go to public school, eat very poorly,  and take antibiotics... they never got the flu either and were repeatedly exposed. They took it as proof that "herbs and eating healthy" doesn't do any good.  :D ::) It seems like these recent influenza's are really aimed at the health nuts!

Beka
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:39:55 AM by ForeverGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 09:22:11 AM »
Big article in our Sunday paper here (MN) about the Mexico/US Swine Flu "potential pandemic" and it sounds like we need to be educated.  We, meaning folks who take our health care seriously and do most of it ourselves.

Maybe time for a refresher course

1.  What to take/do when you've been exposed or have it in your house, but you're still well?

2.  What to give to your kids for above?

3.  What to take/do once you have it?

Beka, do you have some quick basics?  I like what you said above about immune boosters before sick, but backing off once it hits.

If this flu spreads like they say, and seems to hit healthy people, we all need to be prepared BUT NOT AFRAID! 

(it does make you wonder if any of those funky conspiracy deals are true . . .)

Offline Larry

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 09:23:31 AM »
I had an order in my shopping cart @ Bulk Herb and intended to add to it today but I just found out that, apparently, the contents of the shopping cart don't save, when you close the page ??? ???

I had eucalyptus and elderberry that I read about on this thread..... could someone list their recommendations?

Other that cancer, none has been sick in the house for years but I think it would be wise to stock up.... I read an article today that mentioned "travel restrictions", I hope that most of this is media hype, out of 1300 cases in Mexeco there have been 80 deaths (what is that 7%?) and there are no fatalities in the US... so far.

Larry
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:06:14 AM by Larry »

earthymama3

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »
In response to Beka's posting that article on the cost of a strong immune system--  I've often thought about this too, that maybe we don't always want to be strengthening our immune systems.  That maybe, at times, we're doing more harm than good.  I've usually thought of it in terms of strengthening your immune system against your own body in terms of auto-immune things.  What if you have an autoimmune thing and don't know it?  You're strengthening your body against itself in that case. 

I did read the article, and it really makes a lot of sense, to boost your immune system on a regular basis to PREVENT diseases, but back off during the illnesses and/or attack it with actual anti-pathogenic things like garlic, olive leaf, oil of oregano, and grapefruit seed extract while still using the immune boosters.  He also recommended using immune modulators, which strengthen the immune system where its weak and help it back off where its too strong. 

Thank you for posting that article.  It makes a lot of sense.

earthymama3

Offline Peg4Jesus7

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »

So, if you find that taking herbs like echinacea, elderberry, oregano... etc... seem to help you for a few hours, but that the next morning you wake up with more phlegm than ever...

try NOT taking them. These herbs boost the immune system, increasing immune response to the sickness.

Would this include colloidial silver, zinc, garlic and vitamin C?  Do these boost the immune response too much, or would they help support it, as do the ginger, honey, etc.

Also, how do you do the ACV throat wash?  Do you sweeten it with honey?

We have a nasty, gagging, croupy cough that's been going around, and we've had it for several months.  My BIL & SIL swear by the silver for everything and keep telling us to take more.  We're doing some, but I wonder if we should stop.  I was doing lots of vit. C & garlic capsules for me, which made its way into my breastfeeding baby (she's 10 months old).  Also had been giving the baby Dr. Rydland's Kids' Wellness Immune Formula which has helped my other babies in the past, but not this time.  Now the baby has also developed a double ear infection.

We've had her to the dr. twice, once for the cough (they gave her Augmentin & Albuterol) and again for high fever (which turned out to be the ear infection; she's now on Omnicef).  We hate to go to the dr. and we always treat at home first, but with six of us sick for months, we are stumped by this thing, and exhausted, and no where near over it yet!   :(

-Peg
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:31:06 AM by Peg4Jesus7 »
"The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing. Zeph. 3:17

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 11:16:34 AM »
It seems like these recent influenza's are really aimed at the health nuts!

Beka

this is too funny, just before I read both of these posts, I read the previous ones out loud to Hub.  
His response?... "I know I sound paranoid but it sounds like this virus was engineered."

