Author Topic: New Study Attacking Alternative Medicine  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Julia

• Master
New Study Attacking Alternative Medicine
« on: December 14, 2008, 03:54:51 PM »
This article from the Washington Post reports on a study done that says that 38% of adults use alternative medicine. It goes on to quote medical professionals saying how ineffective alternative medicine is and how stupid those who use it are, as well as how they could be endangering themselves. A disturbing part: the study figured out what alternative treatments are used the most, and says now they know what to "research" first - so they can prove it wrong of course.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/10/AR2008121001601.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: New Study Attacking Alternative Medicine
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:32:04 PM »
Well, some types of alternative medicines are snake oil/scams, and I'm sure some stuff can be harmful.

But lots and lots of people die from mainstream medical 'care' every year.  And if you've read the inserts with prescriptions, or ever had to sign one of those wavier forms, then you know that mainstream meds and treatments have lots of risk too.  I know a girl who has been diagnosed with 3 or 4 different diseases from different doctors, and what it boils down to is that none of them know what's really going on, and why her stomach is messed up.  One told her "changing your diet isn't really going to do any good."

So, I guess I have a 'whatever' ::) attitude about articles like this.  I think they just put them in to fill space, and tickle ears.  It's probably what most people want to hear anyway, as it makes the reader feel less responsible for their own health decisions and more dependant on the 'professionals'.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:05:23 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: New Study Attacking Alternative Medicine
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 05:04:27 PM »
The subtitle of the article is very telling:
Study Prompts Critics to Warn of Therapies' Risks
of course, these would be men who are employed to critique natural remedies.
Here is a list of the 'expert' line-up:
First up, a credentialed man with one neutral comment on the survey~ David Eisenberg, director of the Harvard Medical School's division for research and education in complementary and integrative medical therapies. "I think the news is complementary and alternative medicine use by the U.S. public is here to stay."

...and then the author brings out the critics

"They are either unproven or disproven," said Wallace Sampson, founding editor of the Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine.

Seth Asser, a pediatrician and consultant to Children's Healthcare Is a Legal Duty, a nonprofit group that opposes faith healing and other nontraditional medical practices.

Stephen Barrett, who runs Quackwatch

But I love this part:
Adults were most likely to use alternative therapies for pain, including in the back, neck or joints. Women were more likely to use them, as were those who are more educated and more affluent.

And the summary of the article:
the gov't employee who is reporting the results of this survey says:
But Nahin said government-funded research into such therapies is useful, citing a federal study that concluded that St. John's wort was ineffective. After the results were released, use of the herbal remedy dropped sharply, he said.

"The research is working," he said. "It's doing what it's supposed to do, which is provide reliable information to the public so they can make decisions."

So, you see...the government is just trying to help.  Where is your appreciation people!  I mean, this is your tax dollars at work. (please read this paragraph with heavy sarcasm.)
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.