As far as I know, the risk of botulism is the same for raw or pasturized honey... at least the health care professionals will warn you about either one for children under one. Their GI tracts may not have the ability to handle the botulism bacteria. And I've never heard of there being any danger in nursing mothers eating honey. I always have. I would think as long as you don't have an actual allergy to bee products, you would be fine taking them. I've taken pollen PG and BF.
I just couldn't resit jotting down some of my rampling thoughts and questions about the issue of " honey".
In the culture I grew up in, it wasn't unusual for parents to put honey on a binky/ finger to calm a fussy infant. I'm left with wondering why there wasn't an epidemic of infants dying? My Mother once coated one of her fingers with honey, and gave it to my baby to suck on. She probably licked her finger clean first, instead of washing it too!
Needless to say I was horrified, thought my baby might get sick or die! My Mother wanted to know where I heard such ridiculous information! What could I say, I was born and raised on honey!
My grandfather was a bee keeper and I'm sure my parents grew up on honey too. I'm wondering how generations of people survived before us, that drank raw milk , raw apple cider, ate butter and honey that didn't know this information?? Infact I never even heard of any babies dying from ingesting honey in that culture! Then again, what do I know, I wasn't even aware that people ate mountain oysters, or what ever them things are called ,
until yesterday, I was enlighten through this forum.