Author Topic: GAPS Introduction Diet RECIPES: Stages 1-3  (Read 17951 times)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
GAPS Introduction Diet RECIPES: Stages 1-3
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:33:07 AM »
NOTE: This is a recipe thread for the first three stages of the introduction to the GAPS diet -not the GAPS diet itself. I have copied information on the first three stages of the Intro Diet and pasted it below.

To post a recipe here, please type the stage in which the recipe can be used at the top of the post, in all caps. This is so people can quickly find them without looking thru a bunch of recipes for food they can not eat. ;)

A separate recipe thread will be posted for stages 4-6.

For more info on GAPS go to http://gapsdiet.com/Home_Page.html

For tips, testimonies, and support a thread has been started here http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,20533.0.html

GAPS Introduction Diet IMPLEMENTING THE DIET
Provided by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride

1.    Introduction Diet
2.    The Full GAPS Diet with the typical menu.

INTRODUCTION DIET

I recommend that most GAPS patients follow the Introduction Diet before going into the Full GAPS Diet.  Depending on the severity of your patient's condition he or she can move through this program as fast or as slow as his/her condition will permit: for example you may move through the First Stage in one or two days and then spend longer on the Second Stage.  Following the Introduction Diet fully is essential for people with diarrhea or severe constipation: it reduces symptoms quickly and speeds up the healing process in the digestive system.  Even for healthy people, if you or your child gets a 'tummy bug' or any other profuse diarrhea, following the Introduction Diet for a few days will clear the symptoms quickly and permanently without needing any medication.

Those without severe digestive problems can move through the Introduction Diet quite quickly.  However, please do not be tempted to skip the Introduction Diet and go straight into the Full GAPS Diet, because the Introduction Diet will give your patient the best chance to optimize the healing process in the gut and the rest of the body.  I see many cases where skipping the Introduction Diet leads to long-term lingering problems, difficult to deal with.

Start the day with a cup of still mineral or filtered water.  Give your patient the probiotic.  Make sure that the water is warm or room temperature, not cold, as cold will aggravate his or her condition.  Only foods listed are allowed: your patient must not have anything else.  On the First Stage the most drastic symptoms of abdominal pain, diarrhea and constipation will quickly subside.  If, when you introduce a new food, your patient gets back diarrhea, pain or any other digestive symptoms then he/she is not ready for that food to be introduced.  Wait for a week and try again.

If you suspect an allergy to any particular food, before introducing it do the Sensitivity Test.  Take a drop of the food in question (if the food is solid, mash and mix with a bit of water) and place it on the inside of the wrist of the patient.  Do it at bedtime.  Let the drop dry on the skin, then let your patient go to sleep.  In the morning check the spot: if there is an angry red reaction, then avoid that food for a few weeks, and then try again.  If there is no reaction, then go ahead and introduce it gradually starting from a small amount.

First Stage

Homemade meat or fish stock.  Meat and fish stocks provide building blocks for the rapidly growing cells of the gut lining and they have a soothing effect on any areas of inflammation in the gut.  That is why they aid digestion and have been known for centuries as healing folk remedies for the digestive tract.  Do not use commercially available soup stock granules or bullion cubes, they are highly processed and are full of detrimental ingredients.  Chicken stock is particularly gentle on the stomach and is very good to start from.  To make good meat stock you need joints, bones, a piece of meat on the bone, a whole chicken, giblets from chicken, goose or duck, whole pigeons, pheasants or other inexpensive meats.  It is essential to use bones and joints, as they provide the healing substances, not so much the muscle meats.  Ask the butcher to cut in half the large tubular bones, so you can get the bone marrow out of them after cooking.  Put the bones, joints and meats into a large pan and fill it with water, add natural unprocessed salt to your taste at the beginning of cooking and about a teaspoon of black peppercorns, roughly crushed.  Bring to boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for 2.5-3 hours.  You can make fish stock the same way using a whole fish or fish fins, bones and heads.  After cooking take the bones and meats out and sieve the stock to remove small bones and pepper corns.  Strip off all the soft tissues from the bones as best as you can to later add to soups or encourage your patient to eat all the soft tissues on the bones.  Extract the bone marrow out of large tubular bones while they are still warm: to do that bang the bone on a thick wooden chopping board.  The gelatinous soft tissues around the bones and the bone marrow provide some of the best healing remedies for the gut lining and the immune system; your patient needs to consume them with every meal.  Take off all the soft tissues from fish bones and heads and reserve for adding to soups later.  The meat or fish stock will keep well in the fridge for at least 7 days or it can be frozen.  Keep giving your patient warm meat stock as a drink all day with his meals and between meals.  Do not use microwaves for warming up the stock, use conventional stove (microwaves destroy food).  It is very important for your patient to consume all the fat in the stock and off the bones as these fats are essential for the healing process.  Add some probiotic food into every cup of stock (the details about introducing probiotic food follow).

