Author Topic: Allergies to: Wheat, Milk, Corn, Peanut, AND soy help, tips, and recipes  (Read 6861 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
I have gathered a little help with the gluten free casein free thread, but it seems like all those recipes also contain either milk, corn, or soy. 
My daughter is allergic to all of those and I had a heck of a time at the store.  If a food was wheat and milk free, then it had either soy or corn.  It was difficult to find anything.  Cheese is okay, according to the allergist, but yogurt or other milk products are not.
Does anyone else have these same allergies and have a good cookbook or recipes?  I looked on-line and couldn't find recipes that eliminated ALL of those allergens.   :-\

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: Allergies to: Wheat, Milk, Corn, Peanut, AND soy help, tips, and recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »
We have the same problems. The Allergy Self Help Cookbook by Marjorie Hurt Jones is Wheat, Milk, Eggs, Corn, Yeast, Soy, Sugar, etc free. 

http://www.amazon.com/Allergy-Self-Help-Cookbook-Natural-Allergens/dp/0875961096

I may have an extra copy if you're interested.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
I empathize with you; it's frustrating--especially at first, when you're re-evaluating all your favorite recipes and wondering what in the world to cook.  How can I make stir-fry without soy sauce?  How can I make pan gravy without wheat flour?  How can I make pumpkin pie without evaporated milk?  What do I bread the chicken in before frying? 

It takes some time, but after a while it won't seem hard at all.  You'll get used to what's usually in a type of food.  Your brain will become a recipe file that will tick through all the possible ingredients in a dish, and steer your daughter toward something safer.  You will become something of a food chemist, learning what kinds of substitutions can be made that will make the food delicious, if not exactly like the original.

The best resource, in my experience, has been talking to other women who have had to change their cooking habits to fit someone's allergies.  The allergen-free threads on here have been great, as has the owner of our local health food store.  Lots of trial and error, and a year later, most of the time cooking for our family is as easy as it was pre-allergies.

My one and only allergy-free recipe book is
"So, What Do You Eat?" by Stephanie Hapner.  It contains recipes she developed to fit her child's food allergy needs.  I think she avoids cow's milk, wheat and corn.  I have found a couple helpful recipes in there, but for the most part, I've either made substitutions in our old standby recipes, or found good new ones on the internet.

I know someone put together an Allergy-Free cookbook on here.  I'm sure you'd find some helpful recipes in there, too.
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
Hey, HIO.  I'm sorry you have to do this.  It's so hard, especially in the beginning.

If I were you, I'd do a lot with potatoes at the beginning.  You might want to invest in a fryer, if you don't have one already.  We made our own french fries instead of getting pizza or burgers for a while there.  You can also mash them, make oven baked chips, and bake them, and fry up slices of them with a lot of sea salt.  They're pretty useful. 

You know, I was thinking that some raw food and vegetarian cookbooks have great allergen-free ideas.  I have a cookbook called 'yoga kitchen' that's full of great ideas--like southwestern quinoa pilaf, and millet croquettes (I think), and a lot of veggie dishes with a lot of spice and flavor, but limited allergens.  It's pretty full of Hindu philosophy, but the recipes are good.

If you can come up with a substitue for eggs, the grain-free gourmet has lots of recipes using almond flour.  But they also use yogurt, butter (can she eat ghee?), and eggs, so I don't know if that one would be a good one for you.

They did have an idea for taco shells:  You can bake rounds of provolone cheese on low heat in the oven until they are browned and a little crispy around the edges, but not completely falling apart.  Set up a broom handle between two chairs, and cover the handle with paper towels to create a clean surface.  Then, when the cheese is right, drape it over the handle until it cools.  It comes out looking just like taco shells.  There's a bit of an art involved with this, so they say, but it looks promising, if you can't do corn.

My kids have learned to love rice and curry dishes.  You can make curry sauces that flavor up chicken, that don't have allergens in them. 

For baking, that would be really hard.  I have a recipe for coconut macaroons, if you want them.  I also have a recipe for non-dairy chocolate pudding made with young coconut.  It's posted on WTM somewhere.  They don't have your no-no's.  The no-egg problem is pretty hard to work around, bless your heart.  I'm thinking that if you can come up with an egg substitute, though, the world will look a lot better. 

