Author Topic: Itchy [Rashes/Hives] While Pregnant  (Read 39537 times)

YoopreMama

Re: Itchy [Rashes/Hives] While Pregnant
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 04:57:34 PM »
The only way I could get relief was to briefly scald my skin.  Not enough to raise my body temp. but just enough to scald the skin a little.  Then the itch would be gone for several hours.  This may not be the best for your skin, but when I'm that itchy I'll do almost anything! :)

I did that, too!  :o HOT baths or washing my hands in very hot water...but now I've found something better...it's almost pleasureable  :-[....Dead sea salt water...a bath w/ it, or a 1/4 c salt to 1 qt of water cocktail ratio dabbed on.  It stings briefly (in a good way) and then itch goes for a few hours...heals it, too.   :)

Re: the Dandelion helping...that's not surprising...the liver's health and your skin are so very closely related.  We're exploring this on the Liver Function thread and in other eczema-related topics.  I don't think dandelion is used much externally; I've only heard of it used internally.  There are other herbs, too...liver tonics, in general.

I've had it in similar places...that Dead Sea Salt stuff works right away for relief and then for healing.  I do take liver supporting herbs, though...and did a liver flush... ::)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 05:02:23 PM by YooperMama »

Offline Jesuslovinmomma

• Learning
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 03:47:36 AM »
I am 5 weeks pregant with #4. A couple times during my last pregnancy I got an itchy rash, almost like hives. Well before I even found out I was preg this time I developed, what seemed to be an allergic reaction on my arms and legs. Incredibly itchy and uncomfortable!  It started over 2 wks ago, has decreased significantly but still itches morning and night. I started to wonder if there was a connection to being preg. Last preg when I had this rash I looked up online to see if I could get any info, there was some rare liver connection???? I don't remember, but with all the liver cleansing stuff I've been reading I wonder...
Any insights or experience???

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 04:56:14 AM »
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3853.0.html

Here is another thread on the topic. Have you done any research on PUPPS? The Dandelion tincture is good for that. You may find more here on Pupps if you type it into the search engine to the right of the screen. May  you find relief SOON...tea tree oil has helped with itching for me as well as a homeopathic cortizone cream equivalant by Boerickle and Taffle can't remember the name. BUT, these are just topical relief...I would try for the dandelion and maybe some probiotics in case it is yeast related.
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 08:47:40 AM »
I have also had itchy spots! With the first pregnancy, I developed patches all around where my bra was. Right in the middle of my chest would itch so badly, I scratched it raw. Those were bubbly looking, almost like poison ivy. It went away after I had the babies. The rest of the areas around my bra and underarms was more like super dry skin that started looking like leather. I also had a spot on the back of my neck.

This time (I am 22 wks), I started getting the little bubbly spots in the same spot, but they went away within a week or two. The underarms & underwire area are pretty dry, but not too itchy yet. There were some little ones that developed on two of my fingers, as well. They, too, went away shortly.

There are a couple of things I think are different this time. I started taking Supermom last June. I have almost eliminated refined sugars and grains. I thought I had noticed this time that when the rashes appeared, I had had more desserts that weeks than normal. I am trying to keep probiotics in my system and keeping refined sugars out. It seems to help with the skin, even when not preggo.

Offline mommytimesfour

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »
I also had itchy, blustery rashes during my last two pregnancies. I strongly believe it was candida and I know that I have had difficulty with my kidneys because of it. I cleared up really well with the water cleanse although, I could not drink water with salt. I also drank 2oz of 100% cranberry juice every few hours, started taking a whole food suppplement and jungle juice. I cleared up pretty quickly and my kidney's haven't bothered me since. Hope that helps! :)

Offline Jesuslovinmomma

• Learning
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 04:34:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's not candida or dry skin. Very interesting about dandilion, now i was also reading about Milk Thistle for morning sickness. That is also a liver support herb. Does anyone think Milk Thistle would help both things or should I do both?

