Author Topic: Soap Making: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 69760 times)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Re: Soap Making: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2006, 07:36:13 AM »
I got it, I got it! ;D

I leave in a couple to go make my soap with my MIL.  How fun, I can't wait.  I'll let you guys know how it goes!!!

Offline yanceysemdj

• Learning
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2006, 10:29:30 AM »
I got it, I got it! ;D

I leave in a couple to go make my soap with my MIL. How fun, I can't wait. I'll let you guys know how it goes!!!

Yeah!!! Where did you find it?
Happy to be Mrs. Yancey and mom to Stephan 20, Elizabeth 19, Matthew 17, David 5, James - waiting for us in the arms of our Saviour, Anna 2, Faith- with the Lord, and ?? (anticipated January 2010)

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
    • Daisy Blue Naturals consultant web page
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2006, 12:40:24 PM »
ok my friends...look what I found...it is on ebay, just click on this link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130017510793&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Wondering if you think this is too good to be true, an easy way to do it without chemical additives?
I sent them an email asking for sure if there are NO Chemicals, have not gotten a reply yet.

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
    • Daisy Blue Naturals consultant web page
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2006, 12:43:43 PM »
ok my friends...look what I found...it is on ebay, just click on this link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130017510793&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Wondering if you think this is too good to be true, an easy way to do it without chemical additives?
I sent them an email asking for sure if there are NO Chemicals, have not gotten a reply yet.

I just got a reply from "Barb" the lady selling the organic melt and pour base in the ebay link above...she has a website and it is www.organic-creations.com
I am going to try this out, I know it is a cheater way of doing it....but I want to make soap with my daughter as christmas gifts.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2007, 12:52:46 PM »
I got it, I got it! ;D

I leave in a couple to go make my soap with my MIL.  How fun, I can't wait.  I'll let you guys know how it goes!!!

:-X I forgot all about "letting you guys know."  It was fun to make, and not really that hard.  Because of the lye, I wouldn't recommend making soap with little ones around, unless you have someone else watching them.  It was also a lot better to make soap along with someone with experience.  Also, my MIL already had pans and stuff designated for soap making.  It would have been a lot more work to gather everything on my own.

Since I used beef tallow, my soap turned out kind "meaty" smelling.  I plan to mill it and add some additives, scents and color, and that is supposed to remedy that.  I actually just ordered molds and stuff this week, so hopefully I will do it soon.

I guess that the milling and molding would be about like the melt and pour method, wouldn;t it?

Offline horsegirl

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2007, 08:33:05 AM »
My mom has a book for soapmaking, if anyone is interested I could post a recipe on here. It has several different kinds, goat soap, oatmeal scrub, and stuff like that.
  I have two goats I am hoping to get bred this spring and eventually I'm going to try make soap:)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2007, 09:29:09 AM »
I have a fairly large batch of bar soap that is very superfatted :( I like to use it on my feet/hands if they are dry and I made some into a liquid handsoap in combination w/ Ivory, but otherwise it is just too oily.
If you were in my place would you try to melt it down and add more lye? or do I have to chalk this up to experience and double check all recipes w/ a lye calculator?
Any other uses or suggestions?

freshisbest

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2007, 11:07:01 AM »
Great company, Walton Feed....I buy all my grains, etc from them.

Offline paprika

• Learning
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2007, 11:39:49 AM »
It's not homemade but a soap we really like we buy from Gaiam. Here's the link:

http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product/02-9074

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2007, 12:04:44 PM »
or do I have to chalk this up to experience and double check all recipes w/ a lye calculator?

I'd say chalk it up to experience and you can keep your hands and feet very mosterized for a long time.  ;)

I'd hesitate to add lye to an already made soap.  Seems like it wouldn't work well, and you could end up losing the soap that you do have.

This ia just an opinion and not based on experience.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2007, 12:10:14 PM »
Yeah, boysmama, I don't think you can add lye to finished soap either. You may be able to use it up in laundry soap though...?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline hjm

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »
I have a fairly large batch of bar soap that is very superfatted :( I like to use it on my feet/hands if they are dry and I made some into a liquid handsoap in combination w/ Ivory, but otherwise it is just too oily.
If you were in my place would you try to melt it down and add more lye? or do I have to chalk this up to experience and double check all recipes w/ a lye calculator?