Homemade soup with your homemade meat or fish stock.  Please look for some recipe ideas in the recipe section of the book.  Here we will go through some details, specific for the Introduction Diet.  Bring some of the meat stock to boil, add chopped or sliced vegetables: onions, carrots, broccoli, leeks, cauliflower, courgettes, marrow, squash, pumpkin, etc. and simmer for 25-35 minutes.  You can choose any combination of available vegetables avoiding very fibrous ones, such as all varieties of cabbage and celery.  All particularly fibrous parts of vegetables need to be removed, such as skin and seeds on pumpkins, marrows and squashes, stock of broccoli and cauliflower and any other parts that look too fibrous.  Cook the vegetables well, so they are really soft.  When vegetables are well cooked, add 1-2 tablespoons of chopped garlic, bring to boil and turn the heat off.  Give your patient this soup with the bone marrow and meats and other soft tissues, which you cut off the bones.  You can blend the soup using a soup blender or serve it as it is.  Add some probiotic food into every bowl of soup (the details about introducing probiotic foods follow).  Your patient should eat these soups with boiled meat and other soft tissues off the bones as often as he/she wants to all day.

Probiotic foods are essential to introduce right from the beginning.  These can be dairy based or vegetable based.  To avoid any reactions introduce probiotic foods gradually, starting from 1-2 teaspoons a day for 2-5 days, then 3-4 teaspoons a day for 2-5 days and so on until you can add a few teaspoons of the probiotic food into every cup of meat stock and every bowl of soup.  If your patient is ready to introduce dairy, then use your homemade yogurt or kefir.  If dairy are still out, then into every cup of meat stock or soup add juice from your homemade sauerkraut, fermented vegetables or vegetable medley (please look in the recipe section of the book).  Make sure that the food is not too hot when adding the probiotic foods, as the heat would destroy the beneficial probiotic bacteria.

Ginger tea with a little honey between meals.  To make ginger tea, grate some fresh ginger root (about a teaspoonful) into your teapot and pour some boiling water over it, cover and leave for 3-5 minutes.  Pour through a small sieve and add honey to taste (optional).

Second Stage:

Keep giving your patient the soups with bone marrow, boiled meats or fish and other soft tissues off the bones.  He or she should keep drinking the meat stock and ginger tea.  Keep adding some probiotic food into every cup of meat stock and every bowl of soup: juices from sauerkraut, fermented vegetables or vegetable medley, or homemade kefir/yogurt.

Add raw organic egg yolks.  It is best to have egg yolks raw added to every bowl of soup and every cup of meat stock.  Start from 1 egg yolk a day and gradually increase until your patient has an egg yolk with every bowl of soup.  When egg yolks are well tolerated add soft-boiled eggs to the soups (the whites cooked and the yolks still runny).  If you have any concerns about egg allergy, do the sensitivity test first.  There is no need to limit number of egg yolks per day, as they absorb quickly almost without needing any digestion and will provide your patient with wonderful and most needed nutrition.  Get your eggs from the source you trust: fresh, free range and organic.

Add stews and casseroles made with meats and vegetables.  Avoid spices at this stage, just make the stew with salt and fresh herbs (look for a recipe of Italian Casserole in the recipe section of the book).  The fat content of these meals must be quite high: the more fresh animal fats your patient consumes, the quicker he or she will recover.  Add some probiotic food into every serving.