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 02:04:01 AM »
Okay, I know I'm not pregnant anymore, but.... I posted in a couple different places when I was pregnant about having problems with itchiness. My scalp, I had a little spot on my belly, and my hands would get little patches of itchy bumps, and my breasts itched like crazy. And general itchiness all over. It got worse towards the end of my pregnancy. Well I had my baby Feb. 6 and expected the itchiness to disappear. But it still hasn't, almost 3 months later.  >:(  I'm not positive, but I don't really think that it is candida. When I was pregnant I went yeast and sugar free for about 3 or 4 weeks and there was no change, not even die off symptoms. It's been getting really bad lately. I still itch in the same spot on my belly, and in many other random places. The worst though are my breasts. I've been getting little spots on them, kind of like what was described above. They are tiny little pinpricks, which itch like crazy, scab over and then go away. I tried making my own mama's milk tea, because I read that it was good liver support and all that. But I couldn't drink it, it was the nastiest, bitterest tea I've ever tasted!  :P I also tried starting the water cleanse the other day, but the salt in the water made me feel dehydrated all day. It's driving me nuts! I'm looking for any suggestions that I could try while nursing. I don't think I can do a liver cleanse while nursing, can I? BTW, my baby has no signs of yeast either, no thrush or anything. She does get little diaper rashes every once in a while, but I think they are related to wipes I was using. Thanks  :)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2007, 01:22:30 PM »
My good friend who just had a baby two weeks ago had severe itching on her hands and feet, and eventually her whole body.  It was an odd form of pre-eclampsia.  The itching had something to do with her liver enzymes and blood pressure, but PTL she and baby are both healthy and sound!

Offline Hootie Hoo/the-beth

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 10:21:26 AM »
Okay, I'm telling myself I won't be embarrassed posting this, 'cause every woman has "female problems," right?

Anyway.  I am 19 weeks pregnant.  Pretty much the entire pregnancy I have dealt with painful itching "down there."  Not in the vagina, but all on the outside.  I actually dealt with this when I was on birth control too.  It is one of the reasons I got off The Pill.  Which then lead to the unexpected pregnancy  :o.  Anyway.  Since I dealt with it when on The Pill, I thought it might be hormonal.  It seemed to get a little better when I was off The Pill.

I tried a one dose yeast infection treatment, thinking that's what it was.  It seemed to help for awhile, but then it came back, full force.  I haven't had my doc examine me yet.  I forgot at my last appointment (pregnancy brain, you know  :D).  I have an appointment next week, and I plan on asking about it. 

So, here is the question, finally.  I am super new to all this all-natural stuff.  If it is a yeast infection, what can I do (safely during pregnancy) to treat it?

And if it's not a yeast infection, but something else, I will be back on here asking for advice on that.

Thanks in advance.
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become." Pericles

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »
I get a terrible itch right along my panty line at the very top of my inner thigh....the more i itch the redder and more inflamed it gets. I am convinced its yeast because I got the same thing under my arm when i was pregnant and my Doc said it was yeast.
ALTHOUGH, my husband will also itch and I wonder if its a jock-itch type of thing...a topical anti-fungal cream worked for me in a pinch...when I just couldn;t stand it. It never spread. Never got " worse". Its also hot weather now so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »
No, definitely not the same as that.  This is on the actual genital area (labia/clitoris area). 

I have also tried Summer's Even Max. Strength Anti-Itch Gell (Pramoxine Hydrochloride & Glycerin) and Miconazole Nitrate 2% cream.  Neither of these helped.
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become." Pericles

Offline crystaldew

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 11:30:59 AM »
i am further along, but experiencing the same thing. i have never had any yeast problems or anything. advice, anyone?!
*peace*

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2007, 11:54:03 AM »
Is micanazole nitrate -- Monistat? I found Monistat cream helped a lot..topically....and my Doc at the time said ok.....

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2007, 12:35:50 PM »
Is micanazole nitrate -- Monistat? I found Monistat cream helped a lot..topically....and my Doc at the time said ok.....

Yes, it is just like Monistat.  I actually have two tubes of the cream, WalMart brand and Monistat.  Neither helps.

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2007, 02:09:05 PM »
I am so sorry that you are experiencing this.  It can make your day miserable.  >:(

I would try a mild vinegar rinse a few times a day.  Then, blow dry your genitalia....  :D yessss, that is what I said, blow dry it... don't rinse the vinegar off first.  I got a bit of relief with this regimen when I was pregnant. 