I would go ahead and try melting part of it down and adding more lye.  Superfatted soap does not seem to work well for laundry soap.  You might try asking one of the soap makers on line (one's with web pages that say they love to answer questions).  :)
hjm

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2007, 03:59:43 PM »
Yeah, boysmama, I don't think you can add lye to finished soap either. You may be able to use it up in laundry soap though...?
It is just to oily for laundry :(

earthymomof2

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2007, 04:07:24 PM »
how superfatted was it?  Did your recipe say what percentage excess oil there was?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2007, 04:15:28 PM »
how superfatted was it?  Did your recipe say what percentage excess oil there was?
It did not say...it was from an obscure looking book. I wish I had checked this recipe first or looked for a similar one on line, but live and learn :P  By my calculations it is at least 12% superfatted... I should have used 2 3/4 oz more lye to get it to a 4%...

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2007, 09:06:52 AM »
OK, Ive read the Natural soap book and the soap makers companion and a few others.  Im wondering from those of you who make your own soaps:
Do you have any tips on your favorite place to get ingredients?  Like the oil (coconut, palm, olive)  I was looking at the suggested companies in the back of the books, but wondering if any of you have delt with them and know which ones are good to buy from.  Or places to buy lye.  I will look into the two listed earlier in this thread.  thanks for any input

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »
OK, Ive read the Natural soap book and the soap makers companion and a few others.  Im wondering from those of you who make your own soaps:
Do you have any tips on your favorite place to get ingredients?  Like the oil (coconut, palm, olive)  I was looking at the suggested companies in the back of the books, but wondering if any of you have delt with them and know which ones are good to buy from.  Or places to buy lye.  I will look into the two listed earlier in this thread.  thanks for any input

I get my oils from soaperschoice.com. They have great prices, but you do have to buy in a large quantity. As for the lye, I just get that at my local little country market. Since we live near the Amish (who make a lot of their own things), I guess that's why they stock it there.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »
I like Dianna's Sugar Plum Sundries

diannassundries.com

Offline curlzz6504

• Learning
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »
In everyone's opinion, what is the most helpful soap making book for a beginner?   ???

THANKS! 

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2007, 03:51:50 PM »
I watched a demonstration and learned from a book called Goats Produce Too!  If you don't have a goat, then the book won't be too helpful...it's mostly about using goat milk and eating goat...lol
For an internet resource...my all time favorite is to go to www.millersoap.com
Rachel's Tried and True soap recipe is the one I use to teach beginning soap classes.  The ingredients are easy to find and it costs about 20 cents a bar to make with color and scent...which is really cheap.  Miller soap has several handouts to read. When I have had soap mess up, I have been able to save it through those printable handouts.  Beware...soapmaking can be addictive!   ;D ;D

pljammie
Mrs. P

Offline curlzz6504

• Learning
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2007, 04:00:17 PM »
Thanks!  That's very helpful information!  :)

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
  • "It starts when you sink in his arms and ends with
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2007, 03:54:07 AM »
Okay, I know this thread is talking about making bar soap, but I was wondering if anyone makes their own natural baby soap?  I thought I had read a recipe somewhere on this site, but can't find it now.  I have been trying to find a better soap for my children, but everything they sell is so complicated sounding or doesn't smell good.  I like my kids to smell nice.  One soap I got to try was castile baby soap and my husband and I thought that they smelled like someone had thrown up all over their head.  Any help would be great.  Thanks in advance.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2007, 11:35:51 AM »
bump

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2007, 03:35:36 PM »
Are you interested in a baby bar soap, or liquid? And if you care to list some ingredients, perhaps we can help decode them for you...   ???

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2007, 06:59:52 PM »
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 04:20:39 PM   by  ALittleMore
When I joined and said I had a bath product business, I had no idea so many people were wanting to make soap! Well for everyone who has asked me, I'll post some recipes in this thread:

Use a Melt and Pour Glycerine base made w/ Coconut Oil for best results.

