Author Topic: What is my REAL Weight Supposed to Be?  (Read 10373 times)

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
What is my REAL Weight Supposed to Be?
« on: February 12, 2009, 04:07:48 PM »
What would you say are REAL weights supposed to be? I remember reading in Dr. Phil's book, years ago that for my height, 5'3", age, 18-25 (almost 23), and bone structure, I have a quite small bone structure, that I was supposed to weigh 120 lb. I know that that is probably pretty skinny, I don't think I have been under 130 since I reached puberty at 12.

How can I tell what a good weight for me is? I weigh about 150-155ish right now.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
Re: What is my REAL Weight Supposed to Be?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
I read somewhere that for you to be at a "perfect" weight (who decides whats perfect  ???   ::)  ) You are supposed to weight 100 pounds for the 1st 5 feet. After that its 5 pounds per inch. So, sorry to say, according to "their" scale you are only supposed to weight 115 pounds  ::)    :o   

Now for me, I am 5'9" and I am supposed to weight 145. I would say that is a good weight. I don't EVER remember weighting that little, but thats where I hope to get. Last Christmas I was 155-158 and I still felt/looked like I could lose another 10 pounds.  ::)

I think there really is no REAL weight. Everyones bones are different size & different weight. For example, my cousins weigh as much as me right now, but they look about 2-3 times my size  :o

I just say (to myself also  ::) ) just make sure you are healthy & look good  ;)

http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »
Thanks, I know that for some part that it is really going to vary per person, but I would like to know how I can know what a healthy weight is... KWIM?

The smallest I ever have been, I have no idea what weight I was, I was wearing an average of a size 8 (all my every day pants and clothes, course I made sure my jeans were pretty loose), a rare 6 (2 skirts) and even rare'er (1 skirt) a size 4. I still had a tiny tiny bit of tummy pudge. (I actually never started to gain weight on my tummy until a year ago, now I have a pretty pudgy tummy) and I knew my hips were really big, the rest of me was pretty small, showing my small body build. I would have said then that I was overweight, but not seriously.

Now I have a lot of tummy pudge and my hips.... I wont even go there! :D I also noticed that for the first time ever my ankles, wrists etc have filled out and they are larger than they used to be.... I know I am at an unhealthy weight right now, but I really want to know how to tell what a healthy weight is!

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:43:29 PM »
this chart http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/asm/calc_healthyweight.aspx
matches my experience with weight. I'm 5'9 and agree that 135-169 is a healthy weight range for me.
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 02:45:07 AM »
I went to the weight watchers site to see what my ideal weight was supposed to be. I'm 5'3 and it said I should be between 109-141. To me that seems like a pretty wide range. I'm short so if I gain weight you can really tell. If I stay closer to the 115-120 range I look fine, but if I gain weight - even 5 pounds - I think you can really see it because I'm shorter. I don't know, maybe it's just me??

Offline newmamapjp

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 03:26:57 AM »
I checked mine also on the weight watchers and it said for me (5'5") 120-150. I'm a little over 150. Not sure exactly. But I just had a baby 4 months ago. Before I got pregnant I was about 145. But what I think we have to consider with this site is that it said the average ADULT should be with in those weight limits. Not the average adult FEMALE. Men and women are going to weigh in differently at different ages and heights. Just something to think about and consider. And have we had a baby/babies?  ;)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 03:49:23 AM »
If you are supposed to weigh 100 pounds for the first 5 feet, then I should only weigh 100 pounds and that AIN'T happenin'  ;) My mom is 4'10" and very petite and she even has trouble staying at 100.

I am like some of you, I don't put a lot of "stock" in an across the board ideal weight.  I think you have to consider bone structure, age, and gender.  My son is 13, 5'4" and not at all overweight looking and he weighs 110.  He's not "skinny" but neither is he fat.  He looks good.  ;D I am on a fast right now and Have lost about 20 pounds so far.  I am down to 140.8.  I am so used to being well I was going to say hefty, but fat really that it's hard to imagine I can lose another 26 w/o looking scrawny.  Well, I could never look scrawny but my husband says my face looks "gaunt"  ::)  My neck does look skinny to me but that is not the part I have been worrying about.  :)  My goal weight is 115.  I am short so like someone else said 5-10 pounds is pretty noticeable. I think I have a medium bone structure.  I was 115 on my wedding day. Not sure I will actually ever get there to stay there but I need a goal anyway.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 04:15:15 AM »
A good measurement to use is a BMI chart.  Those are the most balanced weight ideas that I've found.

