Author Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap  (Read 13957 times)

Offline CountyCork

• Master
Re: Homemade Laundry Soap
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 02:55:24 PM »
For a while I'd been making the liquid laundry soap, sort of a hybrid of HB's recipe.  It worked fine, but I always added the vinegar to my rinse cup.

THEN, Beeyoutiful published a powdered laundry soap in their winter catalog this year.  OH MY, I am a convert.

WAY easier to make, store, and use.  Works great!  Still use the vinegar for the rinse cup.

That's my 2 cents.  I will say that every so often I have a nasty batch of socks that need a bit of bleach, but it's not much.  Overall I am very happy with my homemade laundry soap.

But now am curious about the bluing from Lehmans - going to check it out!

Offline Farm Wife

• Adept
  • 24 years (still newlyweds) with 2 beautiful boys
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »
I use a very simple recipe.  Borax and washing soda plus I grate in soap, something like fels naptha.

The proportions are:

4 C. soap flakes (I shred it in my food processor and let it sit out for 24 hours to cure)
2 C. borax
2 C. washing soda

I use 1 T per load -- I have a front loader

If the load is extra dirty I use 1 T. ecover non-chlorine bleach cleaner which has a lot of dry hydrogen peroxide in it.

HTH
I have used the easier dry method for at least 2-3 years with great results. I have well water but not too hard. I do use Tide on my whites just because they get whiter.
Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works lest any man should boast. :)

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »
You should really try bluing... :D :D I love it, and am sold for life. :)

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 04:41:57 AM »
For a while I'd been making the liquid laundry soap, sort of a hybrid of HB's recipe.  It worked fine, but I always added the vinegar to my rinse cup.

THEN, Beeyoutiful published a powdered laundry soap in their winter catalog this year.  OH MY, I am a convert.

WAY easier to make, store, and use.  Works great!  Still use the vinegar for the rinse cup.
Can you share this recipe, or would we have to buy it from Beeyoutiful?

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 05:10:56 AM »
I'm sure it's fine:

Powdered Laundry Soap (with my modificaitons)
I usually make a 3x batch of this - I have a big family

1 large bar soap, grated on finest holes of box grater (I use Ivory)
2 cups borax
2 cups baking soda
5 drops essential oil of your choice
5 drops of another essential oil (I like citrus like lemon, orange, etc, and lavendar, peppermint or eucalyptus)
2 squirts of Grapefruit Seed Extract (I like beeyoutiful's GSC)

Mix it all well in a large bowl or container, rubbing the oils throughout the powdery mixture - plastic gloves work well here, or just use a whisk or spoon

Keep in a container with a lid - use about 1/4 cup of soap for a regular load of laundry, helps to put it in with the water to dissolve befroe adding clothes.

Use 1/4 cup white vinegar in rinse cup.

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 05:46:49 AM »
Thanks! I am going to give this a try the next batch I make.  ;D

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 05:50:57 AM »
Here's a random tip: I grate my soap in the salad shooter. It saves the knuckles and does the job in seconds!  :o

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 07:53:54 AM »
Here's another random tip regarding homemade laundry soap that came up when I was discussing it the other day with another Mama.

I used to use the homemade soap a long time age (grated/powdered, and I did try the gel version too).  But my whites started taking on a very dingy look to them, no matter what I did.  I finally switched back to liquid laundry detergent.  I was making it for reasons of frugality, not that we had any issues with allergies or other stuff.

Anyway, I've since cloth diapered my baby, and the inserts absorb the detergent (even a miniscule amount) that you wash them in and get dingy over time.  Just like my whites did when I made my laundry soap.  I learned that detergent and soap both build up and leave behind a 'scum' if you will.  Well, from my cloth diapering and hair washing experiments, I've learned: detergent removes soap scum & soap removes detergent scum. 

So if you're having a problem with the dingy whites (and oxy-cleaners and bleaches wont' touch it)...try washing them in detergent a few times and then switching back to your soap.  HTH
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 09:23:46 AM »
Gwen,
That's exactly what I do! I use a batch of homemade laundry soap, and then a bottle of detergent. Back and forth.  :D ...great minds...

Offline littlewife

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 10:18:18 AM »
Gwen,
That's exactly what I do! I use a batch of homemade laundry soap, and then a bottle of detergent. Back and forth.  :D ...great minds...

me too! although i do it for a much unhealthier reason...i love the way bought laundry soap smells, so i have to switch to keep that smell back into my clothes.

Offline mdessy

• Adept
  • Wife Mom Sister Friend UU Nutrition Educator
    • Grains&More
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 10:40:09 AM »
I'm sure it's fine:

Powdered Laundry Soap (with my modificaitons)
I usually make a 3x batch of this - I have a big family

1 large bar soap, grated on finest holes of box grater (I use Ivory)
2 cups borax
2 cups baking soda
5 drops essential oil of your choice
5 drops of another essential oil (I like citrus like lemon, orange, etc, and lavendar, peppermint or eucalyptus)
2 squirts of Grapefruit Seed Extract (I like beeyoutiful's GSC)

Mix it all well in a large bowl or container, rubbing the oils throughout the powdery mixture - plastic gloves work well here, or just use a whisk or spoon

Keep in a container with a lid - use about 1/4 cup of soap for a regular load of laundry, helps to put it in with the water to dissolve befroe adding clothes.

Use 1/4 cup white vinegar in rinse cup.