I just bought some homemade soap today from a local gal who has bees, and makes things with the wax.  Anyways, that got me interested in learning how to make soap, so I came right away to WTM to see what I could learn  ;D  I think for now I'm interested in using the melt and pour soap bases, and was wondering if any of you have tried the soap bases, particularly the goat milk or the plain glycerin, soap bases by Ponte Vedra Soap Shoppe, www.pvsoap.com  I don't know anything about the SLS, but it doesn't seem to be these soap bases, and there prices don't seem to be too bad, but I haven't looked at S&H, nor compared the prices to other sites. 
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2007, 11:34:36 AM »
Well I have only made one melt and pour soap.Hated it.And it was honestly more work than from scratch! Soap is really fun to make.Yesterday Sarah and I made 39#.Fun.
  I taught myself how to make soap when I was 15 or 16 yrs old and love to make it.I am no expert yet I know enough.Just find a simple recipe online.For starts just use on or 2 oils.You can make small batches like 1 bar at a time or as large as your containers will hold.
  Find a friend and have a fun soap day.You will like it!

Em

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2007, 03:16:17 PM »
Well I have only made one melt and pour soap.Hated it.And it was honestly more work than from scratch! Soap is really fun to make.Yesterday Sarah and I made 39#.Fun.
  I taught myself how to make soap when I was 15 or 16 yrs old and love to make it.I am no expert yet I know enough.Just find a simple recipe online.For starts just use on or 2 oils.You can make small batches like 1 bar at a time or as large as your containers will hold.
  Find a friend and have a fun soap day.You will like it!

Em
Thanks for the personal experience, and also the encouragement Em!  I used the lavender soap I'd bought, and really liked it.  While rubbing the soap on I could smell the lavender, however the smell didn't last on my skin after it was washed off.  The oils the gal used in this soap were palm, coconut and avocado.  The other ingred. are water, whole milk, beeswax, lye, Lavender EO, Lavender flowers, and vitamin E.  She said she really likes to use the avocado oil in the soaps and other products she makes.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2007, 04:45:44 AM »
I am new to soap making, actually I haven't made my first batch yet but am still reading up on it.  I have seen several recipes using canola and or crisco, I know I would never use these in cooking and was just wondering if I shouldn't use them in soap.  I know your skin absorbs a lot and wasn't sure if using these in soap would be just as bad or almost as bad for you as eating them.  Does anyone know?  ??? :-\ Thanks.

earthymomof2

« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2007, 05:15:16 AM »
Its fine to use these in soaps because they're completely transformed in the chemical reaction of the lye with the soap.  They're not really exactly oils anymore.  There is a small amount of "unsaponified" oils left when you superfat your soap, but I still think its perfectly fine to use the cheap, "bad for you" oils.

HTH

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2007, 05:20:33 AM »
I am fairly new to the whole soapmaking thing, but this is my take on it.  I personally prefer not to use crisco, but  do use things like lard and soy.  IMO at least lard and soy are natural oils, and not a manmade concoction.  I know several people who learned to make soap using crisco and had a good soap that was affordable.  I would look at what you want your budget to be as some of these oils can get really pricey.
You can make it as simple or complicated as you want.  I would suggest finding a friend who has done it a few times as it really helps.  For me... I can read about trace and about how to stir, but until I see it done it doesnt always click for me.
I personally like the addition of herbs via infused oils and adding in many different oils.
You can use the lye calculator at majestic mountain and come up with any combo that you like. 
The mullerfarm website has some good info along with the miller site that has been previously mentioned. 

These are the recipes that I made last week.  I had made the cocoa butter soap before and it is great for kids... It is very rich and soothing, has a nice lather, and doesn't leave the sticky film that I often feel with some soaps.  I infused the olive oil with lavender, lemon grass, and calendula and then scented it with lemon eo and lavender eo, but you could use anything.  I had used cassia(cinnamon) the last time I did this one as I thought it went nice with the cocoabutter smell.
The peppermint recipe was a new one, and it isn't as white as I wanted, but I infused the coconut oil with peppermint prior to making the soap.

Peppermint soap
20 lard
20 coconut oil(I'll infuse this with some peppermint)
20 soy oil
10 sweet almond oil
9.9 lye
20 water
(temps 100-125F)

Children's soap
20 lard
15 olive oil(I'll infuse with lavender and lemon grass)
15 coconut oil
9 cocoa butter
15 grapeseed oil
lye 10.2
water 25
temps 100-125F