Increase daily amount of homemade yogurt and kefir, if introduced.  Increase the amount of juice from sauerkraut, fermented vegetables or vegetable medley.

Introduce fermented fish, starting from one piece a day and gradually increasing.  Look for recipes in recipe section.

Introduce homemade ghee, starting from 1 teaspoon a day and gradually increasing.

Third Stage:

Carry on with the previous foods.

Add ripe avocado mashed into soups, starting from 1-3 teaspoons and gradually increasing the amount.

Add pancakes, starting from one pancake a day and gradually increasing the amount.  Make these pancakes with three ingredients: 1) organic nut butter (almond, walnut, peanut, etc); 2) eggs; 3) a piece of fresh winter squash, marrow or courgette (peeled, de-seeded and well blended in a food processor).  Fry small thin pancakes using ghee, goose fat or duck fat, make sure not to burn them.

Egg scrambled with plenty of ghee, goose fat or duck fat.  Serve it with avocado (if well tolerated) and cooked vegetables.  Cooked onion is particularly good for the digestive system and the immune system: melt 3 tablespoons of duck fat or ghee in the pan, add sliced large white onion, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes on low heat.

Introduce the sauerkraut and your fermented vegetables (your patient has been drinking the juices from them for a while now).  Start from a small amount, gradually increasing to 1-2 tablespoons of sauerkraut or fermented vegetables per every meal.

WR
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 08:44:04 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline firecattx

• Adept
Re: GAPS Introduction Diet RECIPES: Stages 1-3
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 05:31:34 AM »
Help me understand the intro diet! I have read the book and belong to the gaps yahoo group but for some reason I can't wrap my mind around how to implement the intro diet. 
How long are you supposed to be on the intro diet?
How quickly do you move through the stages of the intro diet?
After the intro, how quickly do you move through the stages of the "real" gaps diet?

Offline Linguist77

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:07:41 AM »
As you requested, Firecat, some ideas for stages 1-3:

* Simmer simple meatballs in beef broth (make meatballs with ground beef, onion, garlic, salt, fresh sage).

* Blend soups if your children have trouble eating veggie pieces and/or broth.

* I recommend going ahead and using whichever broth you aren't allergic to; not only chicken, but beef and lamb as well. I suppose if you're allergic to one of those meats, you'd better wait a while before trying it.

* Butternut squash soup -- simmer butternut squash (I bake mine first to make it easy to separate from the peel) in broth along with a little chunk of fresh ginger root and some salt. Blend with stick blender. I can't imagine a kid not wanting to drink this sweet soup! Now that we've been on the diet a while, we add some cinnamon, but you may not want to do that at first.

* Adding juice from fermented veggies is very good, but we didn't have this juice when we started, so I waited a little and then served small amounts of ginger carrots, pickles, or sauerkraut with the soups.

* We added avocado before we got to stage 3. I knew that the boys could tolerate it, and there were some things we had to postpone (like ghee and nut flour).

* Don't be afraid to try the egg yolk in the soup, starting with just 1/3 of a yolk to test it out. My boys were so enthusiastic about the new taste of their soup, and we still do this. We've only done this with blended soups -- I put the yolk in the mug or bowl, add some steaming hot blended soup, stir immediately so it mixes in, then add more soup to fill the mug, stirring again at the end. The soup tastes very rich with egg yolk.

* Once you know that eggs are fine, do try making the little pancakes with egg and squash (and nut flour if you can -- we skipped it and found the egg and squash to work well as pancakes). Mash avocado with a little water and salt to make a nice pancake dip.

* Don't forget about organ meats -- they are softer and probably easier to digest than muscle meats. I'm going to make the heart kabob recipe from Nourishing Traditions next week. I plan to marinate the cubed heart in homemade pickle juice.

* Bring hard-boiled eggs with you for snacks. Don't forget to bring salt, or it will taste very blah.

* Order some plain grass-fed beef pemmican from www.uswellnessmeats.com for travel food. Can't go wrong with beef tallow and dried beef. If you can tolerate it, get the raw honey & dried cherry version. Pemmican is an acquired taste for adults, but most children seem to like it.

