Author Topic: Subchorionic Hemorrhage (Placenta partially detached)  (Read 9596 times)

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
Subchorionic Hemorrhage (Placenta partially detached)
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:15:28 AM »
I know there have been mentions of this condition in several other threads, but I thought I would start one specifically related to it here.

(Hope this doesn't throw a monkey wrench in things, HB!  ::))

I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hemorrhage at about 10 weeks. At 12.5 weeks I began having pain and heavy bleeding. An ultrasound revealed that the hemorrhage has grown to 5.7 cm. That was almost 1 week ago.

My questions for youse are:

1. Anyone else with experience to share?

2. Is Mama's Red Raspberry Brew (from BHS) still safe to drink?

3. Any other recommendations at this point?

Ta! kate  :)

All the way my Savior leads me...

Offline Joyfulmomto9

• Adept
Re: Subchorionic Hemorrhage (Placenta partially detached)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 06:27:45 PM »
How far along are you now?  It seems very possible that it could reattach itself.  Can you be on bed rest?  That seems very sensible to me.  Maybe someone else can give you ideas on herbs to take to help the placenta re attach itself.

My placenta partially detached with my 7th baby and at that point I had some very large blood clots pass.  I was 38 weeks.

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »
UPDATE:
Almost exactly 2 weeks after the first bleeding/ER adventure, I began bleeding again. This time it was dark, thick blood and lots of large (ping-pong ball size) clots.

On Sunday morning at about 2 am I returned to the ER because I had been having strong contractions, bleeding and clots for 2 days. For the second time, I was expecting a miscarriage. At the hospital they confirmed that my cervix was still closed and the baby still had a good heartbeat.

Now, on the other side of that night, I would probably just wait it out if it happened again. But that's because I now know more than I did at that moment.  ::)

The next day (Monday), I went for my ultrasound appointment. It revealed that the hemorrhage is healing up very well. This really surprised the doctor (because of how bad it was before) and me (because of the previous days' experience). I asked how that was possible given the symptoms, and he explained that the contractions were probably my body "flushing out the pipes" in order to heal fully.

So...here we are. I am at 15 weeks, still trusting, praying and waiting. I am still on partial rest and using paper plates for every meal!  ;D The doctor says this is very encouraging, but we're not out of the woods yet. God will decide.

A note on drinking the red raspberry tea... I did consult with my aunt (who has a lot of experience in natural remedies) and her friend (an herbalist). The bottom line was: red raspberry and nettle could be very helpful in this situation, but go easy until you are sure it is not causing any negative effects. If you are concerned about the safety, you could wait until your last trimester to begin drinking it. As always, check with your doctor or midwife too.

I will probably resume drinking it after my next ultrasound appointment in 2 weeks, if all is well.

That's the news from Lake Woebegon...
kate  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:22:10 PM by maceoghain »

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:38:38 PM »
I'm so sorry that I missed this before!  I can't remember where I read this, but Vitamin E is supposed to be excellent for healing and strenghthening placentas.  I'll look it up in the Naturally Healthy Pregnancy book and post later.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »
I'm so sorry that I missed this before!  I can't remember where I read this, but Vitamin E is supposed to be excellent for healing and strenghthening placentas.  I'll look it up in the Naturally Healthy Pregnancy book and post later.

Vitamin E is excellent for healing placentas.  My midwife had me take mega doses of it when I had spotting at 8-10 wks.  It helped almost immediately.  I continued taking it until my 3rd trimester.  I stopped then because my midwife didn't want to take the chance of a retained placenta.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 04:52:10 PM »

Vitamin E is excellent for healing placentas.  My midwife had me take mega doses of it when I had spotting at 8-10 wks.  It helped almost immediately.  I continued taking it until my 3rd trimester.  I stopped then because my midwife didn't want to take the chance of a retained placenta.

Thank you for this information! I will definitely consider adding Vitamin E. How do you take it? A pill?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 05:44:47 PM »
As far as Vit E you want D-Alpha NOT DL-Alpha. DL is synthetic, D is natural. The way I always remember it is that 'L' is Lousy. Of course the nat is more expensive but the synthetic just isn't the same. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 07:33:50 PM »
As far as Vit E you want D-Alpha NOT DL-Alpha. DL is synthetic, D is natural. The way I always remember it is that 'L' is Lousy. Of course the nat is more expensive but the synthetic just isn't the same. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

??? Huh? You lost me. Am I supposed to take Vitamin E or D?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 08:52:46 PM »

??? Huh? You lost me. Am I supposed to take Vitamin E or D?

Sorry, it makes sense if you 're looking at Vit E labels but I sure didn't explain it very well in print.  ::)

The D or DL part is how it's listed on the label, it doesn't have anything to do with Vit D.

If it's nat vit E it will say this on the label:

Vitamin E (D-alpha)

If it's synthetic it will say:

Vitamin E (DL-alpha)

Look at the labels of a few bottles of Vit E, esp the cheaper brands & you will see what I'm talking about. For example, NOW brand seems to use Nat Vit E so it's labels say D-alpha. Nature Made brand (common in my local grocery store) uses lots of synthetic Vit E so when it's synthetic it's listed as DL-alpha. I was able to look up the info on both brands on line.