My theory was that the vagina was managing to combat the yeasties but when it got to the outside area, there was some sort of imbalance in the moisture (not enough, too much, low ph, high ph, who knows). 

I also would suggest reducing your intake of sugar, white flour, potatoes, white rice, and that kind of stuff (eat stuff made with whole grains and avoid the high starch foods).  This will give your body a chance to at least see if you are feeding these "baddies".

My sister had the same problem as well and this is what she did (it depends on your living arrangements -- it might not be do-able for you).  She would lie in the sun with her crotch very exposed (spread eagle :-[) to the sun light for about 10 minutes a day.  [she just wore a dress with no panties and then she could just flip it up or down as needed ;)].  I don't know if it was the sunlight or the unrestricted air but it made her feel much better.

Good luck. 

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
I would try a mild vinegar rinse a few times a day.  Then, blow dry your genitalia....  :D yessss, that is what I said, blow dry it... don't rinse the vinegar off first.  I got a bit of relief with this regimen when I was pregnant. 

What do you consider a "mild vinegar rinse?"

Offline mommyof3

• Adept
    • Discovery Toys
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
I need some ideas of what could be causing me to itch like crazy when I get warm!?? Sometimes it's simply started by vacuuming the house. When I get warm and/or hot I start itching like crazy all over and I even break out in red rashes or hives if bad enough! I was in a hot tub one time and when I got out I was covered in HUGE, very itchy hives!! Becuz I had gotten so warm. The only thing I could do to stop the discomfort was to go to sleep. What could be causing this and any ideas on a cure?? I'm 5mons pregnant so I can't really cleanse my body to see if that clears it up or not. I've had this problem for the last couple of years or so. I was going to do a cleanse before this pregnancy but I was nursing another lil one and well thats about all I need to say. Any ideas???  ???

Offline jry

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2007, 05:15:22 AM »
I am in the last week or two of my 6th pregnancy and just itch all over.  This happened with my 5th pregnancy, but earlier in the pregnancy (probably 8 months or so), so I'm thankful this has held off, but I am rather miserable!  The itching gets so bad at times that I have actually bruised my legs and arms (not intentionally, but after itching and itching).  Sometimes it is the bottoms of my feet, or my toes, or the palms of my hands, or my belly, or...  So, it is not limited to one area of my body.  I've tried changing soap, I've tried slathering on lotion...  With pregnancy #5 when I asked the midwife/doctor, she wasn't much help--just looked at me kind of strange.

Any advice???

jry

YoopreMama

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2007, 01:44:24 PM »
As a quick solution to the itching, I would second the vinegar suggestion.  I use a diluted solution of Apple Cider Vinegar...maybe a few tablespoons/glass and put it in a squirt bottle or jar--I rub it on when I start to itch.  Very soothing. 

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2007, 03:17:19 PM »
Hello,
I am 35 weeks pregnant and it is 3 o'clock in the morning. I cannot sleep because my hands and feet (feet especially) are itching so bad... I don't recall this ever happening to me during this pregnancy or my two other pregnancies... Does anybody know what this is, what causes it and how to get some relief (and sleep !) ? Soaking my feet in COLD water helps and I just put some moisterizing mineral lotion on them, but even though they know feel all soft and moisterized, they still itch.... By the way, my fingers and toes are a bit swollen these days, but I guess that's normal.
Thanks for any help you may have !

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2007, 04:09:20 PM »
I think I remember reading that this can be a symptom of a liver disorder during pregnancy...it's rare, but it's definitely something you need to mention to your doctor.  I will look for the website I read it on and post it here when I find it.
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2007, 04:10:51 PM »
Here is the website:

http://www.itchymoms.com/
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2007, 04:32:14 PM »
I had this on my hands during my 3rd pregnancy.  One spot itched in the middle of my hands.  It was annoying, but it doesn't sound as bad as yours is.  It actually got better towards the end for some reason.  The doctor said it was normal, due to the increase in hormones.