* Baden (from the Yahoo group) has started a blog with some other great ideas: http://gapsguide.wordpress.com (the post about kids and broth)

Here are our favorite soup combos:

* Butternut squash and ginger (best with chicken broth)

* Broccoli with fresh dill -- use only the "tree tops" at first; add stalks when you can handle more fibrous veggies

* Cauliflower - zucchini - basil

* Broccoli, basil, and lamb's liver -- believe it or not, this actually tasted good. Use half of a lamb's liver for this one (about 1/2 lb). Simmer everything in broth and blend with stick blender. Make sure to add plenty of basil and don't forget the salt! This soup is very filling.

That's all I have time for now, but I'll post again if I think of more.

HTH,
Laura
Laura in Arizona

www.theylivedintents.com

M, age 4: "I'm a good tornado that looks like a frog!"

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 06:12:16 PM »
Wow!!  Thanks Laura, I'm not Firecat, but this gave me some more ideas on what to fix for the kids.   ;D

I'm going to have to try the liver soup :o :o  I don't know if I could eat liver, but I guess if the kids don't know it won't taste any different than meat. 

Misty
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline Linguist77

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »
Well, if you want to be sneaky about the liver, better put less in than I suggested! This soup definitely had liver taste. But I think I just may be getting used to it.

Glad to help, BTW! I sure wouldn't mind if other people posted some ideas, so I don't keep repeating all the stuff I mentioned above! We're sort of stuck right now. None of the boys can handle any new stuff I've introduced. Sigh. Need to wait a little longer, I guess.
Laura in Arizona

www.theylivedintents.com

M, age 4: "I'm a good tornado that looks like a frog!"

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 07:54:47 AM »
Bump
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
Any new Ideas ? I'd like to try out a few meals and make up a meal Itinerary before going on the diet itself.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline beesbabe

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
In Nourishing Traditions they say to soak the liver in lemon or whey for seven hours to get rid of the bitter taste.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm more willing to try liver now that I know about soaking it.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 12:43:47 PM »
I can't seem to remember what all soups I made. Pinch and dash style here...  ::)

I know one of my basic methods was to take recipes we already liked and alter them to fit the stage we were on. Please remember that just because a recipe worked for us does not mean that it will work for your family. We have a relatively short list of allergens and ready access  ;) to raw goat milk and homegrown meat and eggs- all soy and GMO corn free. (As I found out alot of organic is not.) We did not have access to fish.

I did 1-3 days of broth, tea, and soft meat to clear the intestines so we could better observe reactions to veggies. I did try to add only one new veggie every couple days. I would take leftover soup and blend for a new texture then add cooked meatballs/ shredded chopped meat to each bowl.
I used the stick blender on the soft tissues off of the joints and out of  the bones and just put all of that into each batch of broth/stock.

Chicken Rice Soup

Chicken stock seasoned with a stalk of celery, onion, several parsley leaves and peppercorns. Cook and then strain broth. Add mashed or riced cauliflower, grated carrot, and finely diced chicken. Season with salt to taste. Cook until veggies are soft. Add a bit of fresh garlic puree. Don't forget to serve with some kraut liquid. This soup is really good with egg yolk in stage 2.

Beef and Pumpkin Stew (really cushaw squash or non fibrous pie pumpkin)

Beef broth seasoned with peppercorns and strained. Add small diced pumpkin and salt and cook until soft. Add diced, shredded beef and pumpkin puree. I also used a bit of chicken fat to balance the flavors.
Serve with the obligatory dash of fresh garlic and kraut liquid. This is also wonderful with a swirl of blended kefir (sour cream mimic  ;) if you pour a circle you can then make awesome designs by dragging a knife through in an X.)

Cabbage Borcsht

Chicken broth simmered with peppercorn ( and in late stages 2-3 bay leaf and cayenne pepper. Add chopped chicken, cauliflower (or other tolerated cruciferous), and onion. (I didn't use potatoes, but I forget if that was from the GAPS requirements or elsewhere.)  Add generous fresh garlic to taste. Either add kefir or yogurt until creamy or swirl each bowl individually.