NOW Foods Vit E

Nature Made Vit E

Here's a quote from the Nature Made web site about the different forms of Vit E:

"The term vitamin E describes a family of eight antioxidants, four tocopherols, alpha-, beta-, gamma- and delta-, and four tocotrienols (also alpha-, beta-, gamma- and delta-). Alpha-tocopherol is the only form of vitamin E that is actively maintained in the human body and is therefore, is the form of vitamin E that appears to have the greatest impact on health. There are several forms of vitamin E supplements. Alpha-tocopherol is the natural form, dl-alpha tocopherol is the synthetic form. Although natural vitamin E (alpha tocopherol) is more bioavailable, both have been shown to be effective." (emphasis mine)

I obviously don't agree that synthetic is a good choice. Nat source vits are always better IMO & for something that you want to be a potent antioxidant you want the best you can get. Also, IMO it's better to get some of the other tocopherols & tocotrienols b/c if they aren't important to our health, why did God put them there in the first place? HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 05:09:39 PM »
I had a subchorionic hemorrhage with my last preg. At 1st they said it was about 50% detached and that I had to be on partial bed rest not lifting stuff. They also said no s*xual activity because that sometimes causes the uterus to contract which is bad for a placenta that is already detaching itself because it could make it detach even more. That was in my 1st trimester.

So I laid around a lot and took it easy. It was just a partial bed rest for me where I could still do dishes and some light house work but no lifting laundry and stuff like that.

I think it was sometime in the 2ND trimester the doc said the placenta had reattached itself a bit more and was looking better so some restrictions were somewhat lifted at that time.

But I still needed a C- Section because of the subchorionic hemorrhage  and other reasons which was fine by me.

I remember how scary it was when I found the heavy bleeding. I remember the ultrasound lady kept looking at the screen with a concerned look. Thankfully I had a healthy baby girl.

try not to worry to much, they say that most pregnancies with this turn out fine now a days because we know how to take care of it by not lifting and doing to much.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 05:26:40 PM »
I had it with this last pregnancy, and my little guy is now healthy and six weeks old. It worried me, but my midwife said it's extremely common and not a cause for concern.

I took a lot of Vit. E, ate very well, and refrained from heavy lifting, exercise, and intercourse until we confirmed that it had healed on an ultrasound.

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »
Thanks for all the information and encouragement! 

Herbalmom, I appreciate the clarification on the Vitamin E types. :)

BJ_BOBBIE_JO, what about the SCH made it better for you to have a C-section? I had a C-S with my first and a VBAC with my second. I was hoping to have a VBAC again this time.

Youse are awesome! (I love WTM!)  ;D

Ta! kate

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 07:21:58 PM »
If I am remembering correctly it had something to do with how it did not fully reattach itself and the pushing and strain of labor could have very possibly made the placenta completely detach during labor/pushing before it was ready thus causing a very serious life threatening hemorrhage that could kill both me and baby. Also I was told that diabetics like me tend to have placenta troubles sometimes.

But for me I also needed a c-section due to my body not doing labor/delivery well at all (my 1st labor/del was awful). Me, my husband nor my doctor was cool about me not having a c-section because of the terrible way my body responds to labor/del and my diabetes was so brittle it could not have withstood another long hard labor with a baby that was in the wrong position again.

Offline sohnnenstrahl

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 07:23:40 PM »
In 2003 dh took the children and me to an Above Rubies family camp. Nancy Campbell related the story of how one of her daughters recently had been healed of hemorrhaging so severe that the doc at the hospital showed her on the ultrasound that there was "no way" this baby would make it; it was like a gushing river taking up a lot of space on the screen. He said to go home and wait for the worst.

Being believers and also raw fooders, her family and extended family prayed constantly and prepared for her many drinks consisting of wheatgrass juice and *I believe she said* also fresh, young coconut water and the juice of dark leafy greens.

I have used this combination with great success with blood issues; not only issues (as in too much blood coming out), but regarding other concerns as well, such as low iron, oxygenation (sp?), vitamin K.

The reason I have thought to do it is that I had read about chlorophyll being almost identical molecularly to hemoglobin (one source for the info on the molecular similarities: http://www.wheatgrass.com/book/chapter3.php ), and that plasma is very similar molecularly to fresh, young coconut water (no source; don't even know whether it's really true). So, like, why not drink sort of a knock-off blood transplant? What could go wrong, right? It's just food. Plus, uh, that story of Nancy's was a convincing advertisement.

I don't think one could attribute the dramatic results to my imagination, no way, though my instances of needing healing didn't include the level of blood loss that Nancy's daughter had. Certainly it's possible that all the prayer (both in my couple of cases and in Nancy's daughter's case) could have led to God simply intervening without any juices. Nonetheless, if I'm hurting in that way, this is the first thing I think of to do after people have their praying orders  ;) .

Oh, and Nancy's daughter? Within a day, I think it was, she was healed. That child is now delighting their family all over the place.

I have prayed for you. God can do anything! It's so good to know!

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »
Again, thank you for the information and encouragement!

I will continue to research this with the new ideas you all have given me. I'll look on the UR site and see if I can find anything there too.

Ta! kate

(Okay, now I'm really going to bed!  ::)  :D)

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 06:04:02 AM »
UPDATE: I had another ultrasound yesterday and it appears that the SCH has healed completely!  ;D

I have been taken off of pelvic rest (whoopee!) as long as I am careful to watch for signs of the problem reoccurring.

I plan to resume drinking the Mama's Red Raspberry Brew now, and I think we are finally going to tell our kids that I'm pregnant! (Our 5yo DD would be devastated if the baby died, so we wanted to wait until things were as certain as possible before telling her.)

Thank you for praying, because it worked! And thanks again for all the helpful information and encouragement.

kate  :)