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2007, 11:45:50 PM »
At about 37 weeks, I erupted with a PUPPPS rash all over my body.   :P  The palms of my hands and my feet are the worst of all and it is so very painful!  I tried soaking in an oatmeal bath, but it didn't give much relief.  I have found epsom salt baths and foot soaks to be incredibly soothing.  It's about the only way I can stop the itching entirely for a brief period of time. 

I've changed my diet in case this is sugar/yeast related, and I'm taking the dandelion root in a capsule form.  I'll have to update letting everyone know how this works.  I'm hoping it will go away soon, or at least the the itching will lessen.  It is keeping me from sleeping well at night right now.  (Hence, my typing this post after being awake since 3 a.m.!) 

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2007, 02:52:22 AM »
At about 37 weeks, I erupted with a PUPPPS rash all over my body.   :P  The palms of my hands and my feet are the worst of all and it is so very painful!  I tried soaking in an oatmeal bath, but it didn't give much relief.  I have found epsom salt baths and foot soaks to be incredibly soothing.  It's about the only way I can stop the itching entirely for a brief period of time. 

I've changed my diet in case this is sugar/yeast related, and I'm taking the dandelion root in a capsule form.  I'll have to update letting everyone know how this works.  I'm hoping it will go away soon, or at least the the itching will lessen.  It is keeping me from sleeping well at night right now.  (Hence, my typing this post after being awake since 3 a.m.!) 

So sorry to hear this, my prayers are with you --I truly hope you find continuous relief soon!
Sandra (natural)
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Becky Jane Designs

• Learning
    • Becky Jane Designs
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2007, 06:26:05 AM »
This is my 4th pregnancy and I have begun to learn more and more each time.  This time we were really hoping to get to go through a midwife, but finances fell through.   :(  But, we have a good Dr who has a reputation for being midwife friendly.

Each pregnancy I develop a rash starting on my stomach, and sometimes spreading to my extremities.  My first pregnancy was the least healthy and the most affected by the rash.  The Dr I had at the time looked at it, did a NST, had my blood tested for liver problems and in the end just labeled it PUPPS, which is pretty much a generic name for whatever odd rashes that happen while you are pregnant that they don't know what else to call.

Well, here I am at 27weeks and the rash is back!  When we spoke with a midwife at the beginning of the pregnancy she seemed to think that it did have to do with the liver not being able to filter all the extra stuff going on.  She said that the Dr just wouldn't know how to look into it more to find out what was really going on.

So, since I do not have a midwife to ask, has anyone faced this, and how can I deal with it?  It gets VERY itchy at times.  The last Dr I had just said to use hydrocortisone cream.

Thanks for your help!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2007, 06:50:10 AM »
Pam Cadwell has a special pregnancy herbal tincture called Itch relief or something like that, for PUPPS,ect

http://herblore.com/cgi-bin/dba/store/db.cgi?uid=default&ma=0&sb=15&switch=1&view_records=1&name=Itch+Relief+Tincture&category=Pregnancy+and+Birth

Offline Becky Jane Designs

• Learning
    • Becky Jane Designs
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2007, 09:56:58 AM »
Oh, this makes me happy!  My previous post got moved into this thread, so I was able to read through it.  I am so excited to find that people have had success with the Dandelion Root tincture.  I do think this is liver-related, so I am hoping for the best!  I managed to get my hands on some today and started taking it, so I will hopefully update you very soon!
Thank you!

Offline mcevjael

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2009, 01:58:24 AM »
I am 6 weeks pregnant with my 5th child and have horrible hives. They began slowly a few weeks ago and have now progressed to covering most of my body at different times. This is the only pregnancy with hives. This is also the only pregnancy withouth morning sickness.  I guess there is still time! ;) I took half a benedryl last night just to get some sleep but I would like to keep it natural. Any suggestions?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009, 04:07:18 AM »
A friend of mine had a bad rash in pregnancy called PuPPs, and found that dandelion root cleared it up in a few days.  Dandelion is a mild liver cleanser, and is acutally used in Mother's Milk Teas as well...so it's safe to use.  The liver filters out oil based compounds, and ends up handling LOTS of hormones at the beginning and end of your pregnancy. 

Do a little research in amounts, and talk to your doc or midwife.  But that's what I'd try first!

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.