Great minds think alike or?

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »
1.  What to take/do when you've been exposed or have it in your house, but you're still well?

2.  What to give to your kids for above?

3.  What to take/do once you have it?

Beka, do you have some quick basics?  I like what you said above about immune boosters before sick, but backing off once it hits.

If this flu spreads like they say, and seems to hit healthy people, we all need to be prepared BUT NOT AFRAID! 

For the quick reader, the most important link I posted above is this article:
http://www.jonbarron.org/strong-immunity-program/01-21-2008.php

Good idea, CountyCork...

And Larry, here are some of the things we do. I'm not saying we've figured it out what works best... just what works best for us so far!

To avoid the Flu:

All berries. Berry concentrate, fresh berries, elderberry syrup, etc... I also recommend olive leaf extract, or olive leaf tea. Although we didn't do this during the last flu, I did buy some olive leaf afterward to use if another flu came around. I would also recommend taking garlic and GSE to avoid the flu.

I am still unsure about taking garlic and GSE during a flu because I did this during the last flu and it didn't work at all... I must have eaten a bushel worth of garlic cloves over a four month flu period and never got well until I stopped taking everything that is considered an herbal antibiotic.

If exposed directly to the Flu:
spend the following day, or same day, out in the sunshine doing some kind of physical exercise. (Don't know why or how this works, unless it is related to vit D... but it does.) Continue taking the above recommended herbs.

If you contract the Flu and become ill:

Stop taking any herbs that may boost the immune system, such as elderberry, echinacea, etc... but do go outside and get some sunshine any time you can.

Other things that seemed to help were lots of sleep, hot baths/showers, staying warm, fresh air.

Herbs that we used to support the systems and reduce immune response discomfort were:

Eucalyptus oil - in a wet washcloth held to the nose, in the bath water, sprinkled on the shower curtains, sprinkled on pine needles and burnt like incense.

Ginger and honey - ginger juice expressed and mixed with raw honey into a thick candy-like syrup to ease a cough and loosen congestion.

Mullein burnt like incense, mixed with pine needles: This dries up a very wet cough that sounds scary...
I just turn a stainless steel pot lid upside down on my gas stove burner. Turn the burner on very low, and sprinkle dried mullein and pine needles in the pot lid. These will slowly burn and fill the house with the incense. Mullein sometimes works too well to dry up a very wet cough. If the cough gets too tight and dry... revert to the ginger and honey.

Apple Cider Vinegar: We add ACV and honey to water and sip for stomach upset and sore throats. I also put it in a spray bottle to spray into the back of the little one's throats. This works wonders for overcoming nasty bacteria with good bacteria. ACV in a wash cloth pressed to the forehead or soles of feet will lower fevers, as will some ACV in the bathwater. Kombucha works similarly, if you can't get ACV with the live bacteria (the mother.)

You can also put ACV 1/2 and 1/2 with water or rubbing alcohol in the ears to dry them out. I usually follow this with some warm Mullein oil. Earaches are the worst!

I think that's all from us...

what funky conspiracy deals?  ;)

Beka

PS: Just saw your post, Peggy...
We went off of everything (antibiotic/immune boosting herbs) except for sunshine and system supporting herbs. I even stopped taking vit C and garlic. And oh... we also used wet heat applied over the eustachian tubes for earaches.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:33:04 AM by ForeverGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Peg4Jesus7

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 11:40:25 AM »
PS: Just saw your post, Peggy...
We went off of everything (antibiotic/immune boosting herbs) except for sunshine and system supporting herbs. I even stopped taking vit C and garlic. And oh... we also used wet heat applied over the eustachian tubes for earaches.

OK, thanks, that helps.  Nothing we had been taking seemed to work, so maybe that is our problem.  I'll try the system-supporting herbs you mentioned.