Again, there is a range, but it makes sense.  Take into consideration whether you are small, medium or big boned (no kidding yourself!) and also your body - are you active and athletic?  If so you'll have more muscle which weighs more than fat.  But again, no fooling yourself.  We all know how big our bones are and we all know if we are muscular or flabby, right?

Google "BMI Calculator" and you'll find a number of sites.  You plug in your height in inches and there's a simple formula.  From there you can see if you are underweight, in your range, overweight or obese.

I really believe that we as women know darn well when we are a good weight and when we are chubby and when we are downright overweight.  I've been all three.  Some years ago, at 5'7" I weighed 220 pounds and could convince myself that I was just going to be "a bit bigger than most girls" but it was ok to be a size 20.  Now when I am honest with myself I can see that 150-155 is too heavy and that 140-145 is my ideal weight.

What does your body look like naked?  Yikes!  Forget battle scars and baby bulge.  What do you look like in clothes?  How do you feel?  It can be less about numbers and more about honest assessment.

If you're married, pick a good day when your hormones are steady and your emotions unwavering.  Then ask your husband to be kind but honest about your weight and your body.  Only do it if you want to know the truth, right?   ;)

BMI Calculator - it's a handy tool!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 04:26:57 AM »
I agree CC.  I recently bought a scale and it has BMI on it.  I then used on online and they matched.  I think too it's helps when it's just water gain b/c I THINK, not 100% sure yet but if it is just water gain I think the BMI doesn't change on my scale.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 04:35:26 AM »

I really believe that we as women know darn well when we are a good weight and when we are chubby and when we are downright overweight.  I've been all three.  Some years ago, at 5'7" I weighed 220 pounds and could convince myself that I was just going to be "a bit bigger than most girls" but it was ok to be a size 20.  Now when I am honest with myself I can see that 150-155 is too heavy and that 140-145 is my ideal weight.

WELL SAID!  I too believe this is the best indicator, if you are honest with yourself. 

At one point in college, with no money, I was 6'0" and weighed 155.  I was tired and felt awful all the time.  Fast forward, had a little more money, ate better, weighed 165 and felt great (and I will add that I had to go to the college health clinic at the time and the dr. said I weighed too much now! - No wonder girls are anorexic!)  I weighed that for the next 15 years, no matter what I did, ate a lot, a little, exercised, work hard, was a sluggard - and always felt good.  After baby 6 then 7,  never lost the pregnancy weight and 8 years later am still over weight, don't feel as good.  BUT I know if I did get back down to 165 (I'm about 190-95) I would not feel good.  I know that if I weighed about 180 I would feel much better.  SO, age does matter, stage of life does matter.  Don't just look in the mirror to decided if your weight is what is best for you.

Offline paradisemamma

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 04:54:29 AM »
A good measurement to use is a BMI chart.  Those are the most balanced weight ideas that I've found.

Again, there is a range, but it makes sense.  Take into consideration whether you are small, medium or big boned (no kidding yourself!) and also your body - are you active and athletic?  If so you'll have more muscle which weighs more than fat.  But again, no fooling yourself.  We all know how big our bones are and we all know if we are muscular or flabby, right?

Google "BMI Calculator" and you'll find a number of sites.  You plug in your height in inches and there's a simple formula.  From there you can see if you are underweight, in your range, overweight or obese.

What does your body look like naked?  Yikes!  Forget battle scars and baby bulge.  What do you look like in clothes?  How do you feel?  It can be less about numbers and more about honest assessment.

If you're married, pick a good day when your hormones are steady and your emotions unwavering.  Then ask your husband to be kind but honest about your weight and your body.  Only do it if you want to know the truth, right?   ;)

BMI Calculator - it's a handy tool!
Here's a simple BMI calculator.................www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 11:53:23 AM »
I am on a fast right now and Have lost about 20 pounds so far.  I am down to 140.8. 