Tomato Soup Stage 2-3
Tomato juice seasoned with salt and  blended with broth rich with chicken fat. Simmer with peppercorns or fresh basil as desired. Serve with kefir or yogurt for a creamy version. Serve as an appetizer or with meatballs and summer squash casserole on the side in stage 2.
Or make small meatballs and simmer in the tomato juice/ chicken broth combo. Add small chunks of tomato or kefir curd. Season with fresh parsley, basil, or oregano. Add fermented veggie juice or kefir/yogurt.

Veggie Minestrone

Broth (combination is good) simmered with celery and peppercorns
zucchini or summer squash
carrot
green beans
onion and/ or leek
tomato
salt
Season with thyme, basil, garlic and dash of cayenne. Add chicken fat/olive oil/ghee as permitted.
It's more work, but it adds visual interest if you cook each veggie separately and arrange a small helping of each around the bowl before filling with broth.

Some others...cream of/French onion or leek soup. Kraut juice subs for the traditional white wine, cider, etc. Use yogurt or kefir for the cream.

Creamed Dill Hamburger soup. Boil your ground meat in seasoned broth then crumble. Add kefir/yogurt garlic, dill leaf and onion to taste.

Greek avegolemono with riced cauliflower instead of rice. Also just the egg yolks for stage 2. Sub kraut juice for the lemon as needed.

Beef stew... I blended summer squash into the broth then added chopped, shredded beef, onion, green beans and carrot. Season your broth with salt, peppercorns, celery or parsley as desired.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »
*I did 1-3 days of broth, tea, and soft meat to clear the intestines so we could better observe reactions to veggies.*
I like this Idea was it a liquid fast of sorts?

Dh, has been programmed to have bread,cornbread or crackers with any soup is there something that I could sub for the (soaking up feeling) in the first stages? I know that later I could use the bread/cracker recipe in the book.

Sherri

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 02:18:49 PM »
It occurred to me that my reply didn't really fit in the recipe section. Please check the other thread...

Offline NicoleLynn

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »
Blended soups are awesome, blend just about anything and it tastes better.

1. Creamed Carrot: simmer chopped carrots, onions and fresh thyme in beef stock (or chicken) for 30 minutes or until very soft. Remove thyme stem, blend and season as desired with salt and pepper. I suddenly had developed a slight aversion to the taste of plain beef broth so blending it with these veggies made it delectable.

2. Beef Soup de Provence: simmer diced beef from making stock, carrots, onions and a pinch of dried herbes de provence until carrots and onions are very soft. Serve with a clove of fresh pressed garlic per bowl. As I mentioned above, I was trying to figure out a way to make beef stock more palatable. The herbs de provence and fresh pressed garlic really made the soup.

3. Cream of Vegetable: simmer equal parts chopped carrots, rutabaga, onion, zuchinni and fresh thyme in chicken stock. Remove thyme stem, puree and season to taste with salt and pepper.

I'm between stage 2 and 3, I've already introduced cooked eggs and ghee, but nothing else besides a few cooked veggies.

I personally only spent a couple of days on stage 1 and 2 as I am already pretty detoxed from eating only meat, veggies, eggs and butter for the past month. I will probably be on stage 3 for a few months, due to parasites and candida I am not going to risk introducing fruit, honey, nuts or legumes to my weak digestive system. I'll slowly start re-introducing some raw veggies in a few weeks.

So I'll post more recipes as they come.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:40:18 PM »
Hmmm, well I was expecting this thread to be a little meatier for some reason!  I guess soup it is for awhile, lol.  Anyone got more ideas that have not been shared? THanks!
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 06:21:44 AM »
This thread is just for Stage 1-3 which is alot of broth and only soft foods. You can put tolerated veggies and soft meats together into a casserole form if you like.

Squash casseroles,  crustless quiches in stage 3.

If barely sweetened honey pumpkin custard is acceptable that's another option for stage 3.

Kefir with a little honey and cinnamon, and mock up eggnog.

Stage 3 was nice for us, as soy free, free ranging eggs were tolerated by us all and we could go back to eggs for breakfast, and applesauce or steamed apples.
Towards the end of stage 3 soaked nut flour and egg pancakes with steamed apples.
Veggie omelets.