Yeah, I've heard some conspiracy theories, and this does sound pretty suspicious ... attacking healthy immune systems, and then immune-boosters making it worse ... go figure!   :-\
"The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing. Zeph. 3:17

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 11:48:13 AM »
I believe I have this flu - swine flu or whatever you want to call it.  I have been sick since February.  A good few days or even a week here and there and then it's back.  I thought I just wasn't being consistent enough with the herbals.
Last night I decided "this is it!" and dug out all the immune boosters and set up my cell phone alarms to remind me to take it throughout the day.  I took a dose last night and then this morning... then read this thread :)

I have been producing so much more mucus than before that it was very noticeable.  Up to this point, all the mucus was focused in my lungs and trachea.  Since taking the boosters, my nose is runny, my throat feels choked with phlegm and I am even producing copious amounts of vaginal mucus (like tsp. an hour, which is a lot).  

I am so glad I finally came to WTM and found out the details of this thread.  I am quitting the immune boosters now.

So, anyway, the whole point of my posting is to say... it seems to be true that echinacea and that sort of stuff is contraindicated.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »
HAH! This is interesting.
We were exposed to the 4 month flu Beka described. I can't remember if I got it or not... But my 3 yr old daughter had clogged ears for about 3 months (with no apparent infection) and a throat that got swollen every week or so. A round of antibiotics got rid of it, and she has been fine since.

There was also this TERRIBLE cough going around recently (different virus we think- or maybe not- who knows). Anyways, my husband and kids got the cough (I just had a tickly sore throat) and I did not treat naturally..... Well, I didn't start anything until a few days into the cough (and my husband hardly got any natural treatment).

The main thing I used was: Red Clover Tea (mixed with a bit of echinacea/elderberry/peppermint)
It's supposed to get rid of coughs- and it did. Most other people had weeks of nasty phlegm and bronchitis. My kids got over it less than a week.
My husband still has some phlegm but he didn't drink the tea  :D. He has been doing Netti Pot washes and thinks it helps a lot. It is probably keeping him from getting a sinus infection.

Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 12:47:53 PM »

Research into the 1918 Spanish Flu might be beneficial. This flu hit ages 15-35 the hardest. Seems to fit these current viruses that are hurting healthy individuals harder than non-healthy ones.
One of the reasons this Swine Flu is scaring authorities is because it is  NOT killing old people and infants. People in their 20s and 30s are dying.

Anybody know treatments to the 1918 flu?
Going to read survival scoop now.

Kristen

Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »
I think some research into Thieves Oil or Vinegar of the Four Thieves would be worthwhile.  Those formulas were invented during a Euro-plague, maybe bubonic or something?  Way way back.

I've seen pics from the 1918 Flu of kids with "camphor balls" hung on string around their necks.

I think I've also heard that flu killed as many if not more people during WW 1 than the actual war.  Yikes.

Plenty of research to be done. 

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 02:25:13 PM »

Gabe found some info way back during the SARS scare that said the people that died from the Bird Flu and SARS actually died from "immune response." In other words, they got the bug, their bodies fought it with increased immune response which was seen in extra mucus production.

I also read a NYTimes article this morning (can't find it now  :P) that described this very phenomenon as the reason young adults are hit the hardest in this kind of flu.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 05:32:22 PM »
If someone at work/school/church seems to come down with this flu, would ultra-immune be something to take to help prevent catching it?  Then would you stop taking this if you actually get the flu?  Thansks for any advice!

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 01:56:08 AM »
LOLLLLL!! It is so nice to come here and see this. Im on another forum and when i brought up garlic maybe helping keep your immune system strong, most of the women thought i was nuts.  :D They all want to the doctor for everything but i have a few hearing me out.  ;D

Thanks for posting these links. I will check them out.  ;)
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 02:10:22 AM »
I see on the link http://www.jonbarron.org/strong-immunity-program/01-21-2008.php  that was posted above, it says that Colostrum is an immune system immunomodulator, it helps to regulate an immune response, and can calm an overactive immune system down.