Also, in most of my cookbooks, they say ghee is cassein-free, it might be worth trying.  Also, spectrum makes a veggie shortening that could sub for butter. 

I was thinking that you could make (or buy) sorbets this summer instead of ice cream for her.  You could also do frozen fruit smoothies, or berries with syrup, or baked apples with (gasp) cool whip (nondairy). 

If you get a dehydrator, you can make flatbread crackers for her to use as dippers.  A dehydrator helped us a lot when we didn't have a lot of food options. 

Well, I hope this helps.  I feel for you, and hope you get it worked out.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 04:33:26 PM »
Set up a broom handle between two chairs, and cover the handle with paper towels to create a clean surface.  Then, when the cheese is right, drape it over the handle until it cools.  It comes out looking just like taco shells.  There's a bit of an art involved with this,

:o :o  My goodness, all that work for taco shells! lol
Thankfully, she is not allergic to eggs. Well, she was never tested, but I am just going to ignore that one.  Thanks for the ideas.  Every little bit helps, and I am taking one day at a time.  ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »
Our diet is free of most of these things when we eat Korean.  Is she allergic to soy sauce (fermented) or just processed soy?  One of our more common recipes is marinated in soy sauce, but of course, you could make the meats any way you like and just serve them with rice.  Rice is gluten free and makes a great meal stretcher.  The majority of what we eat around here is free of every allergen you mentioned and it's not even truly intentional.

Check out the Korean thread for some ideas.  I also roast/fry chicken alot and add whatever's handy (cheese of any flavor, mushrooms, tomatoes, sauces, green beans, carrots, brocolli, sesame seeds/oil) and serve it with rice too.  You can use just about any of these ingredients in scrambled eggs, quiche, or omeletes.  There's always potatoes as well, mashed, boiled, baked, fried, twice baked, cubed/seasoned/baked, etc.  You might check the Asian food store and see if you can find rice flour egg roll/wanton wrappers and you can get rice noodles for your spagetti.  They also have gluten free noodles at Walmart now.  I don't really like pasta, so personally, we just go with the rice, but I know my kids love rice noodles and potatoe noodles (also from the Asian food store).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
HIO,

If she's allergic to the things you posted, you might do well to pull eggs too.  Eggs are a high allergen and she already has allergies to a few high allergens.  Just a thought.  We use duck eggs in place of chicken eggs.  Can't tell the difference when they're in stuff.  They have a little bit different texture fried/scrambled, but my kids still like them (I don't). 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 05:32:34 PM »
I've been having some problems posting lately on 7XS if my post contains multiple links & now it's giving me problems trying to post what I want to post on this thread. I have links to several threads that will have recipes that might help. I know that many of them looking at the titles seem like they won't help but the recipes they contain for the most part meet her allergy requirements.

So anyways, I will be posting them (if it works this time, LOL) a couple of threads at a time & later when the glitch is fixed, I will combine them all into one post.

Modified to combine all links into one post.  

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

(GFCF) Gluten Free Casein Free Diets: Menus, Recipes & Tips

(GFCF) Gluten Free Casein Free AND Egg Free: Recipes & Tips

Anti-Candida Diets...Daily Log for Encouragement

Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) for Yeast & Other Intestinal Issues

Shabby's 40 Day Nursing Mama's Yeast Cleanse...

Low Carb Recipes [Atkins, Anti-Candida, High Protein, etc.]

GAPS Method / Diet [Gut and Psychology Syndrome]

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD or GAPS Diet) Recipes

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:43:53 PM by herbalmom »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »
I read the GAPS diet link and most of their stuff has dairy or corn in it.  :-\

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:58:11 AM »
  Is she allergic to soy sauce (fermented) or just processed soy? 

That is a good question.  I am going to assume both?  I only assume this because as she is allergic to cow's milk, the doctor also said that she couldn't have cow milk yogurt, too.  And that is fermented.  But goat's milk is fine(abbilynn taught me a quick casein lesson.)  But she can have cheese??  That is weird. 