Any reason for the GSE?

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 02:36:24 PM »
GSE is a natural germ-killer - anti bacterial, anti viral, that sort of thing.  You could use Tea Tree Oil, only it has a stronger scent.  Just something to kill the nasties from laundry :)

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I used HB's recipe and doubled it as she did, here is my findings as follows. My soap was goopy and did not leave any scent, those would normally be fine for me but as you read the rest of my post you will see why I decided to go with what we have been using in the past As follows is what I wrote on my Facebook for those that had been interested.

We buy Bio-Kleen's free and clear laundry soap from Azure Standard at about $71.85 for a five gal bucket. Which is 640 loads for a standard machine (double for an efficient machine) and that includes shipping. This lasts our family of 6 adults 6 months.

My soap costs about $5 for a  five gallon bucket concentrated. But even with it being concentrated I had to use quite a bit in order to get the clothing clean, without a nice scent. That gives me about 100 loads per bucket. When using homemade laundry soap, we need to add in vinegar to help get things clean and fresh. White Distilled vinegar costs around $5 a gallon here, and because of our water, we would have to use at least 1/2 cup each load. That means roughly 2 gallons of vinegar a month. Maybe more I don't think I figured that one right. That equals $60 for six months time, plus $30 for the soap, my total for 6 months of laundry (for 6 adults not just Robert and I) would be $90 using homemade soap.

The Bio-Kleen soap has none of that harsh chemicals that I am trying to avoid, plus it has a great scent that lingers. So I think it is easy to see what I have chosen. I will use half and half until I use up the soap I just made, and then I will see from there if using half and half would be cost effective at all.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:25:41 PM by HappyWifey »

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 07:23:27 AM »
Also on Urban Exodus:

My husband recently started hunting and I don't know how to care for his clothes.  I believe that a skilled hunter could make a wearing a neon sign, but as a new hunter, my husband needs all the help he can get.     I have the whole scent issue under control, but I was concerned about the brightness issue.  Because I know that my Trader Joe's detergent has brighteners that are visible to deer, I'd like to strip any residue before he next goes out.
http://www.bummis.com/media/detergent-information.pdf
http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/hunting/061112hunting.html

I have no budget, so I was hoping to use what I have on hand.  Do you think that a hot water wash with no detergent and a white vinegar rinse would work?  Should I use washing soda or baking soda in place of detergent?  Maybe pure glycerine?  Any ideas?

http://www.atsko.com/products/laundry-care/sensi-clean-iritation.html
In addition, here is some info regarding Sensi-clean/Sport-wash brand:
http://www.duraclean.com/msds/mds_1108-sensi-clean.pdf
My husband has severe asthma, so I would like to avoid using this.

Thanks so much!    ~L

Offline grams+2

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »
Hi...I started making my own detergent about 4 months ago and have had great results! My kids even use it now. I couldn't find the FelsNaptha soap for a long time so I substituted Lava soap instead...I think I like it better. This stuff takes out blood and chocolate!!!! IT WILL NOT SUDS UP. I read that it isn't the suds that clean your clothes....it's what's in the water...Good luck & God Bless.

You'll need 2 5-gallon pails with lids because this makes 10 gallons of laundry soap.

My recipe is:

1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1 cup washing soda

1 bar Lava hand soap (or FelsNaptha)
1 bar Safeguard antibacterial hand soap
1 bar Dial glycerin soap (I like the cranberry scent) (or any other fragrance soaps)

Grate the bar soaps, cover with water and simmer until melted.
In a 5 gallon bucket mix the soda & borax together and add hot water to mix well. After the bar soaps have melted add to the soda mixture. It will thicken up fast so stir it really well. Add water to fill the pail and stir it well. Now pour half in the other pail and fill both withwater to the tops. Seal and let it sit over night. In the morning or sometime the next day open up the pails and blend the entire mixture because it will have congealed. I just use my hands in a back-forth motion until it is all blended. Pour into containers. I use 1/2-1 cup per load.

Please remember it will be somewhat lumpy and you have to shake the container to get the separation blended again. It is worth the work and makes your house smell WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:43:56 AM by grams+2 »

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »
Here is the recipe I've been finding works well for our large family.

1 bar fels naptha (or goats milk) soap
1 cup borax
1 cup arm & hammer washing soda (not baking)

finely grate the soap bar, then run shavings thru processor (I use my coffee bean grinder) to powder.  It helps to add some borax to each batch, to keep the soap from clumping.  Combine the powder with the borax & soda in a covered container (about 3 cups).

This works fine in warm or hot wash - one Tablespoon per XL load.  However, I prefer to use cold for economy most of the time, so make a month's worth of liquid at a time.  I store the liquid in gallon containers and use 1/4 - 1/2 cup per XL load.

Liquid
In a stock pot, dissolve one cup of powdered detergent (above) in hot water.  Add a gallon or so of cold and stir well.  Divide this into 3 or 4 gallon jugs (recycled juice or detergent containers work well) and add more cold water to fill each, equally.  Shake well.  1/4-1//2 cup per load.

Offline Redheadedmama

• Learning
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »
I have a 2lb cookie dough container and I want to make just a small batch of laundry soap in it for a test run. anyone got a recipe for small batches?  I know u can use soap, borax , arm@ hammer laundry detergent.?  I don't want to make a huge batch of it in the beginning , I'm a new learner taking it slow.