Just wondering... what kind of fast are you on?? I wanna lose 20 pounds!  ;D
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »

[/quote][/color]

WELL SAID!  I too believe this is the best indicator, if you are honest with yourself

I'm really not sure. I'm 5'3 and 135- 140 lbs. When I ask dh, he says I'm fine. I think maybe I'd be better off asking a girl friend. As soon as I loose weight my mom tells me I'm too skinny and it comes right off my face and I don't like how sunken my eyes look then. I was 111 when we got married and too thin. I feel great. I'm very active. Well, I guess I'm kind of chubby, but maybe I look better it this way. I eat mostly what I want and don't gain weight. I usually loose a few lbs in the summer and gain a few in the winter. So what an ideal weight for me? is skinny always better?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 04:25:55 PM »
I am on a fast right now and Have lost about 20 pounds so far.  I am down to 140.8. 

Complete water.  At first I would add like 1/4 lemon to 1 1/2 qts of water.  On day 10 I began to add 1/4 tsp salt to 1 1/2 qts of water.  some people don't advocate a complete water fast but it works for me.  I have done the MC but I think I prefer just water.  I drank smooth move tea once and and planning on some tonight.  I MIGHT do a salt water flush in the morning.  I got pretty turned off of those during the MC though.  I do an enema once a week.  I have done two coffee ones.  No doubt this will get moved but I don't know how to quote your question and then move it to the proper thread. Sorry.  :)

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 12:11:08 PM »
OK, so maybe I should rephrase my question. :D How do I tell when I am at a healthy weight? How do you tell?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 02:59:09 PM »
OK, so maybe I should rephrase my question. :D How do I tell when I am at a healthy weight? How do you tell?
What I look at mostly is the % and pounds of body fat.  Normals would be in the 16-25% range with the pounds of actual fat variable as to your size.
The percentage goes up when you gain fat, and down when you lose fat.... it isn't taking other variables into consideration.
You can use one of the electronic scales at home or a formula using measurements to calculate your body fat.  THese aren't as accurate as having a professional calculate it, but they come pretty close and will give you an idea of where you are versus where you need to be.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 07:51:02 PM »

Complete water.  At first I would add like 1/4 lemon to 1 1/2 qts of water.  On day 10 I began to add 1/4 tsp salt to 1 1/2 qts of water.  some people don't advocate a complete water fast but it works for me.  I have done the MC but I think I prefer just water.  I drank smooth move tea once and and planning on some tonight.  I MIGHT do a salt water flush in the morning.  I got pretty turned off of those during the MC though.  I do an enema once a week.  I have done two coffee ones.  No doubt this will get moved but I don't know how to quote your question and then move it to the proper thread. Sorry.  :)

Wow!  :o So you don't eat ANYTHING for that long???  :o   ??? How long??? 

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 12:51:26 AM »
Well, this time just the month of Feb.  But I will probly end up going thru March 1 b/c Sunday isn't a very good day to come off b/c I am supposed to drink 1 TBS of diluted juice every coupld "minutes" :) 

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 06:00:50 AM »

I guess I'd use several factors - what size my clothing labels are, what my weight is, what my BMI is, my bone structure, how I feel, how I look in clothes AND out of clothes, what my husband, sister, mother or trusted girlfriends tell me.

I really do think that we all have the instinct to know if we are too fat, too thin or pretty much average and right.  I also think that our media and American culture have so distorted the image of a woman's body and weight that we have been fooled into thinking the wrong things.  We have NO clue what a proper portion of food is, we see emaciated models in magazines and think they are an example, our children are becoming more obese each year, and no matter how hard we try, we still feel "fat" and "dumpy."

So, maybe take a sheet of paper and write down all the factors:

clothing size
weight
height
BMI
body fat
positive/negative feelings about how you look
opinions of others (be honest and willing to listen)
how you feel - energy, health, etc.

Then look at the overall picture.  Is it a picture of a healthy woman who feels good and likes how she looks, generally, in and out of clothing (no one is perfect!), or is it a woman who feels squishy and dumpy.  Is it a woman who is constantly looking at the numbers on the scale and feeling like a horrible failure.  Is it a woman who is always on a "diet" and "needs to lose a few pounds."

You'll know.  Trust me!  I've been to h*ll and back on the weight and diet issue.  It's a bummer to live that way!