I also thought about checking out an asian food store, but I don't know of one nearby.  Wonder if I can google that. 
It may be easier just to come to your house for a meal, HB!  ;)

HIO,

If she's allergic to the things you posted, you might do well to pull eggs too. 

You might as well just shoot me, Patti! lol

Thanks everyone for your help!  :-*

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:48:42 AM »
I read the GAPS diet link and most of their stuff has dairy or corn in it.  :-\

SCD DOES allow dairy & corn so you can't use all the recipes but many of the recipes don't have either so you can just pick the ones that you can use.

As far as GAPS, it DOESN'T allow dairy or corn.

http://gapsdiet.com/The_Diet.html

http://gapsdiet.com/GAPS_Outline.html

The GAPS diet has recipes that you can use.

You might also think about following the entire Gaps diet at some point- it's focus is to HEAL the gut & balance the gut flora which often heals the allergies & other medical problems as well. Doesn't this DD have other medical issues as well? The GAPS diet could be just what you're looking for to help heal her system in so many ways. Something to think about anyways.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:54:53 AM by herbalmom »

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:56:13 AM »
Wow HIO,  Your allergen list looks a LOT like my dds. :'( It is hard and frustrating.......  We can do peanuts but not eggs, at least not in any quantity. I cut eggs out of my baking and use an egg replacer from Ener-G and then she can have an occasional egg for breakfast without ill effect. We are going to try goat milk next wk as I just found a source. We have been using hemp milk or coconut milk, mostly hemp though as much coconut gives dd a gut ache. I think our fav products are Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas. We use these for a lot of different things. I recently made beef enchiladas (we can't have cheese so I haven't wanted to try them) and they were a big hit. They work in place of bread and, if baked, for chips. I think they are one of our "can't live without" things. ::) They do have a different texture that flour tortillas though, just a heads up. We also do a lot of whole grains and Tinkyada brand brown rice pasta. I am having a hard time with sauces though....... I wish we could have cheese!!!
Oh, and I just found fish sauce at my local HFS store and we use that on stir fry and stuff in place off soy sauce. We can have soy as far as I know but usually don't........ You have to watch say sauce too because most of it has wheat.  The fish sauce (found in the thai section I believe) is very salty and not fishy. We also found a plum vinegar that was very good combined with the fish sauce. We made some fabulous fried rice with them!

If I think of any other fav. products I'll let you know.......

ETA: My kids love (for a treat) Shelton brand hot dogs (they are gluten free and preservative free) and Kettle brand potato chips.  ;D
We have also found that soup is pretty easy to make within the guidelines. My kids are esp fond of blended soups....

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:00:52 AM by beppyjo »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »

HIO,

If she's allergic to the things you posted, you might do well to pull eggs too. 

You might as well just shoot me, Patti! lol

Thanks everyone for your help!  :-*
[/quote]

Just trying to make life easier for you.   ;D   :-* ;)  Sorry, didn't mean to stress you out.   ::)

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 04:07:07 PM »
HIO, I second the recommendation of the GAPS protocol. I just got the book and it is incredible. I am going to make a Unit Study out of it for the kids to learn about their bodies and how they work. The author is an MD and a neurologist and a nutritionist. The whole thing is very Weston A Price friendly.

I'm gonna PM you...
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
This seemed the most appropriate place to put this question.  What are some symptoms of wheat allergy?  I got to thinking that on days when I bake bread (we eat a lot of it that day) I get gassy from it.  I've always thought it was because it wasn't soaked properly (still working on getting a successful sd starter going)  This is the only wheat symptom I have that I can really note.  Could that be an allergy/sensitivity sign?
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 01:31:45 AM »
This seemed the most appropriate place to put this question.  What are some symptoms of wheat allergy?  I got to thinking that on days when I bake bread (we eat a lot of it that day) I get gassy from it.  I've always thought it was because it wasn't soaked properly (still working on getting a successful sd starter going)  This is the only wheat symptom I have that I can really note.  Could that be an allergy/sensitivity sign?