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 02:33:24 AM »
My husband is working on a natural gas well down in south TX.  He texted me this morning telling me he was going back to bed...very sick with a sore throat and fever.  Now, of course, I'm so worried.  He doesn't have much access to any kind of herbs down there.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 05:12:56 AM »
In regard to the sunshine being helpful, I have seen several different health newsletters I get from various places recommend vitamin D again and again for preventing the flu, among other things.  I personally think vitamin D is the key to not getting this swine flu. 

This past winter when the other really bad flu was making the rounds, I didn't get it although being exposed to it a few times (directly).  This is probably the first winter I haven't gotten sick at all.  It is also the first winter that I have taken vitamin D.  At the time, I was taking 4000 - 5000 IU/day. 

This is a really interesting excerpt from an article written by a man who used to be a GP about a time when there was a large flu outbreak and the discovery that none of the patients in the hospital who were on significant doses of vitamin D got it.  (The whole article is here and is very interesting and so worth reading!!:  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/51913.php

Excerpt From: "Epidemic Influenza and Vitamin D"

A short while later, a group of scientists from UCLA published a remarkable paper in the prestigious journal, Nature. The UCLA group confirmed two other recent studies, showing that a naturally occurring steroid hormone - a hormone most of us take for granted - was, in effect, a potent antibiotic. Instead of directly killing bacteria and viruses, the steroid hormone under question increases the body's production of a remarkable class of proteins, called antimicrobial peptides. The 200 known antimicrobial peptides directly and rapidly destroy the cell walls of bacteria, fungi, and viruses, including the influenza virus, and play a key role in keeping the lungs free of infection. The steroid hormone that showed these remarkable antibiotic properties was plain old vitamin D.

All of the patients on my ward had been taking 2,000 units of vitamin D every day for several months or longer. Could that be the reason none of my patients caught the flu? I then contacted Professors Reinhold Vieth and Ed Giovannucci and told them of my observations. They immediately advised me to collect data from all the patients in the hospital on 2,000 units of vitamin D, not just the ones on my ward, to see if the results were statistically significant. It turns out that the observations on my ward alone were of borderline statistical significance and could have been due to chance alone. Administrators at our hospital agreed, and are still attempting to collect data from all the patients in the hospital on 2,000 or more units of vitamin D at the time of the epidemic.
* In the article, he goes on to explain why, after researching vit D, he believes that is what made the difference in the ward he was in.

This is another excerpt written by a Dr. Donald Miller (a member of some group called "Disaster Preparedness").  I don't know who he is or anything, but his article is also very interesting and worth reading:  http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller25.html

Excerpt From:  "Vitamin D in a New Light"

New research suggests that influenza is also a disease triggered by vitamin D deficiency. Influenza virus exists in the population year-round, but influenza epidemics are seasonal and occur only in the winter (in northern latitudes), when vitamin D blood levels are at their nadir. Vitamin D-expressed genes instruct macrophages, the front-line defenders in the innate immune system, to make antimicrobial peptides, which are like antibiotics (Science 2006;311:17701773). These peptides attack and destroy influenza virus particles, and in human carriers keep it at bay. (Neutrophils and natural killer cells in the innate immune system and epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract also synthesize these virucidal peptides.) Other vitamin D-expressed genes rein in macrophages fighting an infection to keep them from overreacting and releasing too many inflammatory agents (cytokines) that can damage infected tissue. In the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, which killed 50 million people, of which 500,000 were Americans, young healthy adults (as happened to my 22-year-old grandmother) would wake up in the morning feeling well, start drowning in their own inflammation as the day wore on, and be dead by midnight. Autopsies showed complete destruction of the epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract due, as researchers now know, to a macrophage-induced overly severe inflammatory reaction to the virus. These flu victims were attacked and killed by their own immune system, something researchers have found vitamin D can prevent (Epidemiol Infect 2006;134:11291140).

From the Vitamin D Council regarding a study done on vitamin D and flu:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/2006-oct.shtml

Dr. Mercola also has a great 1-hour video on vitamin D which I've posted before somewhere else, but it's worth posting again: 

"Avoid Flu Shots With One Vitamin That Will Stop Flu In It's Tracks"

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/10/21/avoid-flu-shots-vitamin-d-is-a-better-way.aspx

One hour "Vitamin D Lecture"

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/16/my-one-hour-vitamin-d-lecture-to-clear-up-all-your-confusion-on-this-vital-nutrient.aspx

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:19:50 AM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 05:14:23 AM »
My husband is working on a natural gas well down in south TX.  He texted me this morning telling me he was going back to bed...very sick with a sore throat and fever.  Now, of course, I'm so worried.  He doesn't have much access to any kind of herbs down there.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

For the future you could make him a kit to take with him like I describe in the post linked below. It all fits into a container smaller than a shoe box & it was of great help to my DH & DS when they used to travel cross country all the time for an old job my DH used to have.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2661.msg106401.html#msg106401

For right now gargle with warm salt water & the ingredients for the following can all be gotten at a grocery store- if he doesn't feel up to going maybe someone will go for him?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3079.msg8389.html#msg8389

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3079.msg40332.html#msg40332

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3079.msg3862.html#msg3862

This tea is also used for sore throats with a pinch or 2 of cayenne added to it- even grocery store cayenne will work although if the store carries organic- our local King Soopers (Kroger) carries Simply Organic spices (from Frontier Herbs)- it will probably be much stronger than the cheap cayenne. Same with the ginger needed in one of the other links. Or get a small piece of fresh ginger.

None of these recipes have to be exact on the measurements which makes it much easier. As far as the 1/4 teaspoon called for in one of the recipes, about 4 good size pinches will approx 1/4 teaspoon. (can you tell that I have talk DH through making herbal concoctions on the phone while he was out of town on work before?  ;)

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 07:05:23 AM »
When the avian flu was much talked of my husband and I did some research and found (and forgive me, I have no idea of the source now) a couple of articles talking of chickens and even people recovering from the bird flu by eating kim chee (fermented cabbage/vegetables).   It made a lot of sense to us at the time and that is when we started getting into fermenting.   The good enzymes, vit.C etc. of naturally fermented vegies seem to have strong anti-viral properties. 
I also second, or third...the vitamin D recommendations.   We, as a family, all took cod liver oil all winter and escaped the nasty virus that everyone around us had.   This, together with extra sleep and good food seemed to really work at keeping us well.  I would sometimes wake up with a sore throat and even though I had lots to do, if I went back to bed for a little bit or took a short nap a little later, I would no longer have the sore throat.   
Oh yes, and possibly the most important, though I am sure you all know this already.  Cut out sugar when you are starting to feel sick!!  It really lowers your immune system.   

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 07:07:12 AM »
Just wondering, would probiotics be good to take while feeling flu-llike symptoms?

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »
The official treatment for this flu is still the drug tamiflu, which can be found in nature: Pine Needle Tea http://www.survivalscoop.blogspot.com/

Interesting. I have been confused as to which ever greens have the usuable safe pine needles or perhaps they all do?

I have cedar trees and what I assume is juniper pine trees so would their needles be affective and safe?
We dont have insurance so if we get the swine flue we cant go rushing off to the doctor so I want to know what I can use now just in case it hits us because Im sure I wont be feeling like researching it when Im sick.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 08:02:37 AM »
I've been cross referencing the different "actions" in my Practical Herbalism book and two come up for almost every category -the one most spoken of here- Garlic, and one not as spoken of --Sage,  both are (anti) biotic, inflammatory, parasitic, catarrahal, septic, spasmodic, that's saying A-LOT.
How does Oreganol work would it be a good one to consider for this application, and what are more 'modulators'?
And can we go into more elaboration of "not treating" as Beka talked about,how are the best ways to treat ? infusing the air?
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »
If someone is allergic to pine (as in pine pollen) wouldn't that also carry over to the tea? My husband and son are both allergic to nearly every grass and tree there is, including pine  ::), so I'm thinking pine needle tea wouldn't be a good option for them, especially since we're wanting to avoid a hyper-immune response. Does this sound right to anyone else?

Oh, and I'm still researching this swine flu, and finding some interesting things. I'll try to post more on it later.