Absolutely.  But that would be more a gluten symptom then wheat.  While your waiting on test results (which will take about 3 weeks with the holidays), you could remove wheat and gluten (they are two different allergies) and in a few weeks try to eat it and see what happens.  That's when you'll really notice if you're allergic to it.  If your temper is one of the symptoms you'll notice at the end of two weeks that it gets almost instantly better.  Our change was dramatic! 

Keep in mind it actually takes 30 days to get an allergen completely out of your system.  But if you are really allergic to something (high on the ELISA scale) you will notice a difference at least in your major symptoms within two weeks. 

patti

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 07:45:39 AM »
Check out Super Allergy Girl Cookbook--best one I've seen...more than recipes.  EXCELLENT.  She has a web site--Google her.  Lisa Lundy.

http://www.thesuperallergycookbook.com/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:58:52 AM by Yooper »

Offline dvbrd

• Learning
    • Surviving Allergeez
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 07:46:26 AM »
Check out these two blogs for some great milk, egg, and nut free recipes.

www.speedbumpkitchen.com

www.foodallergymama.com

I'm getting ready to make the applesauce quick bread on food allergy mama! It looks too good to pass up.

Offline laffan

• Wide Eyed

Absolutely.  But that would be more a gluten symptom then wheat.  While your waiting on test results (which will take about 3 weeks with the holidays), you could remove wheat and gluten (they are two different allergies) and in a few weeks try to eat it and see what happens.  That's when you'll really notice if you're allergic to it.  If your temper is one of the symptoms you'll notice at the end of two weeks that it gets almost instantly better.  Our change was dramatic! 

Keep in mind it actually takes 30 days to get an allergen completely out of your system.  But if you are really allergic to something (high on the ELISA scale) you will notice a difference at least in your major symptoms within two weeks. 

patti

WOW! one's temper could be effected by an allergy? I have recently found that eliminating wheat (gluten was my original thought, but barley didn't bother me) stopped my pains that have gotten worse over the last decade. these pains were just gas, but cramping so bad that I couldn't stand up straight, and if I lay down I felt fine. Now if I want to eat wheat I just take a couple Beano pills. No cramping, but I'll feel slugish, and am sometimes bloated.
So should I avoid wheat all together, or is taking the Beano digestive enzyme a good call? ???
I haven't really tried other wheat-free foods with gluten, but if it helps my temper/impatience/irritability, anything is worth that! What are some other wheat-free, gluten-containing foods? ???
Also, if only wheat bothers me, what breads can I have that may have gluten?  all the gluten free breads I've made or bought were yuck!
thank you so much for any feedback! ~Michelle

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru

WOW! one's temper could be effected by an allergy? I have recently found that eliminating wheat (gluten was my original thought, but barley didn't bother me) stopped my pains that have gotten worse over the last decade. these pains were just gas, but cramping so bad that I couldn't stand up straight, and if I lay down I felt fine. Now if I want to eat wheat I just take a couple Beano pills. No cramping, but I'll feel slugish, and am sometimes bloated.
So should I avoid wheat all together, or is taking the Beano digestive enzyme a good call? ???
I haven't really tried other wheat-free foods with gluten, but if it helps my temper/impatience/irritability, anything is worth that! What are some other wheat-free, gluten-containing foods? ???
Also, if only wheat bothers me, what breads can I have that may have gluten?  all the gluten free breads I've made or bought were yuck!
thank you so much for any feedback! ~Michelle
[/quote]

I would suggest you completely remove gluten for 30 days and see what happens to you physically.  My bet is your allergic to gluten, not just wheat. GF breads taste terrible!  The only one we found that we like is Pamela's and not adding the extra 2tbls of water and cooking for 3:10 instead of 3hrs.  It works good for toast.  Can't say much for any GF bread for sandwiches.  Read through the GF thread on here and you will get a good idea of what you can eat.  After 30 days, you can try something with gluten again and see how you feel.  If we touched gluten in our house we had explosion city.  Now that's it's been a year, we can have small amounts of gluten with no trouble.  But if we get it several days in a row, whoa nellie!  Watch out.   ::) ??? :-X :-\ :'( >:(
Therefore, we avoid it at all cost.  It's NOT worth it!

patti